Comic Book Retailer Murdered
24160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Atlanta
Offline
Posted 12/3/10
Kenneth McClure's life unraveled in the weeks after he was charged with statutory rape, relatives say.

He held a gun to his head when police came to arrest him at his comic book shop last month, triggering a three-hour standoff.

He recently gave up his store to his nephew, planned to sell his prized Chevy Camaro and drew thousands from his retirement nest egg to pay his bail and legal defense, relatives say.

On Tuesday morning, McClure didn't show up for a routine court appearance in the rape case. He was found dead later that day.

Police said he was murdered, but they aren't saying who they think killed him or why. And now detectives are asking for the public's help in finding the killer.

McClure's nephew suspects he might have been killed out of retaliation in the rape case.

"I definitely don't think it was a random act," said Everett "Sonny" McClure III, 30, of St. Louis.

McClure, 57, who ran the Legends Comics & Cards shop for two decades, was found shot to death Tuesday about three hours after his scheduled 9 a.m. court hearing.

Police found his body at the Route 66 State Park near where Interstate 44 crosses the Meramec River.

McClure was involved in a standoff with police Oct. 28 when officers came to arrest him at the comic book shop at 5850 Hampton Avenue on charges of statutory rape, assault and unlawful use of a weapon. He later surrendered to police and was charged with resisting arrest.

He was free on bail.

"What took his strength was him being labeled as something he is not," his nephew said. "That pretty much destroyed his life."

Kenneth McClure had called his lawyer, Jim Pree, about 15 minutes after his 9 a.m. hearing was scheduled to start Tuesday, to report car trouble. When he didn't show, Judge Michael Stelzer issued a warrant for his arrest.

"This is the first time I was waiting for a client and I found out he was murdered while I was waiting," Pree said.

Police spent Wednesday tracking links to McClure's black 1992 Chevrolet Camaro IROC seen leaving the park after shots were fired there about 12:30 p.m. Tuesday. The stolen car was found about 6 a.m. Wednesday near Ohio Avenue and Juniata Street.

The charges against McClure stem from alleged sexual encounters with a 13-year-old girl between June 2008 and June 2009. According to court documents, he was accused of having sex with the girl, pointing a gun at her, and hitting her in the back with a back scratcher and a fly swatter. The incidents allegedly took place at the comic book shop, where he lived in the basement.

Pree called McClure was the "nicest guy you'd want to meet." He said his client professed his "absolute complete innocence" in the rape case.

Sonny McClure said his uncle gave him the comics shop Friday and had withdrawn thousands from his retirement savings to post bail and for his legal defense.

He said the last time he spoke to his uncle was shortly after Tuesday's hearing should have started.

Sonny McClure assumed his uncle was calling from the courthouse when McClure told his nephew to stop by the shop and check on why its burglar system had been tripped that morning.

After arriving, Sonny McClure said he found a handwritten note from his uncle instructing him to sell the Camaro. Its last line read, "Love you stay strong for me."

"I feel like I got cheated out of my goodbye," his nephew said. "To get the last chance to say goodbye, to say how I felt."

Police questioned him about his uncle's death for nine hours Tuesday at St. Louis County police headquarters in Clayton, Sonny McClure said.

Kenneth McClure sold cars for about 10 years after attending Southwest High School, relatives said. He opened the store 20 years ago. Relatives said he also played pool and foosball competitively. They described him as a "hard-edged," "common sense" guy unafraid to speak his mind.

Police are asking anyone with information about the killing to call 314-889-2341 or CrimeStoppers at 1-866-371-TIPS.

Police say they have arrested and released two people in the shooting death Tuesday of Kenneth McClure, 57, a St. Louis comic book shop owner.

Police said Thursday that officers arrested a man, 32, and a woman, 25, of St. Louis about 12:30 a.m. Wednesday, and presented the case to the St. Louis County Prosecutor's Office. Police arrested the pair, applied for warrants for first-degree murder and released them while prosecutors review the case.

McClure's nephew, Everett "Sonny" McClure, said the woman was one of his uncle's girlfriends who lived with the male suspect in St. Louis.

On Thursday afternoon, no one answered the door of the suspects' St. Louis apartment. Several neighbors said they didn't know the suspects.
Posted 12/3/10
There was nothing random about this in incident. Seems like a definate retaliation.
Posted 12/3/10
This is what you get for trying to lead an honest life.
Posted 12/3/10
Lol.
Comic Book Guy.
Posted 12/3/10
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2010/10/kenneth_mcclure_comic_shop_owner_charged_with_rape.php

I'm not a fan of judging based on appearance.
But fuck!
You gotta find that rapist-like.
15352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Insert Tampon Here.
Offline
Posted 12/3/10

Mr_Entropy wrote:

This is what you get for trying to lead an honest life.


haha xD Trophy xD I feel this compelling desire to bother you with my quoted posts.
15352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Insert Tampon Here.
Offline
Posted 12/3/10

GheyDeer wrote:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2010/10/kenneth_mcclure_comic_shop_owner_charged_with_rape.php

I'm not a fan of judging based on appearance.
But fuck!
You gotta find that rapist-like.


Wait, what? So you think he needs to be arrested because he looks like a rapist?
Posted 12/3/10

PhoungSeppuku wrote:


GheyDeer wrote:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2010/10/kenneth_mcclure_comic_shop_owner_charged_with_rape.php

I'm not a fan of judging based on appearance.
But fuck!
You gotta find that rapist-like.


Wait, what? So you think he needs to be arrested because he looks like a rapist?


Now where exactly do I say that he should be arrested?

Are you not merely self-projecting your own thoughts onto me?

Shame on you.
15352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Insert Tampon Here.
Offline
Posted 12/3/10

GheyDeer wrote:


PhoungSeppuku wrote:


GheyDeer wrote:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2010/10/kenneth_mcclure_comic_shop_owner_charged_with_rape.php

I'm not a fan of judging based on appearance.
But fuck!
You gotta find that rapist-like.


Wait, what? So you think he needs to be arrested because he looks like a rapist?


Now where exactly do I say that he should be arrested?

Are you not merely self-projecting your own thoughts onto me?

Shame on you.


Shame on me for mis-paraphrasing.

"Wait, what? So you think he needs to be found because he looks like a rapist?"
Posted 12/3/10

PhoungSeppuku wrote:


GheyDeer wrote:


PhoungSeppuku wrote:


GheyDeer wrote:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2010/10/kenneth_mcclure_comic_shop_owner_charged_with_rape.php

I'm not a fan of judging based on appearance.
But fuck!
You gotta find that rapist-like.


Wait, what? So you think he needs to be arrested because he looks like a rapist?


Now where exactly do I say that he should be arrested?

Are you not merely self-projecting your own thoughts onto me?

Shame on you.


Shame on me for mis-paraphrasing.

"Wait, what? So you think he needs to be found because he looks like a rapist?"

Now where exactly do I say that he should be found?

Are you not merely self-projecting your own thoughts onto me?

Shame on you.
15352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Insert Tampon Here.
Offline
Posted 12/3/10 , edited 12/3/10

GheyDeer wrote:



Found is the past participle of find.
Posted 12/3/10

PhoungSeppuku wrote:


GheyDeer wrote:



Found is the past participle of find.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/find
Definition #9.

Btw, he's dead.
They have his body.
Why would I be talking about physically finding?
19857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
69 / M / Limbo
Offline
Posted 12/3/10
Maybe the piece of jail-bait ass he "raped" offed him after he didn't give her the copy of action comic #1 he probably promised her in exchange for sexual favors.
15352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Insert Tampon Here.
Offline
Posted 12/4/10

GheyDeer wrote:


PhoungSeppuku wrote:


GheyDeer wrote:



Found is the past participle of find.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/find
Definition #9.

Btw, he's dead.
They have his body.
Why would I be talking about physically finding?

WHy would you? O.o
53669 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/4/10
It was victor doom your honor. It was clear as day in episode 457 of the paradox frizem
You must be logged in to post.