First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Japan
11280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/10/10 , edited 10/14/10

orangeflute wrote:

Yes, accepting new ideas, I get that much, but, as I said, their fashion is directly modelled on attaining a 'Western Look', with dyes, contacts, and all, and their language have opted to replace older but otherwise perfectly fine words with an English equivelent. There is a fine line between 'imitation' and 'embracing other's culture', cameras that make your eyes more 'western' is not 'embracing other culture', its 'imitation'.


OK... so far, almost every example you have given to support your argument has been something to do with physical appearance. And since I can see there's no point in arguing with you, I'll give you what you want to hear:

Why do Japanese people try to imitate the physical appearance of Western people?

Obviously many Japanese people must find Western people more physically attractive than other Japanese people. Simple as that.

This was already addressed in a previous reply:


ChronicAddict wrote:

There's a reason that anime characters have crazy hair and eye colors. If you ever go to Japan you'll realize it really quick. When you walk through the streets you see a sea of black hair. Pretty much everyone has the same eye and hair color.

And I think that anime characters have big eyes because they don't. Same kinda thing.


Is it really that hard to understand? If you and all of your friends had identical hair, eye, and skin colour, wouldn't you have some desire to change something about your appearance to make you stand out a little bit?

As for the Japanese adopting many English words into their language, this is because English is ubiquitous in developed countries all over the world. It's the language of business, of the internet, and some would argue it's the most prevalent language in science. Rather than being stubborn and refusing to accept a foreign language in their everyday lives (like the Francophone Québécois in Canada), the Japanese are embracing English to make international communication and business easier.
503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 10/20/10
BANZAI NIPPON!
35717 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Tokyo (東京)
Offline
Posted 10/20/10
nippon *chachacha* nippon!
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/2/10

Rubdown wrote:


orangeflute wrote:

Yes, accepting new ideas, I get that much, but, as I said, their fashion is directly modelled on attaining a 'Western Look', with dyes, contacts, and all, and their language have opted to replace older but otherwise perfectly fine words with an English equivelent. There is a fine line between 'imitation' and 'embracing other's culture', cameras that make your eyes more 'western' is not 'embracing other culture', its 'imitation'.


OK... so far, almost every example you have given to support your argument has been something to do with physical appearance. And since I can see there's no point in arguing with you, I'll give you what you want to hear:

Why do Japanese people try to imitate the physical appearance of Western people?

Obviously many Japanese people must find Western people more physically attractive than other Japanese people. Simple as that.

This was already addressed in a previous reply:


ChronicAddict wrote:

There's a reason that anime characters have crazy hair and eye colors. If you ever go to Japan you'll realize it really quick. When you walk through the streets you see a sea of black hair. Pretty much everyone has the same eye and hair color.

And I think that anime characters have big eyes because they don't. Same kinda thing.


Is it really that hard to understand? If you and all of your friends had identical hair, eye, and skin colour, wouldn't you have some desire to change something about your appearance to make you stand out a little bit?

As for the Japanese adopting many English words into their language, this is because English is ubiquitous in developed countries all over the world. It's the language of business, of the internet, and some would argue it's the most prevalent language in science. Rather than being stubborn and refusing to accept a foreign language in their everyday lives (like the Francophone Québécois in Canada), the Japanese are embracing English to make international communication and business easier.


Well- other Asian nations do not have such problems, and I am sure that their citizenry just as much wants to stand out.
Also- why would they find Westerners more physically attractive- because the media depicts that as the ultimate source of beauty, and why would the media do so? Imitation.

In addition, God bless them for adopting English, but the adoption of English does not mean replacing otherwise fine words with their English equivilent- no, it means that students learn it as a seperate language. The Francophones in Quebec, additionally, are quite right in retaining their language and preserving it against the onsault of the Anglophones, a language is tied in with one's culture, the loss of a language is the lost of one's cultural identity. I am sure, as Anglophones, that we wouldn't want to have Chinese down our throats now that China is the rising Economic Powerhouse of the World, and that we would both agree that perfectly fine words for everyday items- such as Computer and Telephone- should be replaced by 'Diannao' and 'Dianhua'.
111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/4/10
ok orange my question to you is why does America imitate japan so much and don't tell me Americans don't or as much because you talk about clothes and surgery don't think we don't have the same things going on here. so if you can answer that you will have the answer to why japan does it as well.
1142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / PLACES
Offline
Posted 12/4/10

Mcake wrote:

ok orange my question to you is why does America imitate japan so much and don't tell me Americans don't or as much because you talk about clothes and surgery don't think we don't have the same things going on here. so if you can answer that you will have the answer to why japan does it as well.


I can take on this question.

America DOES NOT imitate Japan. They never have. Japan is a part of pop culture and that is all. A lot of Americans don't pay a tremendous amount of respect to Japan just because it's Japan - obnoxious wapanese like the people on these forums do that. Not only this, but America has been doing plastic surgery for AGES before Japan even caught onto it.
111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/4/10
and there "imitation" of America is not a pop culture to them? and what are you talking about in a year around 2 million americans visit japan and some stay and live there. that's not respect? and what does the thing of imitation have to do with respect anyways and second why don't you drop the "I'm better then everyone else" attitude obnoxious wapanese? please your grouped in with everyone else on this forum for liking anime so why don't you just grow up and act like a 23 year old and not 12 please thanks.

and i don't think you understood what i meant with plastic surgery i meant americans making there eyes look like there Japanese

Posted 12/5/10 , edited 12/5/10

Mcake wrote:

and there "imitation" of America is not a pop culture to them? and what are you talking about in a year around 2 million americans visit japan and some stay and live there. that's not respect? and what does the thing of imitation have to do with respect anyways and second why don't you drop the "I'm better then everyone else" attitude obnoxious wapanese? please your grouped in with everyone else on this forum for liking anime so why don't you just grow up and act like a 23 year old and not 12 please thanks.

and i don't think you understood what i meant with plastic surgery i meant americans making there eyes look like there Japanese



2 million people is nothing for America. And I'm sure people don't move to Japan because they "respect" them. I wouldn't start all over in a new country because I "respect" them.

And liking anime and being a wapanese are two COMPLETELY different things.

If anyone is acting like a 12 year old its you. Why bother defending Japan when it is clearly obvious that they infact DO borrow and partake in activities common in the West.
Using crap excuses like "respect" and generalizing people who like anime with the...I'll call them less down-to-earth anime fans.
SHAME

And nowhere in angrierchicks response did she give off an "I'm better than everyone else" attitude.
111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/5/10
you have me all wrong and took what i said wrong one im not defending anyone im simply stating my opinion i could care less if the Japanese imitate us.

And two angrierchick started up the whole respect thing.

And three did i say i was generalizing people with other people? excuses me im sure ive been an anime fan before you were born im not sure since your age is 85 on your profile but that also assumes your young.and with that i accept ANYONE that enjoys Anime even these so called waponese. and my point is not that japan dose not copy America in some things but that America also does copy other country's as well and to say they dont is just ignorant.

and im sorry if i missed judged her thinking she was better then anyone but when you put people into a catagory that demeans others i take that that has her having a im better then everyone attitude.and i said she was grouped in with people that liked anime.
1142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / PLACES
Offline
Posted 12/5/10 , edited 12/5/10

Mcake wrote:

and there "imitation" of America is not a pop culture to them? and what are you talking about in a year around 2 million americans visit japan and some stay and live there. that's not respect? and what does the thing of imitation have to do with respect anyways and second why don't you drop the "I'm better then everyone else" attitude obnoxious wapanese? please your grouped in with everyone else on this forum for liking anime so why don't you just grow up and act like a 23 year old and not 12 please thanks.

and i don't think you understood what i meant with plastic surgery i meant americans making there eyes look like there Japanese



Two million people is SOOOOO something. </sarcasm>

Honestly, 2 Million Americans going into a country isn't shit, especially when you consider that the population of the United States is in the area of ~305M. Japan's population is 127.3M, and the Americans that do go to Japan are usually only there on quick trips. Japan is a tourist attraction just like New York, Chicago, Milan, Paris, Rio de Janerio, St. Petersburg, etc. Alot of people are STATIONED in Japan as well. It has nothing to do with respect at all if you're going to be stationed in Japan, or do a study abroad trip in Japan. There are countries and cities I would like to visit, but other than realizing that it's simply a city, that's it. Many do not choose to live there at all, literally because living in Japan is a MASSIVE culture shock, and I know this from experience. You also haven't referred to the people that come back. The JET program is NOT a path to citizenship, either. Most people who do the JET program COME BACK.

Also, if you would pay some goddamn attention, Americans make up about 2.4% of Japan's population, the actual number of this being about 51,851. What happened to those other ~1.9M? What happened to that statistic that you so conveniently pulled out of your ass?

Come up with one damn source where Americans make their eyes look more Japanese.

Yes. I'm being quite condescending and rude towards you. You think that you know anything about Japan at all, when you're like so many other people in the forums and have never visited, and actually don't know jack. And last I recall, if you liked anime or other aspects of Japanese culture, that didn't constitute a Wapanese. Either I'm wrong or you need to get off of the internet until you learn how to research things before you randomly spew them out. I just want to know what is it with people like you that sit here and try to defend a country that you have never been to, and know nothing about, and when you're told the opposite from people that HAVE BEEN THERE for any real length of time, you plug your fingers in your ears. The truth isn't going to kill you. Perhaps it's just a realization that Japan is JUST A COUNTRY, just like any other, and doesn't suffer from Americans wanting to imitate it all of the time. Japan emulates the West WAYYYY more than the West emulates Japan, and at times, it is to the extent where young people there actually have open contempt for their own culture.
111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/5/10
as i told otaku fan you had what i said all wrong I'm not defending them I'm just saying that Americans imitate them too I'm done with someone that has so much rage they cant have a intellectual conversation its just not worth it. call me a pansy say I'm running away and backing off. fine I don't care lol you have your opinions and i have mine your points were valid and i believe so were mine. we will have to agree to disagree now. have a nice day
16562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / New York City
Offline
Posted 12/6/10
they like the culture??? just like how we may like theirs... the whole world is doing this
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.