First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Oversexualization of female characters
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 12/29/10 , edited 12/29/10


You are the most hilarious one dimensional thinker I have ever talked to on this website.
You are defending women by promoting Tyranny. Good job.

Do you want to know why men prefer to see women as sexual objects... Hmm... Let me see if I can break this down for you... IT'S BECAUSE WE ARE MEN! Men want to see women as sexual objects, it's built into out DNA as defense mechanism for the sake of procreation so that the species does not die out. Men need a reason to want to have sex with women, thus attractiveness plays very heavily in this aspect. Women need to be convinced to have sex, which is why men need that sexual need in the first place, to provide the reasoning to actually persuade the woman into fornication.

YOU CAN'T HOLD ANY INDUSTRY FOR BLAME AS TO WHAT SOCIETY WANTS. People want what people want. You can not force somebody to do something that they do not want. Where you are making your mistake is the concept that Industry is using it's influence on pop culture to convince somebody that they want something. The problem is that Media does not create pop culture. Society makes pop culture. The industry reacts to it by finding ways to profit from pop culture by promoting it's continuation through products. Now if that aspect of pop culture is a heavy enough influence on what society considers entertaining, then the product that Industry provides will be able to grow and influence more people. People buy things that other cool people buy. Once again, society wants what society wants. Industry just provides the product. THAT IS ALL!

The anime industry provides imagery of women in that fashion because...ugh... I am so tired of saying this over and over again. It's what sells. Sex sells. Sex sells. Men want sexual content in their anime. That's what they want and Industry is providing it for us.

You should try learning human psychology and economics outside of college, where there is little to know socialistic or communistic influence, maybe you'll actually learn something about how the world works.
Posted 12/29/10
LMAO I'm tyrannical? Have I said it should be outlawed? But I'm sure glad you've finally answered the question on why men enjoy seeing women as sexual objects. Here's another one for you: isn't is possible to have sex in anime without having the female be like some kind of programmed horny robot?

You're really hostile you know and you're making yourself look bad. I see that the concept of the media is too difficult for you to understand, so I won't waste any more time on you. Thanks for proving my point on how defensive men get when this subject is raised.
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 12/29/10

LosingOrbit wrote:



Yet isn't it still her opinion? Of course, that doesn't make it automatically right. Tell me, who exactly is she oppressing with her opinion? How is she being tyrannical or unreasonably burdensome? Certainly it's not to you or anyone else. Either way, I see it as both parties influencing each other. One because of greed and the other because of lust; there isn't just one guilty party. All of society doesn't want to see smut, but unfortunately the majority do.

I understand the "sex sells" part, but frankly it's overdone.




Oh my god...
Okay, So if we were dealing in legal terms her opinion is what is called a basis for attack. This is what is commonly used in a normal argument as a rebuttal to a previous statement. This means that although it is her "opinion", it is an attack to prompt the next rebuttal in the argument. Rebuttals are used for the purpose of proving the previous statement wrong in promotion of her statement as the known correct one. Thus she is inquiring to everyone capable of listening to her rebuttal that her statement is the correct one until she is challenged once more by another rebuttal that questions her previous statements point/integrity as a proper answer. Her opinion is an attack towards thew main point which is what sparks a proper argument.
Welcome to the wonderful world of arguing where opinions actually MEAN SOMETHING.

Yes you will never get an opposed argument out of me about sex being overdone. I think it is very overdone, but people other than myself like that kind of thing, and thus I leave them to their own tastes instead of being oppressive with my taste.
15476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / United Kingdom of...
Offline
Posted 12/29/10
I have a Psychology degree, I don't remember learning this part.


Men want to see women as sexual objects, it's built into out DNA as defense mechanism for the sake of procreation so that the species does not die out.


Society objectifies women. But its okay because its a part of male DNA.


Men need a reason to want to have sex with women, thus attractiveness plays very heavily in this aspect
.

Treating women as objects is good because it encourages men to want to have sex with them.


Women need to be convinced to have sex, which is why men need that sexual need in the first place, to provide the reasoning to actually persuade the woman into fornication.


Women don't like sex. They need persuasion in the form of horny men.









3238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/10 , edited 12/29/10
You know something...it's both the entertainment industry and society that is behind this oversexualiaztion of females period.

How often do you see smut coming out of hollywood, and the society apes it's way of thinking? And then whatever society invents, hollywood catches wind of it, runs with it, and makes millions off it?

It's a damn cycle here, and it's not just the overexposed sexuality of women here...it's alot of other things that I'm sick of that I will get into for another thread. (and most likely have people calling me every name under the sun)

The way I see it is this....whatever goes on in japan, should stay the fuck in japan. It should not come over here and infests itself into our way of life as if it's supposed to be normal. Am I against sex...no. In fact I'm a sexual libertarian, as long as what you do with your sexuality stays behind closed doors and should NEVER involve children. With that said, the sexuality needs to be toned down in what we watch from hollywood or in movies, even in japan. We weren't born to be in heat 24/7, and the moment you start lowering that age bracket down beyond 18 (which is exactly what hollywood has been doing for years now) is where I have a huge problem. I'm sorry, but as an adult, you are a fucking perverted pedophile if you think a 17 year old or younger girl in real life is "hawt".

But I don't have such a problem with such a mature looking underage girl in an anime because she's not real. (see the way I fantisize over Mikuru Asahina) That doesn't mean you parents out there should let your daughter look like such a girl, unless you want a rape-like bullseye painted on her back.

Rezzy, if you don't think the media brainwashes us, then you need to take another look at our american media and the way the average person acts these days my friend. I dunno about the anime industry telling us what is popular, but I know some of the genres of entertainment here in america is forcing down our throats what should be the norm (such as stupidty and a lack of common sense), what is supposly irrelevant, how females and males should talk, wear, and act like to be "accepted", while never progressing ones self individuality (especally in the minority community such as me among blacks). But at the same time, you also point out that society does the same.

It's both, rezzy. And I also agree with the points that nerdsonfire1 said as well.

Hey I can get into what both the entertainment industry and society has done to not just females but to people period, but that's for another topic. My solution is that if enough people stop watching or paying money for this stuff...then the industry and society will change to reflect it. But unfortunately, there's too many sheeple outnumbering folks like us to make that difference.

I'm sure this issue is going on in other parts of the world...but I focused mostly on the USA.

8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 12/29/10

nerdsonfire1 wrote:

LMAO I'm tyrannical? Have I said it should be outlawed? But I'm sure glad you've finally answered the question on why men enjoy seeing women as sexual objects. Here's another one for you: isn't is possible to have sex in anime without having the female be like some kind of programmed horny robot?

You're really hostile you know and you're making yourself look bad. I see that the concept of the media is too difficult for you to understand, so I won't waste any more time on you. Thanks for proving my point on how defensive men get when this subject is raised.


I hardly think I am making myself look bad considering I am only explaining the perfectly logical view on how all of this works. I have a very short amount of patience for flawed logic. However you should know that through all of this, I am not angry in the least, but merely laughing at the fallacies. I am a defensive and hostile person when it comes to defending Liberty and Industry.

You are imploring for the sympathy of others that Industry is the big bad in all of this. I'm here to fight against that state of mind.
Posted 12/29/10
That was an excellent post squirrel3d
28356 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Osaka, Japan ★
Offline
Posted 12/29/10
=_= well it's very usual in some animes nowadays so that they
could attract more attention to the viewers and make it
a little funny or some ecchi...
15476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / United Kingdom of...
Offline
Posted 12/29/10
Rezzy, I thought I had made clear the absurdity of your remarks. Was I too subtle?
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 12/29/10

squirrel3d wrote:

You know something...it's both the entertainment industry and society that is behind this oversexualiaztion of females period.

How often do you see smut coming out of hollywood, and the society apes it's way of thinking? And then whatever society invents, hollywood catches wind of it, runs with it, and makes millions off it?

It's a damn cycle here, and it's not just the overexposed sexuality of women here...it's alot of other things that I'm sick of that I will get into for another thread. (and most likely have people calling me every name under the sun)

The way I see it is this....whatever goes on in japan, should stay the fuck in japan. It should not come over here and infests itself into our way of life as if it's supposed to be normal. Am I against sex...no. In fact I'm a sexual libertarian, as long as what you do with your sexuality stays behind closed doors and should NEVER involve children. With that said, the sexuality needs to be toned down in what we watch from hollywood or in movies, even in japan. We weren't born to be in heat 24/7, and the moment you start lowering that age bracket down beyond 18 (which is exactly what hollywood has been doing for years now) is where I have a huge problem. I'm sorry, but as an adult, you are a fucking perverted pedophile if you think a 17 year old or younger girl in real life is "hawt".

But I don't have such a problem with such a mature looking underage girl in an anime because she's not real. (see the way I fantisize over Mikuru Asahina) That doesn't mean you parents out there should let your daughter look like such a girl, unless you want a rape-like bullseye painted on her back.

Rezzy, if you don't think the media brainwashes us, then you need to take another look at our american media and the way the average person acts these days my friend. I dunno about the anime industry telling us what is popular, but I know some of the genres of entertainment here in america is forcing down our throats what should be the norm (such as stupidty and a lack of common sense), what is supposly irrelevant, how females and males should talk, wear, and act like to be "accepted", while never progressing ones self individuality (especally in the minority community such as me among blacks). But at the same time, you also point out that society does the same.

It's both, rezzy. And I also agree with the points that nerdsonfire1 said as well.

Hey I can get into what both the entertainment industry and society has done to not just females but to people period, but that's for another topic. My solution is that if enough people stop watching or paying money for this stuff...then the industry and society will change to reflect it. But unfortunately, there's too many sheeple outnumbering folks like us to make that difference.

I'm sure this issue is going on in other parts of the world...but I focused mostly on the USA.



Man, I really do not want to call names in all of this. Which makes my response back to your post a lot harder.
All I can say right now, is that Society can only be convinced by media and industry because they let themselves fall for it. Media and industry does not make money for brainwashing, they make money from selling a product. If their commercials and productivity have convinced society into buying something than that is a success. It's not the industries fault that society WANTS their product. Whether it is through persuasion of advertisements, or through pop culture, they are simply looking for the vantage point to make the money. It's not a scandal, it's not trickery, it's not robbery, it's a legitimate business transaction. People that fall for simple media tricks are proving that they are just simple people. They would rather have society tell them what is good for them instead of assessing what is good for them on their own.
I stand by what I say. The problem is Society, not Industry. This has been true throughout time, and will never change unless direct oppression occurs. Which it often does simply because a few people think that something is wrong with how this works.
15476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / United Kingdom of...
Offline
Posted 12/29/10


Women want sex as much as men. We don't need convincing. Thus you are wrong...
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 12/29/10

JenLawliet wrote:



Women want sex as much as men. We don't need convincing. Thus you are wrong...


Yeah? How often are men turned on where as compared to women?
3238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/10

Rezzy64 wrote:


squirrel3d wrote:

You know something...it's both the entertainment industry and society that is behind this oversexualiaztion of females period.

How often do you see smut coming out of hollywood, and the society apes it's way of thinking? And then whatever society invents, hollywood catches wind of it, runs with it, and makes millions off it?

It's a damn cycle here, and it's not just the overexposed sexuality of women here...it's alot of other things that I'm sick of that I will get into for another thread. (and most likely have people calling me every name under the sun)

The way I see it is this....whatever goes on in japan, should stay the fuck in japan. It should not come over here and infests itself into our way of life as if it's supposed to be normal. Am I against sex...no. In fact I'm a sexual libertarian, as long as what you do with your sexuality stays behind closed doors and should NEVER involve children. With that said, the sexuality needs to be toned down in what we watch from hollywood or in movies, even in japan. We weren't born to be in heat 24/7, and the moment you start lowering that age bracket down beyond 18 (which is exactly what hollywood has been doing for years now) is where I have a huge problem. I'm sorry, but as an adult, you are a fucking perverted pedophile if you think a 17 year old or younger girl in real life is "hawt".

But I don't have such a problem with such a mature looking underage girl in an anime because she's not real. (see the way I fantisize over Mikuru Asahina) That doesn't mean you parents out there should let your daughter look like such a girl, unless you want a rape-like bullseye painted on her back.

Rezzy, if you don't think the media brainwashes us, then you need to take another look at our american media and the way the average person acts these days my friend. I dunno about the anime industry telling us what is popular, but I know some of the genres of entertainment here in america is forcing down our throats what should be the norm (such as stupidty and a lack of common sense), what is supposly irrelevant, how females and males should talk, wear, and act like to be "accepted", while never progressing ones self individuality (especally in the minority community such as me among blacks). But at the same time, you also point out that society does the same.

It's both, rezzy. And I also agree with the points that nerdsonfire1 said as well.

Hey I can get into what both the entertainment industry and society has done to not just females but to people period, but that's for another topic. My solution is that if enough people stop watching or paying money for this stuff...then the industry and society will change to reflect it. But unfortunately, there's too many sheeple outnumbering folks like us to make that difference.

I'm sure this issue is going on in other parts of the world...but I focused mostly on the USA.



Man, I really do not want to call names in all of this. Which makes my response back to your post a lot harder.
All I can say right now, is that Society can only be convinced by media and industry because they let themselves fall for it. Media and industry does not make money for brainwashing, they make money from selling a product. If their commercials and productivity have convinced society into buying something than that is a success. It's not the industries fault that society WANTS their product. Whether it is through persuasion of advertisements, or through pop culture, they are simply looking for the vantage point to make the money. It's not a scandal, it's not trickery, it's not robbery, it's a legitimate business transaction. People that fall for simple media tricks are proving that they are just simple people. They would rather have society tell them what is good for them instead of assessing what is good for them on their own.
I stand by what I say. The problem is Society, not Industry. This has been true throughout time, and will never change unless direct oppression occurs. Which it often does simply because a few people think that something is wrong with how this works.



So in other words, it's ok for the industry/media/hollywood to produce a song for example about having "hos" in different area codes? You don't think some child listening to that won't ape the message that comes from that? It's okay for them to force down your throat their one-sided jaded perverse viewpoint of what is accepted and what isn't?

Yeah...it's all society's fault but it's ok for the industry to do it too. When was the last time you watched the mainstream news media? If you don't think that has a hand in all this, then I can no longer have a discussion with you.
75652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 12/29/10
Don't forget that anime is much more expensive to produce than manga, and over the last ten years advertising revenues have collapsed, both because the market is shrinking with the aging of the Japanese population and because the audience that does exist often leaves the market and watches bootlegs instead.

And the DVD market in Japan overall is much smaller than the US DVD market.

One way to get money out of a relatively small niche audience is if you can get men to develop a sexual obsession. Between "making a brilliant anime that engages the audience with its originality and the depth of its character development" and "pandering to existing sexual fetishes", pandering to fetishes is simply a much easier and more reliable way to get twenty- and thirty-something otaku to part with hundreds of dollars to buy a boxset of an anime.

Anime that reaches a broader audience tends to include substantial sexualization of female characters, but its far more blatant in the after midnight anime that are paying to be aired as an advertisement for the DVD's, and which strongly benefits if it has to have censorship in the broadcast cut ... because that sells more of the uncensored DVD's.
15476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / United Kingdom of...
Offline
Posted 12/29/10

Rezzy64 wrote:


JenLawliet wrote:



Women want sex as much as men. We don't need convincing. Thus you are wrong...


Yeah? How often are men turned on where as compared to women?



Men probably are more "turned on" then women, primarily because we exist in a patriarchal society which devalues women as mere objects for the male gaze. That doesn't mean women do not want sex, nor that we require persuasion in the form of horny men. It has nothing to do with biology or evolution.


First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.