The Morality Complexity behind Aiding Suicide with the help of the Internet
Posted 5/5/11 , edited 5/5/11
First off, please read the following news article. In order to understand the premises of the argument:

My first problem is highlighted in red, as in the concept of "punishment is justice". Because this is only true within the context of a crime already committed by the guilty individuals, thereby punishment as a means is to act as a future deterrent for just said crime. However the nature of punishment itself had failed that hypothetical crime prevention, when it's unjustifiable to punish individuals who hadn't commit a crime in the first place. Therefore punishment as a means to disperse justice is itself problematic at best, unless first experiencing the crime in progress in the first place, all the while without prejudgment. Thus avoiding a contradiction within the laws of cause and effect.

Now back to the case in point, as in how is aiding suicide a crime in the first place? In order to answer that we had to look at exactly just what the guilty individual had done, and that's highlighted in bold. Here's an individual who's personal obsession regarding suicide, had led him onto identifying, profiling, and then successfully manipulating two other individuals who suffered from depression beforehand, to kill themselves through his manipulation on the Internet. All the while the individual intentionally lied about his real identity and intention, by himself pretending to be a female nurse feigning compassion, and never came to real physical contact with either one of his victims.

And before anyone of you start drumming that "it's not gonna be me" Bystander mentality, keep in mind that you just had an encounter with your own self-righteous confirmation bias. Not only that, due the unforeseen side-effect of how the Internet as an impersonal socialization agent can further increase confirmation bias, thanks to no small part of increasingly personalize social network algorithm. Which only serves to further narrowing and distorting our perception on our own worldview.

So back to the scene of the crime again, just how can punishment really achieve social justice? Within the context of democratic debate, not unrealistic sense of entitlement caused by biases. I mean look, when it's legal to establish punishment on someone intentionally misleading others, and caused harms as a result. Why is it that intentionally misleading yet sensationalized children advertisement scheme, and brand marketing, are being allow to go unpunished? It's as if nobody was complaining about the malicious and manipulating intents, when they saw the quick short-term profit gain, at the cost of long-term societal collapse. Especially considering the higher suicide rate and depressions caused by such dishonesty.
Posted 5/5/11
this man was obsessed with suicide, his form of OCD...he haunted the depressed chat rooms like a will o the wisp
hiding under the guise of a helper....

harm did happen.....but he did not pull the trigger....sort of a before the net, Charles Manson mind manchurian candidate thing..

he helped them all right, to a magic carpet ride to death but he was mentally unstable also...

I can see your point about the marketing tactics and the same mind bending brand marketing...let alone the pillagers
of Wall Street and their ponzi schemes....resulting I would suspect in a grand toll of dishonesty and a higher rate of self death,
depression, etc..
Posted 5/5/11 , edited 5/5/11
Click YES and Dr. Kevorkian appears in your home to assist you in your passing.

If someone tried to convince me to kill myself through trolling, I'd counter troll them, yet not with much hope that they'd actually carry out ending their own lives. It's funny the kicks people get from the suffering of others, but that is just plain old sadism. If you want to spend your life attempting to make others end their lives, you might want to consider whether or not you should even allow yourself to live.
66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 5/5/11
hmm we talked about this a bit on face book dom. I am going to state this, i am a "troll" not a good one or even professional I do post links and say things to piss people off online at times "when other people post stupid sh** of course" but mainly I just do it for kick like posting a link to you-tube like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0 to get some mad but i don't do it to push some one to kiill themselves. I am not that type of person and to be honest I have been "a victim" of this myself with hate mail from here with my other accounts, just other things that people didn't like. This was before i started "trolling" so maybe i do it out of spite or quick laugh but things like this do make me sick..

Then comes the question can things like this be monitored? Yes but do we have the man power and time? No we do not at this time due to the fact that most people are pissed off because we didn't desecrate osama bin ladien's body after we killed him.. really.. come the hell on. That's going off subject though. This is different from a case where I have heard of online bullying drove a young teen to commit suicide but my question is this.. why didn't the girl unplug the damn computer or just nuke her account in which trying to avoid these people. you might not be able to avoid these people in real life but on the net you have the freedom to block/remove pest like these but this is my sense of logic however. Aye.. I don't even know how I would handle a case like this.
Posted 5/5/11 , edited 5/5/11

xWhiskeyLynnx wrote:

this man was obsessed with suicide, his form of OCD...he haunted the depressed chat rooms like a will o the wisp
hiding under the guise of a helper....

harm did happen.....but he did not pull the trigger....sort of a before the net, Charles Manson mind manchurian candidate thing..

he helped them all right, to a magic carpet ride to death but he was mentally unstable also...

I can see your point about the marketing tactics and the same mind bending brand marketing...let alone the pillagers
of Wall Street and their ponzi schemes....resulting I would suspect in a grand toll of dishonesty and a higher rate of self death,
depression, etc..
I don't think he was mentally unstable in any sense, for he knew exactly what he wanted and how to obtain it from certain individuals. He knew his victim all too well, well enough to take advantage off them and exploiting them for what he desire.

Which is why that without anyone directly dying at the hands of the corporations, it's hard for people to realize the actual harms that these fictional yet "legal" entities can really do.


Sonovabitch wrote:

Click YES and Dr. Kevorkian appears in your home to assist you in your passing.

If someone tried to convince me to kill myself through trolling, I'd counter troll them, yet not with much hope that they'd actually carry out ending their own lives. It's funny the kicks people get from the suffering of others, but that is just plain old sadism. If you want to spend your life attempting to make others end their lives, you might want to consider whether or not you should even allow yourself to live.
Then welcome to your living hell, aka the Straw Man called your legal identity.


Cecilthedarkknight234 wrote:

hmm we talked about this a bit on face book dom. I am going to state this, i am a "troll" not a good one or even professional I do post links and say things to piss people off online at times "when other people post stupid sh** of course" but mainly I just do it for kick like posting a link to you-tube like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0 to get some mad but i don't do it to push some one to kiill themselves. I am not that type of person and to be honest I have been "a victim" of this myself with hate mail from here with my other accounts, just other things that people didn't like. This was before i started "trolling" so maybe i do it out of spite or quick laugh but things like this do make me sick..

Then comes the question can things like this be monitored? Yes but do we have the man power and time? No we do not at this time due to the fact that most people are pissed off because we didn't desecrate osama bin ladien's body after we killed him.. really.. come the hell on. That's going off subject though. This is different from a case where I have heard of online bullying drove a young teen to commit suicide but my question is this.. why didn't the girl unplug the damn computer or just nuke her account in which trying to avoid these people. you might not be able to avoid these people in real life but on the net you have the freedom to block/remove pest like these but this is my sense of logic however. Aye.. I don't even know how I would handle a case like this.
What's the Chinese media censorship and invasive monitoring. Nothing is impossible for their indomitable "can do" mentality.

As for detaching from these manipulative predators, don't forget that they're incredibly deceiving yet persuasive with their intents. They're unlike your average flamers or trolls.
66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 5/5/11 , edited 5/5/11


to be fair i do not want to be monitored online that's an invasion of privacy to me and why I do online is none of the governments business but his is just me and yes I am more than aware of these people. They drive and want kicks out people doing harm themselves like I said i have been there and came close myself once to doing that deed to myself because some on find away to exploit my depression to their advantage. The best solution I can come up with at this moment if your on an anonymous board just ignore these people you don't know there name, how old they are or where they come from so don't take them seriously.

People in chat rooms and face book that you personally know that do this to you just report them to the admins and have proof/screen caps to show how your being treated in order for them to treated accordingly online by banning their IP or account. This is a tough issues and hits home for me a lot of things but hmm I need more time to think. below is an example of screen said screen cap.


Posted 5/5/11 , edited 5/6/11
-deleted for irrelevancy-
66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 5/5/11


Posted 5/5/11 , edited 5/6/11
-deleted for irrelevancy-
Posted 5/6/11

Cecilthedarkknight234 wrote:


DomFortress wrote:
What's the Chinese media censorship and invasive monitoring. Nothing is impossible for their indomitable "can do" mentality.

As for detaching from these manipulative predators, don't forget that they're incredibly deceiving yet persuasive with their intents. They're unlike your average flamers or trolls.


to be fair i do not want to be monitored online that's an invasion of privacy to me and why I do online is none of the governments business but his is just me and yes I am more than aware of these people. They drive and want kicks out people doing harm themselves like I said i have been there and came close myself once to doing that deed to myself because some on find away to exploit my depression to their advantage. The best solution I can come up with at this moment if your on an anonymous board just ignore these people you don't know there name, how old they are or where they come from so don't take them seriously.

People in chat rooms and face book that you personally know that do this to you just report them to the admins and have proof/screen caps to show how your being treated in order for them to treated accordingly online by banning their IP or account. This is a tough issues and hits home for me a lot of things but hmm I need more time to think. below is an example of screen said screen cap.


But do they claim themselves as some sorta authorities, that specialize in some form of social support or another? I don't see many of them around in my dealing online, while heck, I used to be in an intimate relationship with a real nurse for 5 years. And still she started lying to me and ended up throwing the first punch in the breakup. In other words, even the closest person that I thought I should know in real life, ended up being untrustworthy. Irregardless of her professional ethics.

Guys, how's any of those were in anywhere relevant or critical to the topic at hands? Be constrictive or else with all due respect, I'll have them struck down for irrelevancy.
66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 5/6/11


one you have my apologizes and two hmm i think that face book and cr have great mods/support that will help with certain things. there is difference though i am more open online than offline due to the fact i don't live no where near anybody on this site " I live in the state Kentucky in case your wondering" and well this is great out reach for me and the hobbies I like to talk about. I am also sorry to hear about your gf.. that's tough but i will give you one thing your more out going than me and you have more an positive attitude on this than i do. On subject i have seen cases like this online myself and have reported them when they do happen to the admins but that's all I can really do. I just don't think government should regulate what I do online because we all know power hungry they can get by censoring what they want you hear and see and the internet is the last out cry for freedom of speech and standing up for things you don't like, just like this thread. Aye.. Maybe i have become cynical from being from "4chan" for 6/7 years of my life and that place can warp ones mind.... do you have anything else to discuss on this?
Posted 5/6/11

Cecilthedarkknight234 wrote:



one you have my apologizes and two hmm i think that face book and cr have great mods/support that will help with certain things. there is difference though i am more open online than offline due to the fact i don't live no where near anybody on this site " I live in the state Kentucky in case your wondering" and well this is great out reach for me and the hobbies I like to talk about. I am also sorry to hear about your gf.. that's tough but i will give you one thing your more out going than me and you have more an positive attitude on this than i do. On subject i have seen cases like this online myself and have reported them when they do happen to the admins but that's all I can really do. I just don't think government should regulate what I do online because we all know power hungry they can get by censoring what they want you hear and see and the internet is the last out cry for freedom of speech and standing up for things you don't like, just like this thread. Aye.. Maybe i have become cynical from being from "4chan" for 6/7 years of my life and that place can warp ones mind.... do you have anything else to discuss on this?
I think that people should revisit and critique the concept of objective morality through the art of democratic debate, as in just what should be the right thing to do, and why not within certain context. All the while outside the context of organized religious doctrines and practices, because personally speaking I think they're just plain whacked.
66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 5/7/11

DomFortress wrote:


Cecilthedarkknight234 wrote:



one you have my apologizes and two hmm i think that face book and cr have great mods/support that will help with certain things. there is difference though i am more open online than offline due to the fact i don't live no where near anybody on this site " I live in the state Kentucky in case your wondering" and well this is great out reach for me and the hobbies I like to talk about. I am also sorry to hear about your gf.. that's tough but i will give you one thing your more out going than me and you have more an positive attitude on this than i do. On subject i have seen cases like this online myself and have reported them when they do happen to the admins but that's all I can really do. I just don't think government should regulate what I do online because we all know power hungry they can get by censoring what they want you hear and see and the internet is the last out cry for freedom of speech and standing up for things you don't like, just like this thread. Aye.. Maybe i have become cynical from being from "4chan" for 6/7 years of my life and that place can warp ones mind.... do you have anything else to discuss on this?
I think that people should revisit and critique the concept of objective morality through the art of democratic debate, as in just what should be the right thing to do, and why not within certain context. All the while outside the context of organized religious doctrines and practices, because personally speaking I think they're just plain whacked.


Hmm I see where you going with this and people well... sadly will just be who they are and use means to back it up no matter how irrational it sounds. I do not have any religious beliefs one way or the other but even for me a place like hell would be nice for bastards that did do horrible things in life but this just me but then comes the other side because if you do commit suicide then that's an a "unforgivable sin" by most and there for you go to hell no matter what the reason. I will not be on much today if at all and I am sorry for the late reply, the yearly "Kentucky derby" for where I live is today and I am going to go out and try to have some fun at a party to get break myself from the net for at least a day.
250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 6/20/11
Pretty much murder. >:/ Just murder done from behind the screen of a computer where he felt no harm could come to him...a 'safe' way to murder, to feel like he'd been solely responsible for ending someone's life and like he was, therefore, powerful. What a complete pathetic excuse for a human. He should be serving a sentence for murder, I think. And who knows how many other people he's made commit suicide whose deaths have gone unconnected to him?
Posted 6/21/11

sn0wf0x wrote:

Pretty much murder. >:/ Just murder done from behind the screen of a computer where he felt no harm could come to him...a 'safe' way to murder, to feel like he'd been solely responsible for ending someone's life and like he was, therefore, powerful. What a complete pathetic excuse for a human. He should be serving a sentence for murder, I think. And who knows how many other people he's made commit suicide whose deaths have gone unconnected to him?
But keep in mind the subject that is aiding suicide, and consider this scenario about a fictional society that practice just such custom, as an universal law on the aging population. Now how's your personal conviction make sense of their determination on preserving their dignity? Moreover, why is it OK for a society to decide who's more valuable and meaningful than others? Simply because they're relatively more youthful, not better.
You must be logged in to post.