First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Ao No Excorsist
43200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Formally New York...
Offline
Posted 4/26/11
Anyone else realize that someone is subbing Ao No Excorsist like 2 days earlier than CR? Whoever it is did a really good job too they have my thanks.
17562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 4/26/11
Yep, I did.. I've already watched the 2nd episode, subbed.
A friend told me about this anime and now I'm hooked.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 4/26/11

newyorkmetsman wrote:

Anyone else realize that someone is subbing Ao No Excorsist like 2 days earlier than CR? Whoever it is did a really good job too they have my thanks.


Yes same.. I find crunchy is a little slow on the ball.. So I don't really watch my anime on CR. I have better places for watching anime, I go to crunchy for the debates.
56748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Murfreesboro, TN
Offline
Posted 4/26/11

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


newyorkmetsman wrote:

Anyone else realize that someone is subbing Ao No Excorsist like 2 days earlier than CR? Whoever it is did a really good job too they have my thanks.


Yes same.. I find crunchy is a little slow on the ball.. So I don't really watch my anime on CR. I have better places for watching anime, I go to crunchy for the debates.


And where would these places be outside of fansub torrents/ddl? I watch the shows CR gets on CR to help things along so they can grab rights to more shows so they can have ratings to show off. its not so much and i can watch anime on the go without downloading anything and stuff.

CR isn't slow on the ball, they just get rights from certain channels. other stations in different regions of japan air things at different days/times.

No mater how you slice the pie, you still get the next episode in 7 days.
43200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Formally New York...
Offline
Posted 4/26/11

Sekiryo wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


newyorkmetsman wrote:

Anyone else realize that someone is subbing Ao No Excorsist like 2 days earlier than CR? Whoever it is did a really good job too they have my thanks.


Yes same.. I find crunchy is a little slow on the ball.. So I don't really watch my anime on CR. I have better places for watching anime, I go to crunchy for the debates.


And where would these places be outside of fansub torrents/ddl? I watch the shows CR gets on CR to help things along so they can grab rights to more shows so they can have ratings to show off. its not so much and i can watch anime on the go without downloading anything and stuff.

CR isn't slow on the ball, they just get rights from certain channels. other stations in different regions of japan air things at different days/times.

No mater how you slice the pie, you still get the next episode in 7 days.


Why wait 7 days when I can watch it in 5. Don't forget fansubs is what made CR what it is today.
56748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Murfreesboro, TN
Offline
Posted 4/26/11

newyorkmetsman wrote:


Sekiryo wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


newyorkmetsman wrote:

Anyone else realize that someone is subbing Ao No Excorsist like 2 days earlier than CR? Whoever it is did a really good job too they have my thanks.


Yes same.. I find crunchy is a little slow on the ball.. So I don't really watch my anime on CR. I have better places for watching anime, I go to crunchy for the debates.


And where would these places be outside of fansub torrents/ddl? I watch the shows CR gets on CR to help things along so they can grab rights to more shows so they can have ratings to show off. its not so much and i can watch anime on the go without downloading anything and stuff.

CR isn't slow on the ball, they just get rights from certain channels. other stations in different regions of japan air things at different days/times.

No mater how you slice the pie, you still get the next episode in 7 days.


Why wait 7 days when I can watch it in 5. Don't forget fansubs is what made CR what it is today.


Uh, 7 days from when you watched it is when the next one comes out. Do the math.
Watching Ep.2 2 days early doesn't make Ep3 come out even quicker.
56748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Murfreesboro, TN
Offline
Posted 4/26/11
Also loving how all the non subscribers are the ones touting fansubs. If you love fansubs you should support online services...from what ive seen online streaming on multiple sites is reviving anime again. take a hint from [gg] and don't watch fansubs of lisenced shows.
43200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Formally New York...
Offline
Posted 4/27/11

Sekiryo wrote:


newyorkmetsman wrote:


Sekiryo wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


newyorkmetsman wrote:

Anyone else realize that someone is subbing Ao No Excorsist like 2 days earlier than CR? Whoever it is did a really good job too they have my thanks.


Yes same.. I find crunchy is a little slow on the ball.. So I don't really watch my anime on CR. I have better places for watching anime, I go to crunchy for the debates.


And where would these places be outside of fansub torrents/ddl? I watch the shows CR gets on CR to help things along so they can grab rights to more shows so they can have ratings to show off. its not so much and i can watch anime on the go without downloading anything and stuff.

CR isn't slow on the ball, they just get rights from certain channels. other stations in different regions of japan air things at different days/times.

No mater how you slice the pie, you still get the next episode in 7 days.


Why wait 7 days when I can watch it in 5. Don't forget fansubs is what made CR what it is today.


Uh, 7 days from when you watched it is when the next one comes out. Do the math.
Watching Ep.2 2 days early doesn't make Ep3 come out even quicker.


Perhaps I didn't explain or perhaps you're to stupid to understand. But if what you say is true and a different station is releasing the show 2 days earlier than whatever station CR shares a license with then I'm going to watch it 2 days earlier. Why watch it on a wednesday if I can watch it on a monday. You do the math asshole.
38610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 4/27/11

Sekiryo wrote:

Also loving how all the non subscribers are the ones touting fansubs. If you love fansubs you should support online services...from what ive seen online streaming on multiple sites is reviving anime again. take a hint from [gg] and don't watch fansubs of lisenced shows.


I enjoy CR, and when they're first, with shows like Bleach, Gosick, etc, I watch them here.. When fansubbers beat them to the punch, like with Ao no Exorcist, C, or Hoshizora, I'm watching the subs. Note the star by my name.
Also, the fansub releases of Ao no Exorcist and C that I'm watching.. [gg] all the way.
43200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Formally New York...
Offline
Posted 4/27/11

Sekiryo wrote:

Also loving how all the non subscribers are the ones touting fansubs. If you love fansubs you should support online services...from what ive seen online streaming on multiple sites is reviving anime again. take a hint from [gg] and don't watch fansubs of lisenced shows.


Reviving anime? I was unaware that anime was ever on a downslope? I've been watching fansubs for OVER 10 years and never did I realize that less anime was being produced. Fansubs do not effect the creators/producers/sponcers of anime especially since it's all made in Japan. The only one's effected by fansubbers are U.S. companies looking to make a buck out of someone else's work. Fansub's are made by fans for their own personal use and have the kindness to share their hard work with the general public for FREE and to not make any profit. I personally don't give a shit if Buena Vista makes a profit off of subbing an anime or not. I pay for CR because I like CR's concepts however I think it's bullshit that so many people's hard work is being pulled off the net because they're being threatened by lawsuits. It's free information if I smack some subtitles on something and want to show it to people free of charge I have that right to according to the constitution of the United States of America. What these companies are doing is also in violation of the free information act. Personally I wish some fansubber had the guts to stand up to one of these already multimillion dollar corperations and say to them fine let's take this to court because I have a RIGHT to do this just as much as you do. Someone clearly flagged my post but who cares. I should be allowed to post what I want within reason and I don't think this post was unreasonable. In simation you're an asshole
38610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 4/27/11

newyorkmetsman wrote:
The only one's effected by fansubbers are U.S. companies looking to make a buck out of someone else's work. Fansub's are made by fans for their own personal use and have the kindness to share their hard work with the general public for FREE and to not make any profit. I personally don't give a shit if Buena Vista makes a profit off of subbing an anime or not. I pay for CR because I like CR's concepts however I think it's bullshit that so many people's hard work is being pulled off the net because they're being threatened by lawsuits. It's free information if I smack some subtitles on something and want to show it to people free of charge I have that right to according to the constitution of the United States of America. What these companies are doing is also in violation of the free information act.


While I like fansubs, and am totally fine with partaking in them, they are completely illegal, and claiming otherwise is just ignorant. Let's hit on your points here, which are pretty nearly all wrong.

Japanese companies get money from foreign licensors, in the US as well as other countries, like Brazil and Italy, to name a couple that also have pretty major fansubbing communities. Fansubs may not directly detract from sales in those places, but they certainly impact them, and the loss of royalties flows back to Japan, so fansubs affect the original creators as well. Not to mention that the "hard work" you mention fansubbers doing is far surpassed by the licensing companies that produce entirely new audio tracks for the shows and movies when they dub them.

Fansubbers do this for their own reasons, most often to practice translating, encoding,or timing. Personal use is rarely a factor, since if you speak Japanese well enough to translate a TV series, you don't need subtitles anymore. Kindness may be a part of the motivation, but ego and attention seeking is more likely (read up on Dattebayo if you can't remember how insane some groups could get). Most groups are doing this for free, or even spending money to do it, but some have been shady dicks with donation schemes, ad revenue and the like. Not to mention the real scummy bastards that charge a fee for fansub and scanslation access, with Tazmo being about the best known example. Those guys are one of the biggest reasons that fansubs are targeted so heavily now.

Subtitles are not an original work, nor are translations, the copyright still belongs to the original creator or studios and the concepts of freedom of speech and freedom of press do not apply. Intellectual property is not referenced in the constitution in any way, however there is plenty of mention of if and the unauthorized use of it in the International Copyright Laws. Pretty much exclusively as a crime, which is what fansubbing is, when you break it down to the basic facts.

The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a federal law that allows for the full or partial disclosure of previously unreleased information and documents controlled by the United States Government. It has nothing whatsoever to do with privately owned works, no matter what medium they are presented in. Also, Japanese anime studios are, fairly obviously, not the United States Government. What you seem to think the FOIA means is that you can wander into the bookstore, grab whatever you want to read and walk out with it, without paying. This is so obviously not the case that a sane person wouldn't even consider doing it.

Now, as I said, I watch fansubs. I LIKE fansubs, and often feel that they are superior products to licensed subs. But at least I have the self-respect to not lie to myself and act like I'm supporting some sort of modern Robin Hood society when I'm just another internet video pirate.
1926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 4/27/11

kiojonny wrote:


newyorkmetsman wrote:
The only one's effected by fansubbers are U.S. companies looking to make a buck out of someone else's work. Fansub's are made by fans for their own personal use and have the kindness to share their hard work with the general public for FREE and to not make any profit. I personally don't give a shit if Buena Vista makes a profit off of subbing an anime or not. I pay for CR because I like CR's concepts however I think it's bullshit that so many people's hard work is being pulled off the net because they're being threatened by lawsuits. It's free information if I smack some subtitles on something and want to show it to people free of charge I have that right to according to the constitution of the United States of America. What these companies are doing is also in violation of the free information act.


While I like fansubs, and am totally fine with partaking in them, they are completely illegal, and claiming otherwise is just ignorant. Let's hit on your points here, which are pretty nearly all wrong.

Japanese companies get money from foreign licensors, in the US as well as other countries, like Brazil and Italy, to name a couple that also have pretty major fansubbing communities. Fansubs may not directly detract from sales in those places, but they certainly impact them, and the loss of royalties flows back to Japan, so fansubs affect the original creators as well. Not to mention that the "hard work" you mention fansubbers doing is far surpassed by the licensing companies that produce entirely new audio tracks for the shows and movies when they dub them.

Fansubbers do this for their own reasons, most often to practice translating, encoding,or timing. Personal use is rarely a factor, since if you speak Japanese well enough to translate a TV series, you don't need subtitles anymore. Kindness may be a part of the motivation, but ego and attention seeking is more likely (read up on Dattebayo if you can't remember how insane some groups could get). Most groups are doing this for free, or even spending money to do it, but some have been shady dicks with donation schemes, ad revenue and the like. Not to mention the real scummy bastards that charge a fee for fansub and scanslation access, with Tazmo being about the best known example. Those guys are one of the biggest reasons that fansubs are targeted so heavily now.

Subtitles are not an original work, nor are translations, the copyright still belongs to the original creator or studios and the concepts of freedom of speech and freedom of press do not apply. Intellectual property is not referenced in the constitution in any way, however there is plenty of mention of if and the unauthorized use of it in the International Copyright Laws. Pretty much exclusively as a crime, which is what fansubbing is, when you break it down to the basic facts.

The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a federal law that allows for the full or partial disclosure of previously unreleased information and documents controlled by the United States Government. It has nothing whatsoever to do with privately owned works, no matter what medium they are presented in. Also, Japanese anime studios are, fairly obviously, not the United States Government. What you seem to think the FOIA means is that you can wander into the bookstore, grab whatever you want to read and walk out with it, without paying. This is so obviously not the case that a sane person wouldn't even consider doing it.

Now, as I said, I watch fansubs. I LIKE fansubs, and often feel that they are superior products to licensed subs. But at least I have the self-respect to not lie to myself and act like I'm supporting some sort of modern Robin Hood society when I'm just another internet video pirate.


Your logic is flawless, good job!

I was gonna post something here but then I read your post and now there's nothing to add
95160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/27/11
as much as I would love to indulge my impatient side to watch such a great series, where a Legal option is available I choose the legal option. There is much more involved here than "I want my show and I want it now".


Internet streaming has to become a viable business model for distribution because that is the best direction for both the creators and the fans. For that to happen we the fans need to support it and show the creators that it works and that we support their efforts to entertain us.
1266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Wisconsin, United...
Offline
Posted 4/27/11

newyorkmetsman wrote:


Sekiryo wrote:


newyorkmetsman wrote:


Sekiryo wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


newyorkmetsman wrote:

Anyone else realize that someone is subbing Ao No Excorsist like 2 days earlier than CR? Whoever it is did a really good job too they have my thanks.


Yes same.. I find crunchy is a little slow on the ball.. So I don't really watch my anime on CR. I have better places for watching anime, I go to crunchy for the debates.


And where would these places be outside of fansub torrents/ddl? I watch the shows CR gets on CR to help things along so they can grab rights to more shows so they can have ratings to show off. its not so much and i can watch anime on the go without downloading anything and stuff.

CR isn't slow on the ball, they just get rights from certain channels. other stations in different regions of japan air things at different days/times.

No mater how you slice the pie, you still get the next episode in 7 days.


Why wait 7 days when I can watch it in 5. Don't forget fansubs is what made CR what it is today.


Uh, 7 days from when you watched it is when the next one comes out. Do the math.
Watching Ep.2 2 days early doesn't make Ep3 come out even quicker.


Perhaps I didn't explain or perhaps you're to stupid to understand. But if what you say is true and a different station is releasing the show 2 days earlier than whatever station CR shares a license with then I'm going to watch it 2 days earlier. Why watch it on a wednesday if I can watch it on a monday. You do the math asshole.
I suspect that people would want to watch the episodes LEGALLY from Crunchyroll, VizAnime, Hulu and/or Anime News Network. That's how I watch Blue Exorcist. I don't touch the fansubbed stuff at all.

killar 
69281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 4/27/11

I want to shake your hand and buy you a beer. That was an excellent post.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.