First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
The End justifies the Means
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/10/06
Why do you guys (the majority of you) ALWAYS get off topic? stick to basic argument please. This thread has a lot of potential so please try to stick to the core of the issue
204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Usa
Offline
Posted 11/10/06
this thread is total bullshit the end never justifies the mean
2743 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/10/06
we are still on topic if you would read. Just because you read a few post. You say we are offtopic. People are explaining the reasoning behind what they are saying. True
sifer2400 was no where near being ontopic. Still this is a major debate topic. So there is going to be alot of explaining what you say.

Also that doctor thing doesnt make the end justify the means. If he came to the emergence room with a head wound and needed a operation to fix it, but the seccus rate of the option was like 10 percent or less. Ok then you could debate the end justifys the means. There also are some many ohter ways he could get health orgins. To just say it will save people is not justifable. Ok if the numbers were greater then you could say that. As in 1 person to save like 50 or hell even 10 then its alittle diffrent.


SandDragon wrote:

this thread is total bullshit the end never justifies the mean


So you are saying that liveing is pointless. It doesnt have to be complax for the end to justify the mean. It could be something as your child is hungry. So you get a job and work, then buy food, cook the food, feed the child. That end doesnt justify the mean?
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/10/06
You are not supposed to alter the situation, otherwise obviously we can take a different approach.

And the doctor example does imply the end justify the means, I got it from my philosophy book. The end: more people would survive. The means: sacrificing a healthy individual.
2691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / "Podunk USA" Brun...
Offline
Posted 11/10/06

SandDragon wrote:

this thread is total bullshit the end never justifies the mean


And unicorns are invisible horses in your backyard.
What drugs alter your reality into such a happy-go-lucky Neverland? I would like to try some. Or are you another wealthy suburbanite who has never tasted the bitter options poverty deals you?

The bitter taste never goes away, it just gets weaker everytime you swallow the bullshit.


mauz15 wrote:

You are not supposed to alter the situation, otherwise obviously we can take a different approach.

And the doctor example does imply the end justify the means, I got it from my philosophy book. The end: more people would survive. The means: sacrificing a healthy individual.


I altered the situation?
204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Usa
Offline
Posted 11/10/06
When someone says the end justifies the mean it usally means Theey have to do something Horrible or Bad or whatever synonyms of that are. So you Dont Kill 5 people Because you think you can save a tree or something
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/10/06

lusulpher wrote:


mauz15 wrote:

You are not supposed to alter the situation, otherwise obviously we can take a different approach.

And the doctor example does imply the end justify the means, I got it from my philosophy book. The end: more people would survive. The means: sacrificing a healthy individual.


I altered the situation?


Not you, thepen did


thepen1832 wrote:

Ok if the numbers were greater then you could say that. As in 1 person to save like 50 or hell even 10 then its alittle diffrent.


On what basis do you justify that 10 is different from 5? if that is what you think then how about if instead of 10 from 5, it is a 1000 from 500? or 100 million from 50 million?
would you sacrifice that many people? what if you are included in the sacrifice?
or What if the 1 person to save 50 is you daughter or your mother?

I'm not arguing against you. I'm just posting questions to get deeper into the issue
8312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 11/10/06

lusulpher wrote:


sifer2400 wrote:

i SAID snore FEST zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz****


F*** YOU. In fact, a New York birdie, for being from my adopted homeland city and being so ignorant!

Vietnam and Cuba beat us, too. Soon Iraq will become a giant quagmire like Afghanistan. America isn't good at fighting terrorist cells. But the funny thing is Capitalism ruins their cultures worse than any bombs.


vietnam didnt beat us, we beat ourselves, the same thing is happening in iraq, and im guessing it will happen in korea again as well

we easily won cuba. the missle crisis was avertted, and we got our troops and influence out of the ex-ottoman empire. if we hadnt left there, the tension would have risen quickly to the point of war
that saved countless lives, and that means the government did their job correctly for once
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/10/06
thepen, see what I mean about getting off topic? ^
8312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 11/10/06
this is close enough to on topic
2691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / "Podunk USA" Brun...
Offline
Posted 11/10/06

SandDragon wrote:

When someone says the end justifies the mean it usally means Theey have to do something Horrible or Bad or whatever synonyms of that are. So you Dont Kill 5 people Because you think you can save a tree or something


Huh?
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/10/06
Punkfilter:
sure, but I would like you to get closer to the main argument.
8312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 11/10/06
sanddragon is trying to say that its ok as long as it is worth the loss
2691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / "Podunk USA" Brun...
Offline
Posted 11/10/06

mauz15 wrote:


thepen1832 wrote:

Ok if the numbers were greater then you could say that. As in 1 person to save like 50 or hell even 10 then its alittle diffrent.


On what basis do you justify that 10 is different from 5? if that is what you think then how about if instead of 10 from 5, it is a 1000 from 500? or 100 million from 50 million?
would you sacrifice that many people? what if you are included in the sacrifice?
or What if the 1 person to save 50 is you daughter or your mother?

I'm not arguing against you. I'm just posting questions to get deeper into the issue


Has anyone read the story of Sodom and Gomorah? Would anyone save thousands of evil people just for the sake of 1. God would, after much hesitation, but Humanity isn't even worth that much to normal people, so they would choose the end justifying the means.
2743 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/10/06
well as far as off topic goes. The mods know who they are. It is always the same group of people doing it everywhere. Couple reasons they do it. They spam for cr points, they think they are funny, the mods are trying to be nice with warnings and talking to people. Anways thats what the report to mod is for.

Well i mean just that little info. There really isnt enough info for me to make my mind up. I mean dont know who the guy is, what is going on in the world, who the othere people are, what type of people they are, but if you are saying that info is all i can base my decession on. Well i have to say sure the end justfies the means, but i mean i am preaty cold hearted without know the facts surrounding it. I just go with numbers and statics such as 1 plus 1 equal 2. Thats all it has to be if i am forced to make a call off of that and not allowed anyother options or info. There is nothing you can do.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.