First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Saki is now available in Asia
67854 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 10/3/10

elevul wrote:

I am angry because crunchyroll is an AMAZING (just thing of the possibility to watch anime in mobility, using a smartphone or an iPad) service, in concept, but it's ruined by a few problems which completely ruin it, at least for people outside of the USA.

To put it simply, I am not criticizing Crunchyroll because I hate it, but because I LOVE it, and I want to use it at its fullest, but that is not permitted to me by the service itself.


Looking long term, the fact that Crunchryoll keeps making progress on how many anime it streams to how many different countries, including making progress on how many anime it can stream Europe-wide, means that Crunchyroll is making progress toward what you would like to see.

If you compare what it is compared to what you wished it were, the progress may not be massive, and sure, you'd like to see faster progress: but its better than no progress at all!

And that is why Saki getting extended to Asia is good news for you. If means they are keeping on pushing even after the initial deal is signed, and they have already succeeded.

Your complaint was like if they expand one anime in Asia, that makes it less likely that Crunchyroll can expand its streaming in Europe.

But that is backwards. Adding countries to streams does not cost money. And there may be an up-front cost to each series, but extra streams pay for themselves. The more views that Crunchyroll has outside of North America, the easier it will be to convince anime production committees to stream to broad areas outside of North America. And that is why everyone who wants broader streaming to more parts of the world wins when any new country is added to any anime.
The Wise Wizard
76415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/3/10

elevul wrote:

P.S: Sorry for the crappy english. I am focusing too much on japanese and I'm starting to forget italian and english.

Trust me, you're doing a better job than some people that have English as their native language.


Back on topic, I still wish CR would at least experiment with getting a title or two that is unavailable to the U.S. and Canada, but is still open for most other countries. Even if this did not balance out the equation numerically, it would help.

I can only assume CR doesn't do this because they feel it would not be financially viable, or because it would no doubt generate a firestorm of complaints from those in the U.S. (despite the fact they could no doubt view it legally elsewhere and/or rent the DVD).

690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Philippines
Offline
Posted 10/6/10

TheAncientOne wrote:


elevul wrote:

P.S: Sorry for the crappy english. I am focusing too much on japanese and I'm starting to forget italian and english.

Trust me, you're doing a better job than some people that have English as their native language.


Back on topic, I still wish CR would at least experiment with getting a title or two that is unavailable to the U.S. and Canada, but is still open for most other countries. Even if this did not balance out the equation numerically, it would help.

I can only assume CR doesn't do this because they feel it would not be financially viable, or because it would no doubt generate a firestorm of complaints from those in the U.S. (despite the fact they could no doubt view it legally elsewhere and/or rent the DVD).



Crunchyroll is in U.S., so obviously they cannot do it.

On-Topic: I was surprised. We need more of this. At least I have something to marathon after Asobi ni Ikuyo while waiting for Fortune Arterial.
67854 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 10/6/10

TheAncientOne wrote: Back on topic, I still wish CR would at least experiment with getting a title or two that is unavailable to the U.S. and Canada, but is still open for most other countries. Even if this did not balance out the equation numerically, it would help.
I don't think this will fly ~ for one thing, the ad rates for the free streams in North American are well above the ad-rates in countries like the UK, and in a lot of places there is basically no market at all.

One thing they could try would be to get outside of North American rights for a show that is streaming somewhere else, and cross-stream for Canadian/US members. Now that ANN are getting streams for North America, that would seem a promising place to try, with an agreed deal of what rate that Crunchyroll pays ANN per ad-free episode streamed to a Crunchyroll anime member.

The Wise Wizard
76415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/6/10

agila61 wrote:


TheAncientOne wrote: Back on topic, I still wish CR would at least experiment with getting a title or two that is unavailable to the U.S. and Canada, but is still open for most other countries. Even if this did not balance out the equation numerically, it would help.
I don't think this will fly ~ for one thing, the ad rates for the free streams in North American are well above the ad-rates in countries like the UK, and in a lot of places there is basically no market at all.

I assume when you say "ad rates", you mean the CPM is lower for international markets, not just the total revenue.

I was thinking more of anime for international premium members, since they have the legitimate complaint of not having as much anime available per dollar paid.

Free users, by contrast, are essentially "pay per view", in that they render the payment by viewing the ads. Thus have no room to complain they are not getting their "money's worth" due to a smaller library of titles, as the ads they are required to watch is directly proportional to the number of episodes viewed.

If CR offered additional titles for international premium users only, that would help address the title gap, and while free users might gripe about it, their situation would not differ from what it is now.

67854 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 10/6/10

TheAncientOne wrote:


agila61 wrote:

I assume when you say "ad rates", you mean the CPM is lower for international markets, not just the total revenue.


Yes, revenue per streaming ad is much lower outside of North America and in many markets basically not existent.

If we can assume that there is a royalty, either revenue percentage or a fixed rate per view, then adding a country to the US/Canada on a pure royalty basis will very easily be a net positive, since there do not seem to be any additional fixed costs. There may be some cross-subsidy of free views by subscriber views in some countries with very low streaming ad rates, if they are fixed royalty payment per view, and not even that if they are revenue percentage.

Even if there is a up-front fee to be paid, Crunchyroll would have a reasonable idea of what can be expected from any given country and so what up-front fees for country rights can be afforded.

However, if Crunchyroll is taking a stream outside of North America, then the fixed costs also have to be covered by the revenues outside of North America. And that is harder to do, because the revenue base is much narrower, and because the revenue base is narrower, there is substantially greater risk of losing money on a series. And if Crunchyroll has to either advance royalties or pay an up front fee sufficient to cover subtitling costs, which they have never remarked on but which seems highly likely, that only increases the risk.

The difference with cross-streaming in North America is that the partner site in a cross-stream normally gets a revenue share, so even though the per North American viewer revenue is not substantially, its a revenue stream with a much broader base, and revenue with basically no fixed costs attached, and so the total financial risk is much less. Plus if its already being subtitled for the North American audience, Crunchyroll would be able to participate in a much smaller share of the subtitle costs, substantially cutting the fixed cost and so the risk of losing money on the stream.
67854 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 10/6/10 , edited 10/6/10

elevul wrote:

I am angry because crunchyroll is an AMAZING (just thing of the possibility to watch anime in mobility, using a smartphone or an iPad) service, in concept, but it's ruined by a few problems which completely ruin it, at least for people outside of the USA.

To put it simply, I am not criticizing Crunchyroll because I hate it, but because I LOVE it, and I want to use it at its fullest, but that is not permitted to me by the service itself.
Man, I didn't think that Crunchyroll would prove me right so quickly: Hayate the Combat Butler Season 1 regions expanded! now streaming to all the Americas, Europe, Australia and New Zealand, Africa and maybe (I'm not sure) the Middle East. IOW, it says, "everywhere except Asia and Afghanistan".

That's what I mean. What Crunchy can do is to keep asking the question and keep trying to get the regions expanded. That's the only strategy that leads to progress. And just because they only got Asia added to Saki is not because they only asked for Asia, but because that's what the rights holder was willing to agree to.

As long as they keep pushing and keep asking the question, some of the rights holders will say yes to Europe-wide streaming.

BTW, your English is fine. Anime is supposed to be entertaining, not a school assignment!

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.