First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Why are cars getting so fast?
4216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/19/10 , edited 7/19/10
just curious?
703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / New York
Offline
Posted 7/19/10
with only 24 hours a day, ppl cant afford to waste time
4216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/19/10
but the fastest you can go inthe US is 65mph and that's only interstates and highways
Posted 7/19/10
I think it´s about proving each brands superiority, like the ultimate car, the ultimate engineering, the ultimate brand.
In cases like Ferrari, it´s about the brands spirit itself, in this case, racing spirit.
But probably the most simple explanation is the correct one, ppl with money will buy super cars, and a super car needs to be fast, all though there´s more to it when it comes to car passion
Sorry for my poor English, i hope i´ve helped.
Peace.
Posted 7/19/10
To thrill that adrenaline rush that flows within you lol? Plus you should be a bit more specific on what kind of answer you want. :3 I think because of money. It's obviously a setup on why the create cars for citizens that only should go a required speed limit, yet the cars are made to go over 70mph.
3498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Nowheresville, MI
Offline
Posted 7/20/10
In the states anyways, horsepower is king. It's what sells. Now that manufactures have figured out how to make huge power and maintain drivability as well as acheiving decent fuel economy, cars will probably continue to get faster yet. On a personal level, having a fast car can be addictive. As an owner of a fairly fast car, I love driving it every chance I get, even if it's just down the road and back. The way it pushes me back in the seat when it gets into the meat of the powerband always puts a big smile on my face.
22967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / SF Bay Area, CA (...
Offline
Posted 7/20/10
It's quite obvious, really. With technology in general advancing, the internal-combustion engine is evolving more and more. Technologies such as direct-injection, and increased use of turbochargers (like in the 80s) to get large-engine power with small-engine MPG have seen huge improvements.

Hyundai was confident enough to NOT offer a V6 in the new Sonata since the new turbo-4 generate V6-like power but retains 4 cylinder fuel efficiency.
Ford even jumped into the turbo bandwagon. The new Ford Taurus SHO, which is equipped with a twin-turbo direct-injection V6, gets a HUGE V8-like 365HP but still delivers V6 fuel effiiciency.


So in a sense, cars are getting faster due to the need for improved fuel efficiency, which as you can see, has resulted in higher-powered engines.
22967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / SF Bay Area, CA (...
Offline
Posted 7/20/10

cha1nsawyofac3 wrote:

but the fastest you can go inthe US is 65mph and that's only interstates and highways


In Texas and desert areas, the speed limit can be as high as 75MPH or even as far up to 85 MPH.

But the governments need revenue, and basically, the government WANTS YOU to speed so you can give them more money. And besides, the world would be boring if cars couldn't go past the speed limit, in addition to the need to speed in very unlikely emergency situations.
4216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/21/10

AWDfreak wrote:


cha1nsawyofac3 wrote:

but the fastest you can go inthe US is 65mph and that's only interstates and highways


In Texas and desert areas, the speed limit can be as high as 75MPH or even as far up to 85 MPH.

But the governments need revenue, and basically, the government WANTS YOU to speed so you can give them more money. And besides, the world would be boring if cars couldn't go past the speed limit, in addition to the need to speed in very unlikely emergency situations.


but a civic doing 216, camaro 246, S13 235mph, and an evo doing 243mph, and sti 210mph, I mean I'm all for fast cars but thats kinda extreme
22967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / SF Bay Area, CA (...
Offline
Posted 7/21/10

cha1nsawyofac3 wrote:


AWDfreak wrote:


cha1nsawyofac3 wrote:

but the fastest you can go inthe US is 65mph and that's only interstates and highways


In Texas and desert areas, the speed limit can be as high as 75MPH or even as far up to 85 MPH.

But the governments need revenue, and basically, the government WANTS YOU to speed so you can give them more money. And besides, the world would be boring if cars couldn't go past the speed limit, in addition to the need to speed in very unlikely emergency situations.


but a civic doing 216, camaro 246, S13 235mph, and an evo doing 243mph, and sti 210mph, I mean I'm all for fast cars but thats kinda extreme


That's irrelevant. It's just some speed freaks who want to get more out of their cars. I don't know if they do it legally, but there are places to speed legally like speedways, road courses, etc.
739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Thessolaniki, Greece
Offline
Posted 7/28/10 , edited 7/28/10
Obesity in America is the answer! Companies have decided to increase the torque so the car can go without wheelspin. Jk :D

Its because they keep turning sub compacts family cars into full sized sedans after becoming so popular and now need more power to make it go and handle a full family, while still capable of doing daily tasks. ex. Honda Civics, Toyota Corollas, Subaru Imprezas, Mitsubishi Evos. OMG all these cars have become so tall, wide and ugly in recent years! (I understand the extended wheel base is necessary for performance on the Subie/Evo.)

Americans have an issue with oversizing everything. Europe if they need space they get a Wagon, in North America people often buy an SUV or Mini van instead though crossovers like what Land Rover has done is becoming popular. Still too much crap on the road and we as a nation (continent lol) need to start thinking of necessity over style or compensation.
138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Sun City CA
Offline
Posted 9/28/10
i dont think they are so much as getting fast, as they are just getting heavier, so thye need more engine to move around the extra weight. i had a lil acceleration test a while back with a friend of mine. he was in a brand new toyota yaris 5 door, while i was in an old ford escort wagon from 1995. both autos, both 4 bangers, mine had, when brand new 88hp. strangely enough, since mine was lighter, it actually did accelerate faster then his car, despite his power advantage. Still, both of them were extremely slow, and his car was far more comfortable and better built.
249 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Crunchyroll
Offline
Posted 4/10/11
You guys need to see this.
www.bloodhoundssc.com
76 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / GDL,Mexico
Offline
Posted 8/2/11
no special occasion
76 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / GDL,Mexico
Offline
Posted 8/2/11
no special occasion
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.