Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Tell me all about your start in Anime
399 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / California
Offline
Posted 2/18/11
In 3rd grade, my friend let me borrow some of her Pita Ten manga.
But I didn't really start liking anime and manga until 5th, where I met my friend who was already obsessed with it.
She told me all about anime...
Oh, and most of my friends are asian (which means 99% of them watched anime) so they influenced me a bunch.
174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Paradiso
Offline
Posted 2/19/11
This will make people laugh i got started by going to youtube and finding a gmod video with cararmeldancen a swedish band song which led me to find a video with lucky star singing it then after that iv been watching anime ever since short and sweet story Dont like it well to bad
1009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / NC
Offline
Posted 2/19/11
At first I never knew that anime even exisit. Then one day my friend Lena came over to my house and she showed me this anime called "Naruto" and i loved it! I watched every episode of naruto and i was addicted to it for real! Then after that i decided to go and look for more anime to watch. I would everyday go and look for more anime that was anime, now i probably seen so many animes i cant even count how many animes i've watched.
536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 2/19/11

PhoenixBlaze wrote:

I started watching a young age, first with Pokemon, then Dragonball Z and Dragonball. Mostly all the anime that I saw was from toonami some of the shows that saw there were Outlaw Star, Blue Submarine no 6 (OVA), sailormoon, Big O, Gundam Wing(+ Endless Waltz Movie) and a few others I cant remember. Then I went to watching anime on Adultswim some of the shows that I watch there were FLCL, Paranoia agent, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo. I stopped watching for a couple of years then during my junior year in high school I went and started to watch anime again but this time I was watching anime online some of the shows I watched were Air(TV), Shuffle(TV), Gundam Seed & Destiny. Now while Im in college, I watch a vast variety of anime- Yosuga no Sora, Kiss x Sis, Koreha Zombie Desuka, Baka to test to shoukanjuu, Infinite Stratos, Wandering Son(Hourou Musuko), Level E, Freezing, Destiny of the Shrine Maiden (Kannazuki no Miko), Overdrive and others.


Pokemon's great, i love it since i was young. Besides, i am a similar course of watching anime as you >.<~~~~~~~~~



536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 2/19/11

AnimeNewby wrote:

This will make people laugh i got started by going to youtube and finding a gmod video with cararmeldancen a swedish band song which led me to find a video with lucky star singing it then after that iv been watching anime ever since short and sweet story Dont like it well to bad


Not bad i sometimes start watching anime just because it is recommended on some webs!!!!!!!!!!


7838 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Philippines
Offline
Posted 2/19/11 , edited 2/19/11

AnimeNewby wrote:

This will make people laugh i got started by going to youtube and finding a gmod video with cararmeldancen a swedish band song which led me to find a video with lucky star singing it then after that iv been watching anime ever since short and sweet story Dont like it well to bad

Sounds like it's my favorite anime.
23036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / M / boys locker room
Offline
Posted 2/19/11
*notices really long stories, many revolving around childhood* Yeah... I picked up Hellsing vol.1 back in '08, and really liked it...
AZFox 
37629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / La La Land ;o
Offline
Posted 2/19/11 , edited 2/19/11

BeefiestName wrote:
Your story sounds similar to my own. Probably because we both saw the same stuff on Cartoon Network in the mid 90s.


Considering you're about the same age as myself, I'm not so surprised. We truly had the golden era of cartoons then, as well as some anime.
Posted 2/19/11
I never knew what anime was until I watched and discussed Naruto with classmates. Before then, I always thought animes were made by Americans. Naruto got me to start liking anime, but I didn't really start watching a lot until recently last year. My friend introduced me to some animes, and I started watching more after that.
54098 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 2/21/11

AZFox wrote:


BeefiestName wrote:
Your story sounds similar to my own. Probably because we both saw the same stuff on Cartoon Network in the mid 90s.


Considering you're about the same age as myself, I'm not so surprised. We truly had the golden era of cartoons then, as well as some anime.


Yeah, we were pretty lucky to have those years. I'm not much of a fan of the newer trends in cartoons that kids are having to settle for these days. If our old shows were still the norm I'd probably still be watching them to this day. Do you remember a show called Gargoyles? It's probably one of the better cartoons from that era. So many of the voice actors were stars from Star Trek: The Next Generation. It kind of had the same feel as Batman: The Animated Series.
65595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/21/11 , edited 2/21/11
sailor moon on upn when i was 6 back in 1992. Then vs tapes from my local video store then yes fans subs for episodes encoded at 50 megs each over dial up oh god the pain and the quality was so bad.., so many people don't know how good they have it today.
19110 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 2/21/11
the first anime I watched Sailor Moon on Fox Kids ^^; from there it went the pretty much default route of Pokemon, Digimon.. (loved), DragonBall Z. Wasn't till teenage years that I starting watching non-americanized shows and really started getting interested (even drew/painted an 9ft manga comic for GCSE Art :3)
AZFox 
37629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / La La Land ;o
Offline
Posted 2/21/11

BeefiestName wrote:
Yeah, we were pretty lucky to have those years. I'm not much of a fan of the newer trends in cartoons that kids are having to settle for these days. If our old shows were still the norm I'd probably still be watching them to this day. Do you remember a show called Gargoyles? It's probably one of the better cartoons from that era. So many of the voice actors were stars from Star Trek: The Next Generation. It kind of had the same feel as Batman: The Animated Series.


Yeah, I watched much of that. The Mighty Ducks and Darkwing Duck as well. Disney was also at it's best during that time too. Many cartoons lack that "saturday morning" feel to them anymore, and it's a real bummer. Even some anime gave me those vibes.
54098 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 2/21/11

AZFox wrote:


BeefiestName wrote:
Yeah, we were pretty lucky to have those years. I'm not much of a fan of the newer trends in cartoons that kids are having to settle for these days. If our old shows were still the norm I'd probably still be watching them to this day. Do you remember a show called Gargoyles? It's probably one of the better cartoons from that era. So many of the voice actors were stars from Star Trek: The Next Generation. It kind of had the same feel as Batman: The Animated Series.


Yeah, I watched much of that. The Mighty Ducks and Darkwing Duck as well. Disney was also at it's best during that time too. Many cartoons lack that "saturday morning" feel to them anymore, and it's a real bummer. Even some anime gave me those vibes.


As much as I hate to be cliche, DBZ and Sailor Moon both fit the "Saturday Morning" mold pretty well. They'd fit right in alongside X-Men and Spiderman. I used to laugh at The Mighty Ducks but I found myself watching it because it came on either before or after Gargoyles. It's fun to be so nostalgic. I don't get a chance to reflect on those good times that often.
AZFox 
37629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / La La Land ;o
Offline
Posted 2/21/11 , edited 2/21/11

BeefiestName wrote:
As much as I hate to be cliche, DBZ and Sailor Moon both fit the "Saturday Morning" mold pretty well.


That they did, that they did. I miss being able to enjoy myself like that. Not that I don't enjoy myself with what I watch now, but I wish there were more anime that could give me that feeling. The last one I watched that felt similar was Bobobo. As for American cartoons, good ones seem to be too far and few between now.

EDIT: Actually, I could add MSG and Wing under there as well. They had that sort of feel.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.