First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Obsession with shooting games
78062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Where the future...
Online
Posted 11/28/10

kenkorrupt wrote:


TobiaSR32 wrote:

Heck no it didn't start with Halo. I remember when DOOM and Duke Nukem were all the rage back in the day. Used to play both of them like crazy. Halo is just the biggest one of this decade.


I remember seeing DOOM being Demo'd by a couple of salesman at the computer store at the mall when I was little, and thinking - HOLY SHIT. Never seen anything like it. It was a big jump from the NES I was used to.

I played it several years later, and it still scared the hell out of me. Duke Nukem was good, too! Especially the women. >.<

Glad someone else remembers those games besides me >.<


Hell yeah! First time I played it a friend of mine brought it over and all of us would gather around the TV and take turns playing it. DOOM was awesome but I had more fun playing Duke Nukem since it was funnier. DOOM will always be a classic in my book.
575 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / philippines
Offline
Posted 11/30/10
i shot real guns, air soft guns, paint ball guns all are the same(shooting out projectiles) except real guns are more fun to shoot at a target and
63793 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 12/2/10
yeah i'd have to say halo: reach.....>_____<
325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 12/2/10
Anyone heard of Golden Eye 007? That's where it all started for console shooters
20077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Pinckney, Michiga...
Offline
Posted 12/3/10

Libara wrote:

If fps "belongs" to PC then the favourite platform wouldnt be consoles like it is. Bringing FPS's on consoles just gives the genre a lot more potential audience. I prefer FPS on console, seems just easier to get into games etc. I only really play strategy and sim games on PC.


It definitely started on PC, and it does belong on PC. FPS'es on consoles are just bread for the masses. It's like playing a platformer or RPG with a keyboard and mouse; it's not the best way to do it, but it will work.

The amount of control that a keyboard and mouse provide are worlds beyond of that provided by a noob-stick. Anyone that says otherwise hasn't played a worthwhile FPS on a PC long enough to find that out. Seems like anyone that defends their "sticks" hasn't tried out both sides.
66553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 12/3/10

eulogy1337 wrote:


Libara wrote:

If fps "belongs" to PC then the favourite platform wouldnt be consoles like it is. Bringing FPS's on consoles just gives the genre a lot more potential audience. I prefer FPS on console, seems just easier to get into games etc. I only really play strategy and sim games on PC.


It definitely started on PC, and it does belong on PC. FPS'es on consoles are just bread for the masses. It's like playing a platformer or RPG with a keyboard and mouse; it's not the best way to do it, but it will work.

The amount of control that a keyboard and mouse provide are worlds beyond of that provided by a noob-stick. Anyone that says otherwise hasn't played a worthwhile FPS on a PC long enough to find that out. Seems like anyone that defends their "sticks" hasn't tried out both sides.


Why because your opinion is the only right one? I've played plenty of fps's on pc from medal of honour, BF series, Crysis etc. I still prefer the controller. It may have started on PC but it has evolved onto consoles and going by sales its definitely more successful on consoles. PC will always be the platform I prefer but for me FPS's are better on consoles.
20077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Pinckney, Michiga...
Offline
Posted 12/3/10 , edited 12/3/10

Libara wrote:


eulogy1337 wrote:


Libara wrote:

If fps "belongs" to PC then the favourite platform wouldnt be consoles like it is. Bringing FPS's on consoles just gives the genre a lot more potential audience. I prefer FPS on console, seems just easier to get into games etc. I only really play strategy and sim games on PC.


It definitely started on PC, and it does belong on PC. FPS'es on consoles are just bread for the masses. It's like playing a platformer or RPG with a keyboard and mouse; it's not the best way to do it, but it will work.

The amount of control that a keyboard and mouse provide are worlds beyond of that provided by a noob-stick. Anyone that says otherwise hasn't played a worthwhile FPS on a PC long enough to find that out. Seems like anyone that defends their "sticks" hasn't tried out both sides.


Why because your opinion is the only right one? I've played plenty of fps's on pc from medal of honour, BF series, Crysis etc. I still prefer the controller. It may have started on PC but it has evolved onto consoles and going by sales its definitely more successful on consoles. PC will always be the platform I prefer but for me FPS's are better on consoles.


The fact that a keyboard and mouse are better than a pair of sticks is not an opinion. Microsoft originally had plans for cross-platform gaming for games like Halo, and it was canceled. Care to guess why? http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/07/rumour-microsoft-killed-plans-for-pc-vs-xbox-360-online-play/ - sure, it's just a rumor - but would they dare come out and say it? No, because it could potentially hurt sales of their precious Xbox.

The most popular Xbox FPS undoubtedly is Halo. Most would agree that Counter-Strike is one of the most popular, and most competitive FPS on PC. Go ahead and Youtube some tournament play of each game and tell me which one looks like the players are better.

You are trying to compare a 10-speed bicycle that your uncle got you for your birthday to a Formula One car. You might love to take your tot-cycle on a ride, but don't take it to the race track.

Sure, you may enjoy playing on sticks better, but if you plugged in your Xbox 360 controller into your PC, and hopped into a CS scrim, you would be ridiculed so hard for the amount of ass that you suck.

Here's a cold, hard fact that will entirely deny all arguments that using a controller is even remotely close to the accuracy of a mouse. Are you ready for it? All console FPS games have built in aim assistance. If you were to use such a program in the realm of PC gaming, you would be banned because it is, plain and simple, cheating. So go ahead and play your Halo: Barbie games while the real gamers are playing real games.
66553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 12/3/10

eulogy1337 wrote:


Libara wrote:


eulogy1337 wrote:


Libara wrote:

If fps "belongs" to PC then the favourite platform wouldnt be consoles like it is. Bringing FPS's on consoles just gives the genre a lot more potential audience. I prefer FPS on console, seems just easier to get into games etc. I only really play strategy and sim games on PC.


It definitely started on PC, and it does belong on PC. FPS'es on consoles are just bread for the masses. It's like playing a platformer or RPG with a keyboard and mouse; it's not the best way to do it, but it will work.

The amount of control that a keyboard and mouse provide are worlds beyond of that provided by a noob-stick. Anyone that says otherwise hasn't played a worthwhile FPS on a PC long enough to find that out. Seems like anyone that defends their "sticks" hasn't tried out both sides.


Why because your opinion is the only right one? I've played plenty of fps's on pc from medal of honour, BF series, Crysis etc. I still prefer the controller. It may have started on PC but it has evolved onto consoles and going by sales its definitely more successful on consoles. PC will always be the platform I prefer but for me FPS's are better on consoles.


The fact that a keyboard and mouse are better than a pair of sticks is not an opinion. Microsoft originally had plans for cross-platform gaming for games like Halo, and it was canceled. Care to guess why? http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/07/rumour-microsoft-killed-plans-for-pc-vs-xbox-360-online-play/ - sure, it's just a rumor - but would they dare come out and say it? No, because it could potentially hurt sales of their precious Xbox.

The most popular Xbox FPS undoubtedly is Halo. Most would agree that Counter-Strike is one of the most popular, and most competitive FPS on PC. Go ahead and Youtube some tournament play of each game and tell me which one looks like the players are better.

You are trying to compare a 10-speed bicycle that your uncle got you for your birthday to a Formula One car. You might love to take your tot-cycle on a ride, but don't take it to the race track.

Sure, you may enjoy playing on sticks better, but if you plugged in your Xbox 360 controller into your PC, and hopped into a CS scrim, you would be ridiculed so hard for the amount of ass that you suck.

Here's a cold, hard fact that will entirely deny all arguments that using a controller is even remotely close to the accuracy of a mouse. Are you ready for it? All console FPS games have built in aim assistance. If you were to use such a program in the realm of PC gaming, you would be banned because it is, plain and simple, cheating. So go ahead and play your Halo: Barbie games while the real gamers are playing real games.


Lol most console fps have the option to switch off the auto aim but I'm sure you knew that already. It IS an opinion that K&M are better than "sticks" some people prefer one while the rest the other, its about preference. Its hard to take what you say seriously when you come up with things like " amount of ass that you suck." you just sound like an angry fanboy which in turn looses your credibility. I wont waste my time replying to your posts any more.
1767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / In my mind
Offline
Posted 12/3/10
Well, it was alway WW2. Then some day I played Halo, but most of the shooters I play are CoD. But now I don't want to play shooters anymore, I'm waiting for AC: Brotherhood on the PC and Fable 3.
20077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Pinckney, Michiga...
Offline
Posted 12/3/10

LibaraLol most console fps have the option to switch off the auto aim but I'm sure you knew that already. It IS an opinion that K&M are better than "sticks" some people prefer one while the rest the other, its about preference. Its hard to take what you say seriously when you come up with things like " amount of ass that you suck." you just sound like an angry fanboy which in turn looses your credibility. I wont waste my time replying to your posts any more.


This well constructed post made some very well thought-out points and I have taken them into consideration.

The fact that it's even an option on consoles is enough proof, and the fact that you can't see that and keep claiming that it's "all preference" points towards you being the fanboy. I'm trying to construct a well laid out argument that a mouse, using two fingers and an entire wrist, is better than using a single thumb with an axis, yet you come with no backing facts and simply calling my evidence 'opinions' because you don't have any evidence at all.

I understand that you prefer using a pad. That's fine. It's like preferring to play tee-ball, just don't put yourself on the same level as MLB players.

I am no fanboy; I play NES, SNES, PS3, DS, and PC. However, I am angry if you seriously believe that a joystick can honestly compete with a keyboard and mouse.

It's like saying that you play without a screen. It's just preference, right? No, that is an obvious hindrance to being able to play the game to your fullest skill level. Sure, you may be able to pull it off, but why would you want to set yourself back that much?
Posted 12/3/10
Unless the game was specifically designed for console (GoldenEye, TimeSplitters, etc.), I never saw the point of playing FPS with a control pad. You don't get anywhere near the full capabilities as you would with a keyboard and mouse. It's like playing a racing game from the arcades without a wheel, gearshift, and pedals. What's the point?
242 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 12/9/10
the oldest shooter ive ever played was wolfenstien!! man that game was so beast, they dont make shooters like they used to. i'd say when consoles went online, shooters became garbage. remember MoH: fronline? games just were more deep back then, now all the games do is cater to trash talkers and lil kids who are trash talkers lol call of duty is the perfect example to prove my point that if you focus too much on multi, then all you get is a bunch of idiots playing the ''who screams the loudest wins'' game.
11461 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / The System of Sol
Offline
Posted 12/9/10 , edited 12/9/10
HAHAHAHA..... FPS on consoles are a joke.... just like consoles in general....

Anyhow, it started with DOOM for me on my DX2-66 with 4Mb ram and 2 MB gfx card. It was awesome. Then along came System Shock and System Shock 2 (Greatest game ever made)... Followed by Half-life and now STALKER.

I just love the feel of the games..... I truly hate anything 3rd person.
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 12/14/10
I`m more obsessed with adventure games like Uncharted, but for now I`m hooked on playing multiplayer online on Black Ops, unfortunatly Treyarch almost don`t give a crap about the PS3 users and give use crappy patch file that don`t work and only make stuff worse :P

SkipRat:
In i.e. 2 years when a new CoD game comes, the PS3 users only need to install and update file for the system while the PC users either need to buy a new pc or change some components :P
So no, consols aren`t a joke, it`s so much easier then a damn pc :P
PCs are unecessary difficult, stuff could have been much easier then they are.
286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 11/24/11
I believe that the whole craze with shooting games started on PC with those classic games such as Doom, Quake, Rainbow Six and wolfenstein 3D.
But personally for me, I got into the shooting genre via games such as Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six Vegas and Ghost Recon. (Tom Clancy games really)
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.