First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Why people care about japan more than Libya ? ? !
Posted 4/8/11
Both are important of course. And I got one thing to say to all the people who sympathize with Japan only because of anime, technology, etc.:

That's just stupid.


I'm a big fan of anime and I think people who only care about Japan because of anime are giving anime enthusiast a bad name... kinda. Saying "I'm so devastated about the natural disaster in Japan because dude, what would we do without anime?" is equivalent to saying "I care about my parents because they give me my allowance." It's making you look narrow-minded and self-centered. For your own sake, stop it.

And as for Libya, people DO care. It's always sad to know when innocent people die. Everyone doesn't like that. It's human nature. The difference it has with Japan is that other countries cannot FULLY interfere with it because they are gonna have to take sides. I think you all know what that means.
3968 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / In your sushi...O.o
Offline
Posted 4/8/11
Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, think about racial stereotypes. Libya is in the middle east, stereotyped as nothing more than radical Muslim terrorists. Now eventhough I'm aware that isn't true, thats the general stereotype here in the US. While Japan does in fact have negative stereotypes as well, they're not as numerous and not as bad. A lot of it, I think, comes down to the simple fact of racism.
Muppe 
61432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 4/8/11

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


ginchio wrote:

Earthquake is a natural force, but what is happening in libya and other arabian countries is horrible, People shouldn't kill each other! their presidents' greed might even extinct the countrys' people only to stay in their thrones ! The world needs to know about these countries because those people are innocent and getting killed only because they want their rights!


The world does know about these countries it's only ignorant teens who don't.
I'm not sure it's something so simple as "wanting their rights" the populations of these places have been happy to put up with their various dictator and Junta leaders for over half a century. I think they're mostly fed up because the economies suck. And are giving it a whirl because the first of these uprisings (Tunisia) was sucessfull.

Don't kid yourself that this is the start of democracy and western values in those countries though. It could all be just different flavours of Iran in the 70's when the people there god tired of the Shah and his brutal secret police...

... You all know how that turned out I hope.




That is true. However we have no real idea where this will go. Perhaps we are seeing democracy taking root in these areas, or maybe we will simply see the power go to another dictator. We honestly don´t know, we didn´t even see any of this comming in the first place.
Just looking at Europes history and we see that we haven´t always been democraces, it started somewhere and perhaps this is their start, we can only wait and see what comes in the years ahead.
So what I think is that, now all we can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worse.

To the OP.
This is CR, so it´s only natural for people here to care more about Japan, since Japan = the place anime is made. Heck some obviously didn´t even knew Libya existed until recently, since Libya = not a place anime is made. But Libya has oil so our goverments care.
Personaly I find both to be importent, but since I do not know anyone in Libya I care about the events in Japan more.
498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 4/8/11
japan was cause by a natural calamity
Libya was caused by man
59711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/8/11 , edited 4/8/11
In that region of the world where Libya is wars are fought all the time so people have become desensitized to it. Japan is modern country that is well known to the general public but Libya is a country that does not appear on peoples radars.

I honestly hope the rebels can get organized and utilize the support the US government is giving. However I really don't care what happens to Libya but that is just my own opinion.



Chitaka wrote:

Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, think about racial stereotypes. Libya is in the middle east, stereotyped as nothing more than radical Muslim terrorists. Now eventhough I'm aware that isn't true, thats the general stereotype here in the US. While Japan does in fact have negative stereotypes as well, they're not as numerous and not as bad. A lot of it, I think, comes down to the simple fact of racism.


Not everything is about race...
Posted 4/8/11
so why do people care about Lybia and not care about Bahrain??????????
people in bahrain are being killed brutally too and the media is ignoring what's happening there !!!
fucked up world
14103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Liverpool
Offline
Posted 4/8/11
To be honest I hadn't heard about Libya until a few days ago. I don't watch the news and spend most of my time on the internet.
Posted 4/8/11 , edited 4/8/11

-Akai wrote:



well most of us know what happened in Libya
a war between the ppl and the ruler i think they
sufer more than Japanese ppl because they killed in a
scary ways , in japan they died because of natural
so its natural .!

i think what happen in Libya is more important than jap.
because i know some ppl care about jap because of anime things and stuff !
And in Libya its become a bloody hell , and most of the killed are kids =(
well its my opinions after all . What do you thinks ?



Here's the list of most current ongoing military conflicts:


Naxalite-Maoist insurgency (In India)
Afghan civil war
Somali Civil War
Iraq War
War in North-West Pakistan
Shi’ite Insurgency in Yemen
Mexican Drug War
Sudanese nomadic conflicts
Second Ivorian Civil War
Libyan civil war

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ongoing_military_conflicts

I guess I can turn around and say Libya is getting all the attention. I think there's been much more news coverage on Libya than the other conflicts going on.

I also submit that I had no Idea about some of the ongoing conflicts. What is your evidence that people care more about Japan? Then again I don't hear much people talk about Libya. I can agree with you in some respect due to the fact that on CR it's inevitable that people here are going to focus on Japan =/

I think Japan is more freakish due to the fact the situation is beyond anyone's control. But I don't think I can put these disasters and conflicts on a different levels of importance..people are being killed.

Libya's war was caused by men, so I guess because of that it's harder to sympathise because it's just another Iraq/Afganistan to some people. I also think because in the West something like this is less likely to happen so people tend to be like "meh". But people are always going to be freaked out by an unexpected, uncontrollable, natural disasters.

I guess the media has some role in it aswell.

People should pay attention to Libya's conflict due to the fact the West are intervening and that could mean potential repercussions for us.



Posted 4/8/11
Crunchyroll undoubtedly is gonna have more information about Japan than anywhere else.

Most people here either have been or is dying to see Japan in front of them very own eyes. And they also care about Japanese culture and know what a Otaku is. Libya is something they aren't worried about. I am worried about it and so are you. But I wouldn't present to people who don't care for it. Let them watch anime and look at more Japanese stuff, and You and I can go else where to talk this matter.
3238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 4/8/11

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

Dude I think you're jumping the gun there. Yes US planes and aircrew are involved in this NATO activity against Armoured columns believed to be a threat to civilians, but the British are equally in there and no one has troops on the ground.

Also I'm not sure what's "illegal" about preventing Large well armoured and armed military formations from killing the civilians they supposedly swore an oath to protect. But then I'm not an international lawyer



Can you say the same thing about Iraq, when Bush sent our troops there to fight Sadam Hussein?

Do tell us....

44524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Georgia
Offline
Posted 4/8/11
In the end, which are we more likely to be able to help with, disaster relief funding or an internal revolution?
Posted 4/8/11 , edited 4/8/11
Africa is a poorly managed shithole. Always has been, and it doesn't help to have a civil war going on anywhere in it.
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Online
Posted 4/8/11

squirrel3d wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

Dude I think you're jumping the gun there. Yes US planes and aircrew are involved in this NATO activity against Armoured columns believed to be a threat to civilians, but the British are equally in there and no one has troops on the ground.

Also I'm not sure what's "illegal" about preventing Large well armoured and armed military formations from killing the civilians they supposedly swore an oath to protect. But then I'm not an international lawyer



Can you say the same thing about Iraq, when Bush sent our troops there to fight Sadam Hussein?

Do tell us....



The thing that upset me most about Iraq is that it made a side show out of Afghanistan and that's where my country's soldiers were and are still doing their bleeding and dieing (At least our own allies cough USAF Cough aren't doing some of the killing in friendly fire incidents anymore)

As for weather I can say that you're jumping the gun about Iraq or weather or not it was legal:

1) I honestly don't know but don't think it was legal.
2) I fail to see what relevance that has to my point concerning your post about LIBYA...

We are talking about LIBYA not Iraq. What I believe or not about Iraq is irrelevant to point you raised and I was disputing. I am talking about LIBYA.

If you want to talk about Iraq, start another thread.


75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Online
Posted 4/8/11

KatSerEst wrote:

Both are important of course. And I got one thing to say to all the people who sympathize with Japan only because of anime, technology, etc.:

That's just stupid.


I'm a big fan of anime and I think people who only care about Japan because of anime are giving anime enthusiast a bad name... kinda. Saying "I'm so devastated about the natural disaster in Japan because dude, what would we do without anime?" is equivalent to saying "I care about my parents because they give me my allowance." It's making you look narrow-minded and self-centered. For your own sake, stop it.

And as for Libya, people DO care. It's always sad to know when innocent people die. Everyone doesn't like that. It's human nature. The difference it has with Japan is that other countries cannot FULLY interfere with it because they are gonna have to take sides. I think you all know what that means.


Qouted For Truth. (QFT)

Both well made points:

1) Anyone saying they think Japan is more important because of anime and gadgets. Is displaying a self centred and ignorant attitude that looks ugly to me.

2) It's a lot easier to help with a Natural or even man made disaster than it is to stop a fight without alienating someone. That's why Cops think Firemen have it easy.

Posted 4/8/11 , edited 4/8/11


Sorry to bother you, but judging from all your posts here, you must really love this thread
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.