First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
The end of existence
4095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Los Angeles, Cali...
Offline
Posted 9/30/08 , edited 10/1/08

tweety_cool wrote:


MEMPHADON wrote:


MattChristy wrote:

This is a topic I've been thinking about for some time now. As we all know, humans are the only intelligent species on the planet. Intelligent as in, are capable of learning, judging, and making concious decisions.
Throughout history, mankind has strived for greatness and power. This can be seen with both world wars, Hitler in general, Joseph Stalin, and even the formation of the United States. Lets face it, mankind as a whole, desires power. But why does the most powerful species on the planet desire more power than it already has? Greed has led us to do unspeakable things in order to achieve our goals of power or happiness. Greed has led us to kill hundreds of millions of people for the success of our goals.
I have always, wondered, what happens when there is nothing left for mankind to strive for? When there are no peoples to kill, or no reason to kill them. When there are no resources to hoard, or no wars to fight. When mankind has expanded itself into the galaxy and can go no further, what will happen to us? Can a human being really live each and every day in perfect harmony, with no conflict? I believe the answer is no. Conflict is a part of human life, a very important part, and despite how much we hate it, we couldnt live without it. How important is a life with no conflict? The human mind, constantly craving power and happiness, will one day fall to itself, fall to its greed, fall to its hunger when there is nothing left for it to eat.

So I ask everyone, is intelligence a gift, or a curse? Should we be thankful that we are able to think for ourselves, or are we better off like dogs, merely following our instincts, doing the bare minimum to survive? I'd be delighted to hear the opinions of others.


once there is nothing else to strive for, thats when things start to fracture and splinter off into separate groups. thats when (sorry to bring taoism into this) the yin triumphs over the yang, as it always does. history shows this time and again with almost every large empire in history. besides the fact that i think its impossible for there to be nothing to strive for, nowhere to expand to, no resources to hoard, and no reason to fight, the structure that allowed us to get that far in the first place will crumble before we ever reach that point.

i don't think its intellect that is the curse, i think its our natural instincts. its not our intellect that makes us want to hoard goods, land, and weapons, its our survival instincts that are constantly warning us that there could be some outside threat that will swoop in and take some of it away at any time, so we have to have enough that it can't all be taken away at once.


basically, it is because of the fear that we have. Sad, but true. We built this world based on fear.

btw what if we eliminate those fear? artificially eliminate them i mean.



i don't think its possible. it would take thousands of years to unwire those instincts from our brain. that is the one area of our brain that is fully developed at birth, and it would take a miracle of evolution to be the first species to be born without survival instincts
757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 9/30/08 , edited 10/1/08

MEMPHADON wrote:


tweety_cool wrote:


MEMPHADON wrote:


MattChristy wrote:

This is a topic I've been thinking about for some time now. As we all know, humans are the only intelligent species on the planet. Intelligent as in, are capable of learning, judging, and making concious decisions.
Throughout history, mankind has strived for greatness and power. This can be seen with both world wars, Hitler in general, Joseph Stalin, and even the formation of the United States. Lets face it, mankind as a whole, desires power. But why does the most powerful species on the planet desire more power than it already has? Greed has led us to do unspeakable things in order to achieve our goals of power or happiness. Greed has led us to kill hundreds of millions of people for the success of our goals.
I have always, wondered, what happens when there is nothing left for mankind to strive for? When there are no peoples to kill, or no reason to kill them. When there are no resources to hoard, or no wars to fight. When mankind has expanded itself into the galaxy and can go no further, what will happen to us? Can a human being really live each and every day in perfect harmony, with no conflict? I believe the answer is no. Conflict is a part of human life, a very important part, and despite how much we hate it, we couldnt live without it. How important is a life with no conflict? The human mind, constantly craving power and happiness, will one day fall to itself, fall to its greed, fall to its hunger when there is nothing left for it to eat.

So I ask everyone, is intelligence a gift, or a curse? Should we be thankful that we are able to think for ourselves, or are we better off like dogs, merely following our instincts, doing the bare minimum to survive? I'd be delighted to hear the opinions of others.


once there is nothing else to strive for, thats when things start to fracture and splinter off into separate groups. thats when (sorry to bring taoism into this) the yin triumphs over the yang, as it always does. history shows this time and again with almost every large empire in history. besides the fact that i think its impossible for there to be nothing to strive for, nowhere to expand to, no resources to hoard, and no reason to fight, the structure that allowed us to get that far in the first place will crumble before we ever reach that point.

i don't think its intellect that is the curse, i think its our natural instincts. its not our intellect that makes us want to hoard goods, land, and weapons, its our survival instincts that are constantly warning us that there could be some outside threat that will swoop in and take some of it away at any time, so we have to have enough that it can't all be taken away at once.


basically, it is because of the fear that we have. Sad, but true. We built this world based on fear.

btw what if we eliminate those fear? artificially eliminate them i mean.



i don't think its possible. it would take thousands of years to unwire those instincts from our brain. that is the one area of our brain that is fully developed at birth, and it would take a miracle of evolution to be the first species to be born without survival instincts


So it's actually possible to eliminate those reason if we eliminate our fear.

It's just matter of how. and of course, matter of moral values.
4095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Los Angeles, Cali...
Offline
Posted 9/30/08 , edited 10/1/08

tweety_cool wrote:


MEMPHADON wrote:


tweety_cool wrote:


MEMPHADON wrote:


MattChristy wrote:

This is a topic I've been thinking about for some time now. As we all know, humans are the only intelligent species on the planet. Intelligent as in, are capable of learning, judging, and making concious decisions.
Throughout history, mankind has strived for greatness and power. This can be seen with both world wars, Hitler in general, Joseph Stalin, and even the formation of the United States. Lets face it, mankind as a whole, desires power. But why does the most powerful species on the planet desire more power than it already has? Greed has led us to do unspeakable things in order to achieve our goals of power or happiness. Greed has led us to kill hundreds of millions of people for the success of our goals.
I have always, wondered, what happens when there is nothing left for mankind to strive for? When there are no peoples to kill, or no reason to kill them. When there are no resources to hoard, or no wars to fight. When mankind has expanded itself into the galaxy and can go no further, what will happen to us? Can a human being really live each and every day in perfect harmony, with no conflict? I believe the answer is no. Conflict is a part of human life, a very important part, and despite how much we hate it, we couldnt live without it. How important is a life with no conflict? The human mind, constantly craving power and happiness, will one day fall to itself, fall to its greed, fall to its hunger when there is nothing left for it to eat.

So I ask everyone, is intelligence a gift, or a curse? Should we be thankful that we are able to think for ourselves, or are we better off like dogs, merely following our instincts, doing the bare minimum to survive? I'd be delighted to hear the opinions of others.


once there is nothing else to strive for, thats when things start to fracture and splinter off into separate groups. thats when (sorry to bring taoism into this) the yin triumphs over the yang, as it always does. history shows this time and again with almost every large empire in history. besides the fact that i think its impossible for there to be nothing to strive for, nowhere to expand to, no resources to hoard, and no reason to fight, the structure that allowed us to get that far in the first place will crumble before we ever reach that point.

i don't think its intellect that is the curse, i think its our natural instincts. its not our intellect that makes us want to hoard goods, land, and weapons, its our survival instincts that are constantly warning us that there could be some outside threat that will swoop in and take some of it away at any time, so we have to have enough that it can't all be taken away at once.


basically, it is because of the fear that we have. Sad, but true. We built this world based on fear.

btw what if we eliminate those fear? artificially eliminate them i mean.



i don't think its possible. it would take thousands of years to unwire those instincts from our brain. that is the one area of our brain that is fully developed at birth, and it would take a miracle of evolution to be the first species to be born without survival instincts


So it's actually possible to eliminate those reason if we eliminate our fear.

It's just matter of how. and of course, matter of moral values.


i wouldn't hold my breath
1034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / new york
Offline
Posted 10/1/08 , edited 10/1/08
you guys are all young ?! why are you guys having a discussion about the end of the world? why would anyone even want to to know how the world is going to end? is that really something you guys want to wake up thinking about everyday? you watch the news you guys know that there are alot of things going on right now in the world like war, famine,hurracaines,floods you guys have to understand that we may all be very well dead before that happens. im trying to live in the here and now and do the right thing so i dont have to think of o [email protected]#t i wonder whats gonna happen in the end? theres alot of theories on this topic and noone has a answer because they do not know.you may very well be thinking about whats gonna happen when the world ends and die the very next day for no apparent reason? thats why im saying worry about the here and now cuz i dont remember anyone being promised to wake up tomorrow.
757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 10/1/08 , edited 10/1/08

diazragu08 wrote:

you guys are all young ?! why are you guys having a discussion about the end of the world? why would anyone even want to to know how the world is going to end? is that really something you guys want to wake up thinking about everyday? you watch the news you guys know that there are alot of things going on right now in the world like war, famine,hurracaines,floods you guys have to understand that we may all be very well dead before that happens. im trying to live in the here and now and do the right thing so i dont have to think of o [email protected]#t i wonder whats gonna happen in the end? theres alot of theories on this topic and noone has a answer because they do not know.you may very well be thinking about whats gonna happen when the world ends and die the very next day for no apparent reason? thats why im saying worry about the here and now cuz i dont remember anyone being promised to wake up tomorrow.


uuuh.... yeah. It's kinda fun I guess ^^. No, not everytime, we have homework and work. Don't worry, it's just for run.
Posted 8/20/09 , edited 8/20/09
Thread is outdated.

~Locked
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.