First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Christian allegories in fiction.
6858 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Pluto
Offline
Posted 1/11/08 , edited 1/11/08
First, obligatory: I did a search, sorry if this is a duplicate.

Willy Wonka:

" Okay....I'm watching willy wonka for the zillionth time,
and I says to myself...'hmm....this seems cosmological'.
Yes, I know it sounds pitiful, but check this-
The whole movie seems to be about the soul trying to
get to heaven; First the 'golden ticket' is an invitation
to LIFE. SLUGWORTH is the devil...he wants the
'everlasting gobstopper' because it's the symbol of the SOUL.
(that's why it's EVERLASTING). Wonka seems to know everything
that's gonna happen, like when Augustus gets s.ucked up
in the tube, well, when the boat comes around, there is
only room for those left, no room for Augustus and his mom,
so willy KNEW he would be gone!
He gives them all the Gobstopper, but in the end charlie returns
it to Wonka, just as a righteous soul tries to get back to
God....Wonka also says Slugworth works for him, (the
same way the devil "works" for God.)...
am I right? and yes, I know I have a lot of time
on my hands, so don't tell me in your reply.
OOmpa loompa doompadity do-
I've got a really weird theory for you..." ~andy1 [asmb]

Chronicles of Narnia:

Ok, call me completely clueless, but I didn't see that one until the very last book. I didn't see it when he was creating a new world. I didn't see it when they were called "sons of adam" and "daughters of eve"... I was still clueless when the sacrificial nature of his death invoked an "older magic" that caused him to "rise again". Lookinb back it's obvious.. but I just didn't connect them at the time. Not to spoil anything for anyone, but the Lion is Jesus. < that one's actually tells you straight up what's going on, so in its case I think it's intentional.



So what do you think about the Willy Wonka theory? Have you noticed any sly religious basings in any of the fiction you've enjoyed? Do you think it was deliberate or do you think it was just a reflection of the writer's subconcious knowledge of the Bible beaten into them through repetition? Do you think there are more or less biblical references in today's fiction than what came before it?
Ghost
AHTL 
91493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / Norway
Online
Posted 1/11/08
It's a conspiracy! O_o


Interesting theory I must say...
6858 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Pluto
Offline
Posted 1/11/08
I also think each of the kids represented a predominant sin. Like that kid Augustus that was always eating... gluttony.
1755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / the island beside...
Offline
Posted 1/11/08
yeah you're right the most evident is Da Vinci code although it was proven that it was all made up but anyway it was still entertainig
4344 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / auckland
Offline
Posted 1/11/08
darn.. it's too bad i haven't seen willy wonka yet.. sounds like another one of your interesting insight there HQ

i'm gonna start thinking about other movies whether they have any christian allegories behind them now. > <
6858 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Pluto
Offline
Posted 1/11/08

yan2x01 wrote:

yeah you're right the most evident is Da Vinci code although it was proven that it was all made up but anyway it was still entertainig :)


O_o; ALL of it? Or just those parts that pointed to discrepencies in the bible? I mean, that wire self mutilation thing is real... do you have a link or something to it's debunking?

supermalv wrote:

darn.. it's too bad i haven't seen willy wonka yet.. sounds like another one of your interesting insight there HQ

i'm gonna start thinking about other movies whether they have any christian allegories behind them now. > <


Stolen insight, but I totally gave him credit :D... and yeah, once you see one it's hard not to judge others for a while. You know another one was Super Man Returns. I read... this or something like this a while ago:


He lived as a man, but was not of this world because His father had sent him to earth from heaven. Although he possesed supernatural powers, he meekly subjected himself to humiliation and pain for the sake of his love. Then he resurrected with his powers to defeat the foe threatening his love. Finally, he left his love for a while, only to return and be reunited with her.


Jesus or Kal-el?
49717 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
77 / Unreachable Dream...
Offline
Posted 1/11/08
~ Didn't many news analysts, critiques, and such people have stated about this? Especially Chronicles of Narnia, it has been compared to Golden Compass saying, "From Christian basis (Chronicles of Narnia) which became a huge hit, a different kind of movie that came from the author (author of golden compass) which some people might say, promotes atheism."

~ There could be many reasons why the writer wrote such piece. It could probably mean he is a Christian of some sort, or maybe he thinks that if the concept of his book/movie would be good and more enticing if he bases it on such, then it seriously depends.

~ It was obvious for Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, but for Wally Wonka, I didnt really pay attention to it. Now that you have told me, I am quite intrigued, and informed in a very good way. Thank you.
4344 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / auckland
Offline
Posted 1/11/08

hq145 wrote:


yan2x01 wrote:

yeah you're right the most evident is Da Vinci code although it was proven that it was all made up but anyway it was still entertainig :)


O_o; ALL of it? Or just those parts that pointed to discrepencies in the bible? I mean, that wire self mutilation thing is real... do you have a link or something to it's debunking?

supermalv wrote:

darn.. it's too bad i haven't seen willy wonka yet.. sounds like another one of your interesting insight there HQ

i'm gonna start thinking about other movies whether they have any christian allegories behind them now. > <


Stolen insight, but I totally gave him credit :D... and yeah, once you see one it's hard not to judge others for a while. You know another one was Super Man Returns. I read... this or something like this a while ago:


He lived as a man, but was not of this world because His father had sent him to earth from heaven. Although he possesed supernatural powers, he meekly subjected himself to humiliation and pain for the sake of his love. Then he resurrected with his powers to defeat the foe threatening his love. Finally, he left his love for a while, only to return and be reunited with her.


Jesus or Kal-el?


and neo from the matrix. the whole savior to mankind thing. i was reading this book called philosophy of the matrix. And it's so fascinating how many religious allegories is on that movie.
1755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / the island beside...
Offline
Posted 1/11/08

hq145 wrote:


yan2x01 wrote:

yeah you're right the most evident is Da Vinci code although it was proven that it was all made up but anyway it was still entertainig :)


O_o; ALL of it? Or just those parts that pointed to discrepencies in the bible? I mean, that wire self mutilation thing is real... do you have a link or something to it's debunking?


nahh I just saw it in discovery channel that some French guy just made the stuff out just to increase the tourist on the rest house castle (I forgot the name though, sorry cause it was last June that I saw it)...I dunno if Dan Brown really research the facts then its somewhat believable. I almost believed all that he has written in his book but in the end the fiction arises because its unbelievable to have Jesus's bloodline to be here on earth O_o
6858 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Pluto
Offline
Posted 1/11/08
mikomiko123 -

No, those aren't new. Lewis very often wrote stories with Christian undertones because he was Christian and used his fiction as a way to "spread the good word"... but there are other, less obvious examples that make you wonder if it was what they had intended, or just that the story line is as old as.... well if not the written word then at least fiction itself.

supermalv

Now that sounds interesting. I mean, there's the obvious savior thing.. but I'd be interested to hear any specifics you can remember. You know.. I still haven't seen the third one of that trilogy. I'm disspapointed in myself.

yan2x01

Oh man, I saw that too! I didn't think it had anything to do with the DaVinci code, but I wasn't paying so much attention. I think it's fascinating how they can tell how old something is, and all the ways there is to fake authenticity.

49717 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
77 / Unreachable Dream...
Offline
Posted 1/11/08

hq145 wrote:

mikomiko123 -

No, those aren't new. Lewis very often wrote stories with Christian undertones because he was Christian and used his fiction as a way to "spread the good word"... but there are other, less obvious examples that make you wonder if it was what they had intended, or just that the story line is as old as.... well if not the written word then at least fiction itself.



Indeed it is not new, but for Wally Wonka, I havent really realized that. Hmm, maybe I should pay attention on the movies I watch huh? Thank you for this interesting shard of enlightening information. Now, It is time for me to reflect on the books and movies that I have read and watched if there are any Christian Basis.
1200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / sydney, australia
Offline
Posted 1/11/08 , edited 4/18/08
i thought this to be common knowledge? (lol, not to sound like a dick. just thought is was) we studied christian messages in media in my english class one year. there are christian undertones to nearly everything out of the U.S these days as well, scrubs being a prime example
36562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Corner of No and...
Offline
Posted 1/11/08 , edited 4/18/08
That's a very interesting theory, i never thought of it that way before. Who knows? Some of its intentional and some of it isn't. Although I do tend to believe that most of it is subconscious. Also, there are the people who just read too much into it. Like a lot of people see that in the Harry Potter books--one guy wrote a whole book on it--but J.K. Rowling is an atheist and wasn't going for that at all. As for how much there is--there's probably less of it--religion doesn't matter as much to as many people as it used to.

Edit: Another reason I tend to believe it's subconscious is b/c i see a lot of allegories in my own writing - and I'm an atheist. I don't put them in there b/c I believe in it, or b/c i'm trying to spread the word, but more b/c it's been shoved down my throat for the past 17 years and is hard to get away from.
1245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Frozen over momo...
Offline
Posted 1/11/08 , edited 4/18/08
Haha
Yeah
But Evangelion still has the best christian allegories!
6858 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Pluto
Offline
Posted 1/11/08 , edited 4/18/08
mikomiko123

I don't think it's anything you have to hunt down. It doesn't denegrate what you're watching. I guess all it does is show a lack of imagination.. but even then there are core storylines found in every work of fiction. There are only so many combinations of events and motivations, right?

magnus102

Yeah, the oompa loompas.. I love them. I don't know about the ones in the newer version with Johnny Depp. Though that could just be because I'm always partial to the original. I do wonder why they felt the need to make a movie with more history on Willy Wonka. I think he was meant to be a mystery. It plays to my theory better.. the new one gives him flaws and makes him less Godlike.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.