First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Subliminal Messages In Disney Movies
7430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / New York
Offline
Posted 4/4/11
to be honest, disney movies are really sick and disturbing. like that one movie "the brave little toaster", all the machines were depicted as people, and there was one scene where there were old cars lined up in the junkyard, waiting to be crushed to pieces.

in other words, it's like old people/people with disabilities waiting in a line to be brutally murdered.

and I liked that movie when I was younger...
1475 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / ~Crystal Tokyo~
Offline
Posted 4/11/11

-yukin wrote:

to be honest, disney movies are really sick and disturbing. like that one movie "the brave little toaster", all the machines were depicted as people, and there was one scene where there were old cars lined up in the junkyard, waiting to be crushed to pieces.

in other words, it's like old people/people with disabilities waiting in a line to be brutally murdered.

and I liked that movie when I was younger...


I didn't understand that movie when I was younger, but now that movie scares the crap out of me.
1458 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/11/11 , edited 4/11/11
They're not subliminal. Back then, Disney was extremely strict, they wouldn't let anything inappropriate out. So the guys that did the animation wanted to get back at the people who does the filtering, to see if they could catch anything that they put in there. Those "subliminal messages" that you see/hear are just the ones that just happen to get through. They weren't aiming to poison the minds of children lol. That's why you see all of these "brand new! limited edition silver edition dvd!", they're just trying to fix that.

I hope that people would see this. Disney isn't bad, it's just the poor actions from the filmmakers. :/
4761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/16/11 , edited 4/16/11
Wow, really? If you think like that, then you can probably find a million things that resemble a penis, or spell out "SEX" every day in your life.

There's a difference between subliminal messages and having a dirty mind. I had never noticed them until I watched the videos, and I highly doubt Disney is trying to brainwash kids by including a 5-second-or-less image of.... something that looks sketchy. Are children sexually active because they watch Disney?


I think advertisements are much worse when it comes to subliminal messaging.



And go analyze other children's films... you will find the same things. "Hey, that tree sort of looks like a vagina!"
4371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Rainbow Factory
Offline
Posted 4/17/11
While I'm all for the incrimination of honest companies if I can get a good laugh out of it, what we need to realize is that some of these folks that made these vids apparently don't have anything better to do than go frame for frame on old Disney movies trying to point out every little thing that may or may not resemble a penis or the word sex. In the lion king when the dust cloud forms the word sex it's only onscreen for about half a second. Without having it pointed out to you you'd never realize it was even there.
356 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / ダラス
Offline
Posted 4/18/11 , edited 4/18/11


As I have stated in other threads, Disney has drawn a lot of ire over the years for its use of its position as a "family-friendly" company to force-feed harmful messages to children, e.g. the views highlighted in the videos above (that it's OK for a man to imprison and dehumanize a woman and she just has to suck it up, that girls have to work to look a certain way or else they're not worth anything, etc.).
What really disgusts me about this whole ordeal is that they used this same tactic to sell out Hayao Miyazaki and thereby taint his works with their racism, sexism and homophobia.
The reason people might call these messages "subliminal" is because children don't recognize them until years down the line, and in the meantime they imitate the characters in the movies and perpetuate the viewpoints our society has been working for over a century to eradicate. And sadly, often times parents don't catch on either as they are drawn in by the "nostalgia trap," or they are too busy reminiscing about how they loved the same movies as children and don't stop to think what kind of harm they were done and they are doing by proxy to their own children.
4371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Rainbow Factory
Offline
Posted 4/18/11

HibiscusKazeneko wrote:



As I have stated in other threads, Disney has drawn a lot of ire over the years for its use of its position as a "family-friendly" company to force-feed harmful messages to children, e.g. the views highlighted in the videos above (that it's OK for a man to imprison and dehumanize a woman and she just has to suck it up, that girls have to work to look a certain way or else they're not worth anything, etc.).
What really disgusts me about this whole ordeal is that they used this same tactic to sell out Hayao Miyazaki and thereby taint his works with their racism, sexism and homophobia.
The reason people might call these messages "subliminal" is because children don't recognize them until years down the line, and in the meantime they imitate the characters in the movies and perpetuate the viewpoints our society has been working for over a century to eradicate. And sadly, often times parents don't catch on either as they are drawn in by the "nostalgia trap," or they are too busy reminiscing about how they loved the same movies as children and don't stop to think what kind of harm they were done and they are doing by proxy to their own children.


Wait, they did this to Miyazaki's films too? Odd, I never noticed anything wrong with the ones I've seen so far.
356 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / ダラス
Offline
Posted 4/18/11

ZenZaku wrote:


HibiscusKazeneko wrote:



As I have stated in other threads, Disney has drawn a lot of ire over the years for its use of its position as a "family-friendly" company to force-feed harmful messages to children, e.g. the views highlighted in the videos above (that it's OK for a man to imprison and dehumanize a woman and she just has to suck it up, that girls have to work to look a certain way or else they're not worth anything, etc.).
What really disgusts me about this whole ordeal is that they used this same tactic to sell out Hayao Miyazaki and thereby taint his works with their racism, sexism and homophobia.
The reason people might call these messages "subliminal" is because children don't recognize them until years down the line, and in the meantime they imitate the characters in the movies and perpetuate the viewpoints our society has been working for over a century to eradicate. And sadly, often times parents don't catch on either as they are drawn in by the "nostalgia trap," or they are too busy reminiscing about how they loved the same movies as children and don't stop to think what kind of harm they were done and they are doing by proxy to their own children.


Wait, they did this to Miyazaki's films too? Odd, I never noticed anything wrong with the ones I've seen so far.


Yes. They severely altered the scripts for most if not all the Miyazaki movies they've done. For example, in the original script for Kiki's Delivery Service, Kiki lost her ability to hear her cat Jiji talk, but in the 1997 dub, he loses his ability to talk on his own and regains it at the end. And more famously, Castle in the Sky had its entire ending rewritten, lots of background chatter and lines added in and several literary references removed. I must admit the newer dubs seem truer to the original than the older ones, but they still reek of stereotypical Disney shallowness.
27273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / smurf village
Offline
Posted 4/18/11
i have to admit that Disney has a dark side. i mean great examples of that dark side are "education for death" and and the donald duck short "der fuehrer's face". they were WW2 propaganda films. both films were banned at one time.

but American animation was never really meant for kids it just developed that way. i mean read the book Chuck Amuck by Chuck Jones animator for Warner Brothers. he said that they made the shorts for themselves if they laughed they believed that others would. it had nothing to do with let's see if the kids get this joke. even the early Disney films were made for adults look at "snow white" at the time that film came out they knew it scare people because of the dark imagery.

the idea that all animation is for kids and must adhere to that standard is pretty much an american idea.

i hope that makes sense....
4371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Rainbow Factory
Offline
Posted 4/19/11

flashersmurf wrote:

i have to admit that Disney has a dark side. i mean great examples of that dark side are "education for death" and and the donald duck short "der fuehrer's face". they were WW2 propaganda films. both films were banned at one time.

but American animation was never really meant for kids it just developed that way. i mean read the book Chuck Amuck by Chuck Jones animator for Warner Brothers. he said that they made the shorts for themselves if they laughed they believed that others would. it had nothing to do with let's see if the kids get this joke. even the early Disney films were made for adults look at "snow white" at the time that film came out they knew it scare people because of the dark imagery.

the idea that all animation is for kids and must adhere to that standard is pretty much an american idea.

i hope that makes sense....


Couldn't agree with you more. I don't really understand why American media only believes cartoon/animated shows are made exclusively for children. It takes a lot of good talent away from making a more anime like animated industry in america.
1555 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Honeydukes
Offline
Posted 4/19/11
darling it's better down where it's wetter
78855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 4/25/11
Oh wow, what is up with people making a big deal out of it, they act like if these movies are going to affect them negatively.
I've watched these movies soo many times when I was little and I never noticed these subliminal messages until a couple of years ago.

Even now when I watch them I still don't even notice the messages. The only thing little kids even pay attention to is the story, singing, and characters.

Posted 4/25/11

PurrtyKitty wrote:

Oh wow, what is up with people making a big deal out of it, they act like if these movies are going to affect them negatively.
I've watched these movies soo many times when I was little and I never noticed these subliminal messages until a couple of years ago.

Even now when I watch them I still don't even notice the messages. The only thing little kids even pay attention to is the story, singing, and characters.



That's why their subliminal. You're not supposed to notice them consciously.

78855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 4/25/11

Vega66 wrote:


PurrtyKitty wrote:

Oh wow, what is up with people making a big deal out of it, they act like if these movies are going to affect them negatively.
I've watched these movies soo many times when I was little and I never noticed these subliminal messages until a couple of years ago.

Even now when I watch them I still don't even notice the messages. The only thing little kids even pay attention to is the story, singing, and characters.



That's why their subliminal. You're not supposed to notice them consciously.



Yeah I know, but now that people have found them it's turned into a big deal. And they can't seem to get over it.
14266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 4/26/11
1. The tower that looks like a penis on the cover of the Little Mermaid, the man who drew the art admitted that it looks like a penis and publicly apologized for the mistake.

2. The picture of a topless woman in the Rescuers, was drawn purposefully by a disgruntled animator.

3. The 'SEX' in Lion King is supposed to be SFX, a company who Disney works with.

4. The Centaur doesn't even look like the same style used in the rest of Fantasia. Fail.

and most of the disney characters don't have parents because it's easier to make a storyline like without thinking about the parents and adds more of a background to the main characters.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.