First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
complain and theory. what makes a good anime?
2015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 1/29/11
okay, most of the animes we see today we know that main character isn't the best character in the series or we feel that way right?

but I have gathered that in the beginning of the serie the main character is usually the most popular not matter how shitty they are. why is that?

this is what I call the "main character fandom" or something, it's that not matter how bad the main character is there will always be people who like him, often more than they deserve.

but most creators neglected on the main character and their personalit is not as likable, a few who however abused this and made the main character the most appealing in the series(Lelouch, haruhi, hei, alucard, onizuka, etc)

sooooo, in theory isn't a anime more likely to be popular if the main character is the best charracter in the series? or least reptitive? and combination of good plot and good main character and heroine alone can make it wildly popular? (look at code geass and how popular it is, basically every one besides lelouch, cc, and a little bit o kallen and jeremiah. everyone else was made to be hated)

I just got a complain how most of the time the main character is always outclassed or just unlikable. what do you think?

character alone can't make a series though, so good plot and art work is also needed
Posted 1/29/11
Could have sworn that I saw a similar thread...

Oh well, time to answer the question.

To me, things that make a good is how they approach their genre. Through the use of characters, plot(s), setting, etc. The way these elements are incorporated into the anime (for what it is) will make it either a 'good' or 'bad' anime. I'd like to give examples but I cannot think of any as of now, might edit when I can think clearly.
44 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / California
Offline
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11
Hmm
1 it has to have a story line that hooks you, im not really a fan of an anime that starts strong and finishes weak or vice versa.
2 it cannot have a "NON ending" meaning that the ties need to be met or another season is in order
3 if it follows a manga it should stay true as much as possible with slight variations due to it being animated. Full metal alchemist brotherhood is a good example
4 music, music needs to draw you in, i've seen a few where it felt like the music had zero place in the scene or the anime in general
5. If its going to be a long series, some how for the love of all that is anime try to cut the fillers to a minimum. We are now in what month 2 of naruto fillers?
897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 1/30/11
Likable main characters are usually a good thing but certain animes like Death Note have shown that a likable main character isn't necessary as long as the other characters in the series are likable, the plot is good or it is a good comedy. I think Harem animes suffer the most from weak or unlikable main characters but they generally manage to get by because the female characters are liked or there is just enough comedy or good enough plot. Other characters outclassing the main character has been going on for a while and isn't something out of the ordinary though especially when you have a series like Naruto or Bleach where there are a lot of characters.
1190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Seoul
Offline
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11
To be honest, it was difficult to understand the whole thread, so I'll just comment about this statement.


LelouchKyonConan wrote:character alone can't make a series though, so good plot and art work is also needed

Actually, characters are arguably the one of the most important aspects to make a series imo. This is especially true for slice-of-life series, which can have little to no plot whatsoever, thus relying on the interactions between the characters to drive the show. Unfortunately, aesthetics can only do so much for a series that is mediocre to begin with (which seems to be plaguing the anime industry these days...); at best, it'll be a very popular series. Just because a series is popular, it doesn't automatically make it a masterpiece. Great plots in itself can be a major aspect of certain shows which can keep the audience engaged with ease, but unlike characters, they aren't crucial for making a series. However, if the characters are completely one-dimensional, mundane or too idealistic, it'll be damn near impossible to engage with it, because you won't be able to sympathize the characters half the time.
2015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 1/30/11

HirakuNoShadow wrote:

To be honest, it was difficult to understand the whole thread, so I'll just comment about this statement.


LelouchKyonConan wrote:character alone can't make a series though, so good plot and art work is also needed

Actually, characters are arguably the one of the most important aspects to make a series imo. This is especially true for slice-of-life series, which can have little to no plot whatsoever, thus relying on the interactions between the characters to drive the show. Unfortunately, aesthetics can only do so much for a series that is mediocre to begin with (which seems to be plaguing the anime industry these days...); at best, it'll be a very popular series. Just because a series is popular, it doesn't automatically make it a masterpiece. Great plots in itself can be a major aspect of certain shows which can keep the audience engaged with ease, but unlike characters, they aren't crucial for making a series. However, if the characters are completely one-dimensional, mundane or too idealistic, it'll be damn near impossible to engage with it, because you won't be able to sympathize the characters half the time.


Actually I kind of put it in a wrong wat, here;

Good characters alone CAN make a series popular, but it doesn't mean it will be a masterpiece.

However, I'm saying that neglecting of the main character is a very common mistake, where there are BOUND to be people who favor the main character and it is the most important character in the series. So by making the main character the most likable or just by making other characters to be hated, combined with good plot. I think it would be either: enjoyable or repelling

Oh another question, what's the best way to tell a story to you?
3064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Pilipinas
Offline
Posted 1/30/11
i think its not the lead character itself carries the whole anime..it must have a good plot and lots of other ingredients..though lead characters have so much hating this days..
2015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 1/30/11

iKyuubi wrote:

i think its not the lead character itself carries the whole anime..it must have a good plot and lots of other ingredients..though lead characters have so much hating this days..


The lead is the most important character in the series. It can make a series popular all on it's own. Actually the plot doesn't even matter if you have a good main character, bug it DOES NOT make it a masterpiece b simply having an appealing main character. However most leads are out classed these days so if the main character is the best in the series and a serious has a good plot, it should be good
47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11
All I say is for the anime to excel in its genre. If its a comedy anime....it needs to be funny....depending on how funny it is...I give it a bigger score.

If its a Slice of Life anime.....I want to see how well it excels in its attempt at showing us a Slice of Life Scenario. It doesnt need to be heartwarming...though it can certainly have it.......take Hidamari Sketch for example....though its a Slice of Life/comedy....I think it does a perfect job at showing it.

Stuff like that.

I dont care about the animation...since the majority of anime has that level of decency of animation...its fine with me

Characters? Well I guess characters are indeed a big ass portion to if your going to like an anime or not. Though I also think that whatever type of genre an anime is....it will inevitably have characters that truly fit with that genre. I know that probably didnt make too much sense....but if I like a particular genre of an anime....I generally like the characters in it....though I know all the characters have different personalities....so naturally there should be some anime fans who dislike and like certain characters....but Im not sure on how to describe it.

My personal thing about characters is that I like animes that have side characters that actually are involved. Im particularly talking about if there is a romance/comedy anime....I would like to see the male leads sidekick be able to end up with a partner too.

I absolutely LOVE side character relationships

Story? Ill be honest....Since I generally watch ecchi/comedy/Slice of Life animes.....they generally arent the Story-heavy types of anime....so Im not even worthy of judging an animes story. But if it has one....then thats cool. But I think that if an anime is actually going out to tell a story......all animes have that level of decency with storytelling in my opinion.....but I havent seen too many action/adventure animes.....which I believe to be the ones that are story heavy...so Im not sure


But just to talk about the character aspect again......lets take Kirino for example. I really dont care if she is a bitch in everyones eyes....as long as she can do a decent job at being a funny character and showing the slice of life aspect......then thats an A+ in my book. I wouldnt lower an animes score due to a personality of a character....since their personality probably helps the show achieve its goals
142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / FLORIDA
Offline
Posted 2/5/11
story line, plot, no whiny character(Joey from heroman whines less further on), i hate a cliched main character, fanservice is one of the worst this to but on an anime, plus fanservice isnt that interesting when you rapidly keep showing show some girls panties, the it just gets sicking. There should be no carry-ons, Naruto sucks now becuase it has swayed from the stroy. yes the anime must stick to the stroy, although from time to time it is okay to sway from the stroy,but the anime must stick back to the story in the next anime. Once again ill say this, NO cliched carachters, they usually are very annpying. The anime musnt drag on with complacency. Word of advice, stay clear of the koihime series.
Posted 2/5/11
well personally, I love an anime that surprises you. I really detest animes that are completely predictabel. It also depends on the genre. If it's a romance, I wanna cry. If it's an action, I had better feel my heart stop (ok um not literally), and if its horror i wanna flinch. The main character also can't be annoying. An annoying main character destroys the anime. I like good graphics too!
53286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 2/5/11
I think it's easier to love support characters simply because you typically DON'T see their flaws. Or their flaws are presented in an endearing way (for example, a girl is scared of ghosts so she clings on to the main character while they walk down a path in a forest at night (lol cliche)). The main character you pretty much learn everything about them, and it's easy to pick apart one or more aspects of them just because you know so much or simply see them on screen so often.

But what makes a character "likable" is purely opinion. For example in the OP you say Lelouch is the best character in the series. Personally I love Kallen and CC and while Lelouch is one of the better main characters I've seen, I have a hard time calling him the best character in the series.
116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21
Offline
Posted 2/5/11 , edited 2/5/11
Main characters are the most important aspect of any anime in any genre. I will tell you that this is because popular and successful anime are either centered on a story plot and/or they are centered on comedy.

Main characters should influence the plot of an anime. And the plot of a show influences everything. If an anime is centered on comedy, then the plot is less important and the comedy usually relies on the actions of all the characters rather than just the main characters, but characters are still the most important aspect of the anime. When an anime is focused on plot (it may have some or no comedy), the main characters influence the plot because there can be no important events in the storyline if there were no main characters present in the events. If main characters are overshadowed by other characters, then it makes the plot less important.

So it is a matter of what makes a good main character, although there are many other things that affect how good an anime is. Even if an anime character is very likable, that doesn't mean that they are necessarily good in terms of making the anime good. But most people do want to watch a main character that is likable rather than a main character that helps the anime in more obscure ways (such as affecting theme, plot, character development, etc.). It's all about your preferences.
19078 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 2/5/11 , edited 2/5/11
I would say an exceptional anime needs:

1. A good well-written story
2. Interesting characters, preferably with character development
3. An ending
----a.) Said ending must not suck

Everything else is negotiable depending on the genre and demographic.
2015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 2/5/11

superluccix wrote:

All I say is for the anime to excel in its genre. If its a comedy anime....it needs to be funny....depending on how funny it is...I give it a bigger score.

If its a Slice of Life anime.....I want to see how well it excels in its attempt at showing us a Slice of Life Scenario. It doesnt need to be heartwarming...though it can certainly have it.......take Hidamari Sketch for example....though its a Slice of Life/comedy....I think it does a perfect job at showing it.

Stuff like that.

I dont care about the animation...since the majority of anime has that level of decency of animation...its fine with me

Characters? Well I guess characters are indeed a big ass portion to if your going to like an anime or not. Though I also think that whatever type of genre an anime is....it will inevitably have characters that truly fit with that genre. I know that probably didnt make too much sense....but if I like a particular genre of an anime....I generally like the characters in it....though I know all the characters have different personalities....so naturally there should be some anime fans who dislike and like certain characters....but Im not sure on how to describe it.

My personal thing about characters is that I like animes that have side characters that actually are involved. Im particularly talking about if there is a romance/comedy anime....I would like to see the male leads sidekick be able to end up with a partner too.

I absolutely LOVE side character relationships

Story? Ill be honest....Since I generally watch ecchi/comedy/Slice of Life animes.....they generally arent the Story-heavy types of anime....so Im not even worthy of judging an animes story. But if it has one....then thats cool. But I think that if an anime is actually going out to tell a story......all animes have that level of decency with storytelling in my opinion.....but I havent seen too many action/adventure animes.....which I believe to be the ones that are story heavy...so Im not sure


But just to talk about the character aspect again......lets take Kirino for example. I really dont care if she is a bitch in everyones eyes....as long as she can do a decent job at being a funny character and showing the slice of life aspect......then thats an A+ in my book. I wouldnt lower an animes score due to a personality of a character....since their personality probably helps the show achieve its goals





altairian wrote:

I think it's easier to love support characters simply because you typically DON'T see their flaws. Or their flaws are presented in an endearing way (for example, a girl is scared of ghosts so she clings on to the main character while they walk down a path in a forest at night (lol cliche)). The main character you pretty much learn everything about them, and it's easy to pick apart one or more aspects of them just because you know so much or simply see them on screen so often.

But what makes a character "likable" is purely opinion. For example in the OP you say Lelouch is the best character in the series. Personally I love Kallen and CC and while Lelouch is one of the better main characters I've seen, I have a hard time calling him the best character in the series.


well here's my opinion

plot - this is not necessary, as demostrated in slice of lifes like lucky star and k-on. BUT! if there is no plot you need to purely rely on the appeal of the characters and artwork. so having a good plot is essential if you want a masterpiece, not just some overrated shit.

Characters - the main character is the utmost important character in the series, and MY THEORY BEING, even if you make just the main character and it's lover the most likable characters in the series and make you see all the other character's flaws are unlikable, it would matter since they would love the main character, and agree with the actions they take. I see many artists attempting to create a main character but ends up failing. since you are gonna stay the longest with the main character, MAKE THEIR FLAWS LIKABLE(for example unsocial and slightly evil are excellent flaws) thus why lelouch is so liked

also whiny or useless characters, when I write my manga I will avoid them at all costs unless i try to make them hated.
you can basically say fuck you to everything else if you got the main character and heroine amazing(except art work).

fanservice - this is like candy, a little can be good but too much can make you sick. BALANCE IT OUT!!! never too much, but avoid too little. the main audience is probably male so make it balanced and appealing. and not cliche.

artwork, make it so that they would suit the story, I didn't really like the art work of eangelion, ut I thought code geass and aruhi's were pefect for them.I generally like the ones with detailed eyes.

GRIPPING OPENING AND ENDING!!!!

this is perhaps the most important factor in a good anime, this is why I consider code geass so damn good! it's first episode was gripping and conclusion although sad sastifactory. having a strong beginning and weaking ending will piss off fans(pandora hearts) but weaking beginning and gets better later on will not receive as much fans(pandora hearts, 1st episode was incredibly boring)
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.