First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Boycott FUNimation! FUNimation Censoring DVD releases now.
4295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Youtube!
Offline
Posted 3/16/11
What exactly did the even censor? O_o
55664 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / United States, Mc...
Offline
Posted 3/16/11

cerberus03 wrote:


MeanderCat wrote:


cerberus03 wrote:


Hacker3423 wrote:

The problem they face is that the anime is really Mature, I mean MATURE if you read the manga then you'll know what im talking about and it being directed to 18 year old + for both manga and anime. Some scenes in the anime promote naked lolicon girls which would be break some rule that was made by the FCC, now if it imported thats different but if a big company like Funimation was selling stuff like that then Funimation gets in BIG trouble and soon ALL anime we know would be censored up to the ears like shitty 4kids.

Funimation has to maintain its reputation for what they sell currently and is already pushing the limits on what they can or cannot release in the US because of the FCC.

Either way, reason being is that there is a Higher Law in place keeping Funimation from releasing/attaining some series.


i was never a big fan of funimation dubs but wouldnt they be allowed to release uncensored dvds with an appropriiate age rating?. thats what the fcc is there for isnt it?. they review the series and then tell the publishers what rating it requires for a release. atleast thats what i know of.


And when was the last time anyone really paid attention to an age rating?

While the material in "Dance" doesn't quite venture in X-rated territory, it does venture close to 'unintentional child pornography' if Mrs Grundy (Heinlein reference) chooses to think so. When your lead female character is a 300 year+ vampire who happens to look not a day over 11 or 12, having her run around nearly naked on screen just ain't gonna fly in the States.

And yes, I follow the manga, and have seen the series on Hulu - the manga in general is much better.


oh i see, so its more like a case of underage exposure?


Exactly. Though in Japan its was close to that but never really was by covering obvious parts while the rest was shown
55664 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / United States, Mc...
Offline
Posted 3/16/11

Sunnyxx wrote:

What exactly did the even censor? O_o


Obvious parts of the body while leaving the rest alone. Though they were Really pushing it for some scenes where you think its uncensored but it actually is ...best example its to watch the OP for the anime and you'll understand. it involves clevlege and nipples...a part of me just died inside typing that out.
81200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116
Offline
Posted 3/16/11 , edited 3/16/11
Actually the FCC has nothing to do with video releases, only over-the-air broadcast TV. And the MPAA is responsible for rating movies shown in most theatres.

But for video, publishers choose their own ratings and make their own decisions which is why there are differences between different anime publishers (Funimation and Viz: most conservative ratings, Sentai/S23/adv: somewhere in the middle, Media Blaster: liberal) For example, even outside of anime, there are more explicit or uncut "Unrated" versions of movies regularly released on DVD or Bluray. In fact all anime is labeled as "Unrated" on Amazon.com

Regarding the Vampire Bund, we'll just have to wait and see. Personally I doubt they will end up censoring it with all the commotion but who knows... However, they didn't censor Strike Witches DVD, despite censoring the streams, or any other yet on DVD like Mnemosyne, and Bund is very tame by comparison

I'd definitely be pissed off as well if they do end up editing Bund for video release

(edited)
55664 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / United States, Mc...
Offline
Posted 3/16/11

npcomplete wrote:

Actually the FCC has nothing to do with video releases, only over-the-air broadcast TV. And the MPAA is responsible for rating movies shown in most theatres.

But for video, publishers choose their own ratings and make their own decisions which is why there are differences between different anime publishers (Funimation and Viz: most conservative ratings, Sentai/S23/adv: somewhere in the middle, Media Blaster: liberal) For example, even outside of anime, there are more explicit or uncut "Unrated" versions of movies released on DVD or Bluray for example. In fact all anime is labeled as "Unrated" on Amazon.com

Regarding the Vampire Bund, we'll just have to wait and see. Personally I doubt they will end up censoring it with all the commotion but who knows... However, they didn't censor Strike Witches or any other yet on DVD, despite censoring the streams, and Bund is very tame.


Ahh I Thought there was some higher law in place because I didnt want to start reading stuff like " Article 3, Section 4, paragraph 2" ect.ect.
55664 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / United States, Mc...
Offline
Posted 3/16/11 , edited 3/16/11
but the reason its currently censored right now is would definatly be the partial underage exposure and the dialogue involved around that as to say. Now since this is a year old Funimation my start pumping out uncesored versions later in the year. But promotions would be that of "Keeping it under the Table" type of things.
23713 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 3/16/11 , edited 3/16/11
So basically, it's:

"won't somebody think of the imaginary children?"

It's not "underage exposure" because the characters are fictional, not real. They don't exist in the real world. In fact I'd be surprised if a minor came within 500 feet of any stage of the series' production.

It's a case of mistaking the base. Do they really think the people who are going to buy the DVDs are going to want to see the content censored? The folks who get up in arms over nudity in anime definitely aren't buying these DVDs, so why do they have so much influence?

edit: also, shouldn't this be in the anime section?
9324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Tardis
Offline
Posted 3/16/11
Tell that to the guy who just got jail time for having what other people thought to be child pornography. He imported manga, and got arrested for it. Funi might be worried about that exact thing.....not only could they face criminal charges but so could their customers. Censoring it is a compromise in order to release it safely. Deal with it.......the censoring of it wont change the story at all.......they'd just change the scenes where it be child porn into something less risky.
17146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Evergreen, Colora...
Offline
Posted 3/16/11 , edited 3/16/11
Censorship is not cool.

Neither is calling anime "child pornography." THEY AREN'T REAL.

I read an article that suggested that, hmm *tries to remember*, that Japan's rate of child sex offenders and is lower because of loli and similar borderline or up-to-the imagination mangas and animes. It's an interesting idea if it is indeed true... Offenders who want to control their urges turn to what they can, and if they can let it out by reading manga or watching anime, that's much better than by going to a playground or searching up kiddie porn that involves real life children being hurt. I'd rather someone own loli anime collections filling up their house than to own a single suggestive picture of a child. But in any case, obviously I don't have the research to prove this is accurate so I'm not suggesting it is.


BartFargo wrote:

It's a case of mistaking the base. Do they really think the people who are going to buy the DVDs are going to want to see the content censored? The folks who get up in arms over nudity in anime definitely aren't buying these DVDs, so why do they have so much influence?

edit: also, shouldn't this be in the anime section?

Seriously, why do those who aren't ever going to be customers, either through themselves or their children, the ones having such influence?
39444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / next to the giant...
Offline
Posted 3/16/11

MelodieLenora wrote:

Censorship is not cool.

Neither is calling anime "child pornography." THEY AREN'T REAL.

I read an article that suggested that, hmm *tries to remember*, that Japan's rate of child sex offenders and is lower because of loli and similar borderline or up-to-the imagination mangas and animes. It's an interesting idea if it is indeed true... Offenders who want to control their urges turn to what they can, and if they can let it out by reading manga or watching anime, that's much better than by going to a playground or searching up kiddie porn that involves real life children being hurt. I'd rather someone own loli anime collections filling up their house than to own a single suggestive picture of a child. But in any case, obviously I don't have the research to prove this is accurate so I'm not suggesting it is.


BartFargo wrote:

It's a case of mistaking the base. Do they really think the people who are going to buy the DVDs are going to want to see the content censored? The folks who get up in arms over nudity in anime definitely aren't buying these DVDs, so why do they have so much influence?

edit: also, shouldn't this be in the anime section?

Seriously, why do those who aren't ever going to be customers, either through themselves or their children, the ones having such influence?


while I don't particularly agree with your entire views, I understand where you're coming from. People want things that they don't see as decent censored, Just look at videogames. Mass effect comes out and has a sex scene, one that has Absolutely ZERO nudity, in fact its less skin than you see on average TV shows these days (Looking at you MTV and E!). Yet everyone is up in arms, people are rallying to get this game banned because of this "offensive material" Yet, the people who are offended by it aren't buying the game, their children aren't being subjected to it because, while the sex scene should be enough, the game is already violent enough to warrant a mature rating and is not something a minor can buy (if a parent is bitching about anyone over 18 looking at porn, they need to get their head checked out.) so why do they care what I play?

While I might not agree with the content of some of the anime out there, I agree with YOUR right to watch, and be entertained by it.
91108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 3/16/11
since when did Funimation censor their releases? and are they even planing on releasing that show on dvd?
32064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 3/16/11

munchthis wrote:

since when did Funimation censor their releases? and are they even planing on releasing that show on dvd?
thats the point of this thread. because they are considering releasing it on DVD and Blu-ray censored o:

Posted 3/16/11
Obvious troll is obvious. The release of the first season of Strike Witches was uncensored, so I doubt they get to hacking up anything else.
91108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 3/16/11

EbonMagicianCurran wrote:


munchthis wrote:

since when did Funimation censor their releases? and are they even planing on releasing that show on dvd?
thats the point of this thread. because they are considering releasing it on DVD and Blu-ray censored o:



considering that a bunch of other shows had been by them released uncensored, strike witches as previously stated, there is serious doubt that they would censor this one show. I've only seen the first episode of it so I don't know much about it other than what other have said, somewhere along the lines of a young girl walking around naked or half-naked with a grown man rubbing oil or something on her.
66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 3/16/11 , edited 3/17/11

munchthis wrote:


EbonMagicianCurran wrote:


munchthis wrote:

since when did Funimation censor their releases? and are they even planing on releasing that show on dvd?
thats the point of this thread. because they are considering releasing it on DVD and Blu-ray censored o:



considering that a bunch of other shows had been by them released uncensored, strike witches as previously stated, there is serious doubt that they would censor this one show. I've only seen the first episode of it so I don't know much about it other than what other have said, somewhere along the lines of a young girl walking around naked or half-naked with a grown man rubbing oil or something on her.


out lash it what people are afraid of, pure and simple, hell i am playing summer days "a school days sequel" where motoko could end up with koroko-chan a 12 year old sister to one of the main females in the game, although i have no idea what's going to happen since it's all in Japanese after all but that aside it's fear of a back lash although the set DVD/bluray combo price is over 60 dollars so i don't see many kids getting hold of the dvd's here in the state's and even if so i know some contacts at my former high school since some of my friends are teachers now and kids will just download torrents for the uncensored versions if they want to watch some anime that badly >_>. I really could care less to be honest with you i liked the anime but cutting that out isn't going to do anything major to the overlaying plot in general, the only purpose he rubs the lotion on the skin is to protect her skin for the sun, that's it even with that known it's not really that much of important part of the series overall. Now don't get me wrong I think censorship is wrong but funimation has to think of their selves the out-lash that could come with it they are no rock-star games or some big media company, they are small and don't want to take the risk but again even with this said it cost over 60 bucks for the set for DVD/bluray so i don't see kids getting a hold of it that easily unless they stick to downloading methods and now i am talking in loops
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.