First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Weeaboo alert: K-ON! English dub trailer
66778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 1/30/11

LosingOrbit wrote:


Des85 wrote:


LosingOrbit wrote:

So how can you say English dubs suck if you've never watched them? What kind of logic is that?
Also, Ive never cared for K On, but the acting isn't bad.


I`ve seen a little bit, enough to think american accent sound shitty in anime :P
If it was briths, australian, irish or scotish it would be cool XD


So seeing "a little" is the majority?


well to be fair k-on did have cute designs and when I do watch new anime i get on dvd i try to see how the English dub is sometimes I can stand to watch it other times no just no. Greg ayes is the worst American va ever and butchered negi's voice in negima to the point I wanted to stab my ears out. This aside i didn't think the dub is bad the girls sound cute and fit the personalty pretty well.
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11


I believe they sound just as annoying as the sub.
47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11
The majority of the English Dubs suck compare to the majority of the Japanese Dubs.

You guys on the internet need to understand that when someone says "Always" and "Never" they generally dont mean it.

If someone says "English Dubs suck", he doesnt mean that every single English Dub in the entire world sucks, he means the majority

And when I say the majority. I truly mean the majority of anime fans will agree with what I just said. Therefore when someone says "English Dubs suck", thats what the majority thinks and thats whats to be expected

And lets all be honest. We all know reasons why Dubs suck.
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11

superluccix wrote:

The majority of the English Dubs suck compare to the majority of the Japanese Dubs.

You guys on the internet need to understand that when someone says "Always" and "Never" they generally dont mean it.

If someone says "English Dubs suck", he doesnt mean that every single English Dub in the entire world sucks, he means the majority

And when I say the majority. I truly mean the majority of anime fans will agree with what I just said. Therefore when someone says "English Dubs suck", thats what the majority thinks and thats whats to be expected

And lets all be honest. We all know reasons why Dubs suck.



So apparently you're speaking for other people now? Ok.
When you say, "dubs suck," I see it as a claim and as you know, a claim needs to be backed up. Just because I'm curious, it would be nice if someone actually gave reasons as to why dubs suck.
47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11


Im speaking on behalf of what happens on the Internet.

Why Dubs suck? The timing of the English Dubs and the movement dont match up. The length of time they pronounce things is awkward.

Just 2 things. And you probably already knew reasons why there would be opposition to why English Dubs are not liked, but you wanted me to list them anyway. Im sure others can list some too.
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11

superluccix wrote:



Im speaking on behalf of what happens on the Internet.

Why Dubs suck? The timing of the English Dubs and the movement dont match up. The length of time they pronounce things is awkward.

Just 2 things. Im sure others can list some too.


Because the Internet is such a valuable source.

I believe the whole "lip movement" thing isn't a good enough reason, since there are simple reasons as to why this is. Though, I can understand that it can be annoying.
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 1/30/11
The only english voice I can say sounds good is Kyon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzAnxHAyCMc
Unfortunatly Haruhi starts to speak and then I turn it off.
Aya Hirano sound natural on Haruhi, the girl who is the voice to Lucy in Fairy Tail.

47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11


Oh so the opinion of the majority doesnt count for much? I see

And the Internet is indeed a valuable source.

And I agree, I wouldnt be upset over a Dub for lip movement, but the timing of it can be annoying and its mainly the whole length of how they pronounce their words.

But the bottom line is that the majority of people dislike Dubs. For whatever they reason they have, they still have a reason.

And when someone takes a handful of animes (Say 3), and watches their dubs, and dont like them, they shouldnt have to continue on to make their opinion. And if everyone takes a handful (Say 3), and comes with the same response, well then thats how we get our conclusion


And obviously I like certain Dubs. I like the DBZ dub. I like the Inuyasha Dub.
897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11

LosingOrbit wrote:


superluccix wrote:



Im speaking on behalf of what happens on the Internet.

Why Dubs suck? The timing of the English Dubs and the movement dont match up. The length of time they pronounce things is awkward.

Just 2 things. Im sure others can list some too.


Because the Internet is such a valuable source.

I believe the whole "lip movement" thing isn't a good enough reason, since there are simple reasons as to why this is. Though, I can understand that it can be annoying.


The reason why I usually don't like the english dubs is because they get VA's that sound very different from the japanese VA and it makes that character come off differently or just plain unnatural.
The Wise Wizard
100941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 1/30/11

LelouchKyonConan wrote:
English voices just aren't skilled as Japanese ones, as in japan there's way more competition and thus more variety, I mean nearly everything us dubbed by Johnny and crispin Freeman. Subs are better.

As for "more variety", does the name Rie Kugimiya ring a bell?

I'll wager if you did a statistical analysis of different seiyū for modern anime, you would find that variety is not as great as you think. You could probably see what I mean just by comparing the voice casts for your top 10 anime made in the past 3 years.

9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11
Checked out the trailer, and it was horrible.
The girls sounded stupid.

No, the girls don`t sound stupid in japanese, they sound natural and cute.
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11

superluccix wrote:



Oh so the opinion of the majority doesnt count for much? I see

And the Internet is indeed a valuable source.

And I agree, I wouldnt be upset over a Dub for lip movement, but the timing of it can be annoying and its mainly the whole length of how they pronounce their words.

But the bottom line is that the majority of people dislike Dubs. For whatever they reason they have, they still have a reason.

And when someone takes a handful of animes (Say 3), and watches their dubs, and dont like them, they shouldnt have to continue on to make their opinion. And if everyone takes a handful (Say 3), and comes with the same response, well then thats how we get our conclusion


And obviously I like certain Dubs. I like the DBZ dub. I like the Inuyasha Dub.



Don't take my words out of context. The majority don't need you to speak for them by the way.

And no, the Internet is not always a valuable source.

If something gets remade into a language it wasn't originally in, then things like lip movements are almost unavoidable. A skilled translator can make it a lot less noticeable, but can't do away with it entirely.
Same if it were an English cartoon being dubbed in Japanese.

Everyone has a right to like whatever they want. You don't have to like dubs, but these aren't opinions anyone, they are claims.


Laharlt wrote:


LosingOrbit wrote:


superluccix wrote:



Im speaking on behalf of what happens on the Internet.

Why Dubs suck? The timing of the English Dubs and the movement dont match up. The length of time they pronounce things is awkward.

Just 2 things. Im sure others can list some too.


Because the Internet is such a valuable source.

I believe the whole "lip movement" thing isn't a good enough reason, since there are simple reasons as to why this is. Though, I can understand that it can be annoying.


The reason why I usually don't like the english dubs I because they get VA's that sound very different from the japanese VA and it makes that character come off differently or just plain unnatural.


Well of course the voices are going to sound different, they're two different languages.
20435 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/30/11
Japanese subs suck, how do you even know they're even accurate?

As for me, I don't mind dubs since I originally watched them before subs. All you have to do is avoid the non-amazing ones, and everyone is happy. Anything that is a big hit will have a dub version, Bleach, Naruto, OnePiece, and now K-on.
35486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 1/30/11
Most of us are very picky when it comes to dubbing lol, I personally like samurai champloo on dub and sub.
kennk5 
60056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
66 / M / Milwaukee, Wiscon...
Offline
Posted 1/30/11
I couldn't belive how childish this forum comes off as until started looking at the ages of the writers.
Purists/weeaboos, Take up Japanese and see what you have been missing. Just remember that "something gets lost in tranlation"
I started to learn Japanese this year after being disapointed with how different subs are from DB, Viz, and many more. I think that Dubs should be offered since there are some who can benefit with this. My wife would love it since her vision is hampered by cataracts

Just remember this, "opinions are like a--holes, everyone has one"
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.