First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Otaku Aren't Japanese
Posted 7/16/10
People allover the world have been observed with this idea in their heads about being cultured because they took up an interest in anime or manga. They tote around all this needless merchandise and speak hollow mispronounced words in Japanese such as the overused 'baka'. Even the Japanese aren't Japanese, since after the Pacific War, they lost their identity to occupation from the United States. How is it that anyone thinks they are a part of some postmodern culture because they have a seemingly childish interest (not that I feel it is) in cartooning not created by them. Mindless consumption and obsessions never cultured anyone. You might learn things, but as for becoming Japanese because you watched anime or read manga, I don't fucking think so!
1308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Watching everything
Offline
Posted 7/16/10

Aztecnology wrote:

People allover the world have been observed with this idea in their heads about being cultured because they took up an interest in anime or manga. They tote around all this needless merchandise and speak hollow mispronounced words in Japanese such as the overused 'baka'. Even the Japanese aren't Japanese, since after the Pacific War, they lost their identity to occupation from the United States. How is it that anyone thinks they are a part of some postmodern culture because they have a seemingly childish interest (not that I feel it is) in cartooning not created by them. Mindless consumption and obsessions never cultured anyone. You might learn things, but as for becoming Japanese because you watched anime or read manga, I don't fucking think so!


You're Japanese because you were born in Japan, from people who were Japanese. Not because you immerse yourself in the culture. If you were born American, you stay American. British, stay British. You can't change what nationality you are.
Posted 7/16/10

zombehs wrote:


Aztecnology wrote:

People allover the world have been observed with this idea in their heads about being cultured because they took up an interest in anime or manga. They tote around all this needless merchandise and speak hollow mispronounced words in Japanese such as the overused 'baka'. Even the Japanese aren't Japanese, since after the Pacific War, they lost their identity to occupation from the United States. How is it that anyone thinks they are a part of some postmodern culture because they have a seemingly childish interest (not that I feel it is) in cartooning not created by them. Mindless consumption and obsessions never cultured anyone. You might learn things, but as for becoming Japanese because you watched anime or read manga, I don't fucking think so!


You're Japanese because you were born in Japan, from people who were Japanese. Not because you immerse yourself in the culture. If you were born American, you stay American. British, stay British. You can't change what nationality you are.


An outside influence changes a lot of things. When the U.S. occupied Japan, they gradually became western in most ways. Even those who were so adamant about their old traditions were found to live in western style houses and wear western style clothing. When Europeans occupied the North American continent, the Native Americans were influenced by their culture and became far less Native American than they were before.

My point is that we all have this specific identity. The western world has changed just about everything we see from how it used to be. A small time interest, such as a hobby, does nothing to change people from who they really are. I like anime and manga, but does that mean I have the same feelings for all people in Japan? No, since I might come to find a few jerks over there that would be more than happy to kick my sorry American ass out of their country.
Posted 7/16/10
I can care less, as long as i am happy.
Posted 7/16/10

CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:

I can care less, as long as i am happy.


That is the proper attitude. Fuck all the superficial shit and enjoy your life your own way.
Posted 7/16/10
It doesn't matter. I'm the only one who truly exists any way . You people are just my subconscious filling a need for stimulation.
Posted 7/16/10

Gev wrote:

It doesn't matter. I'm the only one who truly exists any way . You people are just my subconscious filling a need for stimulation.


For each man is the center of his own existence and story to tell. We are the authors and main characters, and everyone else plays a supporting role to that.
1308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Watching everything
Offline
Posted 7/16/10

Aztecnology wrote:


Gev wrote:

It doesn't matter. I'm the only one who truly exists any way . You people are just my subconscious filling a need for stimulation.


For each man is the center of his own existence and story to tell. We are the authors and main characters, and everyone else plays a supporting role to that.


Until you fall in love with one of those supporting roles or one says fuck you and kills you.
Posted 7/16/10

zombehs wrote:


Aztecnology wrote:


Gev wrote:

It doesn't matter. I'm the only one who truly exists any way . You people are just my subconscious filling a need for stimulation.


For each man is the center of his own existence and story to tell. We are the authors and main characters, and everyone else plays a supporting role to that.


Until you fall in love with one of those supporting roles or one says fuck you and kills you.


Then I die a beautiful and romantic death in the gutter.

The end.

Now, let's quit posting off topic.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 7/16/10

Aztecnology wrote:

People allover the world have been observed with this idea in their heads about being cultured because they took up an interest in anime or manga. They tote around all this needless merchandise and speak hollow mispronounced words in Japanese such as the overused 'baka'. Even the Japanese aren't Japanese, since after the Pacific War, they lost their identity to occupation from the United States. How is it that anyone thinks they are a part of some postmodern culture because they have a seemingly childish interest (not that I feel it is) in cartooning not created by them. Mindless consumption and obsessions never cultured anyone. You might learn things, but as for becoming Japanese because you watched anime or read manga, I don't fucking think so!


It sounds more like you're describing weeaboos than otakus. But I guess they are basically the same thing, just in different parts of the world.




zombehs wrote:
You can't change what nationality you are.


Actually you can, by changing your citizenship.
1308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Watching everything
Offline
Posted 7/16/10

Cuddlebuns wrote:


Aztecnology wrote:

People allover the world have been observed with this idea in their heads about being cultured because they took up an interest in anime or manga. They tote around all this needless merchandise and speak hollow mispronounced words in Japanese such as the overused 'baka'. Even the Japanese aren't Japanese, since after the Pacific War, they lost their identity to occupation from the United States. How is it that anyone thinks they are a part of some postmodern culture because they have a seemingly childish interest (not that I feel it is) in cartooning not created by them. Mindless consumption and obsessions never cultured anyone. You might learn things, but as for becoming Japanese because you watched anime or read manga, I don't fucking think so!


It sounds more like you're describing weeaboos than otakus. But I guess they are basically the same thing, just in different parts of the world.




zombehs wrote:
You can't change what nationality you are.


Actually you can, by changing your citizenship.


I meant as in your heritage or whatever. You might be an American citizen but you're still Chinese, Indian, whatever.
76530 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 7/16/10 , edited 7/16/10

zombehs wrote:




I meant as in your heritage or whatever. You might be an American citizen but you're still Chinese, Indian, whatever.


Maybe in the 'great melting pot' of the US it's true. But I personally believe in the 'Civic Nationalism' expressed by the Union during your civil war. and, I'm fairly confident, so do a majority of my countrymen.

Civic Nationalism - Basically says:

"You swore our oath. You have our passport. Regardless of where you were born, and even if you don't live and pay taxes here you are US" (but we'd rather you do the other two in order to be REALLY a part of us)

This is as opposed to 'Ethnic Nationalism'

Ethnic Nationalism equates Nation with Ethnicity. The American south in the Antebellum period purported the existence of a 'southern man' who was innately superior to those busybodies from the north and couched secession in terms of protecting the southern way of life. During our last referendum in Quebec, A separatist leader tried to tell us that Canada could have Quebec broken away from it, but that Quebec was indivisible because Quebec was 'A People' and Canada was not. Some immigrants when asking about my 'background' make me very angry when they say "oh you're a REAL Canadian" just because my roots here are deeper than theirs.

I think Ethnicity, like race, are flawed concepts with too much baggage from discriminatory practices to be worth whatever mental convenience they offer in neatly grouping others together in your mind.

Thus I cannot agree with the statement above. (emphasis mine) nor with the OP's comment that:

Even the Japanese aren't Japanese anymore


If you carry a Canadian Passport then you are a REAL Canadian to me.

That said, Yes, I think it's silly to believe that just because you're a fan of Japanese imported cartoons that you are somehow spiritually Japanese. Hogwash! you just like the cool stories and pretty pictures. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't over do it.






Posted 7/16/10
I am myself, therefore whatever the subcultural identities I decided to adapt and adopt will only be a part of my overall social status set. Whereby my nationality, ethnicity, and racial profiling have nothing to do with who I am as a person. When my standard and values are reflected throughout my lifestyle choices and my expressions, while everyone else can think whatever of me for themselves, 'less they don't take me for who I am.

In other words, I'm not here to play a role that society decides to cast me as, no. When I'm determined to make society to be aware, acknowledge, understand, and recognize what makes me who I am.

The simple fact is while not all Japaneses are otakus, not all otakus know for themselves the history of how and why the honorific term came to be as it is today. Because way before the term "otakus" got overplayed and undermined by the Japanese mass medias in the 80's, it was only a minority within the mainstream Japanese culture, originated from the HAM radio community at Akibahara during the late 70's.

That's right, the Japanese anime fanatics never invented that specialized honorific for themselves. They adopted the term "otakus" from the Japanese HAM radio community, when both groups were socializing near Akibahara due to their shared interest in electronic recording devices. The HAM radio community originally invented the honorific as a reference to how their hobby is based on home-made electronics, because "ota" is Japanese for "household". This is my English overview on the Japanese Wiki entry of the origin of otaku:

秋葉原(電気街)とオタクの関係については、1960〜70年代の中学〜高校世代のアマチュア無線家やオーディオファン、1970年代になって現れる初期のパソコン嗜好者たちが秋葉原の専門店で、大学のサークルや研究室で、顔見知り程度の愛好家仲間の間で、「お宅はどのようなアンテナをお使いですか?」や「お宅のスピーカーは自作品ですか?」といった会話を日常的に交わしており、1970年代の若年アマチュア無線家の多くが、当時、既に「おたく…」と呼び合っていた。これは山の手の住人にとっては普通・日常の会話であったであろうが、秋葉原発のオーディオ文化、パソコン文化が地方周縁部に波及するにおいては「おたく」は特別な響きをもって受け止められた(「おいおまえ」呼ばわりしていた友人がある日突然「ところでおたく」などと言い出しては衝撃を与えるなどして)。

当時は若年層でアマチュア無線等の趣味を持つ人は少数派であり、どうしても仲間同士で集まって専門的な話をする機会が増えるため、周囲からは特異に見られることが多かった。また、家族や知人にしてみれば、一人で勝手に機械を買ってきては、なにやら一人で楽しんでおり、関係性の希薄そうな人の輪、仲間どうしで情報交換している内(うち)向きな様子は、確かに「オタク」とされるステレオタイプな原型があったわけである。

彼らの多くが現在のオタクになったという確証はなにもないわけであるが、電子機器を核とする興味の対象を、次第にパソコン、ゲーム、アニメ、フィギュア等にシフトさせていったグループも多かったことだろう。彼らの象徴的な活動拠点である秋葉原や日本橋(大阪市)は1970年代以降、かれら興味の対象に重なるように家電の街から趣味の街へと次第に変化した。(citation)
76530 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 7/16/10
Well, I'm pretty patriotic so Canadian, IS a package I adopt. Willfully and passionately. ;)

As for the latter, you actually SEE that in 801 TTS airbats when the mechanic is a figurine purchasing model making Otaku but takes advantage of the Ham Radio/fighter jet Otakus just out side the base to relay critical information to the other (pilot) characters.

God I loved that show.
20053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 7/16/10 , edited 7/16/10

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

Well, I'm pretty patriotic so Canadian, IS a package I adopt. Willfully and passionately. ;)

As for the latter, you actually SEE that in 801 TTS airbats when the mechanic is a figurine purchasing model making Otaku but takes advantage of the Ham Radio/fighter jet Otakus just out side the base to relay critical information to the other (pilot) characters.

God I loved that show.


Frown a group of Females who hate each other, all with a crush on the same Otaku nerd who has to aid them in coordinate their flying. So they can do tricks together in the sky.

Yep I seen that short animeeshun 30 times.

On topic..

'I am going to take a line from Popeye now."

I am who I am..



'Most people are program to fallow a system, a system that your father and mother had been program to fallow wen there kids and so on."
This programing is normal and how most people are, as for me I don't fallow this system, I learn a long time ago to look outside of the box, and remove the programs that rule over me. I now seek Out my own reality through research and knowledge that I seek out. I base my reality on the provable facts found around me, and I keep an open mind, but in the same time I do not accept anything without a solid basing for the said object or Ideal in reality. What reasoning do I have for said object.. Does this reasoning have sound footing in what is known as fact, backed by research and evidence?

Hence I created my own system to replace my old programing that I was introduced to as a small child.. As all children are.
I will pass this system I like to call logical program system A01. To my children as all parents do to their children.
In order to further my legacy based on logic and healthy positive reinforcement.


On another note Ooh God I have the same Hair style as papagolfwhiskey avatar.. (this is not good)
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.