First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Dattebayo Has Been Seized
Posted 2/28/11 , edited 2/28/11

Mikiocn wrote:


varnlestoff wrote:


Mikiocn wrote:


varnlestoff wrote:


Mikiocn wrote:

Seems like troll bait. I mean, they stopped subbing certain anime because of the legality of it, I recall.

I'm not entirely sure though, but given their history of these kind of pranks, it wouldn't completely surprise me.


Haven't you heard of the illegal seizures of about 70 + bittorrent related websites? It happened a little over a month ago, and websites like torrentfinder had this exact page displayed.

Here is one of that articles http://www.prisonplanet.com/us-government-seizure-of-the-internet-has-begun-dhs-takes-over-76-websites.html

It is not a joke, and it's actually HIGHLY ILLEGAL to put that up as fraud. It makes the legalities of being a fansubber looks like a joke in comparison. The sad thing is they seized these sites by bypassing the 4th and 14th amendments, thus it was an unconstitutional seizure of websites which is something I have been upset over for a while.

The US government is starting to regulate the internet in an attempt to censor information similar to china and many middle eastern dictatorships. This is not good for anybody who enjoys their civil liberties.


Illegal seizures? No, honestly I haven't. I read news articles all the time regarding technology/internet news, but haven't came across anything like that. Although, I never heard of that source you gave so, maybe that's why.

I thought the issue was the websites were promoting illegal downloading and breaking copy right content, etc? So the US government wants to put a stop to it and are taking action by closing the sites illegally? Hm, interesting. I don't think it really is the same as China though, I mean, we are comparing a country that censors everything vs preventing copyright violation. I think you're getting ahead of yourself there. ^_~



I understand perfectly well we are not similar to china as far as censorship goes. However something that can't be disputed is that we have been taking small steps in that direction, especially after the Wikileaks incident. Alongside the patriot act which acts as a constitutional side step, an internet kill switch has been passed into law, along side many other recent bills being proposed to give government more power over information. Even the FCC is trying to find a way to get into the internet business of regulating content.

One of the common misconceptions is what the overall intent is for these steps. Many excuse them because they are catered towards baser fears like terrorism, or security and copyright laws. Well a hard look at history always shows that the government never uses laws exactly for their proposed purposes, especially ones that grant them the power to regulate information. You give them power through your own fear of something, and they can use it to help you, and also to suppress you.

Also, torrentfinder, which was the example given in the article I posted. They didn't have any copyright material. They merely provided links to the downloads of different torrent software which could be used to run p2p downloads, which is not illegal. The reason it was seized, along with the collateral of 50,000 members on the website, was because one or two people posted links on the forum to an illegal download. So what If I provided a 'link' to a website hosting an illegal download in the CR forum games, and all of a sudden crunchyroll was gone forever?

The united states is far from vulnerable from the same issues other nations face, and unfortunately history has already proven that with many examples from steps in the past our own government has taken, and the governments of other nations that had operated almost identically to the united states.


Actually, that can be disputed. Speculating theories doesn't equal facts, and I mean no disrespect towards you when I say that. Anyway, I have no interest in getting into a political debate, which I feel this conversation is heading in that direction. Take care. ^_^


My assertion as a whole can be refuted however the small point I made is strongly supported by many official documented that are able to be cited. Those can not be refuted as they just are. However, believing whether or not the patterns shown represent anything as 'good or bad', is indeed subjective and can be refuted.

Also, that's too bad, I love meaningful debate, at least on the level that deals with civil issues.
30074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / California
Offline
Posted 2/28/11

varnlestoff wrote:


Mikiocn wrote:


varnlestoff wrote:


Mikiocn wrote:


varnlestoff wrote:


Mikiocn wrote:

Seems like troll bait. I mean, they stopped subbing certain anime because of the legality of it, I recall.

I'm not entirely sure though, but given their history of these kind of pranks, it wouldn't completely surprise me.


Haven't you heard of the illegal seizures of about 70 + bittorrent related websites? It happened a little over a month ago, and websites like torrentfinder had this exact page displayed.

Here is one of that articles http://www.prisonplanet.com/us-government-seizure-of-the-internet-has-begun-dhs-takes-over-76-websites.html

It is not a joke, and it's actually HIGHLY ILLEGAL to put that up as fraud. It makes the legalities of being a fansubber looks like a joke in comparison. The sad thing is they seized these sites by bypassing the 4th and 14th amendments, thus it was an unconstitutional seizure of websites which is something I have been upset over for a while.

The US government is starting to regulate the internet in an attempt to censor information similar to china and many middle eastern dictatorships. This is not good for anybody who enjoys their civil liberties.


Illegal seizures? No, honestly I haven't. I read news articles all the time regarding technology/internet news, but haven't came across anything like that. Although, I never heard of that source you gave so, maybe that's why.

I thought the issue was the websites were promoting illegal downloading and breaking copy right content, etc? So the US government wants to put a stop to it and are taking action by closing the sites illegally? Hm, interesting. I don't think it really is the same as China though, I mean, we are comparing a country that censors everything vs preventing copyright violation. I think you're getting ahead of yourself there. ^_~



I understand perfectly well we are not similar to china as far as censorship goes. However something that can't be disputed is that we have been taking small steps in that direction, especially after the Wikileaks incident. Alongside the patriot act which acts as a constitutional side step, an internet kill switch has been passed into law, along side many other recent bills being proposed to give government more power over information. Even the FCC is trying to find a way to get into the internet business of regulating content.

One of the common misconceptions is what the overall intent is for these steps. Many excuse them because they are catered towards baser fears like terrorism, or security and copyright laws. Well a hard look at history always shows that the government never uses laws exactly for their proposed purposes, especially ones that grant them the power to regulate information. You give them power through your own fear of something, and they can use it to help you, and also to suppress you.

Also, torrentfinder, which was the example given in the article I posted. They didn't have any copyright material. They merely provided links to the downloads of different torrent software which could be used to run p2p downloads, which is not illegal. The reason it was seized, along with the collateral of 50,000 members on the website, was because one or two people posted links on the forum to an illegal download. So what If I provided a 'link' to a website hosting an illegal download in the CR forum games, and all of a sudden crunchyroll was gone forever?

The united states is far from vulnerable from the same issues other nations face, and unfortunately history has already proven that with many examples from steps in the past our own government has taken, and the governments of other nations that had operated almost identically to the united states.


Actually, that can be disputed. Speculating theories doesn't equal facts, and I mean no disrespect towards you when I say that. Anyway, I have no interest in getting into a political debate, which I feel this conversation is heading in that direction. Take care. ^_^


My assertion as a whole can be refuted however the small point I made is strongly supported by many official sources and reliable documented facts, rather than theories.

Also, that's too bad, I love meaningful debate, at least on the level that deals with civil issues.


Well, I'm glad you've admitted you're wrong. I guess that means Miki: 1, and you: 0 so far? Muahaha X3

Only joking. ^_~
Posted 2/28/11

Mikiocn wrote:


varnlestoff wrote:


Mikiocn wrote:


varnlestoff wrote:


Mikiocn wrote:


varnlestoff wrote:


Mikiocn wrote:

Seems like troll bait. I mean, they stopped subbing certain anime because of the legality of it, I recall.

I'm not entirely sure though, but given their history of these kind of pranks, it wouldn't completely surprise me.


Haven't you heard of the illegal seizures of about 70 + bittorrent related websites? It happened a little over a month ago, and websites like torrentfinder had this exact page displayed.

Here is one of that articles http://www.prisonplanet.com/us-government-seizure-of-the-internet-has-begun-dhs-takes-over-76-websites.html

It is not a joke, and it's actually HIGHLY ILLEGAL to put that up as fraud. It makes the legalities of being a fansubber looks like a joke in comparison. The sad thing is they seized these sites by bypassing the 4th and 14th amendments, thus it was an unconstitutional seizure of websites which is something I have been upset over for a while.

The US government is starting to regulate the internet in an attempt to censor information similar to china and many middle eastern dictatorships. This is not good for anybody who enjoys their civil liberties.


Illegal seizures? No, honestly I haven't. I read news articles all the time regarding technology/internet news, but haven't came across anything like that. Although, I never heard of that source you gave so, maybe that's why.

I thought the issue was the websites were promoting illegal downloading and breaking copy right content, etc? So the US government wants to put a stop to it and are taking action by closing the sites illegally? Hm, interesting. I don't think it really is the same as China though, I mean, we are comparing a country that censors everything vs preventing copyright violation. I think you're getting ahead of yourself there. ^_~



I understand perfectly well we are not similar to china as far as censorship goes. However something that can't be disputed is that we have been taking small steps in that direction, especially after the Wikileaks incident. Alongside the patriot act which acts as a constitutional side step, an internet kill switch has been passed into law, along side many other recent bills being proposed to give government more power over information. Even the FCC is trying to find a way to get into the internet business of regulating content.

One of the common misconceptions is what the overall intent is for these steps. Many excuse them because they are catered towards baser fears like terrorism, or security and copyright laws. Well a hard look at history always shows that the government never uses laws exactly for their proposed purposes, especially ones that grant them the power to regulate information. You give them power through your own fear of something, and they can use it to help you, and also to suppress you.

Also, torrentfinder, which was the example given in the article I posted. They didn't have any copyright material. They merely provided links to the downloads of different torrent software which could be used to run p2p downloads, which is not illegal. The reason it was seized, along with the collateral of 50,000 members on the website, was because one or two people posted links on the forum to an illegal download. So what If I provided a 'link' to a website hosting an illegal download in the CR forum games, and all of a sudden crunchyroll was gone forever?

The united states is far from vulnerable from the same issues other nations face, and unfortunately history has already proven that with many examples from steps in the past our own government has taken, and the governments of other nations that had operated almost identically to the united states.


Actually, that can be disputed. Speculating theories doesn't equal facts, and I mean no disrespect towards you when I say that. Anyway, I have no interest in getting into a political debate, which I feel this conversation is heading in that direction. Take care. ^_^


My assertion as a whole can be refuted however the small point I made is strongly supported by many official sources and reliable documented facts, rather than theories.

Also, that's too bad, I love meaningful debate, at least on the level that deals with civil issues.


Well, I'm glad you've admitted you're wrong. I guess that means Miki: 1, and you: 0 so far? Muahaha X3

Only joking. ^_~


In my earlier posts, when I said It could not be refuted, I should have probably implied 'direction' as a refutable calculation based on recorded and factual proof,rather than saying the direction we were taking was an undeniable negative. One aspect refutable, another not.

My mistake, yes you win this extremely short debate haha

Posted 2/28/11 , edited 2/28/11

tycho0042 wrote:

this wouldn't be the first time DB has trolled something like this. april fool's day a couple years ago they had an FBI label on their webpage saying the page has been deleted and your IP was being tracked.


Db guys are sick, there just sick, and funny LOL.




30074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / California
Offline
Posted 2/28/11
It's too late, there's no take backs ya baka! >_< I win this and that's the end of this debate!! ^_____________________________^

o_O XD
1194 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / i'm outta this wo...
Offline
Posted 3/1/11
i'm hoping that ain't real. dattebayo is one of the most awesome subbing groups. ever. I'm certainly hoping it's a troll...
33472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/1/11
I know it's not a troll. I've known of that Prison Planet site for around 3-4 years now. A little too "sky is falling" for my tastes, but they're not a joke website like The Onion or anything. DB is gone.
75652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 3/1/11

dev3383 wrote:

a quick look at the DNS for it spells it out simply. The site was NOT (or) is currently NOT seized, given that the OP was 21 hours ago its highly unlikly it was Seized and then handed back over.

The site is down at this time connection refused. Thats server side thou, not DNS side. i would have to say you got trolled just before a planned outage. My guess is they are either doing server maint or moving to a new provider

But as of right now they resolve correctly to 216.18.227.254 which ARIN has listed as a HOST out of Seattle Washington.

If this was a Seized domain it would point to the FBIs server.
Actually, it was Immigration and Customs Enforcement that did the seizures. Given who they are and what they do, it could have been equipment seized or taken offline ~ they would only need to redirect the DNS until the process of taking the host offline was complete.
59016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M
Offline
Posted 3/1/11
All I know it's that if they truly are gone, then im the most happy about it because they were the biggest babies on subbing, yes they were some what good about it but they cry so much about it, I have seen them for years but I really hate it the way they handle their followers
62169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Vancouver, BC, Ca...
Offline
Posted 3/1/11
It's on the internet therefore it MUST be true!
70955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 3/1/11
db is always doing trolls. As long as they are not profiting from their subs, and they are not claiming them for as their own works. The most that can happens is they receive a cease and desist letter, and a slap on the hand. So at best I think its another one of their Trolls, which every year they try something crazier and crazier.

I liked db because when I didn't have access to Naruto and Bleach they were the best to go to. Sure it doesn't support the creators, but it was my only link to those anime which were not available.
67408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / 5280 feet above s...
Offline
Posted 3/1/11
If Dattebayo is down, they're down. It isn't as if they were the only game in town for obtaining fansubs. I personally think this is a troll on their part, simply because that's what Dattebayo does. If they aren't subbing a series, they're putting out trolls to see exactly how many people they can get to react to the joke. From what I can tell, they usually manage to pull at least a few tons of fish that took the bait with their trolls.

Now, if they're really gone, it would be because the individual members of the group found better things to do. They were down to fansubbing two series, a little half-heartedly from what I can tell. I haven't seen any evidence over the last few months that the group is active. I might be wrong, but if a fansub group has zero activity for a while, it means that they are either 'on hiatus, have thrown in the towel completely, or lastly, might have actually been taken down with a cease and desist. Right now, the web is full of conflicting reports as to the reason behind the site's disappearance. For those worried about it, I'd just sit down, watch CR for a while and wait to see if they resurface. It isn't like their site hasn't been down many, many times before.
75652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 3/1/11

aelis_moemoe wrote: db is always doing trolls. As long as they are not profiting from their subs, and they are not claiming them for as their own works. The most that can happens is they receive a cease and desist letter, and a slap on the hand. ...
Whether they are likely to get more serious penalties is up in the air, but since Dattebayo LLC is a company formed to advertise professional translating services and the bootleg fansubs therefore serve a commercial purpose, they obviously can be up for much more than a C&D and a lawsuit asking for $100 in damages.

Thing is, they went down at the same time that over 100 torrent tracker sites went down (and one torrent tracker site search engine ~ so of course the people rationalizing why its ok for them to download bootlegs and trample on the rights of the creators focused on the one torrent tracker site search engine and ignored the over 100 bootleg torrent trackers) ... so if they were not taken down, they went offline as a way to hide out until the dust settles.
66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 3/1/11

agila61 wrote:


aelis_moemoe wrote: db is always doing trolls. As long as they are not profiting from their subs, and they are not claiming them for as their own works. The most that can happens is they receive a cease and desist letter, and a slap on the hand. ...
Whether they are likely to get more serious penalties is up in the air, but since Dattebayo LLC is a company formed to advertise professional translating services and the bootleg fansubs therefore serve a commercial purpose, they obviously can be up for much more than a C&D and a lawsuit asking for $100 in damages.

Thing is, they went down at the same time that over 100 torrent tracker sites went down (and one torrent tracker site search engine ~ so of course the people rationalizing why its ok for them to download bootlegs and trample on the rights of the creators focused on the one torrent tracker site search engine and ignored the over 100 bootleg torrent trackers) ... so if they were not taken down, they went offline as a way to hide out until the dust settles.


i know there is not just cause for downloading bootlegs whatever the reason is but the only i use is the old well "funimation or license company drops a series and it's still on going in japan or it was censored/cut past the point of being ridiculous "sailor moon and card captor sakura come to mind over 30 epiosdes cut from each." it's happened with case closed, shin-chan, higurashi, familiar of zero "i know the last two are license rescues but come on it's been over 2-3 years since they where last aired in japan" That's a little crazy and being the way I am i like conclusion/closure in my series not to be left on an cliff hanger. Dattebayo though only subbed naruto, bleach and one piece as far as I know and what ever the reason is there is legal alternatives to that. What ever the reasons are for them to shut down the sites they have a legal and legit reason to do so I just thought I would give my last 2 cents in.
Posted 3/1/11
Wouldn't be surprised. They probably had their eyes on them for a while, given that DB used to show high download numbers and even called themselves professionals. So, yep, if one of the fansub sites were to be seized that one just had to be DB.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.