First  Prev  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  Next  Last
Anime Cliches - Things you are tired of seeing in anime
2982 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 11/6/11
@bacony97

How bout this? Dense male protagonists have been entered into a contract. They say stuff like; "Let me out of this, I don't want to be a part of this situation".

They are an "open book". When they pass the "P.O.N.R (Point of No Return) they imediately snap and say that they don't want to be a part of it, when it's really too late for this kind of comment.

To add to the list;
- Kaito Daimon
39093 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In a Car
Offline
Posted 11/6/11
Weak female leads that allow men/boys to treat them like crap (hitting, slapping, verbal abuse, rape, etc....) and then are like "oh well he loves me so it's ok". I know it is one of the most common cliches, but it annoys me the most. Second would be obligatory fan service episodes.
837 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 11/7/11
Think about it...without cliches, there would barely be any moe or bishonen! I am getting tired of smart megane characters though. I know a lot of people who wear glasses that aren't super smart or antisocial.
Posted 2/4/12 , edited 2/4/12
the main villain doesn't do anything, so they send their minions out to do the work for them, and get pissed when they fail.
the fact that no one ever has to use the bathroom
4990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 2/5/12
Fanservice, fillers and flashbacks.
45068 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/5/12
weak characters that only say the main characters name over and over again
47606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Maryland
Offline
Posted 2/6/12
Spineless/ Wimpy main characters
Perverted/ Idiotic best friends
Girls (more specifically Tsunderes) beating up guys whenever they get mad
Characters that are older than they look
Characters that are younger than they look
Incompetent police officers
2030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/7/12 , edited 2/7/12
so.. i know it's a huge list. but so is the list of annoying anime cliches.
i read the first 9 pages, and just got to a point where i couldn't take anymore.

anyways. here's SOME of the crap that drives -me- batty...

--deliberate willful ignorance of 'moderate' actions, like listening to the other person's explanation instead of immediately attacking / fleeing... or refusing to back down from fighting someone, even tho they've already discovered thay they aren't really enemies and share the same goals.

--deliberate willful ignorance of painfully obvious facts and whatever, just to drag out the plot.

--the "lone wolf" who's so impossibly lone-wolf-cool that he can't even work with the main hero group despite both teams -knowing- they have virtually identical goals.

--the "wolf in sheeps clothing"; when someone on the heroes' side is so plainly obviously evil even in front of everyone, has a horribly dark past, and yet everyone is completely shocked when he turns on the heroes.

--spending ages discussing/arguing/screaming to do a thing, which would take barely a split second to do. especially during combat, like making huge speeches about how they need to work together to defeat the enemy. ESPECIALLY when the enemies don't stop to listen to the speech as well, and all the extras are getting picked off left and right while the leader is yelling (something along the lines of) "Shoot them! Everybody, use your guns and shoot them! we need to work together to defeat the [insert name of enemy here]!!!".

--girls freaking out that teenage boys get horny sometimes. and when the freak out after rubbing it in the guys face, and act all surprised that he got turned on.

--girls getting all jealous over a boy and expecting him to pursue them, but refusing to actually let him in on the secret. especially the impossible anime love polygon, where unlimited girls all fall for the same guy, but NONE of them can actually step up and tell him.

--the uncrackable tsundere's. who despite obviously showing affection for someone, refuse to admit they like the person, and expect others to believe it.

--the impossibly klutzy ditz, in high action combat anime. especially the "ditzy girl makes good" episode where she somehow saves the day in spite of herself.

--"non-lethal deadly weaponry" and "magical friendship beam" combat. where the characters all use swords and claws and guns magic beams and hideous-stabby-things.. but never actually kill anyone. especially when after fighting the person for the umpti-eth epic battle and finally defeating them, the epically evil villian sees the truth of the hero's ways and reforms. [and yet i love naruto, and Lyrical Nanoha, epic examples of both themes.]

--compunded when the hero becomes enraged after the turncoat-villain's former teammates turn on him and kill him "for realz", even tho the villain is like.. a mass murderer and rapes dogs and kicks little children. or something like that.

--the dark/tragic past that, years later, the character still cannot put behind him, losing his mind to rage /crippling angst whenever the person/other trigger involved in his past shows up.

--any other reason for crippling angst. especially when simply taking any action at all would resolve the situation one way or the other, andall possible outcomes are more or less equal.. or even more so when it's essentially guaranteed that the outcome will be to the benefit of the character.

--also, the "it's too much for me, i can't handle it, you need to let me out!" crap, despite being eager to help at the start and now being in a situation where it's simply not possible to get out.

--inability to approach goals in any manner but a direct straight line, becoming even more determined to move in only a straight line as the difficulty of that path increases.


...and god, i could just keep going on. but this is already approaching tl;dr, no?
76776 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 2/7/12


So why are you in the anime section?

seems to me that you're sick of all anime perhaps a soap opera will be good for you?
2030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/7/12

AnimeKami wrote:
So why are you in the anime section?

seems to me that you're sick of all anime perhaps a soap opera will be good for you?


oh please.. most of those cliches exist in pretty much any medium of storytelling :P
and it's fairly difficult to find anime that combine -too- many of them, or use them to such a degree that it affects the story more than you were expecting. harem anime are harem anime. shonen anime are shonen anime. etc etc.. you -will- see certain cliches, but you expect it going in. and it's mostly that all of these cliches are based around willful stupidity or desperately avoiding resolution by contrived means.

mind you, i have varying tolerances for different 'problems'; as i said, i love Naruto despite it's non-lethal deadly weaponry -- it passes, because you can just go with "well they're super-skilled ninjas, they just managed to dodge/block/parry/deflect the lethal blows, at least to something non-fatal". and as for Nanoha, with her magical friendship beams, again, it makes some sense -- the horrible evil villains aren't really all that evil, they just don't know a nicer way to do things, or they're being controlled somehow, etc.

there -are- some anime that just drag it out to the point of being awful tho..

--Gantz.. literally spending like 1/3rd an ep in every combat episode repeating corny lines like "We're all going to go home together!" and "We have to work together, everyone!".. or, my favorite, standing there with guns in hand, watching teammates around you being dismembered while screaming "Everyone shoot them! We have to shoot them!" (and the like), yet just standing there, not actually acting on your own advice.

actually, off the top of my head, i can't think of anything else so painfully overdone that i've seen in a long time.
hm, if i had 500pts, i'd start a thread about it.
76776 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 2/7/12

youwannaroll wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:
So why are you in the anime section?

seems to me that you're sick of all anime perhaps a soap opera will be good for you?


oh please.. most of those cliches exist in pretty much any medium of storytelling :P
and it's fairly difficult to find anime that combine -too- many of them, or use them to such a degree that it affects the story more than you were expecting. harem anime are harem anime. shonen anime are shonen anime. etc etc.. you -will- see certain cliches, but you expect it going in. and it's mostly that all of these cliches are based around willful stupidity or desperately avoiding resolution by contrived means.

mind you, i have varying tolerances for different 'problems'; as i said, i love Naruto despite it's non-lethal deadly weaponry -- it passes, because you can just go with "well they're super-skilled ninjas, they just managed to dodge/block/parry/deflect the lethal blows, at least to something non-fatal". and as for Nanoha, with her magical friendship beams, again, it makes some sense -- the horrible evil villains aren't really all that evil, they just don't know a nicer way to do things, or they're being controlled somehow, etc.

there -are- some anime that just drag it out to the point of being awful tho..

--Gantz.. literally spending like 1/3rd an ep in every combat episode repeating corny lines like "We're all going to go home together!" and "We have to work together, everyone!".. or, my favorite, standing there with guns in hand, watching teammates around you being dismembered while screaming "Everyone shoot them! We have to shoot them!" (and the like), yet just standing there, not actually acting on your own advice.

actually, off the top of my head, i can't think of anything else so painfully overdone that i've seen in a long time.
hm, if i had 500pts, i'd start a thread about it.


only read the first line(actually less)

so why are you on this sight anyways if not for the shows, i mean you can't possibly be here for the news....
2030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/7/12

AnimeKami wrote:
so why are you on this sight anyways if not for the shows, i mean you can't possibly be here for the news....


i've been waiting for you to talk to me.
10480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / always in my litt...
Offline
Posted 2/7/12
im tired of the typical harem
where all the girls for some reason fall for the same guy that apparently has no special anything or what-so-ever
and im tired of that main male character having a best male friend that is always a pervert not liked by any girls
and im tired that this main male character gets to see boobs and feel boobs all the time but acts like he is no pervert
and im tired of the typical silent girl ... like nagato yuki or ayanami rei and those bitches
but im more... a lot more tired of some tsunderes!
some of them
others like haruhi suzumiya and taiga are adorable
but most of the new ones are just... ugh
2982 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 2/8/12
weak willed teammates
- they would fall to the darkside

2030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/9/12

akira_akiyama wrote:

im tired of the typical harem
where all the girls for some reason fall for the same guy that apparently has no special anything or what-so-ever
and im tired of that main male character having a best male friend that is always a pervert not liked by any girls
and im tired that this main male character gets to see boobs and feel boobs all the time but acts like he is no pervert
and im tired of the typical silent girl ... like nagato yuki or ayanami rei and those bitches
but im more... a lot more tired of some tsunderes!
some of them
others like haruhi suzumiya and taiga are adorable
but most of the new ones are just... ugh


*scratches head* i'm not sure that Haruhi would really qualify as tsundere? she's just really, uh, "different" :P

as for Taiga, she's tolerable (ok ok, so much better than simply 'tolerable') because her feelings evolve like a real girls' might. she's developed a shell around her, to keep from getting hurt.. but she actually does come to openly admit her feelings for Ryuji as she starts to recognize them herself.

none of that "locked-in personality" garbage that so many characters get stuck with so that they don't have to evolve during the series.
First  Prev  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.