First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Difference between "otaku" and "weeaboo".
Posted 11/24/10
When I revisited this I thought I'd include something funny concerning weeaboos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pupTowgpVVo&feature=related

Best series ever.
Posted 11/24/10
sorry for double posting but when you will guys realize that the word otaku is degenerate statement for an anime in japan. To be called and an "otaku" is the umilate insult to some in Japan.
http://www.cjas.org/~leng/otaku-origin.htm
13214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44
Offline
Posted 11/24/10
im neither..im just a japanophile and xenophile
19264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Minnesota, USA
Offline
Posted 11/24/10
Yeah we pretty much all had that "weeaboo" like phase when we first got into anime. Thank gawd I stopped being that way a year ago. Also @CecilTheDarkKnight, some of us are probably aware it's an insult in Japan (Many reasons why, including someone known as "The otaku murderer"). However the word's true meaning changes when it's used outside of Japan. Outside of Japan however, many people proudly label themselves with that word.
19264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Minnesota, USA
Offline
Posted 11/24/10

garcon wrote:

im neither..im just a japanophile and xenophile


"Weeaboo" is a synonym for "Jananophile" and "Wapanese". Out of all those words, Japanophile sounds the best and doesn't sound as demeaning.

(Sorry for double post)
Posted 11/24/10

MeidouZangetsuha83 wrote:

So a few days ago I made this topic on the PlayStation.com forums. http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/Anime-Discussion/quot-Otaku-quot-and-quot-Weeaboo-quot-What-these-words-exactly/td-p/46431710 It later ended up degrading into a flame war due to trolling and me being too pushy trying to make my point across (Mainly to my hate club) that the two words aren't the same and I'm not a "weeaboo". It ended up getting locked due to that. Original opening post from there put here below. Though something I'll add into this, do you think they mean the same thing? And if so, why do you think they mean the same thing?



Anime fandom has been around for a long time now and these words have come up in popular culture. "Weeaboo" and "Otaku". Many people mix them up or think they mean the same thing.



Otaku basically means by it's American definition (The Japanese one is drastically different and is an insult there) that someone is obsessed with manga, anime, and Japanese video games. They will often collect many versions of Japanese video games, manga, and anime. Many people like myself proudly put this label on themselves.



However the other word "weeaboo" hasn't been around as long and isn't used as much as "otaku" is.



Example of it being used less:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?
q=otaku#message-list

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?
q=weeaboo#message-list



A weeaboo basically is just an otaku that has taken their passion into something more drastic. Basically they start replacing English words such as "Cat" and "Cute" with "Neko" and "Kawaii". They will use these words almost all the time online and offline and abuse them. Also they curse how they aren't Japanese and don't dare to touch stuff such as American video games or watch any American media. "Weeaboo" is an insult because of this. A brief definition is this picture.



I fit in under the otaku group as I'm obsessed with manga, anime, and Japanese video games (I'm not a huge otaku however). However I don't really say Japanese words ever. Heck I can't remember the last time I used a Japanese word. I also play non-Japanese games and watch American media. Plus I don't really find much stuff from Japan amazing.



So which do you consider yourself as?



I've always seen the two definition's differently:

Otaku: someone who has such an unhealthy obsession with something to the point of being manic. They go beyond fandom. These are the type of people on the news that you see marrying their gameboy's because they're in love with a 2D character.


Weeaboo
: a person of non Japanese descent who is obsessed with Japanese culture to the point of ignoring their own, yet fail to know anything about it's history besides the mainstream. Are usually seen annoyingly quoting anime, eating pocky sticks, using the peace sign, failing to use Japanese correctly and butchering it all together, eating raman or sushi and just pissing off sane anime fans in general.

Obviously, you are not an Otaku, since you don't take your obsession with anime to a huge extreme neither are you a Weeaboo.
The word Otaku in Japan is usually negative and Weeaboo being the same. I don't put myself in such categories, I'm just neutral.
Posted 11/24/10
grr IM MAD
4295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Youtube!
Offline
Posted 11/24/10
It's like trying to differ the terms "geek" and "nerd" in that NOBODY CARES.

Seriously. Just be who you are and if people give you stress because of it, they ain't worth the time of day.

And for the record, I don't fit into either "category".
871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / U.S.
Offline
Posted 11/24/10
i used to be one but then i grew up
3160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Seattle, Washington
Offline
Posted 11/24/10

MeidouZangetsuha83 wrote:

Anime fandom has been around for a long time now and these words have come up in popular culture. "Weeaboo" and "Otaku". Many people mix them up or think they mean the same thing.do you think they mean the same thing? And if so, why do you think they mean the same thing?


To me, Otaku means a person who is a fan of and very knowledgable about a particular fandom. Plus, most American adult otakus I've met pursue higher education, are more willing to read and write, are more willing to learn a foreign language, are more willing to accept people who are different from them (including immigrants), and are more willing to travel to foreign countries. Plus some of my past otaku friends willingly put on miltary uniforms and fought against Al Qaeda and the Taliban in Iraq and Afghanistan. In other words, many of the American otakus I've met are defying the world's stereotype of the lazy, uneducated American.

As for "weeaboo" and its cousin term, "Japanophile", those words are vulgar, isolating words intended to make an American anime fans feel un-American and un-patriotic. Plus, those words are used to manipulate an American anime fan to turn away from the very thing that makes them happy. To be honest with you, the only time I've heard the words "Weeaboo" and Japanophile" are from the mouths of white, conservative, fundimentalist Christian Americans and politically conservative Asian foreigners who feel that American anime fans are somehow a threat to their worldview. I know that that statement is probably going to change now that I've posted these words on the Internet because people are going to try to challenge those words.

BTW, pursuing happiness is an important part of being American, so long as nobody gets hurt, of course. Remember the words of the U.S. Declaration of Independance: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS."

If watching anime and listening to J-Pop / J-Rock makes you happy, go for it!
If eating Japanese food makes you happy, go for it!
If replacing the word cute with "kawaii" makes you happy, go for it!

Sometimes I think people have a personal reason why they prefer foreign culture over American culture.

In my case, I'm part Salvadoran. My mom is from El Salvador, Central America, and she was the main influence in my life when I was growing up. Plus her country has alot in common with Japan when it comes to cultural values. Some anthropologists think that Japanese explorers were visiting Central and South America every now and then starting in the Jomon period.

Plus, having grown up in American culture, I'm familliar with every trope and formulated story that is prevalent on American TV and movies. I've outgrown alot of American TV shows very quickly. For example, the Simpsons have been on TV since 1989, and the show became very repeatative after Season 9. Spongbob Squarepants is good for a few laughs, but if you watch that show everyday, you'll start to notice the formula used to write the show. I got bored of that show really quick. The jokes used in Ren & Stimpy are outdated by my generation's standard. The realm of American live action films / shows and Reality TV shows is about the same as the animation shows: They're all copies of previously successful shows.

To me, anime is different because you have shows with themes and ideas that Hollywood won't ever produce because they think the stuff is too complex. There are great dramas like Tegami Bachi and Cowboy Bebop. There are psychological shows like Evangelion. Politically oriented shows like Koizumi, Code Geass, and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. There are shows with universal religious themes like the Full Metal Alchemist series, Jikogu Shoujo, and Death Note. America has yet to produce animated shows with mature themes on the level of the shows I've mentioned in this paragraph. And God help you if you say you want a show with a mature theme in America because Hollywood would interpret "mature theme" as a show full of porn and pointless violence.
13214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44
Offline
Posted 11/25/10

MeidouZangetsuha83 wrote:


garcon wrote:

im neither..im just a japanophile and xenophile


"Weeaboo" is a synonym for "Jananophile" and "Wapanese". Out of all those words, Japanophile sounds the best and doesn't sound as demeaning.

(Sorry for double post)


oh..i love the media culture of japan, but i dont behold the country as the greatest one like those weeabos and wapanese. It's sick to think that way, besides other cultures are interesting too..
16035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Danville Kentucky...
Offline
Posted 11/25/10
I can have weeaboo tenacities but I'm mostly otaku(even have the word tattooed into my arm) Most of the time i want to punch someone in the face for saying weeaboo, because 99% of otaku may seem to be weeabooish at times but then their are plenty of us, who to poliete general society seem strange.

My use of Japanese language most of the time is something along the lines of foul language. But I'm more likely to swear in german or russian
Posted 11/25/10

LosingOrbit wrote:


MeidouZangetsuha83 wrote:

So a few days ago I made this topic on the PlayStation.com forums. http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/Anime-Discussion/quot-Otaku-quot-and-quot-Weeaboo-quot-What-these-words-exactly/td-p/46431710 It later ended up degrading into a flame war due to trolling and me being too pushy trying to make my point across (Mainly to my hate club) that the two words aren't the same and I'm not a "weeaboo". It ended up getting locked due to that. Original opening post from there put here below. Though something I'll add into this, do you think they mean the same thing? And if so, why do you think they mean the same thing?



Anime fandom has been around for a long time now and these words have come up in popular culture. "Weeaboo" and "Otaku". Many people mix them up or think they mean the same thing.



Otaku basically means by it's American definition (The Japanese one is drastically different and is an insult there) that someone is obsessed with manga, anime, and Japanese video games. They will often collect many versions of Japanese video games, manga, and anime. Many people like myself proudly put this label on themselves.



However the other word "weeaboo" hasn't been around as long and isn't used as much as "otaku" is.



Example of it being used less:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?
q=otaku#message-list

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?
q=weeaboo#message-list



A weeaboo basically is just an otaku that has taken their passion into something more drastic. Basically they start replacing English words such as "Cat" and "Cute" with "Neko" and "Kawaii". They will use these words almost all the time online and offline and abuse them. Also they curse how they aren't Japanese and don't dare to touch stuff such as American video games or watch any American media. "Weeaboo" is an insult because of this. A brief definition is this picture.



I fit in under the otaku group as I'm obsessed with manga, anime, and Japanese video games (I'm not a huge otaku however). However I don't really say Japanese words ever. Heck I can't remember the last time I used a Japanese word. I also play non-Japanese games and watch American media. Plus I don't really find much stuff from Japan amazing.



So which do you consider yourself as?



I've always seen the two definition's differently:

Otaku: someone who has such an unhealthy obsession with something to the point of being manic. They go beyond fandom. These are the type of people on the news that you see marrying their gameboy's because they're in love with a 2D character.


Weeaboo
: a person of non Japanese descent who is obsessed with Japanese culture to the point of ignoring their own, yet fail to know anything about it's history besides the mainstream. Are usually seen annoyingly quoting anime, eating pocky sticks, using the peace sign, failing to use Japanese correctly and butchering it all together, eating raman or sushi and just pissing off sane anime fans in general.

Obviously, you are not an Otaku, since you don't take your obsession with anime to a huge extreme neither are you a Weeaboo.
The word Otaku in Japan is usually negative and Weeaboo being the same. I don't put myself in such categories, I'm just neutral.


i am not that bad... but i do prefer to be left alone in solitude sigh who knows maybe I will end up like them some day. "with out the marrying part."
67860 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Colorado, USA
Offline
Posted 11/25/10
The word "weeaboo", whatever its strange origins may be, is clearly intended to be purely derogatory. As such, there is never an appropriate definition to match to it.

Would you say there is a clear time that someone meets the label of "nigger"? Are you comfortable giving a definition as to what constitutes being a "nigger"? I sure am not. Such is the nature of this word too, as with all labels that are a purely derogatory word. That picture too I would discredit.

People also seem to forget that in all societies and plenty far in history, there are people that use words of another language simply because they know them. It's not restricted to english-speakers using limited japanese. It happens in every language, with every language.
Posted 11/25/10
I am neither otaku or weeaboo, as these are originally derogatory terms. All that I am is myself.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.