First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Why people care about japan more than Libya ? ? !
357 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/8/11 , edited 4/8/11
Because the Japanese people didn't bring their disaster upon themselves unlike the Libyans. They willingly picked a fight with a dictator and now that they are losing they are trying to garner sympathy.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 4/8/11

otaku_125 wrote:



Sorry to bother you, but judging from all your posts here, you must really love this thread


Nope just wasting time on the internet. Though I admit that talking about matters of substance is more interesting than some the subjects I see posted here.


Posted 4/8/11
Japan: Worldwide hype for years

Libya: ....................?


Posted 4/8/11

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


akutsu24 wrote:

Thats pretty simple. Japan actually contributes to world growth in technology and sustainability. The Japanese people also recycle, don't over populate, and basically control this cite. Japan just seems more important over all. Sorry, if I offended anyone, I just think Japan is the best country.


Japan is an overpopulated giant factory on a rock. .. perched on the edge of a tectonic plate. I love their cartoons. The have some interesting food. Some of the philosophies attributed to them are interesting but... Best country in the world? and even if so.. their misery is more important than that all these 'lessor' countries we live in? I think someones Japanophilia is getting out of hand.



WIN!!!
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 4/8/11 , edited 4/8/11

Burst_knuckle wrote:

Because the Japanese people didn't bring their disaster upon themselves unlike the Libyans. They willingly picked a fight with a dictator and now that they are losing they are trying to garner sympathy.


Actually, Last I heard .. they were winning. NATO airsupport having balanced their lack of ANY anti-armour capability.

I don't really understand why "willingly picking a fight with a dictator" means they are somehow less deserving of sympathy.

357 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/8/11

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Burst_knuckle wrote:

Because the Japanese people didn't bring their disaster upon themselves unlike the Libyans. They willingly picked a fight with a dictator and now that they are losing they are trying to garner sympathy.


Actually, Last I heard .. they were winning. NATO airsupport having balanced their lack of ANY anti-armour capability.

I don't really understand why "willingly picking a fight with a dictator" means they are somehow less deserving of sympathy.



I suppose I have overlooked a few key points on the matter. My point is that the Libyans had a choice in the matter unlike the Japanese. Nevertheless, my opinion does seem a bit cruel in retrospect.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 4/8/11

Burst_knuckle wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Burst_knuckle wrote:

Because the Japanese people didn't bring their disaster upon themselves unlike the Libyans. They willingly picked a fight with a dictator and now that they are losing they are trying to garner sympathy.


Actually, Last I heard .. they were winning. NATO airsupport having balanced their lack of ANY anti-armour capability.

I don't really understand why "willingly picking a fight with a dictator" means they are somehow less deserving of sympathy.



I suppose I have overlooked a few key points on the matter. My point is that the Libyans had a choice in the matter unlike the Japanese. Nevertheless, my opinion does seem a bit cruel in retrospect.


I suppose a fair point. but then obviously they were miserable under this dictator too.

someonelse suggested that it's easier to support a situation like Japan's vs. Libya's because there's no sides to choose.


3238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 4/8/11

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

As for weather I can say that you're jumping the gun about Iraq or weather or not it was legal:

1) I honestly don't know but don't think it was legal.
2) I fail to see what relevance that has to my point concerning your post about LIBYA...

We are talking about LIBYA not Iraq. What I believe or not about Iraq is irrelevant to point you raised and I was disputing. I am talking about LIBYA.

If you want to talk about Iraq, start another thread.




Ok let me make it real clear to you. When Bush did the same thing in Iraq....we were all told how illegal it was and how Bush is a war criminal and blah blah blah. Yet Obama does the same tatic in Libya, but all of a sudden the same people who cried and bitched when Bush sent our troops in an illegal war ARE FUCKING SILENT BECAUSE THEY LICK THE ASS OF THEIR OWN WHEN THEY DO THE SAME THINGS!!

And now here we are, fighting three conflicts that we have no business fighting in, and the majority of the people are sick and tired of the bullshit coming from both political parties. That's why they care more about what happened in japan. As do I.

It is that damn relevant. And we have no damn business being in libya at all. And I do wonder if you even gave one cent to the relief efforts in Japan.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 4/8/11

squirrel3d wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

As for weather I can say that you're jumping the gun about Iraq or weather or not it was legal:

1) I honestly don't know but don't think it was legal.
2) I fail to see what relevance that has to my point concerning your post about LIBYA...

We are talking about LIBYA not Iraq. What I believe or not about Iraq is irrelevant to point you raised and I was disputing. I am talking about LIBYA.

If you want to talk about Iraq, start another thread.




Ok let me make it real clear to you. When Bush did the same thing in Iraq....we were all told how illegal it was and how Bush is a war criminal and blah blah blah. Yet Obama does the same tatic in Libya, but all of a sudden the same people who cried and bitched when Bush sent our troops in an illegal war ARE FUCKING SILENT BECAUSE THEY LICK THE ASS OF THEIR OWN WHEN THEY DO THE SAME THINGS!!

And now here we are, fighting three conflicts that we have no business fighting in, and the majority of the people are sick and tired of the bullshit coming from both political parties. That's why they care more about what happened in japan. As do I.

It is that damn relevant. And we have no damn business being in libya at all. And I do wonder if you even gave one cent to the relief efforts in Japan.


I care less about the internal politics of your overated country than I do about Japan. And again What does the amount of money I may or may not have donated have ANYTHING to do with this thread. for that matter what does your argument have to do with this thread. So you're a Bush supporter. Me I can't decide which party/leader/ local representative is going to get my vote in our upcoming federal elections.

Let me make it real clear to YOU it's not about you, nor the US, and it's certainly not about Bush.

The OP asked why everyone was such a bleeding heart about Japans troubles but nobody cared about Libya. My own posts have been along the lines of suggesting that Libya is recieving plenty of care and that he shouldn't confuse noise on an internet forum with substantive action.

Where does some Guy who couldn't get re-elected unless you revised your constitution come into this AT ALL. You Sir, appear Obsessed.

66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 4/8/11

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Burst_knuckle wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Burst_knuckle wrote:

Because the Japanese people didn't bring their disaster upon themselves unlike the Libyans. They willingly picked a fight with a dictator and now that they are losing they are trying to garner sympathy.


Actually, Last I heard .. they were winning. NATO airsupport having balanced their lack of ANY anti-armour capability.

I don't really understand why "willingly picking a fight with a dictator" means they are somehow less deserving of sympathy.



I suppose I have overlooked a few key points on the matter. My point is that the Libyans had a choice in the matter unlike the Japanese. Nevertheless, my opinion does seem a bit cruel in retrospect.


I suppose a fair point. but then obviously they were miserable under this dictator too.

someonelse suggested that it's easier to support a situation like Japan's vs. Libya's because there's no sides to choose.




to be fair i am more worried about this than anything else right now
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/antibiotic-superbugs-crkp-mrsa-risk

75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 4/8/11 , edited 4/8/11

Cecilthedarkknight234 wrote:


to be fair i am more worried about this than anything else right now
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/antibiotic-superbugs-crkp-mrsa-risk



That was old news when I was in nursing school ten years ago.

Oh well, I grew up in the cold war. Figured I was going to get krispy crittered by Mutual Assured Destruction looooong ago. Every minute is bonus time now.

My money on doomsday scenarios is green house gas >> climate change >> release of frozen methane >> green flouridic acid skies.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing green skies before I become like the clients I service in my nursing home. I wouldn't wish that life on my worst enemy.

66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 4/8/11

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Cecilthedarkknight234 wrote:


to be fair i am more worried about this than anything else right now
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/antibiotic-superbugs-crkp-mrsa-risk



That was old news when I was in nursing school ten years ago.

Oh well, I grew up in the cold war. Figured I was going to get krispy crittered by Mutual Assured Destruction looooong ago. Every minute is bonus time now.

My money on doomsday scenarios is green house gas >> climate change >> release of frozen methane >> green flouridic acid skies.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing green skies before I become like the clients I service in my nursing home. I wouldn't wish that life on my worst enemy.


huh well it's new to me anyways but meh with the us government shutting tonight after midnight it's going to be fun for everyone.
39934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / California
Offline
Posted 4/8/11
Japan is not only cause of anime i am pretty sure if you ask someone else who is not familiar with anime will have a different response.

I believe because Japan got struck really hard
3238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 4/8/11 , edited 4/8/11

papagolfwhiskey wrote:
I care less about the internal politics of your overated country than I do about Japan. And again What does the amount of money I may or may not have donated have ANYTHING to do with this thread. for that matter what does your argument have to do with this thread. So you're a Bush supporter. Me I can't decide which party/leader/ local representative is going to get my vote in our upcoming federal elections.

Let me make it real clear to YOU it's not about you, nor the US, and it's certainly not about Bush.

The OP asked why everyone was such a bleeding heart about Japans troubles but nobody cared about Libya. My own posts have been along the lines of suggesting that Libya is recieving plenty of care and that he shouldn't confuse noise on an internet forum with substantive action.

Where does some Guy who couldn't get re-elected unless you revised your constitution come into this AT ALL. You Sir, appear Obsessed.




So now I'm a Bush supporter...EVEN THOUGH I ATTACKED HIM AND THE REPUBLICAN PARTY in both my posts!? Now look who is jumping the gun. Anyone who has known me in this place knows damn well that I am independant and that I have attacked both sides many times before. This proves that you didn't read everything I stated, but just looked at it and saw something that stuck out, and you decided to sell yourself on the false assumption that I am a republican.

I thought this thread was asking about why japan was more important than the libya suituation, and I gave my opinion about it. If you can't find the connection with what I've been typing, then I'm done with you. And I don't give a shit about whatever shit country you are from ether.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 4/9/11
Okay, You're right. I misread your last post and flew off the handle a bit. Conversely don't you think your own word choices and sentence structure have presented an aggressive and angry tone? If every thing you type comes off as attempted jab at the other poster's face is it really surprising when the responses start looking like counter-punches?

Regardless I'm sorry I mistook you for an angry Bush supporter. I was wrong.

I'm going to take a deep breath and try again.

Let's rewind a bit:

With your other posts to clarify and the benefit of hindsight I believe the thesis of your first post to be:

People care more about Japan than Libya, because Libya is news about US government fighting another illegal war, identical to the one in Iraq started by the previous American administration. And everyone in the whole world is sick of America's two party system and it's illegal wars.(The italics are my understanding of your post. Feel free to correct me if you think I've put words in your mouth)

My response disputed the comparison with the invasion of Iraq and current western action in Tripoli. Let me spell out why I disputed that comparison (something I didn't do in my original response)

The Invasion of Iraq was US led, on behalf of US objectives. It was an Invasion with entire armies on the ground IN Iraq. It was done without much international support. The UN did NOT sanction the invasion. Neither did NATO or any other treaty organization to which the US belonged. While Britain and Australia participated in putting troops on the ground many western nations (like France and Germany) objected and complained. Other long term American Allies (like Canada) refused to participate (among other things we were rather busy in Afghanistan)

Western intervention in Libya is in no way comparable to the above. The intervention is operating under a fully sanctioned United Nations directive to protect civilians. The forces involved are primarily air units and NONE of them are based or landing in Libya. The only foreign soldiers on the ground in Libya are African Mercenaries working for Col. Qaddifi.The forces involved are truly multinational, too many to count, with Basing support in Italy and Crete. The intervention itself is operating as a fully approved North Atlantic Treaty Organization mission under the command of a Canadian General. It's mission is not overthrow of a regime. It is simply destroying military units that appear to be threatening civilian populations.

It's EFFECT has been to turn the balance power away from Qaddifi's poorly trained poorly motivated troops (these are the guys who lost to a bunch of Chad irregulars in converted Toyota's the last time they went to war) and in the favour of the rebels. Simply because until the UN interventions Qaddifi's forces had tanks (ancient POS soviet tanks but... Tanks) and the Rebels had neither tanks nor any anti-armour capability. When the airstrikes started taking out armoured columns moving in the open, that balance of power shifted. However the above was the EFFECT, not the mission.

I don't accept your comparison of the two events as being valid.

And frankly I don't buy your assertion that everyone on Crunchyroll appears to care more about Japan than Libya because they're sick of American politics. Many of us are not American.


The rest, to my mind, was irrelevant tangents that had nothing to do with the point you raised nor my objections to it. However I will address one of those irrelevancies:

For the record I haven't given one red cent in charitable donations to Japan. This is not unusual for me. I also haven't donated to to Haiti, New Orleans, nor Chapter's constant request that I donate to child literacy every time I buy a book. And I never donate over the phone or when people knock on my door on behalf of PETA, the Jehova's Witness, or the power and natural gas resellers.

What has that got to do with my understanding of Geopolitics? Or are you saying that because I didn't donate money I have no right to speak? Why so? This thread is asking why it seems that no one cares as much about Libya as about Japan. I offer myself as evidence that at least one person doesn't care enough to spend money on either of them.

our entire conversation so far is under the spoiler below:

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.