First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Weeaboo alert: K-ON! English dub trailer
67483 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Glendale, AZ
Offline
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2a_HkdowaY&feature=player_embedded. This is Bandai's official K-ON! English dub (not the Animax one that is a joke to many ears while the people there would disagree). Lot of the usual dub hating.

Here's the thing: Why is it seemingly so hard for people to realize this is the way the characters should sound? Even in
the Japanese, Yui has a cutesy yet annoying voice. She's supposed to be that way. While the actual selection is openly debatable when it comes to casting, if the said talent is auditioning for the type of voice Yui has, cut them some slack.


I find it stupid because of this simple truth: For all those weeaboos/purists should realized that not Japanese versions aren't always "the one" to enjoy. There are Japanese dubs that are on the level from bad to "Why the hell did they ever think of hiring these people to do these characters?"

Also, the fact is that the creators and production teams are the ones who have say said actress got the role of said girl. If you have issues with the casting, then do the unlikely act of personally complaining to the Japanese. While they do indeed get lots of these (probably mostly to the American licensor or their American branches), I doubt it's something they usually take into strong consideration. That is, I think it's very rare they make their casting decisions based largely from complaint messages.

YouTube "Vic Mignogna on subtitles vs. dubs, stupid rumors, and NOT hating yaoi fans!". At roughly 3 minutes in, he says that there are good and dubs in every language. When he said that about the Japanese, there were sounds from the audience that I see indicated agreement from certain people.
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 1/30/11
English dubs suck.
Japanese is always best on anime, ALWAYS.
165 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / a small rural town
Offline
Posted 1/30/11
i dislike all dubs, no matter what the language is....
2015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 1/30/11

Des85 wrote:

English dubs suck.
Japanese is always best on anime, ALWAYS.


Not very true man, but I agree 99.99% if the time. The ONLY one I could think I liked better in the dub is DBZ, but I also heard black lagoon and cowboy bebop is better also. Seriously English dubs really suck, and I thought Chinese dubs were bad



strawberry-blonde wrote:

i dislike all dubs, no matter what the language is....


This is a point that everyone should realize, the creators made it do that certain characters are a certain way. So who the he'll are the dubbers to decide that those characters should have a different kind of voice that can be completely different from their original? Majority if the dubs just aren't as good, like 99% of them.

English voices just aren't skilled as Japanese ones, as in japan there's way more competition and thus more variety, I mean nearly everything us dubbed by Johnny and crispin Freeman. Subs are better.
67483 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Glendale, AZ
Offline
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11
Japanese is not always the best. Almost always they are. Purists. There are times there will be anime where the type of acting in question would be better suited for Western actors (Greek chorus-type situations, for one).
Posted 1/30/11
The K-ON! English dub sounds fairly decent. It's not like I'll be watching it any time soon anyways.
75738 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 1/30/11

Des85 wrote:

English dubs suck.
Japanese is always best on anime, ALWAYS.


Nice assertion but essentially meaningless. I can say: "The Sky is green, ALWAYS GREEN" as much as I like. Doesn't make it so.

Come back when you can articulate a rational argument on the subject.


1767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / In my mind
Offline
Posted 1/30/11
The first season in Japanese was already enough for me. No chance I'm gonna watch in English any time.
Posted 1/30/11
This is what I noticed from the whole 'Dub Vs. Sub' arguments. Other than people being purists/weeaboos, some are comparing the 2 dubs. E.G. "X's voice in Japanese was cute!!!! X's voice in English sounded like a man!!!". While I respect people's opinions, I don't like bashing on things, I tend to be nice and talk about it in a nice way. So if you don't like the English dub, that's fine, but don't compare it to it's counterpart and say it's bad.

And I disagree that Japanese dubs are always better, there are many many great dubs (English in this case) out there. Heck, I think the English dub for GUNDAM UC (Unicorn) is better than the Japanese dub.

Lastly, quoting the OP:


he says that there are good and dubs in every language.


I agree with this.
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 1/30/11

papagolfwhiskey wrote:
Come back when you can articulate a rational argument on the subject.




That will never happen, since I`ll never watch any english dub :P
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11

Des85 wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:
Come back when you can articulate a rational argument on the subject.




That will never happen, since I`ll never watch any english dub :P



So how can you say English dubs suck if you've never watched them? What kind of logic is that?
Also, Ive never cared for K On, but the acting isn't bad.
21521 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / Nagoya
Offline
Posted 1/30/11
some dubs are as good as-- or even better-- than the original Japanese. It's rare, but it DOES happen, especially when it was dubbed by Canadians. Oh, Canada. Why do you produce such glorious voice actors? It's ok, though. Keep dubbing my Gundam shows and I'll keep loving you.

Seriously though, watch the dub of Code Geass and try to convince me it's not JUST as campy and awesome as the original Japanese.
Unfortunately though, for every Code Geass we have 25 or 30 Funimation hack-jobs :\
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 1/30/11

LosingOrbit wrote:

So how can you say English dubs suck if you've never watched them? What kind of logic is that?
Also, Ive never cared for K On, but the acting isn't bad.


I`ve seen a little bit, enough to think american accent sound shitty in anime :P
If it was briths, australian, irish or scotish it would be cool XD
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11

Des85 wrote:


LosingOrbit wrote:

So how can you say English dubs suck if you've never watched them? What kind of logic is that?
Also, Ive never cared for K On, but the acting isn't bad.


I`ve seen a little bit, enough to think american accent sound shitty in anime :P
If it was briths, australian, irish or scotish it would be cool XD


So seeing "a little" is the majority?
897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 1/30/11
It wasn't too bad. I was fearing it would be terrible since female english voices in animes are usually the ones that are bad. Good english dubs do exist though albeit they're harder to come by. Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell are great examples of good english dubs that I feel are better than the japanese dubs.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.