Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
University/College Classes
2691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / "Podunk USA" Brun...
Offline
Posted 12/11/06

WrathS wrote:

Hmmm... I am a 1st year Pre-Med student (University of Iowa), but that will probably change next year. It's not that I dislike science, it's that I now realize that after 300+ hours of hospital volunteering, that I don't want to do it very much anymore.

I'm probably going to take more Biology and Chemistry.. perhaps delve into the nanosciences. That would be fun and interesting. Hopefully they have classes here that prepare for that. I've always liked Biology and I like thinking about things on the small, molecular scale (even though sometimes, Chemical equations can be rough). I'm not amazing at it.... but I am much better than most of my class (of almost 800 people).

Aside from that... I am pretty good at writing philosophy papers and English papers. Writing, in general is my talent. Sadly, I can't seem to find my inspiration for writing my planned novel. Writing on your own is so much different than picking apart a novel or essay for rhetorical analysis/symbolism/themes/etc.

Maybe I should become a writer rather than I scientist? At the University here, they have a great Writer's Workshop. Hmmm...

I also am studying music theory, because in my free time I write music with two bands and will be doing shows in around February with one of them.

I don't know... college is less intellectual for me and more about figuring out what I really want to do. And then getting no help from anyone, because they all tell me I can do whatever I want.


Yep, college is way overrated.
And so is all this "education". Philosophy is the real advancement of Humanity, but sadly it doesn't pay too well.

This generation is very disenfranchised with scientific progress. They see it as science brings out our best wonders of intelligence, but we only use them for evil and corrupt reasons. I wholeheartedly agree with them.
Some of them are planning to graduate college and live on welfare. That disturbs me. If the previous generations screwed everything up so badly, I don't want another apathetic group settling to our misery. They should feel SOMETHING about our current mess, anger, optimism, but never NOTHING.
That's why I hate on "education" so much, it is melting their motivation like a hot poker in a stick of butter.
And don't just say, it's only America's education system, because all systems are upping the ante on their generation, with no end in sight.
Backlash should come in a wave of Akira-esque social problems(Japanese already have a class of citizens known as freeters, imagine if they wanted a social revolution )
46549 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/11/06

lusulpher wrote:

And so is all this "education". Philosophy is the real advancement of Humanity, but sadly it doesn't pay too well.


You are right. but hey, better Socrates dissatisfied than a pig satisfied.
1951 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/11/06

mauz15 wrote:

Yes! My last final was today!


quater wrote:

Couldn't we have education be a little more exciting? Or at least presented more excitingly?


I totally agree with you. Some professors lack creativity in their teaching.


Ah.. I should be studying for finals right now as a matter of fact. (It'll all be over in a week...) I'm in my second year of college.

With regard to the sciences, I'd have to say it's not the lack of excitment in the presentation of the topics that bothers me, it's more that they're presented in a convoluted, unclear form. The way the books are written and the way they are taught that makes them unnecessarily convoluted. I have an old (1965) physics book that explains some of the concepts much more clearly than my current class text. Although parts of it could also be improved.
46549 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/11/06
Not only that but college books are so ridiculously expensive. Thank goodness there's eBay
6212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / US
Offline
Posted 12/11/06

mauz15 wrote:


lusulpher wrote:

And so is all this "education". Philosophy is the real advancement of Humanity, but sadly it doesn't pay too well.


You are right. but hey, better Socrates dissatisfied than a pig satisfied.


I'd want to be a pig satisfied before I made a call on this one. >_<

2finals down, 2 to go. Fing teachers who want students to write essays on bullshit like "poetic devices." One crazy teacher wanted me to write 16paragraphs + short identify. The questions were geared toward people to actually cared about the topic from the inside, but i guess thats what i get taking modern catholicism, such as "Consider three problems women face in side the church. Can these be solved?" Look if these women left the church they would not have to deal with this k? But i try to be a bit less plain then that.

And lets admit that science generally has much more practical importance then philosophy does. Education is defiantly a huge concern of mine which I mean to read up on more.

Next semester:
problems of knowlege
perspectives on death
nutrition
Writers and their worlds
+something.
14495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Way of The Ninja...
Offline
Posted 12/11/06

Eros wrote:


mauz15 wrote:


lusulpher wrote:

And so is all this "education". Philosophy is the real advancement of Humanity, but sadly it doesn't pay too well.


You are right. but hey, better Socrates dissatisfied than a pig satisfied.


I'd want to be a pig satisfied before I made a call on this one. >_<

2finals down, 2 to go. Fing teachers who want students to write essays on bullshit like "poetic devices." One crazy teacher wanted me to write 16paragraphs + short identify. The questions were geared toward people to actually cared about the topic from the inside, but i guess thats what i get taking modern catholicism, such as "Consider three problems women face in side the church. Can these be solved?" Look if these women left the church they would not have to deal with this k? But i try to be a bit less plain then that.

And lets admit that science generally has much more practical importance then philosophy does. Education is defiantly a huge concern of mine which I mean to read up on more.

Next semester:
problems of knowlege
perspectives on death
nutrition
Writers and their worlds
+something.



These sound so boring I almost fell asleep reading them.
6212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / US
Offline
Posted 12/11/06
I have only the vaguest Idea what th heck you mean. Anyway, I expect the semester to be rather good. I have a great teach for problems of knowledge, he wrote his dissertation on the topic. Death is fun no? The writing class is on people like Orwell, so its neat. Nutrition is important, and I'd like to learn more. My idea of boring is math, history, dull science classes, etc.
1821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Utah
Offline
Posted 12/11/06
Right now I have a master's degree with a major on computer science. Teaching is not my forte so don't ask for my advice.
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 12/11/06

lusulpher wrote:

Yep, college is way overrated.
And so is all this "education". Philosophy is the real advancement of Humanity, but sadly it doesn't pay too well.

This generation is very disenfranchised with scientific progress. They see it as science brings out our best wonders of intelligence, but we only use them for evil and corrupt reasons. I wholeheartedly agree with them.
Some of them are planning to graduate college and live on welfare. That disturbs me. If the previous generations screwed everything up so badly, I don't want another apathetic group settling to our misery. They should feel SOMETHING about our current mess, anger, optimism, but never NOTHING.
That's why I hate on "education" so much, it is melting their motivation like a hot poker in a stick of butter.
And don't just say, it's only America's education system, because all systems are upping the ante on their generation, with no end in sight.
Backlash should come in a wave of Akira-esque social problems(Japanese already have a class of citizens known as freeters, imagine if they wanted a social revolution )


I think science and technology is capable of being either mankind's redemption or damnatation. Like anything else, it's all on how we use it. Even philosophy can be used in a destructive manner - look at Nazi Germany.

I'm a technology student. I chose that mainly because I have some experience there as well as my ultimate goal is to get as well paying a job as I can. I'm definitely more a english/history person by nature, but I'm too practical to pursue something with so limited a career field. I'm not in love with the field, but the more I get into the more I'm finding I enjoy it. I love seeing the things I build come together and work. I can't wait to start designing things and then implementing them. I like the idea of being apart of the future, being able to improve the way in which we live. I also like doing something practical. I have a better understanding of how the world works around me because of what I learn. I can pursue the "why" on my own outside of school.

Personally, I think there may be alot of philosphical truths embedded within mathematics, science and technology. I like how the more we learn about the world, the more we learn just how digital everything around us is. Look at DNA - we're all in essence just a series of bits. We're all elaborate organic machines. If we can write and edit a program composed of nothings more than ones and zeroes, what is to stop us from applying the same methodology to a human being? Editing our programs to take care of aging, deficiences, etc. Of course, you could argue whether you should or not, but the fact that it may even be capable is something that excites me.

Everything around us works in a logical manner, from the smallest molecule to the workings of space itself, and it can all be expressed through math and science. Is it really that much of a stretch to start applying mathematical concepts to philosphy? I'm not saying that is necessarily my concept of philosophy, but I think it would be an interesting angle to approach it from.

That, and I love the idea of being able to build a mech.
46549 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/11/06
Mathematical concepts in Philosophy make up an overwhelming part of the discipline. From logic to language to Philosophy of science, etc. I have a hard time reading most of it, but I enjoy the approach very much.
13014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
74 / F / in the club
Offline
Posted 12/11/06

demortal wrote:

Anyone a software engineer? Im currently a comp sci major, but just a curious question...im takin calc1 next semester, and is all that math really used in real life coding world? (btw ionno crap about programming)


If you can understand and solve a simple calculus (integral or differential), there is a probability that you can solve a mind-squeezing programming very well.
6212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / US
Offline
Posted 12/11/06
"Look at DNA - we're all in essence just a series of bits."

Damn mauz that should have been my thesis. Person=dna=bits. Just kidding, but the spirit of the notion is interesting.

"Mathematical concepts in Philosophy make up an overwhelming part of the discipline."

Yea, guess thats why im only required to take one math course as a phl major. >_<
46549 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/11/06

Eros wrote:

Yea, guess thats why im only required to take one math course as a phl major. >_<


Ok mathematical logicians then.
265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Iowa City
Offline
Posted 12/12/06

mauz15 wrote:

Mathematical concepts in Philosophy make up an overwhelming part of the discipline. From logic to language to Philosophy of science, etc. I have a hard time reading most of it, but I enjoy the approach very much.



Generally, yes, that is the first thing you're taught: logic. Makes sense, considering that all philosophy is is arguing. At least, as I have come to understand it. I make statement A, and someone else disserts with B, ad nauseum. Only through conversation can we advance our ideas.

At any rate, I enjoyed your quoting of Mill; even if I may disagree with his philosophy at times. I remember writing an essay about the "king pig" earlier this semester. Intriguing stuff, even if it isn't the exact crux of philosophical matters.

I've wondered, this, though: Is it necessarily true that doubting mathematics doubts logic, and, therefore, any method of communication, argumentation, etc?

If so, why? Children seem to be able to argue without mathematics. Or am I straw-manning this issue?

Is it that by doubting mathematics, you doubt order, and therefore patterns of causality or some such? Isn't order a relative thing though? I am getting off topic, but you seem to be the person to get off topic with.
13014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
74 / F / in the club
Offline
Posted 12/12/06

Zepher wrote:

Right now I have a master's degree with a major on computer science. Teaching is not my forte so don't ask for my advice.


I took up Master's degree in Information Science 2 years back. I already earned 15 units for 2 semesters (Methods of research, Discrete Math, Statistics, probabilities and Queuing Theory, Data Structure and Algorithm, and Digital Design) but I stopped. I was excited to finish the degree back then but my Professors lacks creativity in teaching and I’m so disappointed. e-Learning may help me in a way. I'm so blanked right now.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.