First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Do You Believe In Multiverses or Other/Alternate Universes?
50506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 2/18/11
I am receptive to the idea.
10965 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 2/18/11
I like the idea of multi-verses, one where im not a total nub.

We can never know everything, so who is to say what is not possible.
2059 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Bebop
Offline
Posted 2/18/11

Taedrin wrote:


Neo_Akatsuki wrote:

im not debating the brains of Stephen Hawking but he also said that he reckons that in a few years we will be attacked by aliens....
i dont believe in the mutliverse theory id like to think im the original me and the only me.


IIRC, Stephen Hawking never said that we would be attacked by aliens. He said that attempting to contact an alien species is dangerous - especially if this alien species is more advanced than us. He reasoned that everytime an advanced civilization on earth discovered a less advanced civilization, Bad Things(tm) generally happened to the less advanced one.


ah fair enough i apologize, i must have read it incorrectly and to be fair i agree with the statement, he did say that it would be in the near future though right? that's the bit i dont agree on, i believe we wont be the people to be contacted, i believe we will be the ones who will spread across the universe like some sort of freaky plague
53663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/18/11
I don't believe in multiple universes.
Not that I'm saying it is impossible, I just don't feel the way it is defined.
Too much ifs and buts.
Let's say it is there. Then it's a reality. Then there isn't any multiple universe (title) cause it's part of this one......
Posted 2/18/11
The Universe is just to massive to be just us living in it, but if there is life elsewhere, they aren't bloody little green men that probe you -__- wish some people were more realistic, bacteria is a living thing and there has to be traces of it on other planets somewhere but were not technologically advanced enough to stay in space long enough or to travel far enough to discover it.
Posted 2/18/11
I do for i made this topic
2163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Somewhere you don...
Offline
Posted 2/18/11
the n theory huh... Well I've heard stranger ones. (like the string theory). Now for other dimensions... yeah why not it would make things more fun
Posted 2/18/11
Just reading all your comments makes my brain bleed alittle.

All I know is IF there are multiverse or alternate universes I'm pretty sure you can use the microwave to open a hole into said pineapple(s) and use a hamburger to capture your other self and steal his wallet... I could use the money for rent. I don't think bizzaro world exists though. Does make me want to go into the alternate ver. and cause mayhem. That'll teach other me for not making the same exact choices as me.
54478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 2/18/11

Neo_Akatsuki wrote:


Taedrin wrote:


Neo_Akatsuki wrote:

im not debating the brains of Stephen Hawking but he also said that he reckons that in a few years we will be attacked by aliens....
i dont believe in the mutliverse theory id like to think im the original me and the only me.


IIRC, Stephen Hawking never said that we would be attacked by aliens. He said that attempting to contact an alien species is dangerous - especially if this alien species is more advanced than us. He reasoned that everytime an advanced civilization on earth discovered a less advanced civilization, Bad Things(tm) generally happened to the less advanced one.


ah fair enough i apologize, i must have read it incorrectly and to be fair i agree with the statement, he did say that it would be in the near future though right? that's the bit i dont agree on, i believe we wont be the people to be contacted, i believe we will be the ones who will spread across the universe like some sort of freaky plague


To be honest, all signs point to alien contact happening a LOOOOONNNGGGG time from now, if ever.

The fact is that the laws of physics seem to try their very hardest to make traveling faster than the speed of light impossible. The universe will bend the very fabric of spacetime to prevent ANYONE in the universe from observing a massful particle existing at the speed of light. Anytime someone figures out a way around this, the laws of physics throws a wrench into the works.

Scientist: "I know! We'll warp space and time so that the massful particles are still at sublight velocities locally, but able to surpass the speed of light globally!
Laws of Physics: "Fine, but this is only possible on the subatomic scale, and can only happen between two uncharged metal plates which are placed a micrometer apart in an area absent of any electromagnetic fields (The Casimir Effect)."
Scientist: "OK, how about this: we'll create a bridge of spacetime between two separate distant points in the universe!"
Laws of Physics: " Sure, just fetch me some negative energy density to keep this bridge of spacetime open long enough for you to pass through it! (Morris-Throne wormhole)"
Scientist: "Huh, we're fresh out of nergative energy density. Well, how about this: The theory of relativity doesn't specifically reject travelling faster than the speed of light - it only rejects the possibility of a massful particle existing AT the speed of light due to a division by zero!"
Laws of Physics: "Great, all you have to do now is to find some imaginary matter and figure out how to interact with it and use it to build something to travel great distances. (Tachyons)"
Scientist: "WTF is imaginary matter?"
Laws of PHysics: "I have no clue, but the fact that you haven't observed any at all doesn't really bode well for you, now does it?"
4546 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / N. Charleston SC
Offline
Posted 2/18/11
yea i believe in a multiverse of myself
25823 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 2/18/11

Taedrin wrote:


Neo_Akatsuki wrote:


Taedrin wrote:


Neo_Akatsuki wrote:

im not debating the brains of Stephen Hawking but he also said that he reckons that in a few years we will be attacked by aliens....
i dont believe in the mutliverse theory id like to think im the original me and the only me.


IIRC, Stephen Hawking never said that we would be attacked by aliens. He said that attempting to contact an alien species is dangerous - especially if this alien species is more advanced than us. He reasoned that everytime an advanced civilization on earth discovered a less advanced civilization, Bad Things(tm) generally happened to the less advanced one.


ah fair enough i apologize, i must have read it incorrectly and to be fair i agree with the statement, he did say that it would be in the near future though right? that's the bit i dont agree on, i believe we wont be the people to be contacted, i believe we will be the ones who will spread across the universe like some sort of freaky plague


To be honest, all signs point to alien contact happening a LOOOOONNNGGGG time from now, if ever.

The fact is that the laws of physics seem to try their very hardest to make traveling faster than the speed of light impossible. The universe will bend the very fabric of spacetime to prevent ANYONE in the universe from observing a massful particle existing at the speed of light. Anytime someone figures out a way around this, the laws of physics throws a wrench into the works.

Scientist: "I know! We'll warp space and time so that the massful particles are still at sublight velocities locally, but able to surpass the speed of light globally!
Laws of Physics: "Fine, but this is only possible on the subatomic scale, and can only happen between two uncharged metal plates which are placed a micrometer apart in an area absent of any electromagnetic fields (The Casimir Effect)."
Scientist: "OK, how about this: we'll create a bridge of spacetime between two separate distant points in the universe!"
Laws of Physics: " Sure, just fetch me some negative energy density to keep this bridge of spacetime open long enough for you to pass through it! (Morris-Throne wormhole)"
Scientist: "Huh, we're fresh out of nergative energy density. Well, how about this: The theory of relativity doesn't specifically reject travelling faster than the speed of light - it only rejects the possibility of a massful particle existing AT the speed of light due to a division by zero!"
Laws of Physics: "Great, all you have to do now is to find some imaginary matter and figure out how to interact with it and use it to build something to travel great distances. (Tachyons)"
Scientist: "WTF is imaginary matter?"
Laws of PHysics: "I have no clue, but the fact that you haven't observed any at all doesn't really bode well for you, now does it?"


aaaaaaaaaaah mandlebrot im kinda disappointed I kinda wanted to meet the dude for some odd reason...now hes gone =/
3393 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Inside My Baka Ki...
Offline
Posted 2/18/11
I so, so, so believe in multi-universe. Don't u think it cool 2 have other creatures living in the universe who are unknown to us??? . . .[two bulging eyes, OR green slimy skin, ew!ew!ew!!!, OR Maybe even 10 fingers + 10 toes, 2 eyes and ears, a nose and a mouth- jst like humans? (ceepy- i have a chill thinkin bout dat everytime, brrr) . . . .O_o
Or maybe in some other universe
there are some other planet . .
of da exact copy of our earth . .(awsome:-D!!!)
165 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / a small rural town
Offline
Posted 2/18/11
I watched something about this on T.V., it was interesting
i'm not so concieted that I believe/disbelieve in anything us mere people could never truely contemplate
26850 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Southern California
Offline
Posted 2/18/11
I believe in multiverses, aliens, "ghosts'', and a lot of other things.

Life would be pretty boring otherwise.


taisharaiel wrote:

I like the idea of multi-verses, one where im not a total nub.

We can never know everything, so who is to say what is not possible.


We can never know everything, or we can never know anything? I'm a solipsist myself, but living in the illusion is pretty fun. Ahahahaa.


Escrep wrote:

Just reading all your comments makes my brain bleed alittle.

All I know is IF there are multiverse or alternate universes I'm pretty sure you can use the microwave to open a hole into said pineapple(s) and use a hamburger to capture your other self and steal his wallet... I could use the money for rent. I don't think bizzaro world exists though. Does make me want to go into the alternate ver. and cause mayhem. That'll teach other me for not making the same exact choices as me.


But what if your other self tortures you first?
Posted 2/19/11

AmeSama wrote:

I believe in multiverses, aliens, "ghosts'', and a lot of other things.

Life would be pretty boring otherwise.


taisharaiel wrote:

I like the idea of multi-verses, one where im not a total nub.

We can never know everything, so who is to say what is not possible.


We can never know everything, or we can never know anything? I'm a solipsist myself, but living in the illusion is pretty fun. Ahahahaa.


Escrep wrote:

Just reading all your comments makes my brain bleed alittle.

All I know is IF there are multiverse or alternate universes I'm pretty sure you can use the microwave to open a hole into said pineapple(s) and use a hamburger to capture your other self and steal his wallet... I could use the money for rent. I don't think bizzaro world exists though. Does make me want to go into the alternate ver. and cause mayhem. That'll teach other me for not making the same exact choices as me.


But what if your other self tortures you first? :D


You! You and your absurd lists of list-i-ness. That's right. I went there. And WHAO! Who said anything about me torturing my other self? I was willing to go from giving bizzaro me a sensual back massage while stealing wallet to knocking said me out with a foam bat and and having him waking up to thinking anime is real.. Heh... Wouldn't that be awkward once he, me, I... Grrrr.. IT, exits the front door.

But back to your question (and totally ignoring someone thought about me torturing myself... that sounds wrong), If my other self decided to torture me first i'd have to resort to having a full functioning meltdown and cry like the coward other-me would obviously think I am, THUS, leading to him, me, I <sigh>, IT, into being disgusted and walking away which would give me time to get revenge and torture IT and shove a dil- uh, you get the idea... But... What if he KNOWS my plan and- sonova... Well, this enforces the whole "there's no multiverse' because no god in his right mind would let such a thing exist to screw with the minds of lesser people... Like me.

I got my eyes on you AmeSama
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.