First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Do you generally not look like your race?
7109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Singapore
Offline
Posted 9/13/10
hmm,well,I'm 100% chinese and I look like 1 lol
747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 9/13/10
I'm Asian and I look like one so my answer would be: I generally look like my race.
13258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / O.C. So.Cal
Offline
Posted 9/13/10

negative1111 wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


negative1111 wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


negative1111 wrote:


Magikwok wrote:

In my sociology class we discussed how race is obviously identified by biological aspects, but is also based off of society's perspective on how we look. I am part Japanese, Chinese, and Hawaiian so I don't really know where my features came from. It makes me feel unique, but I'd rather be able to be in depth with one particular culture and feel like I belong.

Some people know I'm asian right off the bat without asking any questions, others believe that I'm from hispanic descent. I personally don't know what to think about how I look xD

So are you part of a race whose culture you'd like to be more apart of? Do people deny you because of it or do they embrace you? Share your experiences with people's reactions. If you are not mixed, tell us your opinion of people who are. Your views about it can be whatever, just don't be rude

Sorry if something like this was already done.


im partially god... the rest of me is just pure awesomeness in the shape of a man.

no but seriously, who cares? i dont want to piss on your self-deceit but you look asian... you clearly have all the asian features, its just that you cover your face with teddybears and stare like a maniac into the camera (so the eyes look bigger)... staring like that wont make you look more like westerner but it does make you look weird, so congrats :)

i think you are in denial

um yeah, sorry if i was rude in anyway, just like to keep it short and straight to the point


and where the fuck in her post does it say she wants to look white? fuck off troll and don't be so conceited.


ne way on topic I'm 100% korean, as far as I can tell, and i've asked my parents if they were korean and they said our ancestors were as korean as korean gets lol, but people say I don't look korean


did you get offended? i think you look asian (koran, chinese, japanese, vietnamese... its all the same)



Yes, offended by your conceit and ignorance. If you consider korea, china, japan, vietnam etc to be all the same, then would you consider england, france, and germany to be all the same? We have very different cultures, so don't be categorizing them into the same group.


We wasn't talking about culture... french and germans look almost identical.. there is just a "myth" that french people have big noses


Culture makes a big part of who we are. You lose your culture, you lose your identity. Anyways, asians can differentiate other asians apart from each other very accurately. Just because you can't tell the difference doesn't mean everyone else can't. Time to step outside of that little bubble of yours and learn to appreciate other parts of the world for once
Posted 9/13/10


haha, I know exactly what you mean. Even my Indian family that knows I dont speak of word of Telugu try it every time and get very disappointed when I look at them like they're crazy.
Posted 9/14/10

LemonyPanda wrote:


negative1111 wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


negative1111 wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


negative1111 wrote:


Magikwok wrote:

In my sociology class we discussed how race is obviously identified by biological aspects, but is also based off of society's perspective on how we look. I am part Japanese, Chinese, and Hawaiian so I don't really know where my features came from. It makes me feel unique, but I'd rather be able to be in depth with one particular culture and feel like I belong.

Some people know I'm asian right off the bat without asking any questions, others believe that I'm from hispanic descent. I personally don't know what to think about how I look xD

So are you part of a race whose culture you'd like to be more apart of? Do people deny you because of it or do they embrace you? Share your experiences with people's reactions. If you are not mixed, tell us your opinion of people who are. Your views about it can be whatever, just don't be rude

Sorry if something like this was already done.


im partially god... the rest of me is just pure awesomeness in the shape of a man.

no but seriously, who cares? i dont want to piss on your self-deceit but you look asian... you clearly have all the asian features, its just that you cover your face with teddybears and stare like a maniac into the camera (so the eyes look bigger)... staring like that wont make you look more like westerner but it does make you look weird, so congrats :)

i think you are in denial

um yeah, sorry if i was rude in anyway, just like to keep it short and straight to the point


and where the fuck in her post does it say she wants to look white? fuck off troll and don't be so conceited.


ne way on topic I'm 100% korean, as far as I can tell, and i've asked my parents if they were korean and they said our ancestors were as korean as korean gets lol, but people say I don't look korean


did you get offended? i think you look asian (koran, chinese, japanese, vietnamese... its all the same)



Yes, offended by your conceit and ignorance. If you consider korea, china, japan, vietnam etc to be all the same, then would you consider england, france, and germany to be all the same? We have very different cultures, so don't be categorizing them into the same group.


We wasn't talking about culture... french and germans look almost identical.. there is just a "myth" that french people have big noses


Culture makes a big part of who we are. You lose your culture, you lose your identity. Anyways, asians can differentiate other asians apart from each other very accurately. Just because you can't tell the difference doesn't mean everyone else can't. Time to step outside of that little bubble of yours and learn to appreciate other parts of the world for once


you should never let culture define you....

i guess thats what makes asians cookie cut people.... and you have no idea what i enjoy and dont... this wasnt a discussion about culture, i was only saying asians look teh same from my point of view
253 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / cali
Offline
Posted 9/14/10
um im half chinese anf half white...ppl think im either hispanic or white when i tell them im part chinese they dont believe until i say a couple words in chinese
1217 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / US
Offline
Posted 9/14/10


I disagree with that last post. Culture makes people different, not just clumped up into one group. To be in a culture means that you're a part of something that has been passed down by your ancestors. Because I'm mixed, it has been very hard for me my whole life to an identity because I wasn't sure which way to go. But I don't want to become just like them, I just want to not feel like I'm missing out on all of the amazing things I can experience in life. It is important for me to be a piece of my own foundation. I also don't like how lifeless the American culture is. Watching tv... eating McDonalds... Bowling?? Lol. I'd rather be with people like my family (who I can never see because they live in Hawaii).

So race is not the same thing as your culture but it plays a big part of being accepted and recognized.
Posted 9/14/10

Magikwok wrote:



I disagree with that last post. Culture makes people different, not just clumped up into one group. To be in a culture means that you're a part of something that has been passed down by your ancestors. Because I'm mixed, it has been very hard for me my whole life to an identity because I wasn't sure which way to go. But I don't want to become just like them, I just want to not feel like I'm missing out on all of the amazing things I can experience in life. It is important for me to be a piece of my own foundation. I also don't like how lifeless the American culture is. Watching tv... eating McDonalds... Bowling?? Lol. I'd rather be with people like my family (who I can never see because they live in Hawaii).

So race is not the same thing as your culture but it plays a big part of being accepted and recognized.


"Culture makes people different, not just clumped up into one group."

Wrong, culture doesnt create individuality, its the other way around...

and trust me, its muuch better to experience a culture if you are cultureless (like me)... muslims, for example, do not find their culture anything special because they have experienced their whole life... a pizza in the weekend doesnt taste good if you dont eat potatoes on the weekdays... get it?

Do explain what you mean by accepted and recognized...
29407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Haugesund, Norway!
Offline
Posted 9/14/10 , edited 9/14/10
My friends tell me that im a ogre, but i hardly look like one. They hurt my feelings

Me

Ogre

666 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
113 / F / Israel
Offline
Posted 9/14/10
well I'm Romanian and I look russian
13258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / O.C. So.Cal
Offline
Posted 9/14/10

negative1111 wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


negative1111 wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


negative1111 wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


negative1111 wrote:


Magikwok wrote:

In my sociology class we discussed how race is obviously identified by biological aspects, but is also based off of society's perspective on how we look. I am part Japanese, Chinese, and Hawaiian so I don't really know where my features came from. It makes me feel unique, but I'd rather be able to be in depth with one particular culture and feel like I belong.

Some people know I'm asian right off the bat without asking any questions, others believe that I'm from hispanic descent. I personally don't know what to think about how I look xD

So are you part of a race whose culture you'd like to be more apart of? Do people deny you because of it or do they embrace you? Share your experiences with people's reactions. If you are not mixed, tell us your opinion of people who are. Your views about it can be whatever, just don't be rude

Sorry if something like this was already done.


im partially god... the rest of me is just pure awesomeness in the shape of a man.

no but seriously, who cares? i dont want to piss on your self-deceit but you look asian... you clearly have all the asian features, its just that you cover your face with teddybears and stare like a maniac into the camera (so the eyes look bigger)... staring like that wont make you look more like westerner but it does make you look weird, so congrats :)

i think you are in denial

um yeah, sorry if i was rude in anyway, just like to keep it short and straight to the point


and where the fuck in her post does it say she wants to look white? fuck off troll and don't be so conceited.


ne way on topic I'm 100% korean, as far as I can tell, and i've asked my parents if they were korean and they said our ancestors were as korean as korean gets lol, but people say I don't look korean


did you get offended? i think you look asian (koran, chinese, japanese, vietnamese... its all the same)



Yes, offended by your conceit and ignorance. If you consider korea, china, japan, vietnam etc to be all the same, then would you consider england, france, and germany to be all the same? We have very different cultures, so don't be categorizing them into the same group.


We wasn't talking about culture... french and germans look almost identical.. there is just a "myth" that french people have big noses


Culture makes a big part of who we are. You lose your culture, you lose your identity. Anyways, asians can differentiate other asians apart from each other very accurately. Just because you can't tell the difference doesn't mean everyone else can't. Time to step outside of that little bubble of yours and learn to appreciate other parts of the world for once


you should never let culture define you....

i guess thats what makes asians cookie cut people.... and you have no idea what i enjoy and dont... this wasnt a discussion about culture, i was only saying asians look teh same from my point of view


In ancient civilizations, banishment was considered to be just as bad as being put to death. By being kicked out of their tribe or group, they lose their history, and all traces of them ever being there were wiped clean. You lose your culture, you become nothing more than a single beast struggling to survive.

Did you not say korean, chinese, japanese vietnamese as all the same? And if you were only talking about looks, I already said, people can identify whether they are chinese/vietnamese/korean/japanese. Its only when it gets mixed that it starts getting hard. For example, today I just signed up for an interact club in my school, and a girl asked me if I was korean. Same thing happened when I joined my korean club, I didn't speak a word of korean and they immediately recognized me. Just simple coincidence? I doubt it
7876 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / ♪Inside Your Head♫
Offline
Posted 9/14/10

Elise258 wrote:

I'm Asian and I look like one so my answer would be: I generally look like my race.


LOL true.
Posted 9/15/10

LemonyPanda wrote:


negative1111 wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


negative1111 wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


negative1111 wrote:


LemonyPanda wrote:


negative1111 wrote:


Magikwok wrote:

In my sociology class we discussed how race is obviously identified by biological aspects, but is also based off of society's perspective on how we look. I am part Japanese, Chinese, and Hawaiian so I don't really know where my features came from. It makes me feel unique, but I'd rather be able to be in depth with one particular culture and feel like I belong.

Some people know I'm asian right off the bat without asking any questions, others believe that I'm from hispanic descent. I personally don't know what to think about how I look xD

So are you part of a race whose culture you'd like to be more apart of? Do people deny you because of it or do they embrace you? Share your experiences with people's reactions. If you are not mixed, tell us your opinion of people who are. Your views about it can be whatever, just don't be rude

Sorry if something like this was already done.


im partially god... the rest of me is just pure awesomeness in the shape of a man.

no but seriously, who cares? i dont want to piss on your self-deceit but you look asian... you clearly have all the asian features, its just that you cover your face with teddybears and stare like a maniac into the camera (so the eyes look bigger)... staring like that wont make you look more like westerner but it does make you look weird, so congrats :)

i think you are in denial

um yeah, sorry if i was rude in anyway, just like to keep it short and straight to the point


and where the fuck in her post does it say she wants to look white? fuck off troll and don't be so conceited.


ne way on topic I'm 100% korean, as far as I can tell, and i've asked my parents if they were korean and they said our ancestors were as korean as korean gets lol, but people say I don't look korean


did you get offended? i think you look asian (koran, chinese, japanese, vietnamese... its all the same)



Yes, offended by your conceit and ignorance. If you consider korea, china, japan, vietnam etc to be all the same, then would you consider england, france, and germany to be all the same? We have very different cultures, so don't be categorizing them into the same group.


We wasn't talking about culture... french and germans look almost identical.. there is just a "myth" that french people have big noses


Culture makes a big part of who we are. You lose your culture, you lose your identity. Anyways, asians can differentiate other asians apart from each other very accurately. Just because you can't tell the difference doesn't mean everyone else can't. Time to step outside of that little bubble of yours and learn to appreciate other parts of the world for once


you should never let culture define you....

i guess thats what makes asians cookie cut people.... and you have no idea what i enjoy and dont... this wasnt a discussion about culture, i was only saying asians look teh same from my point of view


In ancient civilizations, banishment was considered to be just as bad as being put to death. By being kicked out of their tribe or group, they lose their history, and all traces of them ever being there were wiped clean. You lose your culture, you become nothing more than a single beast struggling to survive.

Did you not say korean, chinese, japanese vietnamese as all the same? And if you were only talking about looks, I already said, people can identify whether they are chinese/vietnamese/korean/japanese. Its only when it gets mixed that it starts getting hard. For example, today I just signed up for an interact club in my school, and a girl asked me if I was korean. Same thing happened when I joined my korean club, I didn't speak a word of korean and they immediately recognized me. Just simple coincidence? I doubt it


Its not that people from europe doesnt look the same, its just that europe has a much larger variety of "looks".. i mean, alot of people i know including myself has been mistaken for coming from another country... but in europe you cant tell where people are from because they look so different (there is nothing typical for any country), in asia you cant tell where they are from because they look the same... for instance, i know a girl with one green eye and one blue, brown hair and white skin....she could be from any country in europe really.

I dont agree with you on the culture discussion but thats a whole different thing that you suddenly started talking about..

anyways, im pulling out of this discussion now.


747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 9/16/10

fallingrain wrote:


Elise258 wrote:

I'm Asian and I look like one so my answer would be: I generally look like my race.


LOL true.


Indeed.
561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / south-east asia
Offline
Posted 9/17/10
i'm pure asian but often ppl ask me if i'm a frm a foreign country mainly cuz of my accent nd some of my features................!!!!! they assume maybe i've grown up in britain but that's not the case..... ......!!! i really enjoy it when ppl say dat.........!!!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.