First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
A Different Look at Human Values
Posted 7/11/10 , edited 7/11/10
Form "rent a friend" in the US, to "rent white foreigners" in China. The two superpowers are more alike in human values than they would admit; even human compassion and face value is marketable under the business ethic of "the bottom line".

Personally, I feel dreadful about this materialistic attitude on the positivity of humanity. At the same time I find this as a real sign of just how bad we humans have become as social animals; there are those who'll sell even their social selves in the pursuit of monetary incentives.
55941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / Midwest, rural Am...
Offline
Posted 7/11/10
ok, I'll take the positive outlook--
Rent a friend: can help develop social skills for those who may not know how to even start a conversation, or are anxious about initiating contacts-- you might have to pay for counseling or pay for an opportunity to experience it.
Rent a white foreigner: even if it's for all the wrong reasons, this can't help but promote international interactions for both cultures.
so, my take may be too idealistic, but there could be a little validity to these scenarios....................
Posted 7/11/10 , edited 7/11/10

farmbird wrote:

ok, I'll take the positive outlook--
Rent a friend: can help develop social skills for those who may not know how to even start a conversation, or are anxious about initiating contacts-- you might have to pay for counseling or pay for an opportunity to experience it.
Rent a white foreigner: even if it's for all the wrong reasons, this can't help but promote international interactions for both cultures.
so, my take may be too idealistic, but there could be a little validity to these scenarios....................
But can you imagine how this ideology will play out itself? When you attached a price on human social behaviors that's supposed to be positive and monumental for advocating humanity. Keep in mind that this is attaching an artificial concept of economy as motivator, on what we humans naturally behave as social animals.

That's right, it's gonna further jeopardize our already buggy moral codes. When we aren't even in control of our own decisions at all time.
299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Samsara
Offline
Posted 7/11/10
No surprise there. Since civilization festered like a sore on the planet many millenia ago, appearances began to take an essential role in society.

Just look at the way people choose their places of learning, thousands of applicants all vying to go to an Ivy League school, all which have no real substance or value other than the name and reputation of the schools.
Posted 7/11/10

Hawker wrote:

No surprise there. Since civilization festered like a sore on the planet many millenia ago, appearances began to take an essential role in society.

Just look at the way people choose their places of learning, thousands of applicants all vying to go to an Ivy League school, all which have no real substance or value other than the name and reputation of the schools.
This reminds me about those expensive private boarding schools here in my hometown, where international students had their families paid ridiculously high tuition fees, just so that they can "experience" the Canadian multicultural diversity, in an "isolated" environment known as private institutions.

Can you spot the self-contradiction?
15956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Wilmington NC
Offline
Posted 7/11/10
I don't base my desire for women on looks, but would be lying if I said looks didnt matter.
Posted 7/11/10

Pacarus wrote:

I don't base my desire for women on looks, but would be lying if I said looks didnt matter.
My topic is far beyond the superficial concepts of physical looks and sexual attractiveness.

Try again and this time, keep in mind on what makes you see humanity as worthy of value.
15956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Wilmington NC
Offline
Posted 7/11/10
Sorry I was on a different website at the same time. Well lets see I do have faith in man kind only because I will help clean up society after college.
299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Samsara
Offline
Posted 7/11/10

DomFortress wrote:


Hawker wrote:

No surprise there. Since civilization festered like a sore on the planet many millenia ago, appearances began to take an essential role in society.

Just look at the way people choose their places of learning, thousands of applicants all vying to go to an Ivy League school, all which have no real substance or value other than the name and reputation of the schools.
This reminds me about those expensive private boarding schools here in my hometown, where international students had their families paid ridiculously high tuition fees, just so that they can "experience" the Canadian multicultural diversity, in an "isolated" environment known as private institutions.

Can you spot the self-contradiction?


Like kids who go to the beach but are too afraid to jump in the water. A tourist mentality is never good if you want to actually experience a new culture.
299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Samsara
Offline
Posted 7/11/10

Pacarus wrote:

Sorry I was on a different website at the same time. Well lets see I do have faith in man kind only because I will help clean up society after college.


A pointless battle. You're better off doing something else with your time.
Posted 7/11/10

Hawker wrote:


Pacarus wrote:

Sorry I was on a different website at the same time. Well lets see I do have faith in man kind only because I will help clean up society after college.


A pointless battle. You're better off doing something else with your time.
That still depends on whatever that he wants to learn in college.
Posted 7/11/10
Friends come and go. We learn from all our experiences and take what we can from relationships. Nothing lasts forever, even the deepest love or hatred.
Posted 7/11/10

Aztecnology wrote:

Friends come and go. We learn from all our experiences and take what we can from relationships. Nothing lasts forever, even the deepest love or hatred.
Only now it runs on a meter tab into one's own bank account.
Posted 7/11/10

DomFortress wrote:


Aztecnology wrote:

Friends come and go. We learn from all our experiences and take what we can from relationships. Nothing lasts forever, even the deepest love or hatred.
Only now it runs on a meter tab into one's own bank account.


Insofar we can observe the quality of some relationships through our own resources. Money makes the world go round. For some immature people, it is virtually everything. When a man grows to meet the expectations of those close to him, he can better see how his interactions add up to something worth a hell of a lot more than any monetary gain. A woman can see that by overcoming the stereotype of being needy or weak-willed, she can have quite the impressive reputation comparable to anyone's.
Posted 7/11/10
I had a friend once who always said that there is no such thing as love , only fleeting moments of passion . Man, I miss her.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.