First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
World's greatest secular human in history.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 8/10/10

artgeek707 wrote:

Frankly I think "greatest human ever" is an impossible role to fill especially since human history is ongoing but she's a definate contender.


Yeah it's a tough row to hoe, but I'm liking the variety of suggestions.


maffoo 
79814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / England
Offline
Posted 8/15/10
I would like to add Euclid to the list, for his work on geometry and mathematics in general.

I don't really think anyone can really be the single "greatest" as all scientists, philosophers, mathemeticians etc. build on the work of their predecssors. Though I think a case could be made for whoever invented writing (if there was ever a single person who invented it), as it meant that ideas could be recorded for posterity rather than being passed down orally.
2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 8/16/10 , edited 8/16/10
Napoleon Bonaparte

Though it is not the best of nominations, nor even a good one, it is still a valid nomination:

a. through his conquest of Europe, he help spread the ideas of the French revolution, and, in turn, Democracy.

b. through his conquest of the Germans and Italy, he sparked the fuse of nationalism, which eventually led into a united German and Italian Nation.

c. He revolutionized Warfare.

All of the above are indisputable facts, set to stone by the learned and infalliable historians and academics of various nations, and taught at the most basic levels of history.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 8/17/10

maffoo wrote:

I would like to add Euclid to the list, for his work on geometry and mathematics in general.

I don't really think anyone can really be the single "greatest" as all scientists, philosophers, mathemeticians etc. build on the work of their predecssors. Though I think a case could be made for whoever invented writing (if there was ever a single person who invented it), as it meant that ideas could be recorded for posterity rather than being passed down orally.


I'll take Euclid for 400 Alex...

Whoever invented writing would be high on the list... except by definition they wouldn't be part of the written record.

Many western historians credit Thuycides with being the father of modern historical thought though. would he count?


75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 8/17/10

longfenglim wrote:

Napoleon Bonaparte

Though it is not the best of nominations, nor even a good one, it is still a valid nomination:

a. through his conquest of Europe, he help spread the ideas of the French revolution, and, in turn, Democracy.

b. through his conquest of the Germans and Italy, he sparked the fuse of nationalism, which eventually led into a united German and Italian Nation.

c. He revolutionized Warfare.

All of the above are indisputable facts, set to stone by the learned and infalliable historians and academics of various nations, and taught at the most basic levels of history.


Allright! our first non-nicey nice feelgood 'hero'. (and our first General.)

Some classics of early military theory writing were attempts by others to codify what Napoleon aparantly knew instinctively. He is also known as 'the last of the generals' since it was shortly after him that the prussian army invented the concept of the General Staff and completely overturned the conceptual framework for Army Command, Control and especially Planning.

Bring'em on.
2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 8/21/10
I would also say Marx, Lenin, and Stalin for their combined effort into creating the USSR and spreading 'Communism', but Communism is practically non-existent in this modern era (Unless you count China, but they practically sold themselves out).
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 8/21/10

longfenglim wrote:

I would also say Marx, Lenin, and Stalin for their combined effort into creating the USSR and spreading 'Communism', but Communism is practically non-existent in this modern era (Unless you count China, but they practically sold themselves out).


Why not Mao then?

I have my own opinions on all four but that's not what this thread is about at the moment. Please pick one. Also if communism is their claim to greatness please tell us what's so great about communism. (secondary and tertiary effects are allowed if you don't think communism is 'great' but find greatness in the response to it's introduction into human discourse)

2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 8/21/10

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


longfenglim wrote:

I would also say Marx, Lenin, and Stalin for their combined effort into creating the USSR and spreading 'Communism', but Communism is practically non-existent in this modern era (Unless you count China, but they practically sold themselves out).


Why not Mao then?

I have my own opinions on all four but that's not what this thread is about at the moment. Please pick one. Also if communism is their claim to greatness please tell us what's so great about communism. (secondary and tertiary effects are allowed if you don't think communism is 'great' but find greatness in the response to it's introduction into human discourse)



Communism is not great, but the era immediately following World War II was basically defined by an eternal and possibly unending conflict between the powers of the USSR and the USA, other nations being vehicles to perpetuate the war between them without confronting each other directly. Many conflict in this time are remnants of Cold War animosity.

Mao kept China shut in for much of the time until Nixon, and Deng Xiaoping basically opened up China to capitalism, probably exerting more influence on the China we see today, with its glassed towers and New York-ish streets.

But, to choose one, I would probably say Stalin.

But Communism no longer has the effect it had, and that is why I was very hesitant to mention it.
55941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / Midwest, rural Am...
Offline
Posted 8/21/10
This thread has been most enjoyable-- I've loved following it!!
I posted early & have watched it's progress. I had hoped for more specific "people" inputs & suggestions, but instead the arguments over the suggestions of others occasionally interrupt it.

Meanwhile, I offer a different suggestion to my "favorite" secular person & their contribution to humanity. Problem is it's more an occupation than one specific person.

AUTHORS of fiction. The incredible contributions of entertainment, escapisms, enlightenment, emotional involvement, etc., there is no equal to the magic & insight of the story tellers of humanity!

My personal favorite is Lewis Carroll, altho I am awfully fond of J. R. R. Tolkien, as well.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 8/21/10

farmbird wrote:

This thread has been most enjoyable-- I've loved following it!!
I posted early & have watched it's progress. I had hoped for more specific "people" inputs & suggestions, but instead the arguments over the suggestions of others occasionally interrupt it.

Meanwhile, I offer a different suggestion to my "favorite" secular person & their contribution to humanity. Problem is it's more an occupation than one specific person.

AUTHORS of fiction. The incredible contributions of entertainment, escapisms, enlightenment, emotional involvement, etc., there is no equal to the magic & insight of the story tellers of humanity!

My personal favorite is Lewis Carroll, altho I am awfully fond of J. R. R. Tolkien, as well.


I'm enjoying it too. I'm finding all sorts of interesting awnswers. Later on I'm going to collate the responses and spin off some threads based on the ideas raised here.


34203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New York, NY
Offline
Posted 8/25/10
Plato: father of formal systematic philosophy, brilliant literary mind, and the greatest critic of democracy ever to have lived. There is literally no question in the entire field of philosophy that is not addressed somewhere in the dialogues of Plato.

Aristotle: father of scientific thought, inventor of formal logic, naturalist, political theorist, and ethical theorist. Author of the Nicomachean Ethics, which remains perhaps the finest single work of moral philosophy ever written. Had enormous influence on Islamic developments in mathematics, physics, ethics, and medicine, and became, though them, the basis of all serious thought in the West for several hundred years.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 9/1/10
And a couple of Key Greek Philosophers

cool.

so where are we now?
65911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / F / Atlanta GA
Offline
Posted 9/6/10
Benjamin Franklin is my choice writer inventor scientist diplomate businessman pretty well round you ask me. heck the old giver was still getting it on as a old man.
3229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 9/9/10
Marcus Aurelius: Roman Emperor from 161 A.D. to 180 A.D.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 9/9/10

openmindedatheist wrote:

Marcus Aurelius: Roman Emperor from 161 A.D. to 180 A.D.


intersting and the reason? Expansion? ideas? alteration of our historical landscape? what?


First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.