First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Internet Censorship Law
Posted 9/29/10

mystic17 wrote:

I hate this crap. It's annoying me extremely that certain things on Youtube are blocked. Getting my hopes up like that.
I'm for protecting it copyright material, but dang it blocking sites from me is too much. .__.


that's because people care more about making profit than protecting consumer rights
Posted 9/29/10

Lemonii wrote:

I hope they make everything pay per view instead of censorship, capitalism > communism on this for sure


capitalism is sadly the problem in the 1st place. They larger corporations take it to such extremes to protect their "intellectual property" that they don't care about about the consumers that buy there products in the 1st place and this is relevant because most copy righted materials
are viewed online and it's getting down to the point where even uploading a pic is illegal
47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 9/29/10 , edited 9/29/10
Interesting

Anyway pardon me for my ignorance, but Im still trying to figure out what this bill will do. Is it just talking about Copyright Laws and Piracy?
Does that mean only stuff like Youtube would get .......um.....banned or something? (Not sure what the penalty is but regardless of what it is, its scary to me). Is it going to be an All or Nothing attack on Copyright and Piracy stuff? Like will Limewire (Music/video downloading program) be gone?

And what about Facebook? At the moment Im trying to think what Facebook has done that could warrant Piracy. Does it mean the music it allows you to put up and stuff like that?

I guess Im having trouble debating if this is one of those HUGE things that I should be very concerned about it.....or if Im overthinking this.

And about the whole people who lose money due to Piracy. This might be another ignorant statement but I would imagine anyone who is even able to have their stuff Pirated is already wealthy enough to even have a minor setback like that(This statement was aimed at Musicians). But in case of anime, then I think it actually has beneficial as well as the negatives. I mean I bet a bunch of people wouldnt even buy a lot of anime if they didnt know what is was about. And Piracy and uploading to other sites helps that cause.

But in conclusion, is this something REALLY BIG? Is it likely it will be passed? Should I be enjoying anime that I like to fullest now in fear of this law being passed? Not sure what to do
53663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/29/10

CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:

capitalism is sadly the problem in the 1st place. They larger corporations take it to such extremes to protect their "intellectual property" that they don't care about about the consumers that buy there products in the 1st place and this is relevant because most copy righted materials
are viewed online and it's getting down to the point where even uploading a pic is illegal


Which is why controlling who can view it by price is a win win for both parties, whereas censorship will only broaden the divide.
Or what I like to call the birth of cyber drugs
75755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Maryland
Offline
Posted 9/29/10
if this bill does pass it will create a uproar and yes people will question why is the first amendment. the reason in this passing will be the cause of #1 reason MONEY. #2 angry mothers catching little kids watching thing they shouldn't i wonder where they learned this from hmmm just plain old bad parenting. #3 buy games/show that shows people killing/harming one another wow why do you want to buy this for your kid and you getting mad for them playing it, the reason is simple people don't like getting blamed so they play the blame game.
85322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Colorado, USA
Offline
Posted 9/29/10
I doubt it will get passed, because it and many similar proposals are a very blatant violation of the First Amendment. Furthermore, if passed, YouTube wouldn't get added to this list, because it is a tool for even the government. At worst, they'd get more legal threats causing them to tighten up censorship ... which is indeed still a bad scenario.

The thing I hate most about these types of bills is usually not what they themselves do, but what they can lead to. Say you're presently allowed to have 5 of an item. Somebody suggests having only 1, but everyone agrees that's absurd. If someones suggests 4, they'll consider it. But if 4 is agreed upon, now 3 is close and may be cosidered. Soon 1 may become reality after all.

Laws that tighten restrictions pave the way for further intrusions. A proposal as simple as this can lead to a true dystopia. And due to international relationships, what happens in one nation may affect politicians in another nation. I still worry about a recent law in the UK that basically gave ISPs limited permission to monitor and act upon your traffic. That already passed if I'm not mistaken, which is definitely encroaching on rights.


Intellectual property is an important thing, but it has long since gone in the wrong direction, becoming of the same horrific and brutal nature of when wars were fought with one's own hands.
57990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Los Angeles, Cali...
Online
Posted 9/29/10


Laws that tighten restrictions pave the way for further intrusions. A proposal as simple as this can lead to a true dystopia. And due to international relationships, what happens in one nation may affect politicians in another nation. I still worry about a recent law in the UK that basically gave ISPs limited permission to monitor and act upon your traffic. That already passed if I'm not mistaken, which is definitely encroaching on rights.


I think that law is currently implemented. actually, not only in the UK, like i said in my other post, China is porn-free website (at least that's in the papers).



I doubt it will get passed, because it and many similar proposals are a very blatant violation of the First Amendment. Furthermore, if passed, YouTube wouldn't get added to this list, because it is a tool for even the government. At worst, they'd get more legal threats causing them to tighten up censorship ... which is indeed still a bad scenario.


Although I agree that this is a similar to other gazillions of similar proposals that blatantly violate the first amendment, I think this bill is quite unique in a sense that it's targeting specifically the distribution, sales or anything related to copyright infringement in the internet.
Don't quote me on that because I'm not sure.


#1 reason MONEY.

Indeed. In fact, the whole Hollywood is backing up this bill because they're the one who's getting hit badly.
I'm not sure about the Anime industry but the Manga industry is also suffering as well. Hopefully the Anime industry doesn't take anymore steps, I mean the status quo is in equilibrium in my opinion but things like this might break that status quo.


it's getting down to the point where even uploading a pic is illegal

I believe manga scans is the best example for that.
Posted 9/29/10

Lemonii wrote:


CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:

capitalism is sadly the problem in the 1st place. They larger corporations take it to such extremes to protect their "intellectual property" that they don't care about about the consumers that buy there products in the 1st place and this is relevant because most copy righted materials
are viewed online and it's getting down to the point where even uploading a pic is illegal


Which is why controlling who can view it by price is a win win for both parties, whereas censorship will only broaden the divide.
Or what I like to call the birth of cyber drugs


charging money to a view a pic like this? i hate to say this but no just no, that's not something I am ever going to do I would gladly pay for another website to stream movies in high quailty with out ads like i do here and so forth but paying to look a pic from game or anime is not something i will ever do, that is just plain greed. like charging for pics on xbox live or ps3 to change your avatar >_>
Posted 9/29/10

karlojeda wrote:



Laws that tighten restrictions pave the way for further intrusions. A proposal as simple as this can lead to a true dystopia. And due to international relationships, what happens in one nation may affect politicians in another nation. I still worry about a recent law in the UK that basically gave ISPs limited permission to monitor and act upon your traffic. That already passed if I'm not mistaken, which is definitely encroaching on rights.


I think that law is currently implemented. actually, not only in the UK, like i said in my other post, China is porn-free website (at least that's in the papers).



I doubt it will get passed, because it and many similar proposals are a very blatant violation of the First Amendment. Furthermore, if passed, YouTube wouldn't get added to this list, because it is a tool for even the government. At worst, they'd get more legal threats causing them to tighten up censorship ... which is indeed still a bad scenario.


Although I agree that this is a similar to other gazillions of similar proposals that blatantly violate the first amendment, I think this bill is quite unique in a sense that it's targeting specifically the distribution, sales or anything related to copyright infringement in the internet.
Don't quote me on that because I'm not sure.


#1 reason MONEY.

Indeed. In fact, the whole Hollywood is backing up this bill because they're the one who's getting hit badly.
I'm not sure about the Anime industry but the Manga industry is also suffering as well. Hopefully the Anime industry doesn't take anymore steps, I mean the status quo is in equilibrium in my opinion but things like this might break that status quo.


it's getting down to the point where even uploading a pic is illegal

I believe manga scans is the best example for that.


China does have porn they just publish and re-edit doujins from japan lol, on manga scans i was referring to simple game screen caps or pics that I have in my profile.
53663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/29/10

CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:
charging money to a view a pic like this? i hate to say this but no just no, that's not something I am ever going to do I would gladly pay for another website to stream movies in high quailty with out ads like i do here and so forth but paying to look a pic from game or anime is not something i will ever do, that is just plain greed. like charging for pics on xbox live or ps3 to change your avatar >_>


I know what you mean and I wouldn't want to pay for small pics individually/separately, but how about a package deal of the art you want to use/view being included with a bigger product or a bundle of said artworks.
If you just d-load them, it's still free for you, but it makes the labour all the more worthless...

I think if we were to pay for more details, production costs would go down, so if a law as such were to be passed, there also needs be one in place to protect the consumer from the high, or raising of, prices.
Gextiv 
55383 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 9/29/10 , edited 9/29/10
F**k America. I'll move to Japan if this passes.
Posted 9/29/10
I dont think the people of america would let such a thing to happen
45256 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 9/29/10

CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:


Lemonii wrote:


CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:

capitalism is sadly the problem in the 1st place. They larger corporations take it to such extremes to protect their "intellectual property" that they don't care about about the consumers that buy there products in the 1st place and this is relevant because most copy righted materials
are viewed online and it's getting down to the point where even uploading a pic is illegal


Which is why controlling who can view it by price is a win win for both parties, whereas censorship will only broaden the divide.
Or what I like to call the birth of cyber drugs


charging money to a view a pic like this? i hate to say this but no just no, that's not something I am ever going to do I would gladly pay for another website to stream movies in high quailty with out ads like i do here and so forth but paying to look a pic from game or anime is not something i will ever do, that is just plain greed. like charging for pics on xbox live or ps3 to change your avatar >_>


Selling avatars on the game consoles, as you mentioned, is already successful, with the $0.49 and $0.99 price tags per avatar. People will pay for stuff if it is out there.

I've heard of desktop backgrounds for sale as well.

Make sure if you want to have fun you have money.
45256 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 9/29/10 , edited 9/29/10
uh oh...i made a copy of the pic by doing that.
366 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 9/29/10

Allhailodin wrote:

This is why our forefathers gave us guns ~ To defend our freedoms with our own hands.


They are trying to take that from us too
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.