First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Prayer for Japan... can prayer be a BAD thing?
128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 3/15/11
Prayer is something you do when you can't do something yourself... =/
Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 3/15/11

idenoh wrote:


AHTL wrote:


Hands that help are better than lips that pray
- Robert G. Ingersoll (1833-1899)


^ That's my stance on prayers.

With that said, I'm disgusted with how some people have reacted to the earthquake.





^ Karma my ass, and who bloody cares about whales in such circumstances.


maybe its my american ignorance, but what is the context on that second picture?, i cant read the pictures inside it...something about whales I guess?


Just open the images in new tabs.
39444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / next to the giant...
Offline
Posted 3/15/11
holy shit, massive amount of respect lost for the general populace of Australia/europe if that's a common way of thinking over there...that's just sick.
214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 3/15/11




Atheist don't believe in god but they'll happily accept any flake attention-whoring on youtube is a Christian when it accommodates their beliefs...

For those still foolish enough to believe she's not trolling
http://www.thinkatheist.com/video/tamtampamela-is-a-troll

Can it be made any more clear?



4363 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Rainbow Factory
Offline
Posted 3/15/11

Pontiaku wrote:





Atheist don't believe in god but they'll happily accept any flake attention-whoring on youtube is a Christian when it accommodates their beliefs...

For those still foolish enough to believe she's not trolling
http://www.thinkatheist.com/video/tamtampamela-is-a-troll

Can it be made any more clear?





Wow. So she is an atheist just being an idiot. Now the few inconsistencies make sense.
17146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Evergreen, Colora...
Offline
Posted 3/15/11

Pontiaku wrote:

Atheist don't believe in god but they'll happily accept any flake attention-whoring on youtube is a Christian when it accommodates their beliefs...

For those still foolish enough to believe she's not trolling
http://www.thinkatheist.com/video/tamtampamela-is-a-troll

Can it be made any more clear?


Look, it's great that you've pointed this out, I'll add that she is for certain a troll... but there are people like her who exist in the real world. They do think and act like her. So for the point of discussion, I don't really care if this one person isn't real, because I want to know how people feel about those people just like her who are real. Still, it's good to know for certain and I'll be sure to let my friends on Facebook know, since apparently a lot of people were feeling like giving up on humanity because of her. By the way, the girl who posted it for me to watch is a Buddhist, and some of her friends who commented were also Christians. So it's not just Atheists who believed this girl was for real.
128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 3/15/11
I'm a Christian and I know, of course, prayer can never be as good as taking positive action towards a cause. It does bring immense comfort to many,however, including myself.

And using the example of the disaster in Japan, I don't pray that god will have mercy or that he will save x- amount of people,because for whatever reason, this was meant to happen I take comfort in knowing that those who didn't survive were meant to leave this earth, and they are now residing with God. Instead, I pray that God will give those who have lost homes and loved ones strength to keep going, and give them happiness.

Ehh... you don't have to prove me wrong, I know I may not be right! It's just my opinion and I respect the opinion of others as well ^_^
606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Washington, DC
Offline
Posted 3/15/11 , edited 3/15/11
Pray like everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you.

I sympathize with the Japanese people over this tragedy. Unfortunately relief efforts seem very slow. The damaged nuclear reactors really worry me. My advise is to don't give up. Aid is coming. Pray to God and work to solve the problems.

I'm confident that Japan and the Japanese people will survivie this calamity.
17146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Evergreen, Colora...
Offline
Posted 3/15/11 , edited 3/15/11

BloodyxxRose wrote:


I respect your opinion, I assure you. I think it sounds like, while I disagree with praying at all, that at least you aren't praying for something awful to happen. *shrug* I used to pray for things like God having mercy or saving as many people as possible. I've never really had any comfort with death for some reason. I also used to be often worried that those who died might have gone to hell, and that always left me with an unsettled feeling. Now I just don't like the idea of ceasing to exist. Still, if intention-manifestation does exist, better to pray or meditate or think about positive things, than to wish ill on others.



Theik2 wrote:


Interesting quote at the top of your post. There are reasons for the relief effort being slow...
http://goodintents.org/disaster/why-waiting-to-give-to-japan-is-a-good-idea I too am worried about the nuclear reactor, and the people who live near it. I'm also very saddened by the rising death toll. Even though they are prepared, it still sucks a lot.
4162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Earth Currently
Offline
Posted 3/15/11
1. What do you think of people who think like the girl in this video?
i think the girl in the video has got the wrong idea about praying shes saying shes soooo glad God put an earthquake upon Japan she says its opening their eyes to him that now they c if they dont beleive in God they are going to hell i can most likely say 100% of the people in Japan arnt thinking along those lines AT ALL they are proably mad at whoever they worship not glad by any means i dont think God would just kill all those ppl without giving them a chance to see him if that makes since he put christians on the planet to spread his word so people would atleast get a chance to worship him *sigh* everything happens for a reason but i dont beleive that God put an earthquake upon Japan as an answer to that girls prayers or for punishment for thier religion by any means

2. Do you think that prayer alone is helpful and/or 'enough'?
i think prayer alone is helpful but there is times where u have to take action it wont just all of a sudden happen

3. Does prayer relieve people of any obligations, or sense of obligation, to do something physical? (Like volunteer or donate money). to me personally it dosent but for other people all the time absoulutly

4. What about people who use prayer 'for the wrong reasons' ? Are there any wrong reasons to pray?
yes i beleive there are a lot of wrong things to pray about like to bring harm to someone etc. i dont think God answers those but then again i have know idea


5. Do you pray? Do you believe in "the power of prayer"?
yes i pray everynight i do beleive in the power of prayer there are somethings that people cant physical do anything to help and its all up to fate i prayed for my 4th grade teacher bc she had cancer and after a month or two she went into remission i beleive my praying helpped it might just be a coinquecendence or however the heck u spell it there was a woman who went to church with half her body paralized from a stroke she had had however many days before she went to pray on the altar for her husband not herself everyone gathered around her and started to pray for her even tho that was not the reason she came to the altar she left that church as good as new her body no longer paralized bc everyone was praying and the spirit of God helpped her bc of the prayer

these are all just my opinons i am not trying to affend anyone sorry if i did

15476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / United Kingdom of...
Offline
Posted 3/15/11

Pontiaku wrote:


Atheist don't believe in god but they'll happily accept any flake attention-whoring on youtube is a Christian when it accommodates their beliefs...

For those still foolish enough to believe she's not trolling
http://www.thinkatheist.com/video/tamtampamela-is-a-troll

Can it be made any more clear?





....

What a TOTAL FUCKING BITCH.



Posted 3/30/11 , edited 4/9/11
1. What do you think of people who think like the girl in this blog?

Trolls using religious matters as a cover-up for their immature actions. How original! ....Sarcasm.

2. Do you think that prayer alone is helpful and/or 'enough'?

Prayer is useless on its own. People use it as a way to free themselves of guilt and conscience, as if it was all they could do. That is pitiful and disgusting, people can do more then just pray.

3. Does prayer relieve people of any obligations, or sense of obligation, to do something physical? (Like volunteer or donate money).

It does for a lot of people. It is a substitute for them to help or even encourage others to physically interact and help one another. Prayer has always been a trivial and waste of time to me because while I'm on my ass or knees praying I could be doing something actually helpful. It isn't a bad thing to keep these events in your heart or mind, but only briefly praying for other's safety and just brushing it off, it's just... Irreponsible.

4. What about people who use prayer 'for the wrong reasons' ? Are there any wrong reasons to pray?

Prayer can always been used for the wrong reason. It just takes willpower and resolve to turn that hate away from something suppose to be good. Prayer is like making a wish, it isn't dissimilar. But wishing won't save anyone in Japan.

5. Do you pray? Do you believe in "the power of prayer"?

No I don't. I believe praying isn't a bad thing long as you don't make it a bad thing, but I can't consider it productive.

This isn't something you can leave to God, or Allah, or whoever the fuck is up there in 'Heaven'. God doesn't change the world or save lives, other people do! I refuse to believe just prayer will change anything. If you want to help buy their merchandise, put money into their wallets, donate money! Do something that is physically beneficial to them. Give them the means to save themselves, praying and hoping everything will be okay is just like abandoning them.

You want to save something? Do it. You want to change something? Strive for it. Praying just to be free of guilt and obligation is despicable. All of Japan is suffering right now while you have your hands clapped together hoping for everything to be okay. How the hell will that change something, or anything?! 'God' will just answer those prayers with another earthquake that causes another tsunami. Possibly this time ending Japan. Because of your own ineptness you are willing to throw an entire race away just to be free of guilt and obligation?

If them the means to save themselves, Prayer is as helpful as nothing. Words and the ephemereal non-physical won't save them, hands and money will.

This post wasn't directed at anyone, the "you's" simply being used as a means to state my opinion. In the end my opinions remain the same: Religion and its sheer ability to disregard the lives of other people is just astonishing.

This post was brought to you by General Discussions no. 1 Agnostic-Misotheist, now with 30% more miso! (Nice thread you have here, Nora. Hope you don't mind the necro'ing.)
57774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / canada
Offline
Posted 4/9/11

MelodieLenora wrote:

1. What do you think of people who think like the girl in this video?

http://blog.bollzy.com/post/3853208492/god-is-so-good-via-tamtampamela <<New link, her video was taken down on youtube.
Though it's been confirmed she's a troll, there are people like her persona who exist out int he real world. So for the sake of discussion... comment on this type of thought, motivation, behavior in regards to religion, prayer, and intentions.

Synopsis, thanks to Sunnyxx , in case you can't watch it:


2. Do you think that prayer alone is helpful and/or 'enough'?

3. Does prayer relieve people of any obligations, or sense of obligation, to do something physical? (Like volunteer or donate money).

4. What about people who use prayer 'for the wrong reasons' ? Are there any wrong reasons to pray?

5. Do you pray? Do you believe in "the power of prayer"?

Answer any of these you want, or talk about something else related to the topic.
-- This question is mainly aimed at those who pray, regardless of religion or lack of, but those who do not pray should feel free to answer as well. I realize you don't have to believe in a deity or subscribe to a religion, in order to pray.


1) I didnt' watch the vid... I'm assuming it's the God is Good video, in which case, I think she might call herself a Christian, but she has no real idea what that means.

2) I find prayer to be very helpful.

3) NO... it doesn't. Faith without works is dead.

4) God is the one answering prayers... He has 4 answers... Yes, No, Not right now, and Do it MY way. an unrighteous prayer will get a NO answer. I do not believe for one second that God answered those prayers the way they think He did... I personally think the earthquake and resultant disasters are a perfect opportunity for all of the world to show that we still care... and we are willing to reach out to our global neighbours.

5) yes, I pray, and I believe it has tremendous power... even if the answer isn't yes... to comfort and provide peace to the one praying.
Posted 4/9/11
oh gosh. mega troller!
Posted 4/9/11

dorkyannu wrote:

oh gosh. mega troller!


Actually, I think kimmm6 was just stating their opinion.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.