First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Crunchyroll drops honorifics in simulcasts
55096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 10/20/10 , edited 10/20/10

Northerner wrote:

Yet the better informed of us can overlook this slight issue by listening to the original audio track and easily picking out any of the honorifics we wouldn't want taken from the subtitles. I feel that translations of signs, and other things, should always be present for those who can't read Japanese characters. It used to be that the names of characters where changed in order to make anime more accessible to the west, yet they decided to be less bigoted and retain the identities of said characters. For instance; a character with the name Akira doesn't need to be called Bob. So much meaning is lost if that happens.


As I said, the honorifics specifically don't bother me too much, largely for the reasons others have mentioned above. What concerns me is if it's indicative of a shift away from stricter accuracy toward "whatever, as long as people easily understand it." For an example of what I'm talking about, see http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/19/aksys-blog-the-interpretation-not-translation-school-of-thought/. It's a blog from a localization editor at Aksys Games, who admits his work changes characters' personalities some, and that he inserted jokes and things because the script was "dry."

Does inclusion or exclusion of honorifics change things to that degree? No, it doesn't. But as for me, I'd very much rather see things left fully intact. It makes it easier for me to trust that things aren't moving in the direction of "this doesn't work for an American audience; let's change it."

(By the way, I do know what you mean about changing names--my ex-wife was a huge Sailor Moon fan. Serena, et. al. Ugh.)
4980 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / ireland
Offline
Posted 10/20/10
I don't have any problem with that.
30031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31
Offline
Posted 10/20/10
If they mean so much, how about you cut out the middle man and learn Japanese for yourself instead of crying about it?
55096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 10/20/10

dhaikage wrote:

If they mean so much, how about you cut out the middle man and learn Japanese for yourself instead of crying about it?


If Windows doesn't work quite how you want, how about you learn C/C++, and code your own OS? If you don't like this or that law, how about you put your life on hold and run for Senate? The most complete solution to any given problem is not always practical.

No one here has "cried" about anything. They've stated their opinion, for or against, and most have given a reason or two as to why they support what they do. There's been no hyperbole, no "Waah, Crunchyroll is evil and I'm canceling," and no drama.
30031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31
Offline
Posted 10/20/10

locklear93 wrote:


dhaikage wrote:

If they mean so much, how about you cut out the middle man and learn Japanese for yourself instead of crying about it?


If Windows doesn't work quite how you want, how about you learn C/C++, and code your own OS? If you don't like this or that law, how about you put your life on hold and run for Senate? The most complete solution to any given problem is not always practical.

No one here has "cried" about anything. They've stated their opinion, for or against, and most have given a reason or two as to why they support what they do. There's been no hyperbole, no "Waah, Crunchyroll is evil and I'm canceling," and no drama.


Note my comment wasn't directed at anyone. The fact that you took issue with my statement enough to respond is telling in and of itself. Sensitive much?

If you really have a problem with something and it's really that important to you, you'll do something about it. If you don't, then you're wasting everyone's time. If I don't like Windows, then I switch OS's. If I don't like a law, I gather a like-minded group of citizens to inundate my Representatives and Senators so they can fix it.
20435 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/20/10
Yeah I don't care for honorifics much either
Posted 10/20/10
If its subbed it needs to be literal not Americanized. But the nature of marketing is to appeal to the masses and the masses don't understand any of it or don't know the difference. It wont get better if you hate it get Rosetta Stone or something and learn the language turn the stupid subs off.
55 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/20/10 , edited 10/20/10


Heh, fools don't know...
29014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 10/20/10

T-Rish wrote:

bring honorifics back!!!!! It shows us how close/far the relationship between the two characters areee... :(


Seriously? Watch the damn show, then you'll know how close they are.

Who really cares about honorifics? They hold no relevance in western society. Unless you are a jap-obsessed idiot walking around with a naruto forehead protector yelling "KAWAIIII" whenever you see something you like and acting like a complete douchebag, they hold no relevance to the rest of us.

Posted 10/20/10
Honorifics seriously annoy me. Maybe not so much in subs, but to be honest, it's really not necessary at all. As for people upset about subbers drifting from literal meanings...unless Japanese culture is absolutely fundamental to the plot, there's really no point in keeping Japanese allusions and references that aren't already generally understood by anime fans. It's actually quite refreshing and clever when a writer can take a reference meant for Japanese audiences and make it understandable for an English-speaking audience, whether it's fixing up a visual pun or brining up a similar analogy that folks can understand better instead of having to pause and read the entire history of the reference at the top of the screen. Sometimes, I know, the latter method is necessary, but if it can be cleverly enough avoided, then kudos to whoever fixed it up for our better understanding.

Everyone is so bent out of shape over preserving what they're referring to as necessary Japanese culture when really it is the understanding of the story and what is meant to come across in the dialogue that really needs to be preserved, and though someone is bound to call me lazy for saying this, it's made easier on watchers when they don't have to do follow-up research when they watch something.
Posted 10/20/10
In other words trdl
13258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / O.C. So.Cal
Offline
Posted 10/20/10
yeah I agree they shouldn't take honorifics out. It would seem as if the characters are disrespecting
55 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/20/10

LemonyPanda wrote:

yeah I agree they shouldn't take honorifics out. It would seem as if the characters are disrespecting


Yeah, totally right. Dead on, you really hit the nail on the head.
T-Rish 
40422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Australia
Offline
Posted 10/20/10 , edited 10/20/10

velkyr wrote:


T-Rish wrote:

bring honorifics back!!!!! It shows us how close/far the relationship between the two characters areee... :(


Seriously? Watch the damn show, then you'll know how close they are.

Who really cares about honorifics? They hold no relevance in western society. Unless you are a jap-obsessed idiot walking around with a naruto forehead protector yelling "KAWAIIII" whenever you see something you like and acting like a complete douchebag, they hold no relevance to the rest of us.



Oh please. Don't hate on me just because of my liking honorifics. Its a part of Japanese culture so why should it be lost in translation? Leaving it out just westernizes the anime even more. Its also a sign of respect which is lost to most of the idiotic, disrespectful youngsters these days (mostly in western countries), which is why they don't get it. Keep your opinions to yourself next time instead of clashing with someone. It's immature to attack a person's personal opinion.

And no I'm not like one of "those" people. And what's wrong with them anyway? They just decide to show their love for anime and japanese culture more than most of us. You're on an anime site which probably consists of most of "those" kind of people, so your argument is irrelevant here.

55 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/21/10

T-Rish wrote:


velkyr wrote:


T-Rish wrote:

bring honorifics back!!!!! It shows us how close/far the relationship between the two characters areee... :(


Seriously? Watch the damn show, then you'll know how close they are.

Who really cares about honorifics? They hold no relevance in western society. Unless you are a jap-obsessed idiot walking around with a naruto forehead protector yelling "KAWAIIII" whenever you see something you like and acting like a complete douchebag, they hold no relevance to the rest of us.



Oh please. Don't hate on me just because of my liking honorifics. Its a part of Japanese culture so why should it be lost in translation? Leaving it out just westernizes the anime even more. Its also a sign of respect which is lost to most of the idiotic, disrespectful youngsters these days (mostly in western countries), which is why they don't get it. Keep your opinions to yourself next time instead of clashing with someone. It's immature to attack a person's personal opinion.

And no I'm not like one of "those" people. And what's wrong with them anyway? They just decide to show their love for anime and japanese culture more than most of us. You're on an anime site which probably consists of most of "those" kind of people, so your argument is irrelevant here.



Your 19, in my book thats a "youngster."
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.