First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
End of TokyoPop - Let Crunchyroll Take Over!!
13427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / East of the Sun a...
Offline
Posted 4/28/11
So... I am assuming that many of us have heard about the demise of TokyoPop...
http://manga.about.com/b/2011/04/16/tokyopop-to-close-its-u-s-manga-publishing-offices.htm

Sadly, this means the end of a publishing giant... so... where will we get our manga??

...yes... I am sure many of us will continue looking online for scans... BUT...

HOW ABOUT WE BEG CRUNCHYROLL TO START A NEW VENTURE AND TAKE OVER WHERE TOKYOPOP LEFT OFF???

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT - ADD YOUR COMMENTS!!
114160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / in a world where...
Offline
Posted 4/28/11
im surprised they lasted this long...


HOW ABOUT WE BEG CRUNCHYROLL TO START A NEW VENTURE AND TAKE OVER WHERE TOKYOPOP LEFT OFF???


u crazy?! have u any idea how much money it would take to do that? i dont think CR would survive a move like that
13427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / East of the Sun a...
Offline
Posted 4/28/11

uhohimdead wrote:

im surprised they lasted this long...


HOW ABOUT WE BEG CRUNCHYROLL TO START A NEW VENTURE AND TAKE OVER WHERE TOKYOPOP LEFT OFF???


u crazy?! have u any idea how much money it would take to do that? i dont think CR would survive a move like that


There's no reason for you to be rude.

I think it would be great if Crunchyroll could get licenses and at least have the manga online and then eventually move to publishing some of it.

From a business perspective, starting out small would be smart in order to analyze the success before investing further capital. I never said that they needed to take over everything... just to take advantage of the space left in the market by a player leaving the field.
114160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / in a world where...
Offline
Posted 4/28/11

kyrissanean wrote:


uhohimdead wrote:

im surprised they lasted this long...


HOW ABOUT WE BEG CRUNCHYROLL TO START A NEW VENTURE AND TAKE OVER WHERE TOKYOPOP LEFT OFF???


u crazy?! have u any idea how much money it would take to do that? i dont think CR would survive a move like that


There's no reason for you to be rude.

I think it would be great if Crunchyroll could get licenses and at least have the manga online and then eventually move to publishing some of it.

From a business perspective, starting out small would be smart in order to analyze the success before investing further capital. I never said that they needed to take over everything... just to take advantage of the space left in the market by a player leaving the field.


i wasnt trying to b, to u at least... getting the rights to host manga and the rights to publish them are two separate things i would prefer the former over the latter. cheaper over all

i wouldnt jump the gun to take tokyopop's place at lest until u silence all the scanlets and free manga hosting sites that rob customers from the official business.
66747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 4/28/11
....just listen to ann's pod cast on this. tokoyo pop didn't have that much left as far I know and publishing manga takes a long to time. If cr where to do digital copies for download on devices then I could see it working but even then the head of tokoyo pop didn't want to sell it nor cared enough. Tokoyo pop didn't even hold onto that much anymore so to the person above me yeah hmm if some brings over a manga and stops because it's not a immediate hit then what do the fans that can't read Japanese do? They go the other method, tokoyo's pop problem was the fact they didn't catch up with the digital age nor did they try to get decent titles all the time. On topic for cr to do anything there really isn't a thing cr can do as i have stated before if you see half the manga you own from tokoyo pop, even love hina or drama con where dropped before they went out of business so what do they even have left for cr to do?
13278 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/29/11
i think its unfortunate that tokyo pop has ended its north american publishing which means that what few titles they were publishing or still had plans of publishing are in the air as so far they havent said what is going to happen to both the titles that they were publishing or planning to publish since they will still hold the english licensing for those titles so unless the japanese publisher decided to do like kodansha has in creating their own north american branch to publish their titles there is little hope of the titles being completed. hopefully tokyo pop makes a statement about what is going to happen with the titles they have under license.

it would be interesting to see CR branch into hosting manga but it probably wont be a possibility because it could end up affecting what anime they will be able to get licensing for.

68576 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Utah
Offline
Posted 4/29/11
Crunchyroll, and its partnership with Bitway, has already been working to get manga online for awhile now. But CR is not going to be licensing the manga themselves.

-moose
46564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 4/29/11
I'm indeed devastated with NA Tokyopop's shut down... I think their translations were excellent. :'D
And they handle all my favorite manga series! D: (Loveless, Hetalia, Junjou, Sekaiichi)
But Crunchyroll...? Nah. I'd rather have other publishers take over the famous titles. (Like Yen Press or something.)

Too bad, Hetalia was a bestseller... ;-; (And I was hoping I could wait 4 more years to buy yaoi, ughn)
7983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Chesapeake, Va
Offline
Posted 4/30/11
I'm pretty sure the more popular ones like Hetalia (and hopefully Maid Sama) will be picked up by other publishers. About what moose was saying, after OM shut down, CR had a forum going on about trying to work the manga aspect into its repertoire. Here's hopin'.
kvi 
52612 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Planet Mars
Online
Posted 4/30/11
Love em or Hate em, Tokyopop was a big player in the business. It can't be a good sign if they're out of the game.
73221 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / somewhere where d...
Offline
Posted 4/30/11
TokyoPop first introduced me to manga... and ultimately the raving lunatic I am now in regards to anime and manga. To say I was 'upset' the lost the rights to my favorite series EVER, 'GetBackers' is a gross understatement. With still at least 10 more volumes left of the series, I'm saddened it will never be complete. However, I do agree with the demise of TokyoPop doesn't bode well for the industry in the U.S.
44220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / California
Offline
Posted 4/30/11 , edited 4/30/11
Digital distribution is the Mecca of the entertainment industry.

You can talk about costs and the economy all you want, but I believe that it is availability and ease of access which figure most strongly into the minds of consumers.

One of the reasons I like CR so much is that I'm getting a product I want from a provider I feel I can trust. I'd like to think that anyone with even a small amount of disposable income is liable to feel this way.

This whole ordeal poses an interesting question. Could a legitimate site ever do what a free site can do? Or would a large scale monthly membership manga reader be doomed to failure simply because there would be no way to compete with the sheer volume of free translations offered by their erstwhile competitors?



(EDIT: I also really hope some picks up the Samurai Harem license ; _ ;)
13427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / East of the Sun a...
Offline
Posted 5/2/11 , edited 5/2/11

Butonz17 wrote:

Digital distribution is the Mecca of the entertainment industry.

You can talk about costs and the economy all you want, but I believe that it is availability and ease of access which figure most strongly into the minds of consumers.

One of the reasons I like CR so much is that I'm getting a product I want from a provider I feel I can trust. I'd like to think that anyone with even a small amount of disposable income is liable to feel this way.

This whole ordeal poses an interesting question. Could a legitimate site ever do what a free site can do? Or would a large scale monthly membership manga reader be doomed to failure simply because there would be no way to compete with the sheer volume of free translations offered by their erstwhile competitors?



(EDIT: I also really hope some picks up the Samurai Harem license ; _ ;)


...maybe if they offered downloads to digital readers... ?? (Isn't VIZ doing something like that??)

- but I have to agree that it would be difficult to compete - then again this sort of thing has happened before with Napster and the like... but that was only after a lot of pressure was put to close down other sites... ah... who knows what will happen...
44220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/2/11


Honestly, I'd pay up to 15 bucks a month for an extensive manga library. CR isn't all encompassing, but it's usually got more then enough to satisfy me on a day to day basis. Perhaps I'm just being pessimistic when I think that any site which tries to do things the right way is destined to fail.

I will look at what Viz is up to in that regard. That's part of he problem with internet distribution, no matter how i great I think it is. How do you know about it unless you visit a related site?
48805 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 5/3/11
$15/month would be too much for me, at least all year round. However, it would be cool if CR got the rights to upload some of TokyoPop's titles.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.