First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Bible Debate
5710 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 11/28/07

SeraphAlford wrote:


Stratify wrote:

Post arguments and responses to those arguments here.
Intelligent debates only please.
Please refer to what argument you're debating about.
No flaming.

Argument 1: The Genesis states that the Universe was created in 7 days. The 6th day was when man was created. Where is the room for the dinosaurs?

Argument 2: After Cain slays Abel, he goes and chooses to build a "city". Not a hut, not a village or a town, but a city. The Genesis only mentions that Adam, Cain, and Eve are the only ones alive at this period. Where did Cain's wife come from?

Argument 3: The Genesis goes about and explains how in just a few generations, they discovered farming, ironsmithing, and bronzesmithing. Doesn't this counter a lot of the historic evidence? Doesn't history (scientific) assert it took a few thousand years before the people learned how to farm, and even longer to learn smithing?


Okay, for this thing, a lot of what I say is opinion, not fact, so bare with me.

1.
The bible does not necessarily say that the world was created in 7 days as in 7 twenty four hour periods. In the bible, it say, “A thousand years is but a day to god.” According to the Christian belief, God is above time; therefore, the time period can be, though is not necessarily, A. A sign of poor translation, or B. A metaphor because the bible is packed tight with metaphors.
2. The bible covers a lot of ground, don’t you think? Starting from the dawn of creation to the end of Humanity? It clearly isn’t meant to cover every detail. (Hints evolution was left out.) There’s no chance of it being a metaphor or anything along those lines at this point, it simply the bible omitting important details. Again, a sign of poor translation is possible.

Here are some other possibilities:
A) God did make Adam and Eve, sure. However, I’m a Christian who believes in evolution. I believe other Humans were evolving along side Adam and Eve but that they were simply the first ones to evolve. So, there were other Humans, but not Humans in the fullest form.
B) The bible says, “And all of Gods other creations rejoiced,” suggesting that even after he created the Humans we hear so much about, there were others somewhere out there.
C) Adam and Eve had many children that were not listed. According to the bible, people lived for hundreds of years back then, and if you accept that then it’s not hard to accept that there were other children in mass numbers.
3. No, there is no real scientific evidence saying any of that. History is only based off of documents and artifacts you find. Thus, a historic fact is not truly a fact at all, but rather a probability based on strong evidence. That’s an A. A B would be something along the lines of: “There was a giant flood and civilization was ruined, so…”

All this being said: God is a white male and everyone whose not like God is from the devil! J/K, clearly, no flaming.




i TOTALLY like your thinking. looks like i dont need to explain further from here, i can... but... its long. and its related to Lamas from Tibet. lolz.
7281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Mars
Offline
Posted 11/28/07
How about chinese......where did we appear on the book??? surely now I do not look like adam or eve....Yellow skin, cute anime eyes and etc.....
8622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / here^^
Offline
Posted 11/28/07
1.uhn... I think they were made when the animals were made....
2. uhn...maybe his sister....? i dunoo..
3. uhn... i dont know.. but I believe the Bible than historical books...uhn,,,it confuses me too....
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 11/28/07

SeraphAlford wrote:

All this being said: God is a white male and everyone whose not like God is from the devil!



I'll be damned, Seraph actually said something I agree with.

I'd say Genesis (the whole thing, not just the creation fable) is one of the major reasons I don't beleive the bible should be taken literally.
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/28/07
^Yeah, you like that?

Anyway, I think some parts of the bible are literal, and some are not.

@Saint: Yes, well, I think before I speak...post...type! @_@ or do I?
27431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Hayward, CA - OR...
Offline
Posted 11/28/07

Eros wrote:

1. the standard (educated, that is, lot of crackpot responses here) response is that the bible is a book that shows man how to be saved, not the state of the world. Its obvious the bible can't be counted on for the facts, pi=3, etc. So, can it show us how to be saved... There are more perplexing details about the creation story anyway, after all there are two of them after all in the same book.




Wow, I'm quoting something from way back in the day here, but...I don't really think the bible can show man how to be saved if it can't corrects facts and an accurate history of man up to the time of its finalized completion.
610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/29/07
Here's a pretty interesting video. There r 3 parts to it, where the 1st part touches on this subject. Keep an open mind while watching it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5547481422995115331
Posted 11/29/07
Has anyone actually read the Bible? It's really interesting, but I don't think half that stuff happened, but every story is a lesson to be learnt, to try and make us all good people. Y'know, like sharing, caring, dont-kill-anyone...that sort of thing. It's quite cool if you ask me.
Posted 11/29/07
I, being one who reads the Bible, can say that the stories in that book are not all the times weird but very cool. Of course there are those stories that make me raise an eyebrow, like when Noah was raped by his son, or when Lot's two daughters got him drunk to have sex with him, those kind of stories are stories that you wouldn't expect to be in there, ya'll know what I mean? The cool stories most oftenly involve Jesus, who is the greatest escape artist of all time! I mean, the first thing you read Jesus is teaching, then some of the guys that disagreed with what he said tried to kill and the next thing ya know it says that he slipped away or in my own translation escaped before they were able to touch him or see where he went. There was a reason for this though, Jesus would probably say if ya asked him that it was not his time at that moment, his time was when he died on the cross for the World's sin. When ya think it, about most people believe that the people that carried out the crucifxion killed him, which is not true, while on the cross he layed it down by saying "father into your hand I give you my spirit"-(paraphrased). Which in my book is the greatest story of them all, because he died for those he loved. It was the love the humanity that kept him on the cross, Jesus was pushing towards the mark, and the mark was beyond the cross and the person(s) who was standing there was ya'll and me!
219 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/29/07
The bible is not intresting in mine opinion, iv read all the 5 books of Moses (torah) and thats it, the new testament is not intresting, because i dont like to read the words of Paulus (anti christ).

And the Quraan is the most best book.
761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 12/21/07
for the second argument
cain took one of his sisters. At that time it was ok to marry siblings and have multiple wives. later on God changed the law and this stopped. So now we aren't supposed to marry our sisters or have more than one spouse.
1140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37
Offline
Posted 1/7/08 , edited 4/18/08
I think all three of your argument address basically the same issue

The first the word "days" can be expressing 7 days to God only, thus in actual it could have been billions of years that passed (on Earth, for humans).

The second: not ever chracters, or detail is recorded in the Bible, God only reviews what is important for us to know, in order to understand his words.

The third: again, The way time is expressed, or even through translation can be misleading.. most serious bible scholars read multiple translated versions of the bible.
Posted 1/7/08 , edited 4/18/08

Stratify wrote:

Post arguments and responses to those arguments here.
Intelligent debates only please.
Please refer to what argument you're debating about.
No flaming.

Argument 1: The Genesis states that the Universe was created in 7 days. The 6th day was when man was created. Where is the room for the dinosaurs?

Argument 2: After Cain slays Abel, he goes and chooses to build a "city". Not a hut, not a village or a town, but a city. The Genesis only mentions that Adam, Cain, and Eve are the only ones alive at this period. Where did Cain's wife come from?

Argument 3: The Genesis goes about and explains how in just a few generations, they discovered farming, ironsmithing, and bronzesmithing. Doesn't this counter a lot of the historic evidence? Doesn't history (scientific) assert it took a few thousand years before the people learned how to farm, and even longer to learn smithing?


argument 2: cain slept with eve, or maybe they had gay sex.. who knows.

argument 3: bible pwned
Posted 1/7/08 , edited 4/18/08
1. If you examine the meaning of 'day' in Hebrew you will find it is a measure of an indefinite amount of time. A good example would be what we consider a 'work day', which is only 8 hours of our "day" and not the whole 24. Therefore, any of those days mentioned in the Bible are not necessarily 24 hours, nor are those 'days' necessarily congruent.

2. This one is MY personal belief. I believe God created men and then decided that he wanted a sect of men to be specifically unto him (ie. the Hebrews) and therefore created Adam and Eve to make a people who are specifically unto him and that is why Cain was able to find a wife.

3. First of all Biblically speaking, 'death' entered the world of man through sin. That is why we now die in our sin, and our iniquity is compounded from generation through generation (without the grace of God through Christ). And so Biblically speaking men lived longer in those days as sin was less compounded than it is now. Which is why in a few generations men had known blacksmithing. Consider how long Adam lived, I think it was over 900 years and so also his sons lived something to that age. And therefore in a few generations men had these things.
189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Philadelphia
Offline
Posted 1/8/08 , edited 4/18/08

vaghpia wrote:

The bible isn't a walk in sesame street. Why would you share your treasure with those who doesn't treasure it with you? Isn't it a wonder why certain things are kept in parables. Only those who seek will find.



I can't say it any better. Yes! You can't simply take the bible on the surface, you got to look it as a whole. Never take it out of content. Then you destroy it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.