First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
A world without religion?
2920 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Singapore
Offline
Posted 1/14/08 , edited 4/18/08
probably worse.. cuz i think that in the past, people behaves well so that when they die, they believe that they will go somewhere better...
455 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Redcar
Offline
Posted 1/14/08 , edited 4/18/08
a world with no religion would be better but there would still be problems in the world
5245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/14/08 , edited 4/18/08

cute_memo wrote:

Religion is your believes. It builds your believes and ethics
We believe in judgment day, heaven and hell
If u don’t believe in those things, then what stops u from killing, stealing,…etc ??

I know some wars started because of Religion, but Religion saved huminity from disasters much bigger than wars.


So.. Basically, what you're saying here is that when we have no religion, we have no moral values? So people who don't have a religion at this time already are unreliable, selfish and evil persons?
Oh, yes, that makes perfect sense.

A world without religion would be great. People wouldn't be killing eachother because they worship another god anymore. Homosexual people wouldn't be discriminated. Women would have been equal to men a long time ago. A lot less people would have died from aids (and other STD's).

Also, people wouldn't just follow some stupid book. They would want to figure things out for themselves, and not just believe it because 'it says so in the bible'. People could actually understand that everyone is equal. Because, you know, my neighbour is a nice guy and all, but he doesn't believe so he will be going to hell. There would be nothing like that.

Also, it's not like people will start being evil without a religion. I know atheists who are the most wonderful people in the world. They're nice, they're amazing. I also know a lot of Christians that are heartless bastards. Religion doesn't say anything about what kind of person you are. I don't believe I will be rewarded for being nice, I don't believe I will go to heaven, but still I try to be as nice as I can be. It makes me happy.

A world without religion would be far greater than a world with religion. I'm not saying perfect, but it's just that a lot of horrible things have happened because of religion. That's too bad.
4291 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / [Singapore]
Offline
Posted 1/14/08 , edited 4/18/08
i think it might be better cos there are a lot of views on religion and not all are positive.
1028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 1/14/08 , edited 4/18/08

Hitoli wrote:
A world without religion would be far greater than a world with religion. I'm not saying perfect, but it's just that a lot of horrible things have happened because of religion. That's too bad.


Religion introduces sacrificies, and self-sacrifice for the 'good' of many.
Posted 1/14/08 , edited 4/18/08
peaceful think of all the wars fought in the name of religion and divine presence
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 1/14/08 , edited 4/18/08
without religion it wouldnt matter if you do good or bad because there isnt any heaven and hell. Pretty much why I want to have more good deeds over bad because I do not want to burn in hell. Not saying all religious people but most you see are very kind if they follow their religion the correct way.
278 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/14/08 , edited 4/18/08

Hitoli wrote:

A world without religion would be great. People wouldn't be killing eachother because they worship another god anymore. Homosexual people wouldn't be discriminated. Women would have been equal to men a long time ago. A lot less people would have died from aids (and other STD's).



First off, do you mean when someone religious kills another person he does it because of his religion. Or does he do it despite his religion?
The latter seem closer to the truth for me.

I believe homosexual people would still be discriminated even if there were no religion. I'd say discrimination against them would persist as long as humans can see the difference between men and women, physiologically.

-----------------------

I can't see how the world would be better without religion. As far as my history knowledge goes, religion, both as punishment for doing evil and rewards for doing good, has kept the world in check. This is true. Many kings used religion as an excuse to go into war ("I got my power from God, lets do this ****" bla bla). But think about the developement of the world. Without wars and s*** we would be stuck in the stoneage.

My point is without a greater power we wouldn't have come this far as a race. We needed something that kept us together, and poof! Religion.
5245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/14/08 , edited 4/18/08

drizza wrote:

without religion it wouldnt matter if you do good or bad because there isnt any heaven and hell. Pretty much why I want to have more good deeds over bad because I do not want to burn in hell. Not saying all religious people but most you see are very kind if they follow their religion the correct way.


What's better?
Being nice because you want to go to heaven?
Or being nice just... because you want to be a nice person?

Well, I'd say the second one. I don't believe in heaven or hell. I try to be a good person just because I feel comfortable with that. What you're implying is that people would be evil without religion, but that probably says more about your own personality than about other people.
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 1/14/08 , edited 4/18/08
I am saying both because without religion I dont know how I would turn out to be. I lived in a rough area and I could have been peer pressured into doing a lot of things. If my parents didnt tell me the importance of my religion and right and wrong I would have been a problem child. Religion has turned a lot of peoples lives around. My dad perfect example when he was a kid he got kicked out of his house and was living on the streets because he was so damn bad. He was introduced into islam, started reading books, and is now and MIT graduate and has a good job. He told me it was all because of the religion that kept him that way. Like I said everyone is different but this is the way I feel.

p.s. and I also want to go to heaven. But if you dont believe that religion is right for this world then thats you but I am not going to get into a net fight over it as well.
5245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/14/08 , edited 4/18/08

larendilly wrote:


Hitoli wrote:

A world without religion would be great. People wouldn't be killing eachother because they worship another god anymore. Homosexual people wouldn't be discriminated. Women would have been equal to men a long time ago. A lot less people would have died from aids (and other STD's).



First off, do you mean when someone religious kills another person he does it because of his religion. Or does he do it despite his religion?
The latter seem closer to the truth for me.

I believe homosexual people would still be discriminated even if there were no religion. I'd say discrimination against them would persist as long as humans can see the difference between men and women, physiologically.


No, homosexuals are mainly being discriminated because it says in the bible that it's a sin. There are homosexual animals as well, it's completely natural! But because the bible says so, those animals probably are sinner too.

And people actually killed each other because they didn't agree about religion. Muslims flying into towers, christians going on crusade, in Ireland protestants and catholics had major problems.. It's all because of they're religion. You should believe in the god that I think is the right one, or else you're a bad person.
1200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / sydney, australia
Offline
Posted 1/14/08 , edited 4/18/08
worse, we wouldn't enjoy the complex legal systems we currently have if it wasn't for theocratic morals/laws
1902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / most likely in bed.
Offline
Posted 1/14/08 , edited 4/18/08
I think a world without religion is possible but a world without crazy people with crazy ideas and plenty of brainwashed people following them is impossible.
2546 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 1/14/08 , edited 4/18/08
Looking at some of the actual arguments posted, I can only conclude that the world would be a lot different, but better or worse? Impossible to say.
It would be like saying if guns were never invented. People wouldn't have the ability to kill others so easily, there'd be a lot less fear in the world, as well as crime, war, lots of other bad stuff. However, gunpowder wouldn't be so widely used, hence some of our technology wouldn't exist. People would still kill, declare war, commit crimes, etc using crossbows and swords and other stuff. Then there'd be other ways of stopping these crimes that consists of...like...a computerized crossbow...Yeah..You get the picture.
So which one would you say is "better"? Hell, the world might end up with exactly the same mentalities, morals and stuff, but with some iconic differences. Like instead of churches, we have freak scientists.

Theres my pointless conclusion...
On a more down to daily life look, if religion didn't exist, I wouldn't have my parents nagging me to go to church. That would be good.
2546 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 1/14/08 , edited 4/18/08

Hitoli wrote:

No, homosexuals are mainly being discriminated because it says in the bible that it's a sin. There are homosexual animals as well, it's completely natural! But because the bible says so, those animals probably are sinner too.

And people actually killed each other because they didn't agree about religion. Muslims flying into towers, christians going on crusade, in Ireland protestants and catholics had major problems.. It's all because of they're religion. You should believe in the god that I think is the right one, or else you're a bad person.



Homosexual animals WHAT THE SHIT??????
I demand source.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.