First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
SAVE THE MANUALS!!!
24948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Daath
Offline
Posted 12/4/10
SAVE THE MANUALS!! i dont know..... it felt so dumb riding autos. cant tell you exactly why but just a feeling... and im not to drive these.... auto stuff... thing..
Posted 6/26/11
Manuals are more fun to drive because it takes more skill and concentration, a burden for some, a discipline for others. Most British/European cars are manual anyway, they hardly need saving! 80% of them are manuals in showrooms across the country. I live in the UK atm and the only people with automatics are OAP's coz athritis stops them from being able to control the clutch and gear stick. I had no choice because my Driving School car was a manual, but if I had a choice I'd still choose a manual car. It depends how much you enjoy driving, I love driving and my friends reckon I'm the smoothest driver out of us I treat my car like a baby, caressing the clutch and the gear stick relaxed drivers are usually the best in manual cars.
3265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / DFW
Online
Posted 7/3/11 , edited 7/3/11
People seem to miss a few key points here.

If someone has that much to spend on a sports car. swapping out to a manual would be fairly 'cheap' in perspective.

Sorry camaro/mustang is not a sports car. I barely consider the corvette one.

driving a car that is manual in your drivers ed class compared to say driving a Viper ACR (is VERY different. things are squirly)

A manual doesn't take 'skill'. It takes practice, and experience.

It's like learning to ride a bike, then assuming you can ride a jigster.
17902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / SF Bay Area, CA (...
Offline
Posted 7/25/11

Tisdael wrote:

People seem to miss a few key points here.

If someone has that much to spend on a sports car. swapping out to a manual would be fairly 'cheap' in perspective.

Sorry camaro/mustang is not a sports car. I barely consider the corvette one.

driving a car that is manual in your drivers ed class compared to say driving a Viper ACR (is VERY different. things are squirly)

A manual doesn't take 'skill'. It takes practice, and experience.

It's like learning to ride a bike, then assuming you can ride a jigster.



The Camaro and Mustang aren't sports cars indeed. They're supposed to be "pony cars".

Your perspective is quite interesting. Doubt if I learned to ride a motorcycle, I would just jump to a 1000cc superbike (because everyone knows that's just plain unwise).

However, once someone learns to drive manual on a synchronized manual transmission, one can step up to a non-synchro (and learn double-clutching). And then there's the multi-gear gearboxes on large industrial trucks with 8 or more speeds to learn on.

Bah what am I blabbering about... Anyways, carry on...
Banned
31569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 1/15/12 , edited 1/15/12
Paddle shifters for the win. The best of both worlds in terms of speed.
32460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Pluto
Offline
Posted 1/19/12
i would love to buy and drive a pure manual car, but i have 20/200 vision so theres no chance of me gettin' a license D:
261 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Connecticut
Offline
Posted 10/19/12
NOOOO!!!!! I HATE PADDLE SHIFTERS!!!!!!!!!! But what you say is true which is why the R35 GTR and the Evo X MR only have that for transmission option....
703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Los Angeles, Ca
Offline
Posted 10/22/12

wrote:

I don't mind that most people prefer Automatic transmission, but please don't remove that option for the folks that prefer stickshift.

SAVE THE MANUALS.


+1

Manual > Auto
Bought myself a EJ1 when fist turned 18; manual transmission of course. Automatic is just too boring for me, I don't really feel like I'm driving.

@AWDfreak "Your perspective is quite interesting. Doubt if I learned to ride a motorcycle, I would just jump to a 1000cc superbike (because everyone knows that's just plain unwise)." Extremely unwise, and I have no pity for those that choose such a powerful and capable machine as their fist bike.

Paddle shifters....not for me.
17902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / SF Bay Area, CA (...
Offline
Posted 10/24/12

DAN213 wrote:


wrote:

I don't mind that most people prefer Automatic transmission, but please don't remove that option for the folks that prefer stickshift.

SAVE THE MANUALS.


+1

Manual > Auto
Bought myself a EJ1 when fist turned 18; manual transmission of course. Automatic is just too boring for me, I don't really feel like I'm driving.

@AWDfreak "Your perspective is quite interesting. Doubt if I learned to ride a motorcycle, I would just jump to a 1000cc superbike (because everyone knows that's just plain unwise)." Extremely unwise, and I have no pity for those that choose such a powerful and capable machine as their fist bike.

Paddle shifters....not for me.


Yeah, some people are just too power-hungry and jump on a liter superbike... Crazy!


I do enjoy manual-shift modes for automatics, but having no clutch pedal just isn't the same...


and MY GOSH, I never expected this thread to have ever been revived outside of 2010!
48520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 10/27/12
Had a teggy gsr as my first car, was hell lotta fun. Driving in a hilly ass city with manual for a while... not soo much fun... I'll stick to my auto, the stick on the G's are meh anyways. I would say if you live in a hilly ass city or traffic ingested city go auto.
703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Los Angeles, Ca
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

AWDfreak wrote:


DAN213 wrote:


wrote:

I don't mind that most people prefer Automatic transmission, but please don't remove that option for the folks that prefer stickshift.

SAVE THE MANUALS.


+1

Manual > Auto
Bought myself a EJ1 when fist turned 18; manual transmission of course. Automatic is just too boring for me, I don't really feel like I'm driving.

@AWDfreak "Your perspective is quite interesting. Doubt if I learned to ride a motorcycle, I would just jump to a 1000cc superbike (because everyone knows that's just plain unwise)." Extremely unwise, and I have no pity for those that choose such a powerful and capable machine as their fist bike.

Paddle shifters....not for me.


Yeah, some people are just too power-hungry and jump on a liter superbike... Crazy!


I do enjoy manual-shift modes for automatics, but having no clutch pedal just isn't the same...


and MY GOSH, I never expected this thread to have ever been revived outside of 2010!

lmao! I didn't realized how old these posts were until i saw your reply. lol
4852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Bay area California
Offline
Posted 12/9/12

AWDfreak wrote:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q3/save_the_manuals!-car_and_driver



Like me, you may have noticed an alarming paucity of vehicles offering fully manual transmissions. Even sports-car stalwart Ferrari, of gated-shifter fame, isn’t providing a three-pedal option on the new 458 Italia. Equally distressing, I read in the Washington Post that our nation’s hard-texting youth have pronounced driving seriously lame, with only about 30 percent of 16-year-olds having acquired driving licenses as of 2008. I can’t help but think these things are related.

If folks learned to operate the entire car, not just the steering wheel and occasionally the brakes, I’d bet they’d like driving better. If they knew the sense of control imparted by that third pedal, I’d bet they would strive for its mastery. If they knew the excitement that accompanied a perfectly timed heel-toe downshift, I can guarantee they’d be hooked.

You know what we need? We need a crusade. We need to save the manuals! Not only are manual transmissions often more fuel-efficient than their two-pedal counterparts, you also can’t text while operating one. So let’s lobby carmakers to produce more of these things because they’re safer and more frugal, and let’s not tell them that they’re way more fun. Let’s train our offspring in the ancient ways of the stick shift. Let all of us knights of the clutch pedal drive our manual-equipped cars to Washington and pop ’em in front of Barry O’s house.

Won’t you join the cause? —Eddie Alterman of Car and Driver Magazine


LOL.
do you want to know why ferrari stop making manual?
It's because the people who can afford the car are mostly rich CEO who drives the car to collect their thoughts.
and since their rich why would they want a manual car? They grew up rich so they don't have much experience driving manual. so the car 30% of time gets wrecked.
Thats one reason.
the second reason is because in the old days from engine > transmission > wheels takes time
but what makes a supercar? the time from engine > transmission > wheel is less then a second. a human cannot control such power. so without proper skill and years of experience your car is pretty much gone
the newer cars are all semi auto because of that reason. the (gtr, ferrari , alphna 7, etc. ) all have semi auto so the car can go from 0-60 in fastest time possible.
someone might later on in the post say "oh man but what about drifting?? you cant do that in semi auto"
well , the answer is yes you can.
Lexus is F is semi auto and ppl can drift with it. computer will ensure that the car does not over rev.
17902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / SF Bay Area, CA (...
Offline
Posted 12/12/12

Valzoa wrote:


AWDfreak wrote:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q3/save_the_manuals!-car_and_driver



Like me, you may have noticed an alarming paucity of vehicles offering fully manual transmissions. Even sports-car stalwart Ferrari, of gated-shifter fame, isn’t providing a three-pedal option on the new 458 Italia. Equally distressing, I read in the Washington Post that our nation’s hard-texting youth have pronounced driving seriously lame, with only about 30 percent of 16-year-olds having acquired driving licenses as of 2008. I can’t help but think these things are related.

If folks learned to operate the entire car, not just the steering wheel and occasionally the brakes, I’d bet they’d like driving better. If they knew the sense of control imparted by that third pedal, I’d bet they would strive for its mastery. If they knew the excitement that accompanied a perfectly timed heel-toe downshift, I can guarantee they’d be hooked.

You know what we need? We need a crusade. We need to save the manuals! Not only are manual transmissions often more fuel-efficient than their two-pedal counterparts, you also can’t text while operating one. So let’s lobby carmakers to produce more of these things because they’re safer and more frugal, and let’s not tell them that they’re way more fun. Let’s train our offspring in the ancient ways of the stick shift. Let all of us knights of the clutch pedal drive our manual-equipped cars to Washington and pop ’em in front of Barry O’s house.

Won’t you join the cause? —Eddie Alterman of Car and Driver Magazine


LOL.
do you want to know why ferrari stop making manual?
It's because the people who can afford the car are mostly rich CEO who drives the car to collect their thoughts.
and since their rich why would they want a manual car? They grew up rich so they don't have much experience driving manual. so the car 30% of time gets wrecked.
Thats one reason.
the second reason is because in the old days from engine > transmission > wheels takes time
but what makes a supercar? the time from engine > transmission > wheel is less then a second. a human cannot control such power. so without proper skill and years of experience your car is pretty much gone
the newer cars are all semi auto because of that reason. the (gtr, ferrari , alphna 7, etc. ) all have semi auto so the car can go from 0-60 in fastest time possible.
someone might later on in the post say "oh man but what about drifting?? you cant do that in semi auto"
well , the answer is yes you can.
Lexus is F is semi auto and ppl can drift with it. computer will ensure that the car does not over rev.


Yes, these days the advanced dual-clutch automatics are seamlessly fast in shifting, and there's less to worry about for the drivers who don't quite see driving as a joyous activity.

However, it saps away some of the feeling and joy of driving. No automatic can compare to the genuine full control of 3-pedals. There's no getting around that. I don't care if it has the most advanced dual-clutch technology or torque converter, an automated transmission CANNOT genuinely substitute a clutch pedal.

As for drifting, no. One of the most crucial techniques in drifting is a clutch kick, and removing the control of a clutch pedal will only make drifting more difficult.
4852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Bay area California
Offline
Posted 12/12/12

AWDfreak wrote:


Valzoa wrote:


AWDfreak wrote:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q3/save_the_manuals!-car_and_driver



Like me, you may have noticed an alarming paucity of vehicles offering fully manual transmissions. Even sports-car stalwart Ferrari, of gated-shifter fame, isn’t providing a three-pedal option on the new 458 Italia. Equally distressing, I read in the Washington Post that our nation’s hard-texting youth have pronounced driving seriously lame, with only about 30 percent of 16-year-olds having acquired driving licenses as of 2008. I can’t help but think these things are related.

If folks learned to operate the entire car, not just the steering wheel and occasionally the brakes, I’d bet they’d like driving better. If they knew the sense of control imparted by that third pedal, I’d bet they would strive for its mastery. If they knew the excitement that accompanied a perfectly timed heel-toe downshift, I can guarantee they’d be hooked.

You know what we need? We need a crusade. We need to save the manuals! Not only are manual transmissions often more fuel-efficient than their two-pedal counterparts, you also can’t text while operating one. So let’s lobby carmakers to produce more of these things because they’re safer and more frugal, and let’s not tell them that they’re way more fun. Let’s train our offspring in the ancient ways of the stick shift. Let all of us knights of the clutch pedal drive our manual-equipped cars to Washington and pop ’em in front of Barry O’s house.

Won’t you join the cause? —Eddie Alterman of Car and Driver Magazine


LOL.
do you want to know why ferrari stop making manual?
It's because the people who can afford the car are mostly rich CEO who drives the car to collect their thoughts.
and since their rich why would they want a manual car? They grew up rich so they don't have much experience driving manual. so the car 30% of time gets wrecked.
Thats one reason.
the second reason is because in the old days from engine > transmission > wheels takes time
but what makes a supercar? the time from engine > transmission > wheel is less then a second. a human cannot control such power. so without proper skill and years of experience your car is pretty much gone
the newer cars are all semi auto because of that reason. the (gtr, ferrari , alphna 7, etc. ) all have semi auto so the car can go from 0-60 in fastest time possible.
someone might later on in the post say "oh man but what about drifting?? you cant do that in semi auto"
well , the answer is yes you can.
Lexus is F is semi auto and ppl can drift with it. computer will ensure that the car does not over rev.


Yes, these days the advanced dual-clutch automatics are seamlessly fast in shifting, and there's less to worry about for the drivers who don't quite see driving as a joyous activity.

However, it saps away some of the feeling and joy of driving. No automatic can compare to the genuine full control of 3-pedals. There's no getting around that. I don't care if it has the most advanced dual-clutch technology or torque converter, an automated transmission CANNOT genuinely substitute a clutch pedal.

As for drifting, no. One of the most crucial techniques in drifting is a clutch kick, and removing the control of a clutch pedal will only make drifting more difficult.


i agree with you on the feeling but drifting I can't say since I never tried.
But there was a youtube video on driftign with the IS F if you can find it. the is F was the only semi auto while all the other drifting cars were manual
48520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 2/1/13
If all cars were manual..

-It would not stop driving and texting... It only only cause more accidents
-We'd have way more traffic jams from dummies constantly stalling.

Oh yah and with most new cars automatics ARE often more fuel-efficient than manual.
I would how ever like to see more sports car being equally available in manual and automatic, cause I do think sport cars should be manual!
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.