First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Prettiest Anime Girl
43027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Philadelphia, PA
Offline
Posted 8/1/10
I am starten off with

Ruri Hoshino from Nadesico: Prince of Darkness movie

318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Middle of nowhere...
Offline
Posted 8/1/10
idiots idiots idiots ive seen better
246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / in your closet.
Offline
Posted 8/1/10 , edited 8/1/10
Nagisa <3
Posted 8/1/10

left one
3968 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / In your sushi...O.o
Offline
Posted 8/1/10

MissMauiJulia wrote:


magicuser360 wrote:

There's a difference between being "attractive", "pretty", "cute", and "beautiful."


I don't really see how, since they all pretty much mean the same thing: Another person likes the way you look.


Attractive is when you find somebody appealing for a potential partner (ex. a straight girl would not find another girl attractive, she might find her pretty (as in here), beautiful or maybe even cute depending on the context, but not attractive. A straight guy would be attracted to a girl who's attractive but he could think a girl is pretty without finding her attractive.)

Pretty is like I said in my original post, not attractive, not sexy, just pretty like art or fireworks or a fancy dress, you're not sexually attracted to a dress, therefore its pretty or beautiful but not attractive, or somebody's hair can look pretty, you wouldn't usually describe hair as attractive.

Cute can mean attractive, but not always. It usually means ur describing something like a baby animal, or something with kitty ears or big eyes or something thats fuzzy or having an appearance of a small child (normal people dont find them attractive, they find them cute, pretty, possibly beautiful. How many times have u walked up to someone holding a newborn baby and said to them "Your baby is so attractive" they'd think you're nuts)

Beautiful is just a higher more intensified version of pretty just as sexy is an intensified version of attractive.

1167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Waipahu, Hawaii
Offline
Posted 8/1/10 , edited 8/1/10

Chitaka wrote:


MissMauiJulia wrote:


magicuser360 wrote:

There's a difference between being "attractive", "pretty", "cute", and "beautiful."


I don't really see how, since they all pretty much mean the same thing: Another person likes the way you look.


Attractive is when you find somebody appealing for a potential partner (ex. a straight girl would not find another girl attractive, she might find her pretty (as in here), beautiful or maybe even cute depending on the context, but not attractive. A straight guy would be attracted to a girl who's attractive but he could think a girl is pretty without finding her attractive.)

Pretty is like I said in my original post, not attractive, not sexy, just pretty like art or fireworks or a fancy dress, you're not sexually attracted to a dress, therefore its pretty or beautiful but not attractive, or somebody's hair can look pretty, you wouldn't usually describe hair as attractive.

Cute can mean attractive, but not always. It usually means ur describing something like a baby animal, or something with kitty ears or big eyes or something thats fuzzy or having an appearance of a small child (normal people dont find them attractive, they find them cute, pretty, possibly beautiful. How many times have u walked up to someone holding a newborn baby and said to them "Your baby is so attractive" they'd think you're nuts)

Beautiful is just a higher more intensified version of pretty just as sexy is an intensified version of attractive.



Those may be your definition or explanation of what pretty, attractive, cute and beautiful mean but it may not be the same for other people. As people have different ideas as to what they find appealing to them. Look up any of the four words in a dictionary and they'll usually be synonyms with this term: "Pleasing or attractive to the eye." In order words, the a person likes the way another person looks.

Attractive doesn't always have the same meaning in terms of looks or arousal. Attractive generally means "having the quality of attracting." It could mean that a person can have an attractive personality or an an attractive mind or anything which may have an attraction towards you. Whatever it may mean is usually up to the person using the term at the time. That's why it's usually not correct to come up with your own meaning for these words, especially when another person has to interpret what it may fully mean for themselves and for other people.
3968 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / In your sushi...O.o
Offline
Posted 8/1/10 , edited 8/1/10

MissMauiJulia wrote:


Chitaka wrote:


MissMauiJulia wrote:


magicuser360 wrote:

There's a difference between being "attractive", "pretty", "cute", and "beautiful."


I don't really see how, since they all pretty much mean the same thing: Another person likes the way you look.


Attractive is when you find somebody appealing for a potential partner (ex. a straight girl would not find another girl attractive, she might find her pretty (as in here), beautiful or maybe even cute depending on the context, but not attractive. A straight guy would be attracted to a girl who's attractive but he could think a girl is pretty without finding her attractive.)

Pretty is like I said in my original post, not attractive, not sexy, just pretty like art or fireworks or a fancy dress, you're not sexually attracted to a dress, therefore its pretty or beautiful but not attractive, or somebody's hair can look pretty, you wouldn't usually describe hair as attractive.

Cute can mean attractive, but not always. It usually means ur describing something like a baby animal, or something with kitty ears or big eyes or something thats fuzzy or having an appearance of a small child (normal people dont find them attractive, they find them cute, pretty, possibly beautiful. How many times have u walked up to someone holding a newborn baby and said to them "Your baby is so attractive" they'd think you're nuts)

Beautiful is just a higher more intensified version of pretty just as sexy is an intensified version of attractive.



Those may be your definition or explanation of what pretty, attractive, cute and beautiful mean but it may not be the same for other people. As people have different ideas as to what they find appealing to them. Look up any of the four words in a dictionary and they'll usually be synonyms with this term: "Pleasing or attractive to the eye." In order words, the a person likes the way another person looks.

Attractive doesn't always have the same meaning in terms of looks or arousal. Attractive generally means "having the quality of attracting." It could mean that a person can have an attractive personality or an an attractive mind or anything which may have an attraction towards you. Whatever it may mean is usually up to the person using the term at the time. That's why it's usually not correct to come up with your own meaning for these words, especially when another person has to interpret what it may fully mean for themselves and for other people.


*sigh* never did I mention arousal there. And while yes, that textbook dictonary definition is "technically" correct, dictionaries are rarely edited to include under what circumstances most people use the word. If you thought a newborn baby looks "pleasing or attractive to the eye" would you go up to the mother/father holding said baby and say "awww your baby is so attractive" probably not because they'd think you're romantically attractive to their child just like you wouldn't say a kitten is attractive you'd say its cute (I suppose pretty or beautiful could work too, but most often used is cute). Give me some examples in which I'm wrong, then I'll reconsider, I'll give you the fact that pretty and beautiful can be intergangeable, but I said that previously. Also, would you go to a fireworks show and say "Its so cute" or "Its so attractive" probably not, you'd probably say "Its beautiful" or "Its pretty" or something like that, am I wrong?

You're correct in saying they're the same by definition, but by usage they are not the same, I explained usage, not definition.
1167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Waipahu, Hawaii
Offline
Posted 8/1/10 , edited 8/1/10

MissMauiJulia wrote:

Those may be your definition or explanation of what pretty, attractive, cute and beautiful mean but it may not be the same for other people. As people have different ideas as to what they find appealing to them. Look up any of the four words in a dictionary and they'll usually be synonyms with this term: "Pleasing or attractive to the eye." In order words, the a person likes the way another person looks.

Attractive doesn't always have the same meaning in terms of looks or arousal. Attractive generally means "having the quality of attracting." It could mean that a person can have an attractive personality or an an attractive mind or anything which may have an attraction towards you. Whatever it may mean is usually up to the person using the term at the time. That's why it's usually not correct to come up with your own meaning for these words, especially when another person has to interpret what it may fully mean for themselves and for other people.



*sigh* never did I mention arousal there. And while yes, that textbook dictonary definition is "technically" correct,


How is a dictionary definition "technically" correct? You can't exactly take something which is peer reviewed such as a dictionary or thesaurus and say that it's "not exactly correct" because it doesn't fit your narrative. You can't create your own definition for words, you can't only decide for yourself how you are suppose to interpret them.


dictionaries are rarely edited to include under what circumstances most people use the word.


That's not right. Look up any word in Dictionary.com and I guarantee you that you'll find more than 5 usage for the word. For example:

Pretty Pret·ty

adjective

1. Pleasing or attractive to the eye, as by delicacy or gracefulness

Usage:"A pretty face." "He writes pretty little stories." "This is a pretty mess!" "This accident will cost him a pretty sum."

Beautiful beau·ti·ful

1. Having beauty; having qualities that give great pleasure or satisfaction to see, hear, think about, etc.; delighting the senses or mind:

2. Excellent of its kind

3. Wonderful

Usage:"A beautiful speech." "The chef served us a beautiful roast of beef"

Attractive at·trac·tive

1. Providing pleasure or delight, esp. in appearance or manner; pleasing; charming;

2. Arousing interest or engaging one's thought, consideration, etc.

3. Having the quality of attracting.

"An attractive personality." "An attractive price."


If you thought a newborn baby looks "pleasing or attractive to the eye" would you go up to the mother/father holding said baby and say "awww your baby is so attractive" probably not because they'd think you're romantically attractive to their child just like you wouldn't say a kitten is attractive you'd say its cute (I suppose pretty or beautiful could work too, but most often used is cute).


I don't why you're making rhetorical assumptions. You're only thinking of this scenario because you've created a limited meaning for the word attractive. As I've said before, attractive as multiply meanings and can be used many different ways. You've only seem to clung to one meaning. If I said "What an attractive child" you'd probably think I was romantically in love with it, or I think the child is very beautiful. I have a nephew. He's a very attractive and handsome young man, but I am also not in love with him because he is my nephew. He's also 9 years old. Perfect example as why you can be attractive to people without being romantically involved. As I've said before Attractive -- like the words cute, pretty and beautiful -- just mean the same thing: Another person likes the way you look. Attractive just happens to have more than 1 meaning.


Give me some examples in which I'm wrong, then I'll reconsider,


I just gave you but I'll give you another. I'm pretty sure I've said I'm attracted to a few guys I'm not in love or even in lust with. I'm pretty sure you or another woman you know has said that another woman was attractive. Some women find beauty in other women and can be attracted to the way another woman looks. It doesn't make that person gay.


I'll give you the fact that pretty and beautiful can be intergangeable, but I said that previously. Also, would you go to a fireworks show and say "Its so cute" or "Its so attractive" probably not, you'd probably say "Its beautiful" or "Its pretty" or something like that, am I wrong?


Yes, because as I said early you can't decide how people use adjectives for themselves. If you insist on doing so, then you've created an unwritten rule for society which doesn't hold logic. Like matching socks for example.

Maybe I found the colors which were being used at the fireworks show to be cute or or maybe I was attracted to the bright lights and sounds that the firecrackers made. Or maybe I liked the shapes that formed after the firecracker exploded and thought it was cute. You can't really make that assessment for other people. I would understand your argument if you were explain whether or not these words are used as nouns, adjectives or verbs but you're not. You're basically telling me that the words have to be used according to what is and what isn't.


You're correct in saying they're the same by definition, but by usage they are not the same, I explained usage, not definition.


You kinda did about once, but I'm not really playing attention about that. You can't really explain usage without explaining definition. Because if you are going to create your own usage for certain words (slang for example) you better be willing to explain it's definition. Otherwise, we have possible way of interpreting your meaning. I
6362 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In Ambiguity
Offline
Posted 8/1/10


Rei Ayanami



Hotaru Tomoe a.k.a. Sailor Saturn

I find them both pretty/beautiful and want to combine their beauty... *sigh*
Posted 8/1/10

johdirockette wrote:



Rei Ayanami



Hotaru Tomoe a.k.a. Sailor Saturn

I find them both pretty/beautiful and want to combine their beauty... *sigh*


you like the quite shy type, same here bro

3064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Pilipinas
Offline
Posted 8/2/10


Kobato

aren't being pretty is mandatory among anime girls?? LOL.. kiddin'
20528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 8/2/10

iKyuubi wrote:



Kobato

aren't being pretty is mandatory among anime girls?? LOL.. kiddin'



She's beautiful! ^ _ ^
And totally agreed! Pretty much all anime girls have some degree of prettyness! I can't actually think of any ugly ones!?! :S


3968 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / In your sushi...O.o
Offline
Posted 8/2/10
To MissMauiJulia Since its too long to quote ur entire thing and will be too big of a post to reply to the entire thing i'll post a few general responses instead of disecting your entire reply. 1. A baby and a 9yr old boy are completely different, u wouldn't really describe a 9yr old boy as "cute" anymore so there attractive could be interpreted to mean...you know what never mind, I'm sick of arguing modern english with people who clearly don't understnd the difference between definition and usage. 2. I'll have you notice that the useage in all of those definitions you gave was different. Notice that for a cut of meat they said "beautiful" not pretty or cute. Have you EVER heard somebody describe a cut of meat as being cute? And in fact, you cant even argue definition by ur examples cuz the definitions are all different too. 3. The examples I gave are NOT the only way I know of to use those words, thats why they are examples. I cant very well list EVERY single situation in which those words can be used now can I? 4. No to answer your question I have never heard a straight person call somebody of the same sex attractive, I've only heard them use beauitiful, pretty (as in this thread) cute as in like a baby animal or something adorable not as in attractive. Or for guys complementing another guys appearance I've heard cool, good-looking, handsome, ect. but never attractive from a straight guy to another guy. 5. There's really no such thing as "correct usage" anymore in modern english (sad to say) other than the parts of speech and for verbs how well they describe the action (ex. you wouldn't say somebody is walking if they're moving at a running pace) what I mean by usage is how society would interpret and use them and the most common and widely accepted meaning of them. So i really have no idea where you're getting the idea that those are my ways of using the words because in fact I'm just listing them as I usually hear them used. Not to mention, thats also the problem with Englush itself, there's so many words and so many meanings, nothing is really correct per se, as long as it fits in the sentance while not violating grammar rules and people still know what you're talking about. If you want correct english, look up an Old English dictionary from Victorian England. And yes in fact people (especially authors) make up words all the time, look at Shakespeare, look at Dr. Seuss look at any given regional group.

Anyway though, I'm really getting bored of arguing, its unproductive, there's no cut and dry answer to this particular argument and its not the point of this thread. So back on topic:
bendsu 
32010 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Online
Posted 8/2/10
give it a rest Julia. you're beating a dead horse for the sake of being argumentative.
6362 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In Ambiguity
Offline
Posted 8/2/10

CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:


johdirockette wrote:



Rei Ayanami



Hotaru Tomoe a.k.a. Sailor Saturn

I find them both pretty/beautiful and want to combine their beauty... *sigh*


you like the quite shy type, same here bro



Ooh I like her, I like female characters who are shy yet sweet and are slightly indifferent towards the affections directed at them.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.