First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Qualifications for a "good" anime
632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 12/14/10

Ngastolemyname wrote:

This is more about bitching at eachother because of a sentence that offended someone to the extent of creating bullshit over it which clearly became off-topic and was irelevant.


You do have a point there. I need to realize who I'm arguing with before I actually start arguing with them. And like you said. It's irrelevant so I'm out.
434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / America
Offline
Posted 12/15/10
Has to have a good twist
Has to have some fighting
Has to have some comedy
Has to have at least 30 episodes
has to have good starter song and music

So far the only good Anime I've found are:
Fairytail
Bleach
Naruto
Full Metal Alchemist
Inuyasha
17683 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Moon
Offline
Posted 12/15/10

Doomknight7 wrote:

Has to have a good twist
Has to have some fighting
Has to have some comedy
Has to have at least 30 episodes
has to have good starter song and music

So far the only good Anime I've found are:
Fairytail
Bleach
Naruto
Full Metal Alchemist
Inuyasha



those are the requirement for good shounen anime , Baccano is only 13 episodes and i can guarantee it's way better then most other anime .
46492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Montreal, Canada
Offline
Posted 12/15/10
Baccano, Elfen Lied, why are those animes so overated? I saw them but couldn't get the hype people claim they had, not saying they sucked but not good to the point to fall off my chair after seeing it.
1190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Seoul
Offline
Posted 12/15/10 , edited 12/15/10

Ngastolemyname wrote:

Baccano, Elfen Lied, why are those animes so overated? I saw them but couldn't get the hype people claim they had, not saying they sucked but not good to the point to fall off my chair after seeing it.

Here's my opinions on your thoughts:


On topic:

My qualifications for a good anime are pretty complicated for me to explain as a set stone since there are some series which defy some of my standards and still turn out to be great, but here's what I'd look for in general for anime:

1. Characters who are well developed, or at least have an interesting personality, and a mind that they can actually think and act for themselves independently. They should also have some sort of presence or distinguishable features that can leave an impression on me, even as a minor or a supportive character. I'd want a character that I can relate to, or at least sympathize with, which are mostly the characters who actually do or say something that is complete bullshit. Characters with angst are fine by me, but the ones who whine about it enough to make him/her pathetic isn't really the way I'd like to see.

2. Plots aren't necessarily a driving factor for a good anime, but if there is one, I'll be expecting it to be established well, with the appropriate pacing and an ending that is earned by the characters while leaving little to no unresolved questions, rather than solved conveniently by some sort of Deus ex Machina (although I have little to no objections with Diabolus ex Machina).

3. If there's a social commentary or a recurring theme in a premise, it should be powerful or significant enough to at least leave some sort of impression on me. Otherwise it just becomes a wasted effort.

4. Use of Chekhov's Gun or witty red herrings are effectively if used correctly, but mistimed or badly explained ones can lead to a massive plotquake or drop an atomic bomb on the whole show.

5. This applies mostly to slice-of-life series, which have very little to no plot whatsoever, should at least be able to cover every unresolved or unexplained things well, arguably even more than the ones with a plot before concluding, as the majority of the flaws of a slice-of-life series comes from its ending.

6. Animations and aesthetics should be good in most cases, but atypical animation styles should be only used to give a more powerful impact on the audience or as to give an appropriate style for the settings, plot and themes.
46492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Montreal, Canada
Offline
Posted 12/15/10 , edited 12/15/10
I guess the word overrated wasn't the best word to explain it but we'll stick with the hype, and I based my thoughts on Elfen Lied based on the anime which may differ a lot from the manga itself. As of Baccano, I would simply say that it had rather interesting characters but was packed into a very small amount of episodes, maybe my thoughts of the anime would have been different if it had at least 24-26 episodes but yet again, that is based on the anime, not the manga/novel. As of Durarara!! It was quite a show but a slow progress on the story and everything was packed together at the end.
47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 12/15/10 , edited 12/15/10
For me, all it has to do is exceed in its genre. Nothing more, nothing less.

Like for a comedy anime....all I need to do is laugh, I dont need no plot development or anything like that.

For a romance anime.....all I need is that juicy romance stuff....however generally plot development and character development go hand in hand with romance.....so thats that.

Shounen.....when I speak of shounen....all Im talking about is battling anime....and the only battling animes I watch are mainly the top 4 shounen out there....One Piece...Shippuden.....Fairy Tail.....Bleach. Those are excellent in what they do.

Slice of Life.....now this is easy.....its practically impossible to have a Slice of Life anime that fails.....Slice of Life comedies are definitely my favorite genres of anime.....with Slice of Life animes....you dont need no great storytelling....no plot development....just the characters doing what they usually do on a daily basis. Take Hidamari Sketch for example. Probably the best example of a Slice of Life comedy there is. AT the moment, Im watching Soredemo machi Wa Mawatteiru...and its fitting the role perfectly.

So all in all.....the animes qualifications for me is that it just does what its genre is supposed to do. Thats all.

If its a comedy I must laugh. Its a romance my heartstrings must be twisted. If its a shounen I must get excited. If its a Slice of Life then I must get that relaxed feeling. If its a drama then I must have my heartstrings raped and cry mentally.
798 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Iowa
Offline
Posted 12/15/10

HirakuNoShadow wrote:


Ngastolemyname wrote:

Baccano, Elfen Lied, why are those animes so overated? I saw them but couldn't get the hype people claim they had, not saying they sucked but not good to the point to fall off my chair after seeing it.

Here's my opinions on your thoughts:


On topic:

My qualifications for a good anime are pretty complicated for me to explain as a set stone since there are some series which defy some of my standards and still turn out to be great, but here's what I'd look for in general for anime:

1. Characters who are well developed, or at least have an interesting personality, and a mind that they can actually think and act for themselves independently. They should also have some sort of presence or distinguishable features that can leave an impression on me, even as a minor or a supportive character. I'd want a character that I can relate to, or at least sympathize with, which are mostly the characters who actually do or say something that is complete bullshit. Characters with angst are fine by me, but the ones who whine about it enough to make him/her pathetic isn't really the way I'd like to see.

2. Plots aren't necessarily a driving factor for a good anime, but if there is one, I'll be expecting it to be established well, with the appropriate pacing and an ending that is earned by the characters while leaving little to no unresolved questions, rather than solved conveniently by some sort of Deus ex Machina (although I have little to no objections with Diabolus ex Machina).

3. If there's a social commentary or a recurring theme in a premise, it should be powerful or significant enough to at least leave some sort of impression on me. Otherwise it just becomes a wasted effort.

4. Use of Chekhov's Gun or witty red herrings are effectively if used correctly, but mistimed or badly explained ones can lead to a massive plotquake or drop an atomic bomb on the whole show.

5. This applies mostly to slice-of-life series, which have very little to no plot whatsoever, should at least be able to cover every unresolved or unexplained things well, arguably even more than the ones with a plot before concluding, as the majority of the flaws of a slice-of-life series comes from its ending.

6. Animations and aesthetics should be good in most cases, but atypical animation styles should be only used to give a more powerful impact on the audience or as to give an appropriate style for the settings, plot and themes.


You totally get what I meant! These are characteristics that I think if everyone followed when creating anime and manga I wouldn't have to sort through so much crap to find something good out there. And thank you for defending Elfen Lied I really thought it was an awesome anime.
Posted 12/15/10
I honestly don't know. Right now the answer I'm leaning towards is that I have low standards and no taste at all. I have yet to run into something that disappoints me. I mean I've had my doubts on anime, but I always seem to end up really enjoying everything I watch.
42065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth
Offline
Posted 12/15/10
I like animes that are funny, but not overdoing it to the point where I don't even wanna laugh; cool and admirable characters (none of those silly damsel in distress that are helpless and can't do anything); an original (or at least a twist in the plot to where it IS original) storyine; one, slightly mentally unstable main antagonist like Izaya in Durarara (kinda joking on this qualification. Sorta); and something kawaii has to be included somewhere. Like nekomimis in Moon Phase, or the cat emblem in Lucky Star.
Posted 12/17/10
it has to have an a impact on me or just be memorable, you know one of those series that you want to re-watch over and over agian like tri-gun
88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/18/10 , edited 12/18/10
For the sake of this thread, I'm going to consider "good" as referring to top class animes, otherwise too many would fit into the range... By top class I mean animes I would count in the top 10-20% of animes I've seen, or animes I rate 8+. To me, the most important features that differentiates good animes from bad ones are:

1. Pacing must not be too fast. This doesn't necessarily only mean rushed animes, but also includes animes that simply move too fast without being rushed like FMA: Brotherhood. This is often the cause of poor character development and lower levels of enjoyment. Slow pacing is fine.

2. If the anime is plot-based, the plot must not be completely straight forward. Animes with a simple goal are fine, but they should be combined with interesting side plots (like in Katanagatari). Basically, if I can sum up the main plot in less than 10 words and there's no side plots, I wouldn't call it good (for example Ookami Kakushi, Shiki).

3. In general, it should have at least 24 episodes. This isn't exactly a requirement, but I personally don't feel that 13 episodes is enough to tell a good story with a decent amount of character development while not being rushed. Of course there are some exceptions (mostly comedies), but they aren't too common.

4. The anime should have a good OP. While this may not look like much, it greatly affects my enjoyment of series. In all seriousness I can't name any TV animes that I consider really good which have a bad opening.

I would list stuff like character development and enjoyment of a series, but they are usually the result of other qualities rather than an individual quality.

For the record, I hardly care about animation quality at all. And that includes action sequences.
bhl88 
75211 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/18/10
Good pacing, good character development, good story/plot, has a character you can understand (won't work all the time)
9980 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 12/18/10 , edited 12/18/10
For me...
1. Comedy. (Gintama)
2. Some action. (Gintama)
3. No bullshit cliches. (omfg the list will never end)
4. Good graphics...
5. For the love of god NO MORE SUPER Ecchi loli.. (2008- present... = 99.99999% of the animes are ecchis)
6. No Tumor boobs...
7. No mindfuckers like Evangelion... well it was good tho...
8. No elementary school as main characters or anime based.. Those kiddies animes.. srlsy who watch em?.
9. Moderate pace... (holy... Bakuman!! i hate the manga and anime!!! it was so fricking slow and uncreative, there was no motivation THEY ONLY WON ONCE and went downhill for like 40 chapters.... Damn i regret reading 80 chapters...)
1190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Seoul
Offline
Posted 12/18/10

AsianRobot wrote: You totally get what I meant! These are characteristics that I think if everyone followed when creating anime and manga I wouldn't have to sort through so much crap to find something good out there. And thank you for defending Elfen Lied I really thought it was an awesome anime.

Defending Elfen Lied would be an overstatement, because I'm somewhat dissatisfied with some parts of the series, but I'm just saying that it has some redeeming qualities that sets it apart from more recent ecchi crap these days with no element whatsoever. It's certainly not a masterpiece, but at least there was some light of redemption from it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.