Extraterrestrial Life
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 7/15/10
What do you guys think about extraterrestrial life life ? Extraterrestrial life is life that doesn't originate from Earth. Life that arose completely independent from life on earth. Do you believe in it or think its possible ?
Posted 7/15/10
Who knows. For all we know many species including our own could have been born and cultivated from life not of this planet.
1187 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Look.... im right...
Offline
Posted 7/16/10 , edited 7/16/10
There are about 100 million stars in our galaxy alone and about 100 billion galaxies in the universe. The chance that we are the only planet harboring life in the universe is very small. Organic molecules are abundant in our own galaxy, i do not see how they are not in others.
And the more scientists/biologists explore and discover how life has evolved from singled celled organisms to humans, the more it is easier to believe that its possible for it to occur in other planets like our own. Plus, Its just last year that abiogenesis was confirmed to have occurred in the early earth. RNA and DNA the very foundation of life were created by scientists in a laboratory taking into account the precursors present in early earth and the type of environment these chemicals were under. Its amazing isnt it? Life coming from non life (organic molecules).

With that said, If there are intelligent lifeforms out there, IMO it is more likely that we are the most technologically advanced among them.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 7/16/10
As someone else mentioned earlier, our universe is too large for the Earth to be the only planet that can sustain life. We've witnessed bacteria and archaea living in some really extreme conditions on Earth, like extreme temperatures and environments with chemicals that would kill most other living things, so there's no reason why there can't be similar micro organisms out in space that have adapted to extreme environments. If I'm not mistaken, or if the news stories weren't a hoax, we've already encountered extraterrestrial micro organisms.


vinsane01 wrote:
With that said, If there are intelligent lifeforms out there, IMO it is more likely that we are the most technologically advanced among them.


Why is that?
1187 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Look.... im right...
Offline
Posted 7/16/10

Cuddlebuns wrote:

As someone else mentioned earlier, our universe is too large for the Earth to be the only planet that can sustain life. We've witnessed bacteria and archaea living in some really extreme conditions on Earth, like extreme temperatures and environments with chemicals that would kill most other living things, so there's no reason why there can't be similar micro organisms out in space that have adapted to extreme environments. If I'm not mistaken, or if the news stories weren't a hoax, we've already encountered extraterrestrial micro organisms.


vinsane01 wrote:
With that said, If there are intelligent lifeforms out there, IMO it is more likely that we are the most technologically advanced among them.


Why is that?


I have no basis on that really, just a hunch...plus some bias since im human.
15956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Wilmington NC
Offline
Posted 7/16/10
We are here so why wouldn't there be aliens?
Posted 7/16/10
We are the aliens, and the extraterrestrial life isn't.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 7/16/10

vinsane01 wrote:


Cuddlebuns wrote:

As someone else mentioned earlier, our universe is too large for the Earth to be the only planet that can sustain life. We've witnessed bacteria and archaea living in some really extreme conditions on Earth, like extreme temperatures and environments with chemicals that would kill most other living things, so there's no reason why there can't be similar micro organisms out in space that have adapted to extreme environments. If I'm not mistaken, or if the news stories weren't a hoax, we've already encountered extraterrestrial micro organisms.


vinsane01 wrote:
With that said, If there are intelligent lifeforms out there, IMO it is more likely that we are the most technologically advanced among them.


Why is that?


I have no basis on that really, just a hunch...plus some bias since im human.


Its a very illogical outlook and close minded.
Its not a being a human outlook. Its just a programmed outlook do to how you happen to have been trained as a child.

Yes A lot of your outlook is do to your families Programming. From what your religion is, to your stance on gay marriage is all do to the type of programing your given as a kid.

In other words Humans without much effert on their part, do not think for them selves. They think Like they been program to think by others.
So to me your nothing but a computer fallowing its program, wen other ideals that might be better is introduced to it, their rejected do to it not being part of your programming you was given as a kid. Hence why I don't think some people should have the right to raze kids.

An why religious can not think out of their programed ideals. It all links up to how your programed as a kid.

I broke my programming by stepping out of the box.. And learning the facts, then basing my new reality around observable facts and evidence witch can be scientifically proven. Using this I am even able to resin out other facts, by using what I already know.

The odd their is no life out in space is far less than the odds that we will evolve wings in the next ten years.
Given the time and how the process of evolution works, the chance of other life forms even more advance than us is more likely than their not being.
Its all about the odds based on what we know about systems, and facts.

Sorry I am doing a bit of rambling.
Posted 7/16/10
All I'll say is take a look at world history....... assumptions.....explorations.....mistakes... arrogance......yes the world is flat. If we made repeated mistakes over & over again with our own kind regarding "Other Lifeforms" its 99.9% proof positive that many people are still making that dumbfounded mistake as of today.
1308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Watching everything
Offline
Posted 7/16/10
God could simply be a race of aliens. Any sufficiently advanced life form will be looked upon as a god. Hell the universe could be the plaything of a massively advanced race of aliens.
Posted 7/16/10 , edited 7/16/10
I don't want to believe we're the only beings in this universe. There has to be some type of intelligent life. I wonder if they look like us?
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 7/16/10

LosingOrbit wrote:

I don't want to believe we're the only beings in this universe. There has to be some type of intelligent life. I wonder if they look like us?


that would be as likely as them being Cat-Girls
Them looking like us that is.


Don't fret about being the only things in the universe..

We find life in space, from viruses locked away in Ice rocks, to pollen floating around in space. Scientist 99.9% agree that Anyplace that has a form of solid matter, and an energy source has a chance of having life found there as well.

So life is not something we will have trouble finding in space.
We will have more trouble finding life forms that do not run from are barbaric race at first sight.
Yes Humans are a Dangers race of savage Monkeys. (most aliens would look at us as the BORG.)

1187 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Look.... im right...
Offline
Posted 7/16/10 , edited 7/17/10

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


vinsane01 wrote:


Cuddlebuns wrote:

As someone else mentioned earlier, our universe is too large for the Earth to be the only planet that can sustain life. We've witnessed bacteria and archaea living in some really extreme conditions on Earth, like extreme temperatures and environments with chemicals that would kill most other living things, so there's no reason why there can't be similar micro organisms out in space that have adapted to extreme environments. If I'm not mistaken, or if the news stories weren't a hoax, we've already encountered extraterrestrial micro organisms.


vinsane01 wrote:
With that said, If there are intelligent lifeforms out there, IMO it is more likely that we are the most technologically advanced among them.


Why is that?


I have no basis on that really, just a hunch...plus some bias since im human.


Its a very illogical outlook and close minded.
Its not a being a human outlook. Its just a programmed outlook do to how you happen to have been trained as a child.

Yes A lot of your outlook is do to your families Programming. From what your religion is, to your stance on gay marriage is all do to the type of programing your given as a kid.

In other words Humans without much effert on their part, do not think for them selves. They think Like they been program to think by others.
So to me your nothing but a computer fallowing its program, wen other ideals that might be better is introduced to it, their rejected do to it not being part of your programming you was given as a kid. Hence why I don't think some people should have the right to raze kids.

An why religious can not think out of their programed ideals. It all links up to how your programed as a kid.

I broke my programming by stepping out of the box.. And learning the facts, then basing my new reality around observable facts and evidence witch can be scientifically proven. Using this I am even able to resin out other facts, by using what I already know.

The odd their is no life out in space is far less than the odds that we will evolve wings in the next ten years.
Given the time and how the process of evolution works, the chance of other life forms even more advance than us is more likely than their not being.
Its all about the odds based on what we know about systems, and facts.

Sorry I am doing a bit of rambling.


What's illogical about what i said? To this day we have NO EVIDENCE OR FACTS to support a claim that some lifeform is MORE TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCE than ours. From my point of view i believe that humanlike creatures exist in other galaxies or in our own galaxy but their evolutionary phase in accordance to our own is POSSIBLY still in the medieval era at best. As i said it was just a hunch. How is that programming? Nobody told me that, i havent seen that kind of view presented in movies and television or in conversations from people around me. Actually its other way around. Maybe youre the one that is programmed. lol. A lot of people are programmed to think that some creatures may have visited us and may visit inevitably in the future. Have you ever come to think that we are the ones doing the visiting of primitive civilizations in say, 300-400 years from now?

You cannot back up your claim that aliens are far more superior to us in technology. Im sorry dude its not more intellectually sound to think that way. And what has religion got to do with this? I live in the philippines which i think is 99% religious. Our neighbourhood is dominated by christians. My parents/siblings and all my family members are christians. Im an agnostic atheist. I see your point, but my view on the natural or supernatural has nothing to do with my upbringing.

Anyways, Its pointless to debate such a topic in which we have little information to begin with.



278 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 7/17/10
I believe somewhere in this universe there is a planet where reptiles instead of chimpanzees evolved into teenage mutant ninja turtles and reign supreme over all the other races while fighting crime and kicking bad guys butts!!!!!!!
maffoo 
78814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / England
Offline
Posted 7/17/10

vinsane01 wrote:

What's illogical about what i said? To this day we have NO EVIDENCE OR FACTS to support a claim that some lifeform is MORE TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCE than ours. From my point of view i believe that humanlike creatures exist in other galaxies or in our own galaxy but their evolutionary phase in accordance to our own is POSSIBLY still in the medieval era at best. As i said it was just a hunch. How is that programming? Nobody told me that, i havent seen that kind of view presented in movies and television or in conversations from people around me. Actually its other way around. Maybe youre the one that is programmed. lol. A lot of people are programmed to think that some creatures may have visited us and may visit inevitably in the future. Have you ever come to think that we are the ones doing the visiting of primitive civilizations in say, 300-400 years from now?

You cannot back up your claim that aliens are far more superior to us in technology. Im sorry dude its not more intellectually sound to think that way. And what has religion got to do with this? I live in the philippines which i think is 99% religious. Our neighbourhood is dominated by christians. My parents/siblings and all my family members are christians. Im an agnostic atheist. I see your point, but my view on the natural or supernatural has nothing to do with my upbringing.

Anyways, Its pointless to debate such a topic in which we have little information to begin with.





We have no evidence to support a claim that some extraterrestrial lifeforms are more technologically advanced than us, but equally we have nothing to suggest that they would all be less advanced. Human civilisation has been around for what, 20,000 years? A tiny amount of time compared to the age of the universe. All it would take is for a civilisation to have a few millennia head start on us, and/or to develop more rapidly due to their world's circumstances and they could easily be more advanced. We cannot possibly know either way unless conclusive evidence of a more advanced civilisation comes to light (some believe the evidence is already there, but that's another story )

As for the religion thing, some people just like to bring religion into everything :)

Going back to the main topic, I think it is likely that there is other life in the universe. I read a book some years back (I think it was called Life in the Universe, but I haven't been able to track it down to confirm it) that suggested that wherever the environmental conditions are right and there is a sufficient variety of chemicals, life will come into existence. Whether this life would evolve into a sentient species would I expect depend on pure chance, and whether or not that level of intelligence is a survival advantage. Though given that intelligence has evolved in various different terrestrial species, I think it is reasonable to expect species of at least human-level intelligence to emerge.

You must be logged in to post.