To be in The Dark
Posted 2/19/11
I was at this store in Tinseltown called "Vikings and Dragons," where I came across this sticker called "Kanji Fairy of Darkness."



Since Japanese Kanji writing is based on the Chinese calligraphic system, each character is a graphic symbol with value and meaning. Kinda like forming sentence with pictures, if you will. And this gave me an opportunity to tell a story behind the concept of the character "闇"/darkness to the shopkeeper, and she in return gave me that very sticker. I'll share with you the story.

You see, the character itself is a combination of two other characters, "門"/door on the outside containing "音"/sound within it. I know initially this won't make any sense to people, when sound has nothing to do with the character "光"/light. Because light doesn't make a sound. But upon further introspection, this combination has a deep and sinister twist on how we conceptualize knowledge about everything through spoken language. Or sounds with meanings.

Think about it, how would you describe what darkness is to those who were born blind? Or what light means to others that were born deaf? How about to the rest with normal sight and hearing? When there's no meaningful sounds in the first place.

When you choose not to express anything at all, you encase yourself in darkness.
1288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
A small place in...
Offline
Posted 2/19/11

DomFortress wrote:



When you choose not to express anything at all, you encase yourself in darkness.

I am probably speaking out of term here, but for anyone with disability, whether it is blind or mute or deaf, normal people would never understand the path they are in, but it doesn't mean that one should not look out or reach out for one another. This reminds me of the real life story of the Miracle worker, of Hellen Keller who was struck deaf and blind when she was just a baby, and the teacher Anne Sullivan who taught her how to communicate through spelling words on her hand.

Hence my agreement to your earlier post, when one refuses to reach out but refuses to communicate or understand and to reach out, but is blind to their hatred or deaf to their prejudices or mute to their stereotypes that they refuse to understand each other' perspectives and change or negotiate or settle things peacefully between one another, thus they are the one who are truly encased in darkness..

PS:
"[L]istening to leaders like Nasser, Ben Bella, and Nkrumah awakened me to the dangers of racism. I realized racism isn't just a black and white problem. It's brought bloodbaths to about every nation on earth at one time or another.

Brother, remember the time that white college girl came into the restaurant—the one who wanted to help the [Black] Muslims and the whites get together—and I told her there wasn't a ghost of a chance and she went away crying? Well, I've lived to regret that incident. In many parts of the African continent I saw white students helping black people. Something like this kills a lot of argument. I did many things as a [Black] Muslim that I'm sorry for now. I was a zombie then—like all [Black] Muslims—I was hypnotized, pointed in a certain direction and told to march. Well, I guess a man's entitled to make a fool of himself if he's ready to pay the cost. It cost me 12 years.

That was a bad scene, brother. The sickness and madness of those days—I'm glad to be free of them."
- Malcom X
Posted 2/19/11
Without certain sensory inputs, we are left alone to suffer without any definition of the world around us. Though we have the intimacy of touch, so much is lost by the removal of sight and hearing.
Posted 2/20/11 , edited 2/20/11

Northboundsnow wrote:


DomFortress wrote:



When you choose not to express anything at all, you encase yourself in darkness.

I am probably speaking out of term here, but for anyone with disability, whether it is blind or mute or deaf, normal people would never understand the path they are in, but it doesn't mean that one should not look out or reach out for one another. This reminds me of the real life story of the Miracle worker, of Hellen Keller who was struck deaf and blind when she was just a baby, and the teacher Anne Sullivan who taught her how to communicate through spelling words on her hand.

Hence my agreement to your earlier post, when one refuses to reach out but refuses to communicate or understand and to reach out, but is blind to their hatred or deaf to their prejudices or mute to their stereotypes that they refuse to understand each other' perspectives and change or negotiate or settle things peacefully between one another, thus they are the one who are truly encased in darkness..

PS:
"[L]istening to leaders like Nasser, Ben Bella, and Nkrumah awakened me to the dangers of racism. I realized racism isn't just a black and white problem. It's brought bloodbaths to about every nation on earth at one time or another.

Brother, remember the time that white college girl came into the restaurant—the one who wanted to help the [Black] Muslims and the whites get together—and I told her there wasn't a ghost of a chance and she went away crying? Well, I've lived to regret that incident. In many parts of the African continent I saw white students helping black people. Something like this kills a lot of argument. I did many things as a [Black] Muslim that I'm sorry for now. I was a zombie then—like all [Black] Muslims—I was hypnotized, pointed in a certain direction and told to march. Well, I guess a man's entitled to make a fool of himself if he's ready to pay the cost. It cost me 12 years.

That was a bad scene, brother. The sickness and madness of those days—I'm glad to be free of them."
- Malcom X
Exactly, the key here is that it was a choice of "refusal" made understandable and with intentions. Howbeit not a good one at all.

The opposite of a hero isn't a villain, it is a bystander.
The opposite of love isn't hate, it is indifference.
The opposite of good isn't evil, it is apathy.



NE1469 wrote:

Without certain sensory inputs, we are left alone to suffer without any definition of the world around us. Though we have the intimacy of touch, so much is lost by the removal of sight and hearing.
Then bare witness to the awe inspiring feast of touch and human innovation.
Posted 2/25/11
Yea unless you dont talk cause you do not want ppl to hate you
Posted 2/26/11 , edited 2/26/11

ufogoat29 wrote:

Yea unless you dont talk cause you do not want ppl to hate you
You can't please everyone, especially in a world where people only desire about their own self-interests. Essentially your expression- your very own light of your being -will pale others' in contrast so long as you are being honest with yourself. Not misleading.

Think about the corporations and even the governments for examples, they hidden their mistakes and dirty secrets from the public all the time because of their own egos.
Posted 2/26/11
I only see "boxes" of the kanji characters you wrote. My "character encoding" on my web page view tool doesn't help.
What character encoding I should download to see those kanjis?
Posted 2/26/11

onibrotonel wrote:

I only see "boxes" of the kanji characters you wrote. My "character encoding" on my web page view tool doesn't help.
What character encoding I should download to see those kanjis?
I use Firefox, and while I'm not to clear on the details I can select the "language" display in "content" tab using "options" from "tools." Does that help?
54478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/11
Interesting.

So in this case, "sound" means something more along the lines of language, or spoken words rather than noise?
Posted 2/27/11

Taedrin wrote:

Interesting.

So in this case, "sound" means something more along the lines of language, or spoken words rather than noise?
As I said, any spoken language is a sound with values and means, thus makes it arbitrary by default. Therefore even a shouting noise like "hey" is a language, when it's meant to draw attention.
Posted 3/2/11
Nothing, nothing nothing, there is no black fairy...no celtic black fairy....in any launguage, but,

there is a dark muse....


O Yeats...
55941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / Midwest, rural Am...
Offline
Posted 5/2/11

DomFortress wrote:



The words "darkness" & "sound" together made my strangely working mind go in a totally different direction, lyrics to a song from a 1964 song written by Paul Simon & sung by Simon & Garfunkel ---- the first verse here

The Sound of Silence

Hello darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk to with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence.

Please excuse my ramblings.................................................................
Posted 5/2/11
The Leanan Sidhe says

I am the night
I fly on onyx wings
Many secrets I have hidden
Dreams of Paupers, sins of Kings...

and the wind
she
travels
with her.
You must be logged in to post.