Edano says gov't will support livelihoods of displaced people
Monday 18th April, 07:00 AM JST
* only article
* article and comments
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told the governor of Fukushima Prefecture on Sunday that the government would take responsibility for the livelihoods of people displaced by the nuclear disaster caused by the March 11 mega earthquake and tsunami.
Speaking before reporters in Fukushima, Edano said he told Gov Yuhei Sato that ensuring people’s livelihoods and security is the government’s priority.
The top government spokesman also told Sato at the prefectural office that the government would do its utmost to prevent farmers from Fukushima suffering financially due to misperceptions among consumers about the effects of the nuclear accident at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant.
Edano declined to specify when residents of the 20-kilometer evacuation radius around the nuclear plant will be able to return temporarily to collect belongings and inspect their homes, while Sato told him, ‘‘I expect the government to act on the disaster-hit people’s behalf and to make all reparations for their damage.’‘
Edano earlier in the day arrived in Fukushima Prefecture for the first time since the disaster, on a mission to explain government support policies to administrative leaders there.
Regarding the potential expansion of the evacuation zone, Edano indicated to reporters after the meeting that it was not being considered by the government, and would not be unless there was a further deterioration of conditions surrounding the nuclear plant.