First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Marvel Boycotted by White Supremacists
Posted 12/19/10 , edited 12/19/10

AshRandom wrote:


LosingOrbitSo you're justifying a group of people who're not only known for murder and other atrocities, but spreading ignorance and intolerance? But look, they're boycotting! Obviously, one non-violent act makes up for all the times that they didn't, right? Yep, noting baffling about your logic there.


If you don't value the path of peace, you seek the path of war.

Why don't you admit what you really want, to yourself at least. You don't want peace. You want blood. I've heard a lot of extremists talk like you. Paint their enemies as "unforgivable." There's no difference between you and them. You're just as unenlightened as they are and you'll get just as far as they do - NOWHERE.


Wow...

...What wonderful perception you have. Why, you just read me like a book didn't you?

Tell me, since you're so obviously "the smartest person evar," explain to me where you got such spot on details of a person's character? The school of e-psychology?

Lol, take two, sweetie.
No. The actual problem I have here--snort-- which you might find hard to believe, is that I don't promote, justify, agree with, nor tolerate stupidity in any way, shape, or form.

So unless you don't have anything else important to add to the conversation, I suggest you leave my thread.
29 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/10
2 points i want to make
1. Cleopatra was white well Mediterranean anyway she was Greek and not Egyptian so whatever
2. Avatar sucked because M.Night made it and casted that's not racism that's a self pompous jackass who thinks cause he had a good twist a decade and a half ago he can take others material and make it better and a little racist
Posted 12/19/10 , edited 12/19/10
I don't see were there wrong in wanting some accuracy but I doubt that this is the first time stuff like this has happened in Hollywood. Nuff said. If it were me and I was a fan it wouldn't stop me from watching any adaptation of my favorite character, even if a major change was made to the story, I even watch any spin offs series made for the minor characters.
30948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/19/10

AshRandom wrote:


LosingOrbitSo you're justifying a group of people who're not only known for murder and other atrocities, but spreading ignorance and intolerance? But look, they're boycotting! Obviously, one non-violent act makes up for all the times that they didn't, right? Yep, noting baffling about your logic there.


If you don't value the path of peace, you seek the path of war.

Why don't you admit what you really want, to yourself at least. You don't want peace. You want blood. I've heard a lot of extremists talk like you. Paint their enemies as "unforgivable." There's no difference between you and them. You're just as unenlightened as they are and you'll get just as far as they do - NOWHERE.


The sheer hypocrisy of you calling LosingOrbit an extremist after you wrote that garbage blows me away.
1048 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
66
Offline
Posted 12/19/10

GheyDeer wrote:

Well, you never see a white guy play a black guy.
At least not in the present.

And that tropic thunder shit doesn't count.


i guess you never heard of the movie soul man.
Posted 12/19/10

AshRandom wrote:


LosingOrbit Yet do you also know that Heimdall was born from nine giantesses at the edge of the world thousands of years before human beings ever inhabited Europe? He is not bound to human genetics. They're only boycotting because of the fact that he's black.


You don't have much of a leg to stand on when he's actually called the white god. I laughed so hard when I googled the name and wiki showed the exact trasnlation right at the top of the page. I was like omfg he is the white god!! No wonder why they're pissed off.

BTW: I'm Persian, I don't have an interest in defending either side. And seriously, maybe you shouldn't complain, at least they're being non-violent in their approach. I'm almost proud of those douche bag supremacists.


Did you see the movie 300 and prince of Persia... I don't recall any Persians in that movie playing the role of Persians... Its something Hollywood does and frankly its creative.. and by the way don't worry I'm also Persian, so I'm also attaching my two sense into the topic.

There are many characters in marvel that have changed their nationality... example Nick Fury.
Posted 12/20/10

orange_advan wrote:


GheyDeer wrote:

Well, you never see a white guy play a black guy.
At least not in the present.

And that tropic thunder shit doesn't count.


i guess you never heard of the movie soul man.


I guess you never read "At least not in the present".
Off111 
60574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Behind you
Offline
Posted 12/20/10 , edited 12/20/10
I don't really see an issue with casting someone of any color, IF there is any doubt as to the characters looks.
But this is just pure and simple silly casting. Even on Marvels own website he is depicted as being a slightly haggard white guy. Personally i don't give a shit either way, but that is because i don't care about the movie. But for the people wanting accuracy this is terrible.
For people into Norse mythology or even the Marvel comics, this might ruin the immersion completely.
There is a reason white people did not play Kunta Kinte, Storm from x-men or Warmachine from Iron Man.
You can argue that white people have played people of other races in the past. But at one point all female roles were also played by men, because women weren't allowed on stage.

White supremacist are always going to moan about black people, i don't really pay attention to that.
But i can understand a legion of comicbook nerds and mythology buffs crying about this.


However, there is a second side to this. Nick Fury, played by Samuel L Jackson in Iron Man 2. Was a white as snow caucasian from the 60's all the way up to Ultimate Marvel Universe some 40+ years later where they suddenly re-vamped him in to Sam Jackson. So it wouldn't be the first time Marvel has done this. Personally i love Sam Jackson. But again, i was never into the comic books.


Like i said, i really don't care personally. I'm just surprised Marvel hasn't made an attempt to justify the casting.
Posted 12/20/10

Off111 wrote:




However, there is a second side to this. Nick Fury, played by Samuel L Jackson in Iron Man 2. Was a white as snow caucasian from the 60's all the way up to Ultimate Marvel Universe some 40+ years later where they suddenly re-vamped him in to Sam Jackson. So it wouldn't be the first time Marvel has done this. Personally i love Sam Jackson. But again, i was never into the comic books.


Like i said, i really don't care personally. I'm just surprised Marvel hasn't made an attempt to justify the casting.


Actually it wasn't due to Samuel Jackson's role as Nick Fury in the Iron Man movie. I remember the cartoons in the 90s were already showing a black Fury.

Off111 
60574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Behind you
Offline
Posted 12/20/10 , edited 12/20/10

AdamIdris101 wrote:

Actually it wasn't due to Samuel Jackson's role as Nick Fury in the Iron Man movie. I remember the cartoons in the 90s were already showing a black Fury.



I suggest you read that post again. Before you try to correct me.
Posted 12/20/10

Off111 wrote:


AdamIdris101 wrote:

Actually it wasn't due to Samuel Jackson's role as Nick Fury in the Iron Man movie. I remember the cartoons in the 90s were already showing a black Fury.



I suggest you read that post again. Before you try to correct me.


I'm sorry to seem like I'm jibing you but I still think your explanation was omitting the information I said otherwise I wouldn't post what I did. I read it again and I still think you left that out.

Posted 12/20/10
I know how we can beat this!

have all the racial minorities boycott Marvel as well, to prove that whites aren't the only ones who can boycott!

Off111 
60574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Behind you
Offline
Posted 12/20/10

AdamIdris101 wrote:

I'm sorry to seem like I'm jibing you but I still think your explanation was omitting the information I said otherwise I wouldn't post what I did. I read it again and I still think you left that out.



First appeared in early 60's; white dude.

Cover from 68.

Page off jan 85.

Nick Furys first appareance as an african american is in august of 2001. Modeled on actor Sam Jackson. With the actors permission. So no, you did not see him as black in the 90's.

I left nothing out.
Posted 12/20/10
You seem confident that I'm erroneous somewhere. I'm wearing a smirk and grin within my bossom.



The Incredible Hulk (1996) animation had a black Nick Fury well before that 2001 comic based on Sam Jackson's likeness. Ergo I am correct and you omitted that out.
Off111 
60574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Behind you
Offline
Posted 12/20/10 , edited 12/20/10
There is no record of Nick Fury ever having appeared or being voiced in that series. S.H.I.E.L.D was there however.

Who you have there is most likely Warchine.
Notice the lack of eyepatch.

Although i never watched that series.
There is no record of Nick Fury appearing in The Hulk animated series. Even on IMDB there is a list including all the animated series. Nothing about what you mention.
Both IMDB and wikipedia would suggest you are wrong.


And "omitted out"? If you are going to use fancy words. Atleast learn how to use them properly.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.