First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Weeaboo alert: K-ON! English dub trailer
47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11


Your right, I dont need to speak for the majority, since its already been made clear on the majority of forums you go to that the majority of people DONT like English Dubs.

And the whole thing about the Internet being a valuable source or not doesnt have any relevance in this. I am telling you that the majority of people dont like Dubs. Period. There is nothing more you need to read into that.

And Im sure your right, sure there will be unavoidable discrepancies when 1 language gets translated into another, but that doesnt mean we cant criticize it.

And English cartoons being Dubbed in Japanese has no relevance here either, we arent talking about this, we are talking about Japanese Dubs being translated into English, not the other way around. I still get what your saying though

And these are opinions. People say they dont like the majority of Dubs. Period. Im not making this stuff up. You go to any random number of forums that talk about English Dubs of anime and you will still get the same result for the majority.


Edit: I saw you post a response to this. But now it is gone. And I was ready to respond as well. Im not sure if this is something wrong on my side of the Internet or something you just deleted

Edit: Well I will respond to the questions I saw.

You first said Fair Enough to my first point, so thats ok

You then told me I was the one who brought up the Internet is a valuable source thing. No, you said "Because the Internet is a valuble source" So then I responded saying Yes it is a valuable source, so you brought it up.

You then told me "I never said you couldnt criticize it", something like that,.....And I never said that you did.....but since you are talking to me about English Dubs....you obviously felt something was wrong with my criticism.

You then gave me a definition between opinion and claim. And then you said you went to a bunch of forums that had people say "Dubs suck" Just because they didnt back up their opinion that Dubs suck doesnt change the fact that they still dont like the majority of Dubs.

If Im reading a post that says "Dubs Suck" the first thign that goes through my mind is "I agree", and then I recall reasons why I dislike Dubs. Sure my reasons can be different from their reasons....but regardless they still have reasons why they dont like Dubs, even if they dont post them

There arent people who say "Dubs Suck" without actually watching at least 1 Dub....nor are they saying it just to be cool


Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11

superluccix wrote:



Your right, I dont need to speak for the majority, since its already been made clear on the majority of forums you go to that the majority of people DONT like English Dubs.

And the whole thing about the Internet being a valuable source or not doesnt have any relevance in this. I am telling you that the majority of people dont like Dubs. Period. There is nothing more you need to read into that.

And Im sure your right, sure there will be unavoidable discrepancies when 1 language gets translated into another, but that doesnt mean we cant criticize it.

And English cartoons being Dubbed in Japanese has no relevance here either, we arent talking about this, we are talking about Japanese Dubs being translated into English, not the other way around. I still get what your saying though

And these are opinions. People say they dont like the majority of Dubs. Period. Im not making this stuff up. You go to any random number of forums that talk about English Dubs of anime and you will still get the same result for the majority.


Edit: I saw you post a response to this. But now it is gone. And I was ready to respond as well. Im not sure if this is something wrong on my side of the Internet or something you just deleted

Edit: Well I will respond to the questions I saw.

You first said Fair Enough to my first point, so thats ok

You then told me I was the one who brought up the Internet is a valuable source thing. No, you said "Because the Internet is a valuble source" So then I responded saying Yes it is a valuable source, so you brought it up.

You then told me "I never said you couldnt criticize it", something like that,.....And I never said that you did.....but since you are talking to me about English Dubs....you obviously felt something was wrong with my criticism.

You then gave me a definition between opinion and claim. And then you said you went to a bunch of forums that had people say "Dubs suck" Just because they didnt back up their opinion that Dubs suck doesnt change the fact that they still dont like the majority of Dubs.

If Im reading a post that says "Dubs Suck" the first thign that goes through my mind is "I agree", and then I recall reasons why I dislike Dubs. Sure my reasons can be different from their reasons....but regardless they still have reasons why they dont like Dubs

There arent people who say "Dubs Suck" without actually watching at least 1 Dub....nor are they saying it just to be cool




EDIT:

Yet in the end you still brought up the Internet. I only responded that way because I felt you were using it as an excuse for your claim, but fair enough. Though I still don't agree with most of your post, I won't continue to dwell on it since it will stretch on longer than necessary. Also, no one said you couldn't criticize anything, yet it's still a weak argument. Yes I replied to your comment because I felt something was wrong with your criticism, that's the point. Yes you need something to back up an opinion, otherwise it's a false statement and no one said they were trying to be cool.
66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 1/30/11

TheAncientOne wrote:


LelouchKyonConan wrote:
English voices just aren't skilled as Japanese ones, as in japan there's way more competition and thus more variety, I mean nearly everything us dubbed by Johnny and crispin Freeman. Subs are better.

As for "more variety", does the name Rie Kugimiya ring a bell?

I'll wager if you did a statistical analysis of different seiyū for modern anime, you would find that variety is not as great as you think. You could probably see what I mean just by comparing the voice casts for your top 10 anime made in the past 3 years.



an under payed va doesn't really count. i mean I love her death and i love most series that she is in but i understand what you mean. what that boils down to is otaku pandering to the creators they know what will sell so they don't even try, anime is businesses after all and people stick with this in order to make a profit, it would be nice to a different range of her voice like in umineko or full metal alchmeist.
47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11


What do you mean when you say "You brought up the Internet?" I brought up opinions from people on the Internet yes, but they are still peoples thoughts and those count. And of course Im using it to back up my claim. Why would I say "The majority of people dont like Dubs" if I didnt think the majority of people didnt like Dubs? Your not making sense to me.

And yes, you did reply to my comment because you felt something was wrong with my criticism, and that is exactly what i was telling you.

You said "If something gets remade into a language it wasn't originally in, then things like lip movements are almost unavoidable. A skilled translator can make it a lot less noticeable, but can't do away with it entirely.
Same if it were an English cartoon being dubbed in Japanese."

You were giving a reason as to why something happens. And I told you just because something has a reason, doesnt mean I cant criticize it. Then you said "I never said you couldnt criticize it", which was something I never implied that you said. Just an added thought

You dont need to back up an opinion for it to be a true statement.

If I said "I like bananas", I dont need to tell you the details of why i like bananas for it to be a true statement.

And once again....I NEVER said that you said they were trying to be cool. It was my own added thought.

The Bottom Line is this. Regardless of peoples reasons....whether they be small or large, does NOT change the FACT that the MAJORITY of anime watchers DISLIKE Dubs.

If we both agree on this, then why is this debate still continuing?

Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11

superluccix wrote:



What do you mean when you say "You brought up the Internet?" I brought up opinions from people on the Internet yes, but they are still peoples thoughts and those count. And of course Im using it to back up my claim. Why would I say "The majority of people dont like Dubs" if I didnt think the majority of people didnt like Dubs? Your not making sense to me.

And yes, you did reply to my comment because you felt something was wrong with my criticism, and that is exactly what i was telling you.

You said "If something gets remade into a language it wasn't originally in, then things like lip movements are almost unavoidable. A skilled translator can make it a lot less noticeable, but can't do away with it entirely.
Same if it were an English cartoon being dubbed in Japanese."

You were giving a reason as to why something happens. And I told you just because something has a reason, doesnt mean I cant criticize it. Then you said "I never said you couldnt criticize it", which was something I never implied that you said.

You dont need to back up an opinion for it to be a true statement.

If I said "I like bananas", I dont need to tell you the details of why i like bananas for it to be a true statement.

And once again....I NEVER said that you said they were trying to be cool. It was my own added thought.

The Bottom Line is this. Regardless of peoples reasons....whether they be small or large, does NOT change the FACT that the MAJORITY of anime watchers DISLIKE Dubs.



You keep bringing up points you've already made. This conversation is going nowhere and frankly, I don't even care anymore.

If you're going to say, "all dubs suck," and someone challenges your statement, adding details to support it will help you significantly.




47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 1/30/11


You are correct. Just because the majority says something doesnt make it automatically right.

HOWEVER! When both sides of the arguement can only support their side due to personal opinion and taste, since a persons taste on an animes Dub differs from person to person....the majority takes over.

And as I already stated before, NOBODY believes that EVERY SINGLE DUB sucks.

And yes of course, backing up your statement with details helps tremendously. All I was pointing out to you was that just because someone DOESNT back up their statement, doesnt mean its false.


Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11

superluccix wrote:



You are correct. Just because the majority says something doesnt make it automatically right.

HOWEVER! When both sides of the arguement can only support their side due to personal opinion and taste, since a persons taste on an animes Dub differs from person to person....the majority takes over.

And as I already stated before, NOBODY believes that EVERY SINGLE DUB sucks.

And yes of course, backing up your statement with details helps tremendously. All I was pointing out to you was that just because someone DOESNT back up their statement, doesnt mean its false.




Yes.

If you make such statements, expect a reply and expect them wanting a well thought out answer. It's only false when that person brings in actual facts stating such, otherwise it's just a battle of opinions.

Nobody believes every single dub sucks is just a claim. You can't speak for everyone, which was what I was trying to say in the whole beginning of this conversation, but I guess stated otherwise.
47115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11


Understandable, but not generally what happens for this particular question of whether Dubs suck or not.

I dont need to speak for everyone when the majority's point has been made very clear time after time again.

But I shall end this conversation. Since we have both realize that the majority of anime fans believe the majority of Dubs suck.

Posted 1/30/11

superluccix wrote:



Understandable, but not generally what happens for this particular question of whether Dubs suck or not.

I dont need to speak for everyone when the majority's point has been made very clear time after time again.

But I shall end this conversation. Since we have both realize that the majority of anime fans believe the majority of Dubs suck.



Very well then.
2015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 1/30/11

TheAncientOne wrote:


LelouchKyonConan wrote:
English voices just aren't skilled as Japanese ones, as in japan there's way more competition and thus more variety, I mean nearly everything us dubbed by Johnny and crispin Freeman. Subs are better.

As for "more variety", does the name Rie Kugimiya ring a bell?

I'll wager if you did a statistical analysis of different seiyū for modern anime, you would find that variety is not as great as you think. You could probably see what I mean just by comparing the voice casts for your top 10 anime made in the past 3 years.



I always watched anime but I didn't "really" start until a year ago

I know taht rie did alot of the cute little tsundere characters. like shana, taiga, and now rose

I'm saying that some of the best voices:
light's voice
lelouch's voice
megumi(ai haibara and rei ayanami)
aya hirano
etc


they don't do the main character who happens to be a good character to me for more than 3 series. I just don't really think that english voices are better then their sub counterpart. in fact most of the time they kind of suck. unless its johnny(except lelouch) and crispin freeman(except kyon)
jikap 
75538 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11
I'm in the "dubs translated from other languages will in a majority of cases be awkward" club :p

This goes both ways: the Japanese dubs of The Simpsons Movie trailer makes me cringe just as much as the English dubbed trailer for K-on!... it has nothing to do with the skill of the voice actors or any kind of Japanese superiority. :p
I'll watch Spanish movies with English (or Norwegian) subs to Spanish audio as well. ^^;

As far as anime goes: I may not like English dubs in anime, but if there's people who prefer it over the Japanese voice-track, then they must be doing something right. :p

Even so, I'll personally stick with the subs, thank you.
22781 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Somewhat in Asia.
Offline
Posted 1/30/11

Des85 wrote:

The only english voice I can say sounds good is Kyon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzAnxHAyCMc
Unfortunatly Haruhi starts to speak and then I turn it off.
Aya Hirano sound natural on Haruhi, the girl who is the voice to Lucy in Fairy Tail.



Kyon and Nagato's dub is way better than the Japanese one. Haruhi's dub is also not bad, although the Japanese one is still better.

53286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 1/30/11 , edited 1/30/11
Ugh, watched the link in the OP, that dub is pretty bad. They don't sound natural at all, they're talking super slow and articulating every syllable. The actual voices aside, it sounds really weird and unnatural. Some dubs aren't bad, but I could barely take one minute of that one.


As for "more variety", does the name Rie Kugimiya ring a bell?


rofl funny and true story:

When I started watching Hayate no Gotoku!, I immediately thought that Nagi's voice sounded extremely familiar. At first I was like "man she sounds just like Shana". "wait no maybe it's Louise from Zero no Tsukaima" "wait no maybe it was Taiga from Toradora!" I decided to look it up since it was bothering me, and it turns out I was right about ALL of them.
25581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 1/30/11
The horror! Most dubs are horrible, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya dub is acceptable though.
66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 1/30/11

Kenreyu wrote:

The horror! Most dubs are horrible, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya dub is acceptable though.


did you watch the lucky star one?? it actually surprised the hell out me then agian most va in the dub for harui where in lucky star dub
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.