First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Whats your most dispised religion?
Member
1237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/1/08 , edited 4/18/08
the baptist and catholics
Moderator
1783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/7/08 , edited 4/18/08

Arrtos_Tarne wrote:

I don't really despise them i despise the ideas and thoughts of all religious groups.






Second.
Moderator
3229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/4/08 , edited 4/18/08
I accept all religions. except for those stupid jr high and high school kids trying to get attention by being wiccan and stuff like that. But mainly it is just the super conservative people.
Posted 4/16/08 , edited 4/18/08
I don't really hate a specific religion, more so people who practice a specific religion.

Point in mind:

My mom's boyfriend’s sister (eheh..) is A Jehovah Witness. She was over at my mother’s house one day when my boyfriend and I stopped by. I introduced everyone, and when she heard he was my boyfriend she started asking us when we were going to get married. I told her not until we're both financially stable, and then she proceeded to preach to me how it was my duty to serve my man and basically be in the house cooking, cleaning, and popping out babies ALA Monty Pythons Meaning of Life. I've only met the woman 2 times and she has the nerve to tell me how I should be living my life? If those are her ideals and they work for her then fine, but don't shove your crap down my throat simply because you want to be subservient to your religion.

That's just one example. I probably could go on about other instances but I'm sure everyone here has had simular ones.
Member
464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 6/5/08
Catholocism and Mormonism

Mormonism is basically because it looks as if it has some incredible power to "stupify" people more that Catholocism can (how incredible that may sound)
To convince people that "sacred panties" can save your life, is really amazing..

i wont even start with my huge list i got on catholocism...
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/22/08

saywhaat wrote:

Catholocism and Mormonism

Mormonism is basically because it looks as if it has some incredible power to "stupify" people more that Catholocism can (how incredible that may sound)
To convince people that "sacred panties" can save your life, is really amazing..

i wont even start with my huge list i got on catholocism...


Well, I’m not saying I like or dislike either of those groups. I am however noting that most of the stuff you’ve heard about them is probably a load of crap. Catholics aren’t nearly so bad as you might imagine. Mormons have some strange beliefs, I’ll grant, but that religion is really a beautiful denomination of Christianity. It draws families together and has benefited nations all across the world, especially (but not limited to) Canada and the U.S.A.

As far as Catholics, their beliefs are largely misunderstood because they’re constantly evolving.
Member
209 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Chalreston, SC
Offline
Posted 6/25/08 , edited 6/25/08
anyone who says that you will burn for not believing that you are evil with out rules of god and that you cannot be trusted for you lack of belief. It is people like that who cause many people to join the dominant religion in the area out of fear of retribution by friends to get a job or to get food a handout for the day to survive. If my choice in life was religion or death I probably would have ended up as an atheist.
Member
464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 6/27/08

SeraphAlford wrote:


saywhaat wrote:

Catholocism and Mormonism

Mormonism is basically because it looks as if it has some incredible power to "stupify" people more that Catholocism can (how incredible that may sound)
To convince people that "sacred panties" can save your life, is really amazing..

i wont even start with my huge list i got on catholocism...


Well, I’m not saying I like or dislike either of those groups. I am however noting that most of the stuff you’ve heard about them is probably a load of crap. Catholics aren’t nearly so bad as you might imagine. Mormons have some strange beliefs, I’ll grant, but that religion is really a beautiful denomination of Christianity. It draws families together and has benefited nations all across the world, especially (but not limited to) Canada and the U.S.A.

As far as Catholics, their beliefs are largely misunderstood because they’re constantly evolving.


Dont misunderstand me, i never dislike a person because he/she is catholic/mormon, but i dislike catholocism and mormonism because of the values they hold, ofcourse those mormons picking and choosing whatever they prefer, is those i wouldnt really call mormons..

they might have drawn families together, but on many occasions they do the exact oposite, and even if they drey families together is in the expense of what?
Think westborough baptist church, maybe not that extreme, but milder cases are often seen..

I would like to mention scientology, it ranks on the side with catholocism..

And dont misunderstand me on catholocism either, even if filipinos misunderstand it and have their children beat themselves, and the men hang/carry the cross etc etc, its not that, heck those people arent catholic, they only think they are..

What a dont like is the pope, not knowing when and where things should (as you put it) evolve..
If newborn dont get baptiste and they die, they go to limbo, an eternal state of nothingness, he luckily withdrew that statement, but what the hell is he even thinking? dragging people back to the dark ages.. damn...

i would like to write a whole lot, but im having a party soon and i need to clean up, my apartment seriously looks like an earthquake just happened..
Posted 8/30/08
I think every religion is a poison.

Not to say that I necessarily hate someone with religious inclinations, but religion itself I do.
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/3/08

Donegal wrote:

I think every religion is a poison.

Not to say that I necessarily hate someone with religious inclinations, but religion itself I do.


Could you elaborate? I’m religious so I don’t entirely agree. In my opinion –organized- religion is poison, but not religion itself. After all, a religion is simply a way of life based on beliefs instead of facts. To say all religion is poison is a lot like saying all opinion is poison.
Posted 9/3/08

SeraphAlford wrote:


Donegal wrote:

I think every religion is a poison.

Not to say that I necessarily hate someone with religious inclinations, but religion itself I do.


Could you elaborate? I’m religious so I don’t entirely agree. In my opinion –organized- religion is poison, but not religion itself. After all, a religion is simply a way of life based on beliefs instead of facts. To say all religion is poison is a lot like saying all opinion is poison.


Yes. The way I phrased it as "every religion" was meant to imply religion as in organized group religion, although I do find the idea of religion in whatever form distasteful and unnecessary.

I certainly find organized religion a negative influence and truly a blight on humanity. It is nothing more than a thinly veiled scheme to control the masses and keep them placated and ignorant.

As in another post, I must say that I think you misunderstand the definition of the word religion, which I shall repost for the sake of anyone reading this post. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/religion
1 a: the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Religion is not simply a lifestyle based on belief and faith rather than fact. It is a lifestyle and way of thinking that is derived from the direction of some supposedly holy person(s) and/or holy writing(s) and is supposedly linked with the "divine," whatever you may purport that to be.
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/3/08
You know, the definition you provided from the dictionary and the definition you gave in your personal words were not the same thing. Besides this, you don’t call upon the dictionary to decide what something is or is not.

I mean, let’s say my aspiration is to be a psychologist. In order for this dream to be realized I must truly understand what the mind is. To do this I wouldn’t look for the word in a dictionary. I’d actually study it and see how it compares contrasts with other things.

Let’s say I’m a zoologist trying to identify a new species of turtle. How would I show that this turtle is its own species outside of any other species? I’d find what every member of this new species has in common and how that contrasts with the members of every other species. We can do the same thing with religion.

Shinto, Buddhism, Christianity, Sikhism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Scientology, Wicca, Native Religious traditions, Jainism, Confucianism, Zoroastrianism, Roman/Greek Mythology, Aztec Mythology, Egyptian/Sumerian mythology, Daoism, and countless others-these are all religions. Look the terms up in a dictionary and the dictionary will tell you that they’re religions.

Yet, the only thing that all of these share in common is that they’re ways of life based on belief. Let’s glance at your personally provided definition, shall we?


It is a lifestyle and way of thinking that is derived from the direction of some supposedly holy person(s) and/or holy writing(s) and is supposedly linked with the "divine," whatever you may purport that to be.


Anyone really educated in theology would immediately see why your perception of religion doesn’t coincide with the reality of the matter.

Rather than explain this, I’ll use an example. Buddhism is a religion, no? Well, there’s no “holly,” cannon or text in the Buddhist religion. Buddha was not divine or connected to the divine or the super natural. As a matter of a fact Buddhism teaches that there is no eternal self and it isn’t particular to any deity, divinity, or spirit.

Buddhism is summarized as an “Eightfold path.” Essentially it’s a guide to how we can become happy in life by separating ourselves from sorrow, seeking the truth, and acquiring nirvana.

As far as religion being distasteful…well, that’s in the tongue of the taster. For me atheism is distasteful and unnecessary. Actually, as an atheist I was suicidal, angry, and dangerous. As a Christian I’m happy and have a sense of purpose that motivates me to try and understand the world. Because of this I’m now a full time college student instead of a delinquent breaking into cars and starting fights on the side of the street.

Religion –was- necessary, for me. It was also absolutely delicious. Is it a crutch? Oh, yeah, sometimes. I don’t believe it because it’s convenient, but it –is- convenient.

Calling organized religion a tool invented to control people is historically inaccurate. It wasn’t something we just invented. Actually, it was something that developed accidently. People have used it to control people, but it’s hardly a scheme. At least not collectively.

You know, religion has statistically saved more life than it’s taken?

None the less, I will agree that organized religion is used as a tool to manipulate people, though in most cases that wasn’t the original intent. It’s kind of like how Bohr invented nuclear weapons trying to understand science. His quest was noble-a search for knowledge and education-its consummation was not.

This being said, party politics is just as dangerous-probably more so in the western world-as religion, yet nobody seems to attack that.






Posted 9/5/08

SeraphAlford wrote:

You know, the definition you provided from the dictionary and the definition you gave in your personal words were not the same thing. Besides this, you don’t call upon the dictionary to decide what something is or is not.

I mean, let’s say my aspiration is to be a psychologist. In order for this dream to be realized I must truly understand what the mind is. To do this I wouldn’t look for the word in a dictionary. I’d actually study it and see how it compares contrasts with other things.

Let’s say I’m a zoologist trying to identify a new species of turtle. How would I show that this turtle is its own species outside of any other species? I’d find what every member of this new species has in common and how that contrasts with the members of every other species. We can do the same thing with religion.

Shinto, Buddhism, Christianity, Sikhism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Scientology, Wicca, Native Religious traditions, Jainism, Confucianism, Zoroastrianism, Roman/Greek Mythology, Aztec Mythology, Egyptian/Sumerian mythology, Daoism, and countless others-these are all religions. Look the terms up in a dictionary and the dictionary will tell you that they’re religions.

Yet, the only thing that all of these share in common is that they’re ways of life based on belief. Let’s glance at your personally provided definition, shall we?


It is a lifestyle and way of thinking that is derived from the direction of some supposedly holy person(s) and/or holy writing(s) and is supposedly linked with the "divine," whatever you may purport that to be.


Anyone really educated in theology would immediately see why your perception of religion doesn’t coincide with the reality of the matter.

Rather than explain this, I’ll use an example. Buddhism is a religion, no? Well, there’s no “holly,” cannon or text in the Buddhist religion. Buddha was not divine or connected to the divine or the super natural. As a matter of a fact Buddhism teaches that there is no eternal self and it isn’t particular to any deity, divinity, or spirit.

Buddhism is summarized as an “Eightfold path.” Essentially it’s a guide to how we can become happy in life by separating ourselves from sorrow, seeking the truth, and acquiring nirvana.


As you'll see in my quote, I say holy writing and/or person, as in the source of the set of beliefs could be a text and/or a person (ie Buddha). Besides which, there is a debate over whether or not Buddhism ought to be a religion, but I'll not get into that.


SeraphAlford
As far as religion being distasteful…well, that’s in the tongue of the taster. For me atheism is distasteful and unnecessary. Actually, as an atheist I was suicidal, angry, and dangerous. As a Christian I’m happy and have a sense of purpose that motivates me to try and understand the world. Because of this I’m now a full time college student instead of a delinquent breaking into cars and starting fights on the side of the street.

Religion –was- necessary, for me. It was also absolutely delicious. Is it a crutch? Oh, yeah, sometimes. I don’t believe it because it’s convenient, but it –is- convenient.


Just out of curiosity, why do you think atheism is distasteful? What makes it unnecessary?


SeraphAlfordCalling organized religion a tool invented to control people is historically inaccurate. It wasn’t something we just invented. Actually, it was something that developed accidently. People have used it to control people, but it’s hardly a scheme. At least not collectively.


Reading I've done has told me otherwise. Religion was developed accidentally, as you say yourself, and not through any divine intervention. If you realize that religion was something accidentally developed, why put any trust in it?

Religion developed with our intelligence as a species. As our minds developed and we became more aware of ourselves and the world we live in, as a species we came to feel the need for a purpose, a guide, a "reason for living."

However, it's usefulness and comfort don't make religion true.


SeraphAlford
You know, religion has statistically saved more life than it’s taken?


Where did you hear? I'd like to see that statistic, because religion has killed an AWFUL lot of people.


SeraphAlford
None the less, I will agree that organized religion is used as a tool to manipulate people, though in most cases that wasn’t the original intent. It’s kind of like how Bohr invented nuclear weapons trying to understand science. His quest was noble-a search for knowledge and education-its consummation was not.

This being said, party politics is just as dangerous-probably more so in the western world-as religion, yet nobody seems to attack that.


I agree, manipulation was not it's original intent (I think it was more a way to explain ourselves). However, it long ago become such a tool and still is today.

Party politics is dangerous, not least of all because its divisiveness stagnates progress. That's why I'm an Independent
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/6/08

Donegal wrote:

As you'll see in my quote, I say holy writing and/or person, as in the source of the set of beliefs could be a text and/or a person (ie Buddha). Besides which, there is a debate over whether or not Buddhism ought to be a religion, but I'll not get into that.


Well, Buddha was not holy and did not consider himself to be. He was simply wise and supposedly achieved enlightenment. Still, there are many Buddhists and a few theologians who dislike Buddhism’s classification as a religion. You are right, it’s debated. However, even excluding Buddhism we still have native religions.


…Shinto has no found, no orthodox cannon of sacred literature, and no explicit code of ethical requirement.
(Living Religions by Mary Pat Fisher.)

Shinto doesn’t fit into your definition either. There’s no central person(s) or teacher(s) or any form of literature to it.

Native American religions provide perhaps an even better example.


Just out of curiosity, why do you think atheism is distasteful? What makes it unnecessary?


I wasn’t always as religious as I am now. Atheism just doesn’t suit people like me. Again, it’s all in the tongue of the taster. Atheism is good for some people and not for others. I think we should assess things on a more individual level in life instead of imbuing ourselves with the hopelessness of politics.


Reading I've done has told me otherwise. Religion was developed accidentally, as you say yourself, and not through any divine intervention. If you realize that religion was something accidentally developed, why put any trust in it?

Religion developed with our intelligence as a species. As our minds developed and we became more aware of ourselves and the world we live in, as a species we came to feel the need for a purpose, a guide, a "reason for living."

However, its usefulness and comfort don't make religion true.


You’re starting to contradict yourself. First you’re saying it’s unnecessary, now you’re saying that we need it for a sense of purpose. Well, John Bowker already showed that we’re evolutionarily predisposed and programmed toward religion. It’s one of our basic biological and psychological functions. A survival mechanism.

Why do I believe it? You know, I learned multiplication by looking at a clock. It was a complete accident, I was just a first grade boy wanting desperately to get out of class. That didn’t make it untrue. Well, in any case, I was speaking secularly. My religious belief is that Christianity was revealed to us by God.

As far as why I believed… Well, for a number of reasons. I kind of converted because of science and logic. I can justify and validate my belief quite easily. Truth is, however, I don’t see what good it would do. I’m a mystic, it’s all about personal experience.


Where did you hear? I'd like to see that statistic, because religion has killed an AWFUL lot of people.


Actually, most of the things we blame on religion spawned for politics and money. Still, organized religion has caused a lot of death. There’s simply no denying that. How do I know that it’s brought more life?
Common sense, really.
First, medically. Prayer has been proven to be effective by multiple studies. The most famous of which was the one in San Fran Cisco. Statistics also show that people who read scriptures or attend religious gatherings are happier and healthier-less likely to develop stress or depression related medical problems. There is, of course, no way to document how many people would’ve died without this but studies have made it very clear that death tolls during times of poverty or plague would’ve climbed to a much higher peak.

Then, there’s the fact that the value in human life was spread by Judeo/Christian movements. Now, you claim that even a secular person can conclude this same thing. Richard Dawkins and I both disagree, but even assuming you’re right and you can arrive to value human life without some kind of religious influence…most people can’t. Maybe you and a minority can, but the fact is that most people aren’t able to do this.
Naturally, we can’t ignore all the mass scale charities, mission trips, and all that jazz that religion brings about in the modern world. Hell, Islamic countries actually give out massive portions of their GDP to relief programs because it’s one of the pillars of Islam.


I agree, manipulation was not it's original intent (I think it was more a way to explain ourselves). However, it long ago become such a tool and still is today.

Party politics is dangerous, not least of all because its divisiveness stagnates progress. That's why I'm an Independent


Well, -some- organized religion is used as a tool. I think it’d be a vast generalization to stereotype every religious foundation…. But, again, even if we have a church that doesn’t manipulate people we know it still has the power to manipulate people…this makes it dangerous, and so I’m still not fond of organized religion. But, again, it’s organized religions influence in my life that brought me to Christianity and gave me these values.

As far as politics goes… I’m a Republicrat….or a Demublican, whichever you choose. :P

Anywho, it’s fun talking to you. Can I send you a buddy request?



First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.