First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Fairy Tail Dub
12 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/11
Hi i just joined this site and i must say it's awesome! i just thought i'd give a little intro of myself you can call me JJ.

Back on subject this dub is decent, it seems like in the later episodes they get better they get more in character but as a whole i don't care for it but not all the voices are bad, i'm glad they stopped dubbing it though they ended it at episode 48, the whole thing was nothing but a rush job anyways
22781 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Somewhat in Asia.
Offline
Posted 1/15/11
Some dub animes are better than the subs. That really depends on who dubbed it. Personally, I would find a dub version of the anime, if there is one. I hope one day I can watch an anime that's is made in English ground up. For now, I have to tolerate fansubs and sometimes bad dubs whenever I watch anime.
19704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Northwest
Offline
Posted 1/15/11 , edited 5/26/16
It seems like so many dubs in general "suck" most of them are fine to me, I haven't seen this one yet but of course since you watch the japanese version it's a lot different than what we are used to. Like for me if I watch a dub first then the japanese then the japanese version is the one that sounds weird. thats just me though. I'm curious to see how this one is. The only thing about dubs I don't like it sometimes they censor it when it comes out here the us.
47121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / U.S.
Offline
Posted 1/15/11
Personally i can't stand dubs of japanese anime. In my opinion, the voice actors suck and all they girls try to be moe but really suck at it. If I can't find an anime subbed, I won't watch it at all.
42 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / That one Place
Offline
Posted 6/16/11
It was good at first but yea it got terrible, erza's dub voice sounds like she is trying to do a guy impression (its better in japanese) and other voices are terrible too. After ep 2 i watched it subbed please just watch it subbed or better yet read the manga cus the no blood thing is annoying. Oh yea this is just something that annoys me but Natsu's little power-ups to beat the strongest opponents are getting old. I mean he's cool and everything but it just gets predictable and after all that he doesn't seem to have risen officially in rank in the guild.
42 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / That one Place
Offline
Posted 6/16/11
O yea, one last thing, Natsu's motion sickness is funny, but it can effect the story a little sometimes (when its time to fight) then it annoys me a little especially since he decides that some things arent transportation (Happy). Does this annoy anyone else sometimes?
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 6/19/11
what is wrong with some of you people. dubs compared to subs are uncompareble. dubs are 100% better. that is the truth so accept it. anyway everyone is always complaining for the voice well guess what "its just anime" It wont kill you
2386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Nevereverland
Offline
Posted 6/19/11

Des85 wrote:

All english dubs are horrible.
Though there are some dubs that are good, like norwegian dubs of Pokèmon, norwegian kids playing kids sounds natural so xD


i agree
15746 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / 昼寝の王国
Offline
Posted 6/21/11

neeedless wrote:

what is wrong with some of you people. dubs compared to subs are uncompareble. dubs are 100% better. that is the truth so accept it. anyway everyone is always complaining for the voice well guess what "its just anime" It wont kill you


You're right, it won't kill me. . .but it may compel me to kill myself.

The only reason people think dubs are better is because they are too damn lazy to read subtitles.

I could start going off about all the reasons subs are better, but there have been too many of those kinds of posts already, so I'll refrain from starting any of that.
68395 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 6/21/11

ChronicAddict wrote:


neeedless wrote:

what is wrong with some of you people. dubs compared to subs are uncompareble. dubs are 100% better. that is the truth so accept it. anyway everyone is always complaining for the voice well guess what "its just anime" It wont kill you


You're right, it won't kill me. . .but it may compel me to kill myself.

The only reason people think dubs are better is because they are too damn lazy to read subtitles.

I could start going off about all the reasons subs are better, but there have been too many of those kinds of posts already, so I'll refrain from starting any of that.


and the only reason people think dubs are terrible is because they watched 1 badly dubbed anime back in the 90's and assumed the industry never improved. in any case i like both but will always prefer dubbed if only because people refuse to watch a subtitle show with me lol.
1656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Forever a virgin
Offline
Posted 6/21/11

JeeKTan wrote:

Some dub animes are better than the subs. That really depends on who dubbed it. Personally, I would find a dub version of the anime, if there is one. I hope one day I can watch an anime that's is made in English ground up. For now, I have to tolerate fansubs and sometimes bad dubs whenever I watch anime.


I challenge you to find a dubbed anime that is better than the sub. No english dubbed anime will be better than the sub.

Why would you want a dubbed version of the anime? It basically ruins the whole anime, whether it be good or not in your opinion. THe english dubbers have no emotion whatsoever in their dubbing, and usually the voice actors, correct me if i'm wrong, are horribly casted. The voice for Sebastien in Kuroshitsuji is not thin enough to be Seb, and the voice for Ciel is, way too noticibly, a girl. At least the japanese female voice actors can disguise the fact that they are girls when they act a guy's role eg. Rito from To-LOVE-ru...I'm pretty sure Goku is also voiced by a female in the jap version.

Anyways, back to the topic, I was wondering why they couldnt have the original voice of Natsu, he can speak fluent English. He grew up in Germany and only left for Japan at the age of 18.
The Wise Wizard
100963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 6/22/11

Dragonfurl wrote:
I challenge you to find a dubbed anime that is better than the sub. No english dubbed anime will be better than the sub.

Who gets to judge whether it is "better" or not? The last I checked, there was no scientific measurement of "better" or "worse" for entertainment, it is purely subjective.

Are you so arrogant that you believe your opinion constitutes fact? If so, you might as well skip reading the remainder of this reply, as anything I say would be futile.


Why would you want a dubbed version of the anime? It basically ruins the whole anime, whether it be good or not in your opinion.

If you look closely the statement that followed your question, you answered your own question.



THe english dubbers have no emotion whatsoever in their dubbing, and usually the voice actors, correct me if i'm wrong, are horribly casted.

I suppose there is no chance at all that you are automatically biased against dubs, and therefore listen to them with an ear for finding every fault possible. Likewise, I suppose there is no chance that when listening to subs, you assign emotional value which is actually not present to a language which (I assume, as you are watching subs, not raws), that you do not understand.

The biggest failure of dub-haters is that they completely fail to take into consideration the power of the First Exposure Effect.

How many series have you watched completely as a dub before watching a single subbed episode? I'll wager you can count the number on one hand, and would not be surprised. Please make certain you understand what I am saying here before replying.

Your message also indicates that the second part of the First Exposure Effect appears to be in full force: You have seen enough anime as subs first, that you are pre-disposed against dubs (i.e., "No english dubbed anime will be better than the sub").



.I'm pretty sure Goku is also voiced by a female in the jap version.

Odd that you mention one of the best examples of what many consider to be a failure of the Japanese original. I've seen people that normally shun dubs criticize Goku's voice in the original Japanese vs. the dub (of course, they complain about most of the other voices in the dub).


Anyways, back to the topic, I was wondering why they couldnt have the original voice of Natsu, he can speak fluent English. He grew up in Germany and only left for Japan at the age of 18.

Given that Geneon didn't even use the original voices for the intelligent devices (which needed no translation) in the first two Nanoha series , this doesn't surprise me. It would have cost additional money, especially given that either they would have to pay a sufficient amount for him to travel from Japan, or foot the bill for recording sessions in Japan. Commercial enterprises are interested in pleasing the fans only to the extent they believe it will add to their bottom line.

Even if they had, dub-haters that didn't check the credits would still have said the Japanese VA was better.

1656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Forever a virgin
Offline
Posted 6/22/11


Regardless of what arguments you may have presented, as you may have noticed, I started my post with a CHALLENGE. I can agree with you that i have watched, what 5 or 6 animes from start to finish with only the dubs, but i did not find that they were better than the subs.

If you can find a dub that is better than a sub, or what you think and feel that is better than the subbed version, then i will watch it and hopefully that will start me on watching dubbed anime. Other than that, I still stand by my statement that there is no dub that is better than the sub, whether it be my personal opinion or not.

I also stand by that the majority of the anime watching community on CR will stand by me and say the same. It may be because of the fact that they only have watched subs, the "first exposure effect" or whatever you call it, or just that they sincerely did not enjoy any of the dubs that they have watched.
The Wise Wizard
100963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 6/22/11

Dragonfurl wrote:
Regardless of what arguments you may have presented, as you may have noticed, I started my post with a CHALLENGE. I can agree with you that i have watched, what 5 or 6 animes from start to finish with only the dubs, but i did not find that they were better than the subs.

If you can find a dub that is better than a sub, or what you think and feel that is better than the subbed version, then i will watch it and hopefully that will start me on watching dubbed anime. Other than that, I still stand by my statement that there is no dub that is better than the sub, whether it be my personal opinion or not.

I also stand by that the majority of the anime watching community on CR will stand by me and say the same. It may be because of the fact that they only have watched subs, the "first exposure effect" or whatever you call it, or just that they sincerely did not enjoy any of the dubs that they have watched.

I strongly believe it would be a waste of time to propose any dub to you that I feel was better than the sub, as I feel your conclusion would be forgone. I will leave that to the person you proposed the challenge to, as my quarrel with others regarding their opinion only begins at the point that they think it renders that of others invalid or of less value.

For myself, it matters little if the sub is better than the dub or visa versa. Given the choice between decent dub and an excellent sub, or even a mediocre dub and a good sub, I will chose the dub, because I find it delivers more entertainment value to me.

I have no doubt that the the majority of the anime watching community on CR would agree with you. It is a site that specializes in subs, after all. Even here, you will notice that sentiment is not universal, however. Visits the forums at Funimation or even ANN, and I have little doubt the outcome would be different (ANN probably being closer to the "real life" view).

Polysyllabic Support Lead
51494 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / CR HQ
Offline
Posted 6/22/11 , edited 6/22/11

Dragonfurl wrote:
I challenge you to find a dubbed anime that is better than the sub. No english dubbed anime will be better than the sub.

And it makes more sense to be in English with that absolutely stellar cast, even if the Japanese voice cast is excellent as well.

Other possibilities: Eva's voice cast actually acted, while its Japanese cast kind of slept through the script, reading in a monotone. Hellsing adds classy and appropriate British accents, taking out George Nakata's hilarious scenery-chewing overacting.

You really should listen to some Japanese dubs of English-language properties--in the dubbed-over X-Men cartoon, Cyclops sounded like a Japanese Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Wolverine had a little too much gravel in his voice (conversely, Rikiya Koyama plays an excellent Wolverine in the newer stuff).
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.