First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Time Jam: Valerian & Laureline Launches!
74987 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Clan's Village
Offline
Posted 9/24/10
Lol xD cool
139283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Training To Becom...
Offline
Posted 9/24/10

I might take a look at this.
67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 9/24/10
All you "French / Japanese.. who knew?" types obviously don't know much.

the French 'Bande Designe' and Japanese Manga traditions have not only been similar but there has long been cross fertilization. For the same reason, Anime has been bigger and arrived sooner in France and french speaking nations because it didn't have to cross that 'It's kid's stuff' barrier that has long been the North American paradigm.

The french were printing 'graphic novels' long before the idea became trendy in the north american comic industry.

some titles from the French:

Valerian and Laureline ( I actually think I have one volume of that somewhere in my collection)
The Adventures of Tintin ( stories about a 'boy adventurer' who get's involved in indiania Jones-esque adventures all over the world)
Asterix and Obelix ( Cartoon series about a pair of Gauls who along with their home village continue to hold Julius Ceaser's Empire at bay. Thanks primarily to a magic potion created by the town's druid. A silly series where people get beat up... repeatedly but no one dies.)
Bob Morane (60's 70's spy action series.)
XIII "thirteen" ( a more cerberal spy thriller with an amnesiac main character who is trying to figure out why he has mad skills a tattoo (xiii) on his body and whole bunch of people trying to kill him)

Those represent the very tiny few that I actually followed.

It's worth noting that Long before anyone in the english speaking world was aware of Captain Harlock.
He was cruising the french spaceways as "Albatar le Corsair d'Espace"

so... uh yeah.

Really a french connection shouldn't be a shock.
27044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / F
Offline
Posted 9/24/10
French-Japanese productions have been happening for quite a while now. There's Ulysses 31 made in 1981 and Misterious Cities of Gold in 1983, for example.

As for this series... just when something interesting comes up, it's region locked. Figures.
64557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Utah
Offline
Posted 9/24/10
At first I thought it said Toe Jam, as in Toejam & Earl... I was wrong.

pass....

-moose
Kjelke 
52259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 9/24/10
Yay! for more catalogue titles.

YAWN! for lack of availability
blue-y 
24937 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / under the same sky
Offline
Posted 9/25/10
Not available
44229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The Garden of Ama...
Offline
Posted 9/25/10

vulcanx wrote:


wolfsaiga wrote:


vulcanx wrote:

a French-Japanese title I didnt even know something like that existed


have you ever heard of code lyoko. somewhat same basis.


Lol at first I had no clue what you was talking about until I googled it. I've never watched it but I've seen bits of it flipping through the stations.


Also, haven't you ever seen Oban Star Racers? It's a French-Japanese title, produced by "Sav! The World".
It's a good series.

This looks like it could be a good SciFi, but the CGI is hideous!
1019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Toei-lessland
Offline
Posted 9/25/10
This is a series produced by European production companies. The dub was done entirely by a British company. The English-language version series has never been broadcast in the UK since its completion. Now the series makes it formal English-language debut in a form restricted to North America.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the essense of the World Wide Web's failure. I'll grab the rips once they're out there instead.
65103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 9/25/10

Gounut wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the essense of the World Wide Web's failure. I'll grab the rips once they're out there instead.


Yup, an anime becomes available to some people that would never have been available without the world wide web.

The real failure is the failure of imagination of whomever owns the rights outside the US. But rather than working out who that is and challenge them to grant permission, people will just whinge in a Crunchyroll forum.
1019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Toei-lessland
Offline
Posted 9/25/10

agila61 wrote:The real failure is the failure of imagination of whomever owns the rights outside the US. But rather than working out who that is and challenge them to grant permission, people will just whinge in a Crunchyroll forum.


Yes, because it's not too much to hope for Crunchyroll themselves to have possibly looked into worldwide streaming rights for a relatively obscure series as this.

Who knows, if like you I too lived in the US I might also be more understanding about the legalities of worldwide streaming limitations, even when considering most desirable examples are (coincidentally?) always available in the US. As it is I'm proud to exercise my right to add another voice to the ongoing chorus of complaints on Crunchyroll's continued short-sightedness with regard to not obtaining worldwide streaming rights.
67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 9/25/10 , edited 9/25/10

agila61 wrote:


Gounut wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the essense of the World Wide Web's failure. I'll grab the rips once they're out there instead.


Yup, an anime becomes available to some people that would never have been available without the world wide web.

The real failure is the failure of imagination of whomever owns the rights outside the US. But rather than working out who that is and challenge them to grant permission, people will just whinge in a Crunchyroll forum.


Nope they'll just watch illegally and then the copyright holders and importers will be whining that they aren't making enough money to stay in business anymore.

This is one place where I don't have a lot of sympathy for the people who complain about illegal streaming and downloading. Here you've got a venue where people are willing to pay for their anime. But you can't get your greed and your entitlements sorted out to deliver something people have already paid for.

If you get your act together I'll be glad to watch it here. IF I can't watch here and happen to want to watch. I'll find a way to do so. So why wouldn't you adopt the option where I pay you for watching?


65103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 9/25/10 , edited 9/25/10

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

This is one place where I don't have a lot of sympathy for the people who complain about illegal streaming and downloading. Here you've got a venue where people are willing to pay for their anime. But you can't get your greed and your entitlements sorted out to deliver something people have already paid for.


I was not addressing the content of the complaint, I was addressing who people address the complaint to.

People complain on Crunchy forums as if Crunchy deliberately restricted the regions, when we know full well that Crunchy would rather have, and has been the only streaming site consistently working for, as few region restrictions as possible.

So the question is: is the problem that the US rights holder did decide to upload the stream to Crunchyroll, or is the problem that the rights holders outside the US did not give permission to allow that stream wider distribution.

IOW, it normally reads as if when someone says:

So why wouldn't you adopt the option where I pay you for watching
... that "you" in the sentence is Crunchyroll, when obviously its not.
67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 9/25/10

agila61 wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

This is one place where I don't have a lot of sympathy for the people who complain about illegal streaming and downloading. Here you've got a venue where people are willing to pay for their anime. But you can't get your greed and your entitlements sorted out to deliver something people have already paid for.


I was not addressing the content of the complaint, I was addressing who people address the complaint to.

People complain on Crunchy forums as if Crunchy deliberately restricted the regions, when we know full well that Crunchy would rather have, and has been the only streaming site consistently working for, as few region restrictions as possible.

So the question is: is the problem that the US rights holder did decide to upload the stream to Crunchyroll, or is the problem that the rights holders outside the US did not give permission to allow that stream wider distribution.


Is this particular circumstance I don't really care since I'm, at best, mildly curious about the show.

In the more general case, I just see it as nearsightedness and self-defeat on the part of copyright holders. Probably inspired by desperate greed.

I will buy my manga and anime. I made a point of securing a premium membership because I WANT to support the people who actually create this stuff.

but i don't feel sorry for them when they get burned by their own lack of vision. If they really want to illegal downloading and streaming, they should strive to support legal sites like crunchy roll. they should put economic pressure on the big video rental companies (like blockbuster) to carry meaningful collections of anime titles and episodes if they're going to claim to carry anime at all. They need to make it easy for people to do things legally because it's too damn easy to do it the illegal way.

I'm sure the response of the moderately honest person when they hit a barrier in their efforts to give money to watch anime, is to say "fuck it, I guess I'll download."

so when a creator or right(s) holder(s) can't get their act together (presumably because they can't play nice with each other) I have little sympathy for their consequential 'loss' of revenue.

If it's not here, and I can't find it at the video store. Then you're not trying to sell it to me anyway. You didn't 'lose' any profits off of me.

67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 9/25/10

agila61 wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

This is one place where I don't have a lot of sympathy for the people who complain about illegal streaming and downloading. Here you've got a venue where people are willing to pay for their anime. But you can't get your greed and your entitlements sorted out to deliver something people have already paid for.


I was not addressing the content of the complaint, I was addressing who people address the complaint to.

People complain on Crunchy forums as if Crunchy deliberately restricted the regions, when we know full well that Crunchy would rather have, and has been the only streaming site consistently working for, as few region restrictions as possible.

So the question is: is the problem that the US rights holder did decide to upload the stream to Crunchyroll, or is the problem that the rights holders outside the US did not give permission to allow that stream wider distribution.

IOW, it normally reads as if when someone says:

So why wouldn't you adopt the option where I pay you for watching
... that "you" in the sentence is Crunchyroll, when obviously its not.


No, sloppy english on my part. The 'you' is just a retorical 'you' directed at whomever is at the heart of this restriction.
I pay crunchy roll so that 'you' get's paid whatever crunchy pays for it's acquisitions.


First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.