First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
An anime with ABSOLUTELY NO BOYS in the lead or even as supporting characters?
4246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Leaf village
Offline
Posted 4/11/11
I know K-On, Maria sama ga Miteru (this except the brother guy, i don't even remember whose).

So. Usually, if it's an anime/manga with a group of men in the lead, it will have at least one or two women in the supporting cast. Even if that's a yaoi/shonen-ai anime. But there's some anime with ridiculously zilch men in it.

This thread will have one page of postings, at best, but i'm still curious as to if and then why you like or hate such anime.
1487 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F
Offline
Posted 4/11/11 , edited 4/11/11
No, I think it's really stupid for either one (no boys) or (no girls). It feels too unrealistic and too yuri/yaoi fanboy/fangirl-pandering. And it feels insultingly sexist.

If it's still a good anime despite this, I'll watch it. But I really really hate the concept.

No boys

-Galaxy Angels has absolutely NO male characters in the anime and I hate it. The manga and games are way better with an extremely likable male lead.

-Strawberry Panic has no male characters.

-Galaxy Fraulein Yuna has no named male characters. I love the OVAs.....but that still bothers me. XD

-Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha eventually gets rid of its few male characters to pander to the yuri crowd. *disgusted face*


No girls

Sukisho is a shounen-ai anime and game and it's almost as if females do not exist.

Angel Feather is another one and not only that but EVERYONE IS GAY. Rofl, retarded. There's nothing wrong with having gay characters but when EVERYONE is gay, it just feels ridiculous. I think even real gay men would make fun of such a concept.
44041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 4/11/11
Strike Witches
66778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 4/11/11 , edited 4/11/11

Chiibihime wrote:

No, I think it's really stupid for either one (no boys) or (no girls). It feels too unrealistic and too yuri/yaoi fanboy/fangirl-pandering. And it feels insultingly sexist.

If it's still a good anime despite this, I'll watch it. But I really really hate the concept.

No boys

-Galaxy Angels has absolutely NO male characters in the anime and I hate
it. The manga and games are way better with an extremely likable male lead.

-Strawberry Panic has no male characters.

-Galaxy Fraulein Yuna has no named male characters. I love the OVAs.....but that still bothers me. XD

-Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha eventually gets rid of its few male characters to pander to the yuri crowd. *disgusted face*

No girls

Sukisho is a shounen-ai anime and game and it's almost as if females do not exist.

Angel Feather is another one and not only that but EVERYONE IS GAY. Rofl, retarded. There's nothing wrong with having gay characters but when EVERYONE is gay, it just feels ridiculous. I think even real gay men would make fun of such a concept.

so you like yaoi then it doesn't really bother me either way but k-on, lucky star, azumanga daioh, "there is a yuri anime on here but it's a romance series with serious tones not cheap pandering like in wandering son was able to do" hmmmm I don't really know oh strawberry marshamallow was pretty fun to watch, not meant for guys but still cute as hell... i am seeing that most of these series are slice of life/comedies....hmmm oh well I can't nothing for magical girl nanoha because well i have never seen it

edit i can't fix the problem with quoting your thing so well yeah sorry this.
The Wise Wizard
100935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 4/11/11

Chiibihime wrote:

No, I think it's really stupid for either one (no boys) or (no girls). It feels too unrealistic and too yuri/yaoi fanboy/fangirl-pandering. And it feels insultingly sexist.

If it's still a good anime despite this, I'll watch it. But I really really hate the concept.

No boys

-Galaxy Angels has absolutely NO male characters in the anime and I hate it. The manga and games are way better with an extremely likable male lead.

-Strawberry Panic has no male characters.

-Galaxy Fraulein Yuna has no named male characters. I love the OVAs.....but that still bothers me. XD

-Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha eventually gets rid of its few male characters to pander to the yuri crowd. *disgusted face* <_<.

Galaxy Angels: Apparently you were watching a different series than I was, as the one I watched had a male commander. I think his name was Volcott.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: Named male characters were present as part of the cast in each series, and StrikerS actually had the most, thanks mostly to the large cast.

760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / England
Offline
Posted 4/11/11 , edited 4/11/11
Azumanga Daioh - The series is about a group of girl in high school, and there are no male significant characters. Unless you count Chiyo-chan's dog. It's a slice-of-life/comedy series with a rather random sense of humour but it is very funny and has some nice little stories and characters.

While the obvious bias towards an all-male or all-female main cast can seem a questionable decision or just unappealing at times, this is one series where it doesn't bother me. It's just a whole lot of fun.

And for a predominantly male example we have Ouran High School Host Club, although that's a different case because it deliberately plays with the kind of characters and content you find in that sort of shoujo/romance series, and is pretty funny doing it.
Posted 4/11/11
There were a lot of boys in MariMite later on. First season it was just Yumi's brother and Kashiwagi. If MariMite counts as having no supporting male characters, then I can probably list a lot of shows, but Kashiwagi plays a prominent role in the first part of MariMite. Granted, most male characters later on played small roles, but in some episodes the two guys mentioned played big roles.
66778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 4/11/11

Astria wrote:

Azumanga Daioh - The series is about a group of girl in high school, and there are no male significant characters. Unless you count Chiyo-chan's dog. It's a slice-of-life/comedy series with a rather random sense of humour but it is very funny and has some nice little stories and characters.

While the obvious bias towards an all-male or all-female main cast can seem a questionable decision or just unappealing at times, this is one series where it doesn't bother me. It's just a whole lot of fun.

And for a predominantly male example we have Ouran High School Host Club, although that's a different case because it deliberately plays with the kind of characters and content you find in that sort of shoujo/romance series, and is pretty funny doing it.


i think you forgot some one from azumanga daioh
2932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / London Below
Offline
Posted 4/11/11
All the Pretty Cure series (The mascots don't count!)

34937 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Raccoon City
Offline
Posted 4/11/11

javisst wrote:

Strike Witches

Strike witches has male characters ( example- the navy)
Its been awhile since I watch strikes witches season 1 and 2
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 4/11/11
K-ON!

Loved this anime. But that doesn't mean I'm a fan of all-girls anime, I actually hate it... lol.
49420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 4/11/11
Saki has a few male supporting roles, but considering how many female roles there are . . . yeah. Though, Saki actually needs a massive female cast to support its setting. Each new team means five new female roles. A single round of a girls' mahjong tournament needs 20 players, and Saki shows more than just one round. With so many characters to keep track of with just the necessary female roles, it makes sense they'd keep unnecessary extras to a minimum.

I can also see why so few are male: since they are relatively rare by necessity and their presence at a girls' tournament must be explained, any male extra will seem to be significant. The few that show up tend to be interesting and have some important connection to one or more of the competing girls, which keeps them tied to the plot rather than feeling like male extras just for the sake of having a few male extras. The manga has moved past the regionals, and looks to be on course to doubling the already massive female cast for the national tournament.
69382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Going crazy.
Offline
Posted 4/11/11
The new series, Battle Girls - Time Paradox seems to have no guys in it so far.
66778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 4/11/11

steeleman2003 wrote:

The new series, Battle Girls - Time Paradox seems to have no guys in it so far.


hmm since i think they are in a time paradox with only females, that dog came from world she did just turned that way, now this just a hunch.
69382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Going crazy.
Offline
Posted 4/11/11

Cecilthedarkknight234 wrote:


steeleman2003 wrote:

The new series, Battle Girls - Time Paradox seems to have no guys in it so far.


hmm since i think they are in a time paradox with only females, that dog came from world she did just turned that way, now this just a hunch.


I can see that dog pulling a Yoruichi and transforming into a human later on. XD lol. And even though its got the male voice I bet its really a girl. haha
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.