First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
One Language to Rule Them All~!!!
37656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 8/14/10

seanthenry wrote:


trc_lover wrote:

Body language or Chinese(China has a big population)


Body language is different everywhere some places a nod ho the head means yes others if means no.

Chinese is not a language its a nationality the two languages are Cantonese and Mandarin.

I would have to agree with the OP English on all accounts even though I'm bias. It is spoken as a primary or secondary language in many places or even a third in some countries. English evolves and changes with time unlike Newspeak that is the only language that gets smaller with each passing year. Also many languages are similar to English and even those that are not adopt English words.

I'm for English because its doubbly good.


LOL. Chinese has lots of dialects, over 20, not just Canto and Mandarin.

I'd say Chinese. (:
47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 8/14/10 , edited 8/14/10
1. English

2. English because the most powerful country in the world....America speaks it.

3. English

Dont really need much explanation for my choices.
Posted 8/14/10
Sindarin.
8669 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Akatsuki Lair
Offline
Posted 8/14/10
English! Its a language everybody should know lol
1571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Uk
Offline
Posted 8/14/10
English ...it is the most versatile I think with the most words out of any language
Posted 8/15/10 , edited 8/15/10
“If you could remove all languages, except one language, and instantly download "that one language" into everyone’s minds, would you? and what language would it be?”

English.


“What would you say is the one language, that won’t die out, and everyone in the world will eventually know? (support your answer)”

English. (Because obvious answer is obvious)
Although it's different everywhere. In Europe it's really good to know German when you work with big companies and travel around. In Asia it's Chinese and America is.. Well English. But all in all I would say English.



“What language is most dominate in our world today?

English.
492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/15/10

Well i for one think English is the most boring bland meh language there is.so if i culd make every1 knoww one language it wld have 2 be Japanese:) the language is so fun and pretty easy:)
3655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / in yur dark heart
Offline
Posted 8/15/10

blue_banana wrote:


MikeN427 wrote:

Question 2: English, Since America and Britain are powerful countries, and many countries are teaching students English as a second language.



I lol'ed. No offense but I live in Britain, and let me assure you we are anything but powerful. America maybe, but I hear they have severe problems recently too...

i second that about britain

31851 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Amelia
Offline
Posted 8/15/10
If you can't answer these questions, and not bash, then you clearly already have an answer to these questions. Whether you hate the answer and are in denial, because you can't stand the answer isn't your spoken language, or you are simply too immature for this discussion.

This is the biggest load of crap i've ever read. I'm american so english is my "Spoken language" but to say I'm in denial and to immature for this discussion. Ya either stupid in the head or a completely arrogant american teen who thinks he's hot shit.

Point is there are tons of amazing languages out there and the only reason many americans dont know french/Japanese/German is because we rank really low on intelligence level compared to other countries. Heres an example
n 2002, UNICEF compared public education in twenty four nations around the world: the US ranked 18. Forty years ago America had the highest graduation rate: now America is ranked as the 19th. US 4th grade math grades have remained the same since 1995, while other countries have improved. Science has always been what has propelled the United States, economically, above other countries.

Read more at Suite101: The State of Education in the United States: Why America is Behind Other Countries http://educationalissues.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_state_of_education_in_the_united_states#ixzz0whBy839t

We as a society are just to unintelligent to learn more than one language. Where as other nations schools make it almost mandatory to learn one.
Posted 8/15/10

vulcanx wrote:

If you can't answer these questions, and not bash, then you clearly already have an answer to these questions. Whether you hate the answer and are in denial, because you can't stand the answer isn't your spoken language, or you are simply too immature for this discussion.

This is the biggest load of crap i've ever read. I'm american so english is my "Spoken language" but to say I'm in denial and to immature for this discussion. Ya either stupid in the head or a completely arrogant american teen who thinks he's hot shit.

Point is there are tons of amazing languages out there and the only reason many americans dont know french/Japanese/German is because we rank really low on intelligence level compared to other countries. Heres an example
n 2002, UNICEF compared public education in twenty four nations around the world: the US ranked 18. Forty years ago America had the highest graduation rate: now America is ranked as the 19th. US 4th grade math grades have remained the same since 1995, while other countries have improved. Science has always been what has propelled the United States, economically, above other countries.

Read more at Suite101: The State of Education in the United States: Why America is Behind Other Countries http://educationalissues.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_state_of_education_in_the_united_states#ixzz0whBy839t

We as a society are just to unintelligent to learn more than one language. Where as other nations schools make it almost mandatory to learn one.


How am I arogant? X_X ....notice how I used the word AND in this:

If you can't answer these questions, and not bash, then you clearly already have an answer to these questions. Whether you hate the answer and are in denial, because you can't stand the answer isn't your spoken language, or you are simply too immature for this discussion.

I used the word AND because both conditions must be met, to apply to an individual (there are other possible reasons why someone would bash but I'm not going to go through them all, for obvious reasons)..... It weaves out individuals who are very biased, and arrogant, that plan to bash....

Your argument against me would make sense, if I was bashing other languages, and saying English is the best. Which I obviously did not do.

My post was for curiosity purposes only. Not some post proclaiming other languages are stupid yada yada my owns the best.

I wanted to hear other peoples opinions, about what direction they think language will take in the future. Also the first question I asked. serves the purpose of making people think..... Would the world be better if we could all verbally communicate with each other?... Would cultures lose what makes them unique?.... Would the world progress at a faster rate if we all spoke the same language?....These are all interesting questions that come to mind.....

To call me arrogant makes no sense... but what ever... you are free to your opinion, which I don't care to change. But next time, if you decide to reply in my post, don't go insulting people, it's very rude....
37460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Canada
Offline
Posted 8/15/10
If you could remove all languages, except one language, and instantly download "that one language" into everyone’s minds, would you? and what language would it be?”
The language of music.

“What would you say is the one language, that won’t die out, and everyone in the world will eventually know? (support your answer)”
Um.. I don't know.


“What language is most dominate in our world today? considering such factors as How many speak the language, how many know the language as a second language, and is backed by/ and used by the strongest country or countries in the world.” (all these factors combined! not just one)

English.
1039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Under the Bridge
Offline
Posted 8/15/10
“If you could remove all languages, except one language, and instantly download "that one language" into everyone’s minds, would you? and what language would it be?”
English

“What would you say is the one language, that won’t die out, and everyone in the world will eventually know?”
English. Everyone knows how to speak and write in English.

“What language is most dominate in our world today? considering such factors as How many speak the language, how many know the language as a second language, and is backed by/ and used by the strongest country or countries in the world.”
English
84308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Colorado, USA
Offline
Posted 8/15/10 , edited 8/15/10
This is more or less a topic I think about very often.

Having lived in America all my life, English was the only language I needed to know, and our schooling system puts weak emphasis on learning a second language. By comparison to common knowledge, I have quite a mastery over from the english language.

It is not by comparison, but by mastery that I have come to the conclusion that english SUCKS.

A united world (and by abstract world peace) has been the dream of humanity for a long time. A united world would also mean merged cultures. For this to happen, it would mean a single world language. Currently the world in on a path to English becoming the world language. Not because it's good, but because of the most influential countries speaking it. And the next rank of influential countries also know good english because of their relationships with the english countries.

That and the huge influence of the internet have caused most of the world to come to have english as a second language. This very directly means that it is close to being the world language.

BUT I do not think the English language is ideal for becoming the world language. I do not want it to become that. The english language is a composite language, it has borrowed so many elements from other european languages. As a result, there are a ton of inconsistencies in the language. I must "laugh" at some of the "phony" rules in our language.

In studying these flaws, I've noticed that the problems I hate most have french origins. I think if we could eject all of the french from english, I might like it more. However I've briefly looked into most european languages to see if there is one that is noticeably more logical. All have failed me. I concluded that the problem exists in all languages with any proximity to the latin language.

I've been studying japanese well, making it my second language. Since it had such an isolated and unique development, I thought it might serve as a polar opposite to latin. It seems I was mistaken, as it too is flawed with illogical elements. I know little of the spoken portion of other languages like chinese or korean, so they could possibly be last hopes. But I don't think such exists, as all languages have come from older illogical times.

A new language is needed. A bunch of expert linguists and scientists that know mouths well need to come together and work on such. The first step would be to make every distinct mouth-made noise possible, then narrow it down based on how well the ears distinguish them, how well they flow to other sounds, and how easy they are to execute with speed. That should establish a larger "alphabet" than any others, and provide the opportunity for a more diverse and useful vocabulary. There's plenty of concepts that I cannot express in english using standard vocabulary.


But I feel my point falls on deaf ears. If everyone speaks the same language regardless, then there's no problems, right? Or such is common thought...
1142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / PLACES
Offline
Posted 8/15/10 , edited 8/15/10
Mandarin.

There is no excuse for Americans, by and large, only knowing English. We talk about globalization when we want to push our customs and language on others, but when globalization affects us too, we talk about how Amurrikan we are. To be honest, there are too many people in Europe, China, S. Korea and Japan that have a working knowledge of other languages other than their own mother tongues.
8619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Dreamsicle
Offline
Posted 8/15/10 , edited 8/15/10


Actually certain American school (of my knowledge) would require their students to take a foreign language for graduation.

I would not pick one language to rule the world, because other cultures would be lost. Be sides I like being a bilingual.
^ o ^
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.