First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Socialism
65911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / F / Atlanta GA
Offline
Posted 10/6/10
No I understand what he means. He has done this in other post.
Posted 10/6/10

QuasimodoSunday wrote:


DomFortress wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:



Laissez faire is the greatest economic system in the world, it promotes economic growth, creates jobs and opportunity, and protects property rights, renders all other economic systems obsolete.

Last I checked

Economic growth ~ good thing
Jobs ~ good thing
Property rights ~ good thing
You don't want regulation that upholds private practices to be responsible for their actions? OK:

QuasimodoSunday wrote:


Can you at least explain to him why you think Laissez faire is not a good idea instead of calling him names?
But he's pretty much just asking for this. Which is exactly what the socialistic society doesn't want.


If you look at some of Allhailodin's more rational comments he have mentioned that corporate corruption should be dealt with and that businesses should be held accountable. He also believe that anti-discrimination laws are a perfect valid form of regulation. He just believes that over-regulation is not necessary. But then again he has contradicted himself several times.

Besides, I agree that businesses and salesmen should be punished for their crimes like common criminals who burgle or rob other people. But that doesn't mean that we have to switch to a socialistic society to accomplish that either.
And the liberalism ideal of no government regulation over the economic sphere, aka the ideology of Laissez faire meaning "let it be" in French, will contradict exactly just those requirements of his.

Also, the socialist argument here is that it's the corporations who're monopolizing the political, cultural, and the personal spheres by them controlling the majority of the nation's wealth. It's they who lobbied government regulations that only protect themselves from their immoral yet legal practices, who funded their own mass medias as impersonal cultural agents of social control, and finally manipulated humanity away from individual flourishing with privatized institutionalization of all spheres.
65911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / F / Atlanta GA
Offline
Posted 10/9/10
Socialism is for the week of sprite and lack effort they want to stay with Mommy. Poor are poor because they want to be poor.
Posted 10/9/10

tarakelly wrote:

Socialism is for the week of sprite and lack effort they want to stay with Mommy. Poor are poor because they want to be poor.
That's why bullies hate socialism.
65911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / F / Atlanta GA
Offline
Posted 10/9/10
No just hard working self reliant people do.
Posted 10/9/10

tarakelly wrote:

No just hard working self reliant people do.
Because they're nothing like you Army dropout, when you had to rely on socialist policy to secure a job.
2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 10/10/10

amersfoort wrote:

What is Socialism in your eyes?
What makes someone or something a socialist/socialism?

What is your opinion on socialism?

Lately I've seen alot of people (also politicians) who used the word socialism like it was something evil, something inferior.
While in my History classes I learned that the socialist movements where the ones who improved the lifes of many many factury workers, infact they became great political partys because so many supported them and what they did.
When did this become bad?
When did it become bad to take care of your fellow human being?


Socialism is the principle by which there is public and common ownership of the means of production and fairer distribution of land.
Karl Marx and several other famous historical personage influential to the Labour/Union movement world wide were Socialist.

It is a political and economic theory that is as valid as other political and economic theories, and, therefore, deserve the same amount of consideration and research as all other Political and Economic theory, instead of as a by-word for 'All that is evil in this world and all that I disagree with'.

But, note, I hold the same opinion of Feudalism and Absolutism as well. A theory, no matter how 'wrong' you think it is, nor how much you disagree with, should still be considered.
40028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33
Offline
Posted 10/17/10 , edited 10/17/10
Socialism is no more "evil" than any other form of government. Man is the flaw in all governments. Too often people label each other and themselves to one side. It's only when a government swings too far right or left that problems arise. If people thought of each other as humans instead of right or left the entire world would be a better place. I guess what I'm trying to say is that no matter what type of government you have it's only as good as the people in charge.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 10/18/10 , edited 10/18/10
A song I heard once:

Refrain:
o/` Whoopee-Tye Ai - ayyy git a long little dogies.
We do the ridin' and he get's the roses
Woopee Tye ai - ay in the Dust and Rain
While the Boss stays at home with the women
yippee Tye Ayyy for the Union. o/`

1: o/~ Now boys when I first rode for J. H. Mclean, driving 'em north on a night like tonight.
The sunset had reddened the tops of the rockies, when a stranger he rode into sight.
His suit coat was grey from the dust and the sun
and he looked like a school teacher out on the bum
That was the evening I met Oscar Nelson, The Wobbly who taught me this song: o/`

(refrain)

2:o/` "Now Oscar, " I said, "you don't look like a cowboy, but you talk like a man who knows J. H. Mclean"
He said "No I don't, but boys I don't need to, 'Cause the bosses they're all just the same"
"It's your labour boys, labour they're stealing away"
"Now don't sell your labour for a dollar a day"
"The boss when he's old, he's got a ranch and family, a cowboy's got his bedroll and saddle" o/`

(refrain)

3: o/` Well I've roped and I've wrangled and I've rode on a string, but he's the only bo-socialist I've ever seen.
They're Reds and they're Wobblies and everything damn thing, but I never seen no union cowboy.
No there ain't been a union and I ain't surprised
And I be a cowpuncher 'till I'm too old to ride
Then I'll work the chuck wagon if the Boss keep's me on, but I still sing the dogies this song o/`

o/` Whoopee-Tye Ai - ayyy git a long little dogies.
We do the ridin' and he get's the roses
Woopee Tye ai - ay in the Dust and Rain
While the Boss stays at home with the women
yippee Tye Ayyy for the Union. o/`

( Just thought I'd share because it's a rare little song and It's 3 am where I am)



404 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 10/18/10 , edited 10/18/10
"Socialists argue that socialism would allow for wealth to be distributed based on how much one contributes to society, as opposed to how much capital one holds." (1.1 Critique of capitalism)
-- Interesting.

So, socialism is an ideology that emerged in the 19. century. It's one of the three biggest ideologies from that time. The thing with socialism is, that it has never ever been properly defined (back in the days there were more than 260 definitions for this single term, nowadays there are certainly a lot more) and thus comprises a lot of aspects from various ideological variants and is as a matter of fact still editable, and being argued over. And that's why you barely ever hear an educated person talk just about socialism, but rather you hear them add an other term to it to clarify the context, e.g. proletarian socialism, scientific socialism, democratic socialism, Christian socialism, Utopian socialism. Basically, one of your questions is too broad to be properly answered. And anyway, any politician criticising socialism without expanding on what kind of socialism he's referring to has no clue about what he's talking, because as a matter of fact anyone whinging about socialism as such is shooting in his own foot as I doubt that any of them never profited from things that contain a socialistic core.
As for, what are the criteria to be referred to as socialist...now now, lets look into that one.
If you ever heard France's national motto (Liberté, égalité, fraternité) then you'd think that this can't sound any more socialistic, now could it? Well, that's, in my humble opinion, the basic mantra to abide by for anyone who dares to classify himself as a socialist, and that even though the definitions for socialism vary immensely and is as broad as can get -- but every ideology has a few founding stones that are not omittable.
So if you're the type who likes to think of himself as a social being that believes in liberty, brotherhood and equality, then you've already done a big step into the socialistic direction.

To answer the two last questions, it became bad the moment people who already were in possession of a nice capital felt threatened by this movement as this bears the meaning that they'd lose their high status and become just like anybody else, i.e. equal. And since one of the most important things in this world that sets some people apart from others is money you won't have to ponder long to find out that that's the one thing that most people don't want to lose, nor share. It's against our nature, I guess.

As for my personal stance on this matter, I think that the founding principles of socialism have a good core, and that there are things which some societies should implement, but I'm not sure if it's possible to have a 100% socialistic society, but using some elements of it certainly won't hurt if I look at Switzerland, the Netherlands, etc.





____________

Used sources:

WIKIPEDIA, Socialism, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socialism>
6268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 10/22/10


So a gouverment changing some rules about retirment regulations with ofcourse strikes and protests as a result is a example of socialism, there are no strikes in the USA?

Sorry Odin, but every post you made has failed to give a reasonable argument towards me, in my eyes ofcourse.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 10/22/10 , edited 10/22/10

amersfoort wrote:



So a gouverment changing some rules about retirment regulations with ofcourse strikes and protests as a result is a example of socialism, there are no strikes in the USA?

Sorry Odin, but every post you made has failed to give a reasonable argument towards me, in my eyes ofcourse.


A. Because it kills economic freedom.
B. It takes away private property rights
C. Means high taxes on everybody
D. It destroys businesses. Thus destroying jobs in the process
E. It creates a dependence on the government for everything, for jobs, for income, for food, for water for housing. People become nothing more than 120 pounds blocks of coal without their government. Its the death of self reliance.
F. Prevents capital accumulation.

A few years ago before those riots in France, in the same country of France, those same blocks of human coal took to the streets and rioted because they demanded that the government provide them with guaranteed jobs for life. Thats what you get with socialism.
Posted 10/23/10 , edited 10/23/10
In Ideology, I am Socialist.

As a realist, I am a Moderate.

At our point in human history, Socialism does not work, the human flaws such as Greed, Indifference, Apathy, and Hate, make it impossible to create a true Socialism. Even today, all Socialist nations are merely government that have sworn allegiance to the Socialist ideology, but in practice, they are all hypocrites as they have governments and usually an "elite" class ruling the people.

Now I strongly dislike Capitalism as it stands. I firmly support a moderate approach to a 'Mixed Economy', which is what we have now in the US. I do not support Free trade without restrictions, because without them, Greed is promoted, and nothing is equal.

In my book. Equality should define freedom before opportunity steps up to the plate. Opportunity that forgets equality is not freedom.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 10/23/10 , edited 10/23/10

varnlestoff wrote:

In Ideology, I am Socialist.

As a realist, I am a Moderate.

At our point in human history, Socialism does not work, the human flaws such as Greed, Indifference, Apathy, and Hate, make it impossible to create a true Socialism. Even today, all Socialist nations are merely government that have sworn allegiance to the Socialist ideology, but in practice, they are all hypocrites as they have governments and usually an "elite" class ruling the people.

Now I strongly dislike Capitalism as it stands. I firmly support a moderate approach to a 'Mixed Economy', which is what we have now in the US. I do not support Free trade without restrictions, because without them, Greed is promoted, and nothing is equal.

In my book. Equality should define freedom before opportunity steps up to the plate. Opportunity that forgets equality is not freedom.


So you hate private property rights, economic freedom, business, employment and jobs ?
Posted 10/23/10

Allhailodin wrote:



So you hate private property rights, economic freedom, business, employment and jobs ?
So did the Republicans, and your point is?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.