First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Where have all the good anime's gone?
21216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Dublin
Offline
Posted 2/20/11
I have felt the lack of Character Development and story-line these days... However on the romance front i do have to disagree. We have had some great breakthroughs in late 2010.

Yosuga no sora - (Character Developmet 10/10, Storyline 9/10, art 10/10 and mature auidence? YES!)
Amagami SS
Highschool of the dead
etc

2011 has proven to be a downer so far though...

But March and april is going to make up for that. I can't wait!
3064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Pilipinas
Offline
Posted 2/20/11
tastes vary..is just so happens that these school themed anime have wider audiences and/or have many fans.. and there's a lot more genres there to choose from..just do your research..
66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Online
Posted 2/20/11 , edited 2/20/11

clannad3 wrote:

I have felt the lack of Character Development and story-line these days... However on the romance front i do have to disagree. We have had some great breakthroughs in late 2010.

Yosuga no sora - (Character Developmet 10/10, Storyline 9/10, art 10/10 and mature auidence? YES!)
Amagami SS
Highschool of the dead
etc

2011 has proven to be a downer so far though...

But March and april is going to make up for that. I can't wait!


people need to think of anime like america's hollywood there going to be winners then there are going to be losers.I think some of the winners this season are kore no zombie, gosick, wandering son, bleezbub, yuki merry and madoka "for wtf reasons" Some of the meh is mitusdmoe 2, dragon crisis and level E. Fractle I have yet to watch because i will not watch anything less than 480p and all funimation has is 360p >_> the rest this season i give 2 craps less about but that's just me.
534 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 2/20/11

turboyoshi wrote:

Anime in general is seen as childish and aimed mostly at kids and young males/otaku, so nothing has really changed. Things go in cycles, and right now you are seeing a cycle where lolis, and big breasted fighting women is selling the most so that's what producers are going to keep making until the trend changes.

Percentage wise, very few anime are actually successful so the method is to produce as much as possible hoping something will make enough money to justify it all. Anime fans just weren't aware of all the failures before because if it makes it to the american market, then that's because it has already proven successful in japan. Now with everything being so accessible through the internet, we can see how much garbage is out there and how rare good anime are.

Another thing, personal tastes vary widely, so just because you think those are the good anime, doesn't mean those are the only good ones. I actually don't care for most of the anime you've listed.


Childish maybe not ??????

27458 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Unknown
Offline
Posted 2/20/11 , edited 2/20/11
Sky will not collapse with Naruto, Bleach, Reborn! and other shounen anime still continue to exist.
23326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Takamagahara
Offline
Posted 2/21/11

Chiibihime wrote:


MullerCherry

Stuff like Madoka and Rio are slowly, but surely killing the Anime industry for older audiences, without a doubt.



Madoka Magica is a series for older males :'p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica

It is NOT aimed at children. Your argument is null and void.
Yes, Cute girls doing cute things = Older male.
IF this is the intelligence levels of the general populace. We are in trouble.


1190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Seoul
Offline
Posted 2/21/11 , edited 2/21/11

MullerCherry wrote:

Chiibihime wrote:

MullerCherry
Stuff like Madoka and Rio are slowly, but surely killing the Anime industry for older audiences, without a doubt.

Madoka Magica is a series for older males :'p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica
It is NOT aimed at children. Your argument is null and void.
Yes, Cute girls doing cute things = Older male.
IF this is the intelligence levels of the general populace. We are in trouble.

Rio, and a lot of titles this season (e.g Infinite Stratos, To Aru Majutsu no Index) for that matter, are pretty mediocre or just plain shit, I'll give you that. But may I ask if you've actually watched Madoka up to its latest episodes? Because from episode 3 onwards, things aren't something that you'd consider as 'cute'. It's actually a deconstruction of the magical girl genre and a pretty cynical series in general, with some close ties with the German tragedy Faust. I find the show completely deviating from your standard mahou shoujo title as a fresh take of air, as it manages to take the most cliched tropes from the said genre and proceeds in subverting it in a rather unexpected manner.

If there's any other title that I find at least worth watching this season imo, it would be Horou Musuko, Fractale and Kimi ni Todoke; but even then, all of them, especially the latter has quite a few notable flaws.

I agree that the last few years, including this one's been rather lackluster in overall; at most, you'll find about 1 or 2 really good titles per season if you're lucky, mostly from noitaminA or SHAFT. I've also noticed that Madhouse's been rather disappointing lately in terms of the quality of their recent productions (e.g the Marvel Hero adaptations, Highschool of the Dead, etc).
75434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/21/11

MullerCherry wrote:


Chiibihime wrote:


MullerCherry

Stuff like Madoka and Rio are slowly, but surely killing the Anime industry for older audiences, without a doubt.



Madoka Magica is a series for older males :'p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica

It is NOT aimed at children. Your argument is null and void.
Yes, Cute girls doing cute things = Older male.
IF this is the intelligence levels of the general populace. We are in trouble.




It's clear you haven't bothered to actually WATCH the show. I don't know about intelligence, but you're definitely demonstrating a level of ignorance previously found only in Fox Television anti-Mass Effect panelists.
23326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Takamagahara
Offline
Posted 2/21/11 , edited 2/21/11
@HirakuNoShadow - I have indeed watched Madoka, But I will not lie and pretend to know what I'm on about when I watched it. It seemed to try and cater for any and all audiences with a somewhat Psuedo psychological plot, with a cast akin to a typical 'Cute girls doing cute things' Anime.

I somewhat disagree with Stratos, I easily believe it to be one of the best shows of the year, trailing slightly behind Kore wa zombie desu ka.

In terms of sales, Madoka does fairly average compared to other titles already out there, in the age where the big 3 are dying, new Mangaka and Animation studios such as KyoAni are desperate to find the next sleeper hit, So I can understand a flurry of Moe-Blob, Cliche ridden anime. It just makes sense in the industry. Same goes for Madhouse, Shaft and the others.

I just find that these days. Revenue and wallet filling take presidence over a good show, when in fact, we dont watch Anime for "Conveniently place confrontations between opposite genders in a shower" I'm sure we all want a good, well rounded anime.

The sooner these guys notice this, the quicker we can go back to watching what we love.

P.S - Spring 2011


ED: @papagolfwhiskey

Sorry, I was only just notified of your Quote.

*inhale*

I dont like Madoka, I watched it, it bored me. I've seen it before. The whole Magical Masou Shoujo thing. A little sadness here and there, and of course, The death of the cute blonde one. I dont like it, So instead of having a go at me for disliking something you quite rightly enjoy, Just accept it and learn to bend to opinions.

I can understand why you like it, Though.

*exhale*
32346 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 2/21/11
There is still good anime out there it's just harder to find because we get bombarded with a lot of what is popular in Japan. There are still studios like Gainax and Bones making good stuff and Gonzo is still out there doing what they do. The unfortunate thing about anime is how Shonen dominated it became since the 80's and that's not really changed much. Though there are other trends that seem to take over like herem anime and Moe.

There's still plenty of Seinen anime out there though a lot of it never gets licenced outside of Japan because companies would rarther pick up series they know will be popular so we get lots of dirty minded little girls and muscle men pumping up and hitting each other.
1190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Seoul
Offline
Posted 2/21/11 , edited 2/21/11

MullerCherry wrote:


iirc, I thought Madoka had the highest in terms of sales for this season, specifically after episode 3 (i.e the infamous nom nom episode)

Unfortunately, I found Stratos to be distasteful for me for quite a number of reasons (arguably the only aspect of it which I didn't hate was the art designs, but that's about it...), but since it's a matter of opinions and personal preferences, I won't be going any further with it. Besides, we've still got 10 more months, so it's a bit too early in calling for the best of the year. But then, there's a title that's definitely going to be one of worst of the year though: Onii-chan no Koto. That series is goddamn awful.

I have some rants about Madhouse, but I think SHAFT's been doing quite fine so far; it might be because their shows are more of an acquired taste, but yeah.

My thoughts on Spring '11? I saw the second season of Kampfer, and my reaction was: What the fuck. Then I saw The Money of Soul and Possibility Control: it's terrible English, but at least it's by Kenji Nakamura (creator of Eden of the East, Ghost In Shell), so thankfully, I have something to look forward to.
88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Online
Posted 2/21/11 , edited 2/21/11

HirakuNoShadow wrote:

I agree that the last few years, including this one's been rather lackluster in overall; at most, you'll find about 1 or 2 really good titles per season if you're lucky, mostly from noitaminA or SHAFT. I've also noticed that Madhouse's been rather disappointing lately in terms of the quality of their recent productions (e.g the Marvel Hero adaptations, Highschool of the Dead, etc).


It's pretty much always been only 1 or 2 really good animes per season though, except in the Fall seasons, and about every 3rd Spring season. I'd say that the current rate is quite is average overall, but I will agree that the past 2 Fall seasons have been weaker.

Also, SHAFT producing good anime? Pretty much everything Shinbo does is average at best, unless the source material is so good that even he can't ruin it.
23326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Takamagahara
Offline
Posted 2/21/11 , edited 2/21/11



When I said best of the year, I meant so far (Feb). Sorry I did not make that clear enough, My mistake.

Madoka has the highest sales figure of this exclusive season, whilst it still narrowly loses to One Piece and a few other unmentionables (In various seasons and decades), But you undoubtedly know, Amazing sales figures dont make amazing Anime (Naruto ect.)

On the topic of when "Mami" (sp) Was Nommed, why did she not just duck?..Like. Honestly?

I wont delve into opinions anymore, you have yours, I have mine, I dont see how any discussion would further this thread.

Nakamura makes some quality Anime, So I'll look forward to anything under his name, whilst its good to have a plethora of new developers, I still think old classics hold a lot of merit to this day.

Agreed on Onii-Chan no Koto. Watched it and almost fell asleep, the amount of shitty, forced "cliche-ness" .

-

It's good to see a poster such as yourself, You seem to be a nice, unopinionated guy.
1190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Seoul
Offline
Posted 2/21/11 , edited 2/21/11

llamaben wrote:
Also, SHAFT producing good anime? Pretty much everything Shinbo does is average at best, unless the source material is so good that even he can't ruin it.

Like I said, Shinbo's style is pretty much something that you either love or hate; I just happen to be on the 'love it' side :/ For me, he's been consistently producing series that have been ranging from decent to excellent, perhaps with the exception of Dance in the Vampire Bund, which was pretty forgettable, if not downright mediocre. Upon memory, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru's original source material wasn't excellent; it's definitely not his best work, but I think Shinbo did a pretty decent job at adapting it into an anime. I had quite a laugh out of the characters' interactions, as well as some surprisingly memorable episodes (i.e - episode 3 & 12). Tiredness is killing me atm, so I'll stop there.

Edit: 'Down Town', the OP of SoreMachi was glorious. Just sayin'.
88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Online
Posted 2/21/11 , edited 2/21/11

HirakuNoShadow wrote:
Upon memory, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru's original source material wasn't excellent; it's definitely not his best work, but I think Shinbo did a pretty decent job at adapting it into an anime. I had quite a laugh out of the characters' interactions, as well as some surprisingly memorable episodes (i.e - episode 3 & 12). Tiredness is killing me atm, so I'll stop there.

Edit: 'Down Town', the OP of SoreMachi was glorious. Just sayin'.

I read somewhere that Naoyuki Tatsuma was actually doing most of the directing on SoreMachi, with Shinbo just overseeing the production and stepping in where he felt he needed to (ultimately having control over the project). It makes sense, as Shinbo would have been quite busy with Arakawa and I did notice some good qualities in SoreMachi that other Shinbo animes have lacked...

Apparently the same thing happened for Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Maria Holic too. I guess it's no surprise which SZS series is my favourite, even before I knew about this.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.