First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Why should I find any form of comedy worth anything?
Posted 12/1/10 , edited 12/1/10

XxSixpencexX wrote:

sigh..I love you too Dom.

Ouch.

I can see you are in no mood for me, the laughing clown girl..

but I tried,


it seems all you want to do is argue and I can do that quite well, but I won't,

you are too sad.

If I see Puck in my Midsummer's Night Dream I will tell him, Dom said Hey, Whatttsup!

LOL

ps...you cannot stop world hunger with either laughter or downright grumpiness
...you just make yourself sound like a cranky old man
who sat on a pomogranate...

Seriously. (Don't call me Shirley)
Seriously, this is less about you misreading my emotional state. Than yourself not having a sense of humor, because you can't come up with your own original materials. Without yourself sunk down to the level of a condescending clown, you sorry excuse of a poet.

Which BTW, a dead comedian's fake smile(or lack of it) pales in comparison to a community of people overcoming poverty. I'll smile to that.

Don't feel like arguing? Then you should take your own advise and STFU.


miserykitsune wrote:

It can brighten up a dull day.Plus on the whole exercise/stress thing its easier than running about or swimming.It also seems to be a social thing,

Like I've noticed that people only seem to laugh at funny things when their with others,but if alone you don't really laugh as much,even if you find something funny.I've also noticed that whenever something funny happens on TV peple look about to see if others are lauging too.

Or is it just the weirdos I hang about with?
Do you wonder why they didn't find the situation on TV to be "funny" like the rest? Because they don't find the objectionable content to be humorous at all.

Take the movie "Mean Girls" for example, it downplayed bullying into a distorted version of reality, simply for shits and giggles. It's nothing like the realism of bullying in the movie "Pay It Forward". If you want to laugh at something bright and cheerful, then have a care at why do you find something laughable. Remember, you're encouraging others and their actions with your approval in the form of laughter. That's the sociological process behind a laugh.

BTW, whoever run these days? I've got something better to do than just running/swimming.
Posted 12/2/10
Your STFU is a well used trollism.
If you did not feel insecure in your own beliefs you would not feel the need to bandy about useless
insults.

So carry on and make believe you are are a macho bad ass by telling females to shut the f*** ....

that in itself is very funny...be a poser for the unfunny,,,,,,bah humbug!

Frankly my dear, I could give a damn.

LOL
Posted 12/2/10

XxSixpencexX wrote:

Your STFU is a well used trollism.
If you did not feel insecure in your own beliefs you would not feel the need to bandy about useless
insults.

So carry on and make believe you are are a macho bad ass by telling females to shut the f*** ....

that in itself is very funny...be a poser for the unfunny,,,,,,bah humbug!

Frankly my dear, I could give a damn.

LOL
If you claimed that you honestly "could give a damn", then why on Earth would you contradict yourself here that "all you want to do is argue and I can do that quite well, but I won't"? You violated your own logic, and now you're calling me a troll for myself pointing out your flaw?

Please reinstate your disposition, before I request the CR mod to have your troll-baiting comment be removed.

And as a social feminist myself, I find yourself hiding behind your own gender(assuming that you're indeed a woman) to be rather undignified, cowardly, and not to mention selfish. Which I think it's both funny and wrong, when you believed that men can't become feminist themselves through social association, social justice, and sociological process, while your radical feminism only creates more gender inequality among all sexes.

Are we having as much fun as I do? Do you still think that you're funny? Well I do.
Posted 12/2/10
Your wish is my wish...

report me..

that in itself is laughable...

I just want you to be able to find a way to smile...

and not draw first blood on me..

no matter what, I would not tell you to to shut the f*** up.....as I indeed
am a female...and as indeed you told me...

I just pointed out to you that laughter can be good medicine for the body and soul..

and with that.

I go.

always the deadlier of the species...
Posted 12/2/10

XxSixpencexX wrote:

Your wish is my wish...

report me..

that in itself is laughable...

I just want you to be able to find a way to smile...

and not draw first blood on me..

no matter what, I would not tell you to to shut the f*** up.....as I indeed
am a female...and as indeed you told me...

I just pointed out to you that laughter can be good medicine for the body and soul..

and with that.

I go.

always the deadlier of the species
...
Your own silence is the death of yourself, whereas I OTOH only pointed out your contradiction. In the end, your own stubborn and exclusive selfishness is your sole demon, and I'll smile to that when you don't deserve my pity.
Posted 12/2/10
O please please invite me to your pity party!!

Tickle Me Elmo and I are just sitting here listening to Reign of Blood by Slayer and are ready to par-ty Dude. (BYOB)

Seriously, ( won't mention Shirley this time, she left..lol)

Make your authority clear! Give one-word-orders like they are used to speak with dogs and other animals: SIT, STAND, BOW, COMPLY TO ME! Threaten with punishment! Insert MY PITY as needed...

anyway as the cliche crumbles, laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone...

getting the best of me with your words, is like tilting with windmills...

so good try and Sayonara,

(Exit stage left)


Posted 12/2/10 , edited 12/2/10
I'd rather laugh and look like a fool, then to be miserable and feel nothing.
If I didn't learn to laugh, I'd probably be in a insane asylum or five feet under by now.
Learning to laugh at my life and short comings has made me a better person. It has made me humble.
Posted 12/3/10

XxSixpencexX wrote:

O please please invite me to your pity party!!

Tickle Me Elmo and I are just sitting here listening to Reign of Blood by Slayer and are ready to par-ty Dude. (BYOB)

Seriously, ( won't mention Shirley this time, she left..lol)

Make your authority clear! Give one-word-orders like they are used to speak with dogs and other animals: SIT, STAND, BOW, COMPLY TO ME! Threaten with punishment! Insert MY PITY as needed...

anyway as the cliche crumbles, laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone...

getting the best of me with your words, is like tilting with windmills...

so good try and Sayonara,


(Exit stage left)
Why should I treat you as a dog? When I happen to like cats more so than dogs. While yourself OTOH is avoiding my question: why should I as a philosopher find any form of comedy worth anything? When your comical worth comes with a price tag, whereas mine is priceless, because I can simply make fun of your own selfishness and consumerism. I mean come on! You can't even get a load off without battery-powered technology, must be quite lonely with that party of yours.


LosingOrbit wrote:

I'd rather laugh and look like a fool, then to be miserable and feel nothing.
If I didn't learn to laugh, I'd probably be in a insane asylum or five feet under by now.
Learning to laugh at my life and short comings has made me a better person. It has made me humble.
That's self-depicted humor, and I've got something objective to say about that awhile ago:

Think about it, what's so empirically and evolutionary important about the mechanism to understand humor, that natural selection want all of us to have? Well to be frank it allows our brains to enter a mental state that's more acceptable to change. In fact, self-depicted humor is what we do best individually when we admitted to ourselves that we made a mistake, and then we'll move on to change our method because we got the joke, now get over it. Yes, in a sense humor can also act as a mental buffer to lessen the negative impact of mistakes and setbacks.(citation)
However don't just stuck on self-deprecation, otherwise it won't help yourself to make change for the better:

Do not tolerate self-deprecation

Dr. Dorothy Briggs notes in her book, "Your Child's Self-Esteem," that a low self-perception is linked with thoughts of negativity. As more negative phrases are spoken, the lower the perception of self-worth. People with low self-esteem often make comments like, "Well, if I were only a little thinner this wouldn't be a problem," or "I guess it's my fault for just not being better." When your friend makes these comments, respond with a firm, matter-of-fact, "That's not true. I don't want to hear you saying that. I'm serious." Do not coddle or try to sympathize with the negative remarks, as the pity party will only get worse. By incorporating a no-nonsense attitude with your friend's downbeat behavior, she will re-program her mind. By blocking the remarks, she will soon learn to replace those thoughts with a more positive outlook.(citation)
There's a difference between constructive criticism and unrealistic self-deprecation.
Posted 12/3/10
[email protected], this is less about you misreading my emotional state. Than yourself not having a sense of humor, because you can't come up with your own original materials. Without yourself sunk down to the level of a condescending clown, you sorry excuse of a poet.
***************************************************************************************************************************************************

Sixx answers with this.

I am sorry I misread your emotional state Dom...but this thread and forum does NOT say debate, only discussion. I see nothing
that points to debate teams....your original subject matter concerning comedy was slightly confusing and a bit of a paradox....which ever way you
turn Pandora's jar is waiting, troubled words flying out with a turn of the lid.....but yet hope still remains inside.

My original material is stated quite clearly.....laughter reduces stress, illness, chronic fatique, depressive perceptions, IOW it helps the body
regain and renew itself....it is a vital part of life in most cases, I would not expect someone sitting on death row to guffaw night and day or
a POW in some hellish prison to laugh their way through a nightmare ordeal....common sense is a kicker too..excercise and diet play key
roles also, that is agreed.

You said I was a sorry excuse of a poet! ouch again! That really pumps up my volume as I AM a poet....a published one...
I know, you keep a handy dandy crystal ball!!!....for medicinal purposes only, right??

BTW, "Frankly my Dear, I could give a damn." is the last line in Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.... a classic masterpiece...

True, that was not my material...

Smile?

Have a glass of red wine..

The world is a yin yan....and always will be, so dream the impossible dream.





Posted 12/3/10

XxSixpencexX wrote:

[email protected], this is less about you misreading my emotional state. Than yourself not having a sense of humor, because you can't come up with your own original materials. Without yourself sunk down to the level of a condescending clown, you sorry excuse of a poet.
***************************************************************************************************************************************************

Sixx answers with this.

I am sorry I misread your emotional state Dom...but this thread and forum does NOT say debate, only discussion. I see nothing
that points to debate teams....your original subject matter concerning comedy was slightly confusing and a bit of a paradox....which ever way you
turn Pandora's jar is waiting, troubled words flying out with a turn of the lid.....but yet hope still remains inside.

My original material is stated quite clearly.....laughter reduces stress, illness, chronic fatique, depressive perceptions, IOW it helps the body
regain and renew itself
....it is a vital part of life in most cases, I would not expect someone sitting on death row to guffaw night and day or
a POW in some hellish prison to laugh their way through a nightmare ordeal....common sense is a kicker too..excercise and diet play key
roles also, that is agreed.

You said I was a sorry excuse of a poet! ouch again! That really pumps up my volume as I AM a poet....a published one...
I know, you keep a handy dandy crystal ball!!!....for medicinal purposes only, right??

BTW, "Frankly my Dear, I could give a damn." is the last line in Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.... a classic masterpiece...

True, that was not my material...

Smile?

Have a glass of red wine..

The world is a yin yan....and always will be, so dream the impossible dream.
No, it's a debate in the form of you proving the worth of comedy. Just as how I stated in my OP that entertainment is an unnecessary want when it lacks social justice, so your task is to prove that I'm wrong. And no, your entitlement claim as a self-publishing poet doesn't prove anything, when just about anyone can publish their own books electronically. So what's your point?

And the human metabolism is the sole contributor of human health, when laughter had little to do with stress relief. You don't call individuals laughing at their inhumane environment "happy" or "healty", no. But neither is "learned helplessness" a laughing matter.

Finally, your original statement wasn't a form of question, no. You didn't ask me to make my reasoning clear to yourself, so it's you who's now being oxymoron with your confusion claim.
Posted 12/4/10

qweruiop wrote:

My post was deleted? Because I pointed out your non-sequitor fallacy? .....But isn't that what you always do to everyone else?

I'm gonna re-post it one more time just in case it was deleted it by accident the first time. Feel free to delete again if it breaks any of the forum rules or makes you mad or offends you.....or whatever Just let me know the reason why you deleted it.


DomFortress wrote:
Can a joke feed those who are starving to death? No. Then it doesn't provide social justice because it's an unessential want, not a social need.


As I stated in my last post, it is absolutely fallacious to conclude that comedy is an unessential want from the premise that it can't feed the starving. My counterexample was Oxygen; it cannot feed the starving but it is most definitely a necessity. You may or may not be right that comedy is an unessential want (depending on who for) but you cannot conclude it from your given premise. Here is your argument simplified so that all can understand and learn from your fallacy:


Implicit premise: If something can save the starving, then it is necessary for survival.

Stated premise: Comedy cannot save the starving.

__________________________________________________________________

Conclusion: Therefore comedy is not necessary for survival.


The logical form is:

If A then B
Not A
--------------
Not B


While the conclusion can indeed be false, this cannot be linked to the premise since the statement is a non sequitur. This is called denying the antecedent.

I'm sure you of all people know what a non sequitur fallacy is without me having to post a link to it, right?
You wanna know the reason why your last post got deleted? Simple: you didn't challenge my pretext of proving the worth of comedy with social justice, instead you played "straw man" and turned this debate into your personal vendetta against me. That broke the CR ED forum rule of yourself ranting off topic.

BTW, oxygen is a part of the equation of feeding the hungry, because human metabolism need both oxygen and food in order to fuel its photosynthesis, that's the basic of bio-electric energy for carbon-based life forms. However, since humans cannot produce oxygen on their own, it's thereby an essential need that cannot be provided by humanity, but by plants. So oxygen itself is incapable of generating social justice, but we humans own it to ourselves to protect and provide plant lives on Earth. Because they nourished all animals on Earth with what they do.
Posted 12/4/10
to me comdey realizes stress and takes my mind off the things bothering me at that time. It helps forget about the bad and only think about the good and lighter side of life. This is just me anyways.
3336 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Trudging on throu...
Offline
Posted 12/4/10 , edited 12/4/10

DomFortress wrote:


qweruiop wrote:

My post was deleted? Because I pointed out your non-sequitor fallacy? .....But isn't that what you always do to everyone else?

I'm gonna re-post it one more time just in case it was deleted it by accident the first time. Feel free to delete again if it breaks any of the forum rules or makes you mad or offends you.....or whatever Just let me know the reason why you deleted it.


DomFortress wrote:
Can a joke feed those who are starving to death? No. Then it doesn't provide social justice because it's an unessential want, not a social need.


As I stated in my last post, it is absolutely fallacious to conclude that comedy is an unessential want from the premise that it can't feed the starving. My counterexample was Oxygen; it cannot feed the starving but it is most definitely a necessity. You may or may not be right that comedy is an unessential want (depending on who for) but you cannot conclude it from your given premise. Here is your argument simplified so that all can understand and learn from your fallacy:


Implicit premise: If something can save the starving, then it is necessary for survival.

Stated premise: Comedy cannot save the starving.

__________________________________________________________________

Conclusion: Therefore comedy is not necessary for survival.


The logical form is:

If A then B
Not A
--------------
Not B


While the conclusion can indeed be false, this cannot be linked to the premise since the statement is a non sequitur. This is called denying the antecedent.

I'm sure you of all people know what a non sequitur fallacy is without me having to post a link to it, right?
You wanna know the reason why your last post got deleted? Simple: you didn't challenge my pretext of proving the worth of comedy with social justice, instead you played "straw man" and turned this debate into your personal vendetta against me. That broke the CR ED forum rule of yourself ranting off topic.

BTW, oxygen is a part of the equation of feeding the hungry, because human metabolism need both oxygen and food in order to fuel its photosynthesis, that's the basic of bio-electric energy for carbon-based life forms. However, since humans cannot produce oxygen on their own, it's thereby an essential need that cannot be provided by humanity, but by plants. So oxygen itself is incapable of generating social justice, but we humans own it to ourselves to protect and provide plant lives on Earth. Because they nourished all animals on Earth with what they do.



Please note that my post did not commit a straw man fallacy and is indeed on topic because it proves the invalidity of your original argument: comedy is worthless. (Don't confuse this with the truth-value). If the argument form is invalid (which I illustrated above) then the particular instance you provided is invalid as well...but I'm sure you already know this, right?

It seems to me that you are digging yourself into a deeper hole....Oxygen is not food. Therefore it cannot feed us.
Also I'm no biologist but I think you are mistaking photosynthesis for respiration.

Also just know that even if my counterexample was wrong, it still wouldn't make your argument form valid. In order to make this argument valid you must first restate your premises.


EDIT :

I decided that I'll share my views on the topic as well since I don't want to break any forum rules...


I think comedy is necessary to certain people at certain times. It could be capable of changing one's mindset for the better thus preventing them from committing suicide. Nevertheless, it could also change one's mindset for the worse and drive them to commit suicide. So at certain times to certain people, it may be necessary.



Posted 12/4/10 , edited 12/4/10

PaladianCecil213 wrote:

to me comdey realizes stress and takes my mind off the things bothering me at that time. It helps forget about the bad and only think about the good and lighter side of life. This is just me anyways.
Then how's that different than yourself escaping from reality using entertainment? What's not to say that your form of comedy is thereby worthless because of who you are as a quitter?


qweruiop wrote:




Please note that my post did not commit a straw man fallacy and is indeed on topic because it proves the invalidity of your original argument: comedy is worthless. (Don't confuse this with the truth-value). If the argument form is invalid (which I illustrated above) then the particular instance you provided is invalid as well...but I'm sure you already know this, right?

It seems to me that you are digging yourself into a deeper hole....Oxygen is not food. Therefore it cannot feed us.
Also I'm no biologist but I think you are mistaking photosynthesis for respiration.

Also just know that even if my counterexample was wrong, it still wouldn't make your argument form valid. In order to make this argument valid you must first restate your premises.


EDIT :

I decided that I'll share my views on the topic as well since I don't want to break any forum rules...


I think comedy is necessary to certain people at certain times. It could be capable of changing one's mindset for the better thus preventing them from committing suicide. Nevertheless, it could also change one's mindset for the worse and drive them to commit suicide. So at certain times to certain people, it may be necessary.
If you're uncertain about both biology and human metabolic system, then your suspicion was invalid due to your lack of proof. Your lack of premise is just as unclear as what's the (A) or (B) of my premise that you failed to illustrate. So what's your point? Other than yourself didn't even bother to explain your own lack of understanding.

I asked you to provide exact proof of just how entertainment can generate social justice, but instead of yourself giving categorical evidence, you made hypothetical claim. Without yourself stating a clear and distinct premise of just what kind of comedy made by which kind of people can be of necessary social justice.
Posted 12/4/10


so you don't have any comedy or jokes in your life at all?? I find that hard to believe or to be boring, life is just boring with out some fourm of laughter or comedy to lighten or cheer people up.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.